Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am a broken human who can't hit headshots with hitscan heroes but nails them consistently with projectile heroes and am p good at landing direct pharah rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Donnerberg posted:

I never feel in control on Gibraltar. It's the map where I die the most.

Most OW maps have that TF2 feel to me where it's kind of a controlled chaos, but Gibraltar is like Battlefield with the same bullshit deaths from out of nowhere and the same downtime running from spawn.

Interesting. Gibraltar is I think my favorite map, followed by Dorado I guess. I don't play other fps though so I don't know what a good fps map looks like. :downs:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Efexeye posted:

what's gold? 2kSR? I just hit my highest SR of the season last night. There's something to be said for trying to headshot with non-hitscan characters since that is literally the only thing I changed about my play. Gained 700 SR in the past 2 weeks

e: for reference, these are the rewards for which tier you hit. season ends november 24th, so keep that in mind if you want to tryhard your way up the ranks

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 26, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Kashuno posted:

I am a broken human who can't hit headshots with hitscan heroes but nails them consistently with projectile heroes and am p good at landing direct pharah rockets.

Isn't this because the hit boxes for those projectiles are extremely generous? I've noticed this too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's not dumb in league, but that's mainly because of the cost associated with actually owning every champion.

it's absolutely dumb in league, it's just that gameplay unlockables are egregious bullshit in a competitive game to begin with

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Isn't this because the hit boxes for those projectiles are extremely generous? I've noticed this too.

If projectiles don't have generous hitboxes you'll have arrows flying straight through heads and doing nothing constantly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Slime posted:

If projectiles don't have generous hitboxes you'll have arrows flying straight through heads and doing nothing constantly.

Projectiles were absolutely fine as they were post-nerf. It had the unfortunate side effect of making certain characters underpowered but that should have been fixed by a) reining in some of the most OP hitscan heroes and b) buffing them in other ways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bring back the poo poo projectile hitbox and give it to nothing but scatter arrow

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Projectiles were absolutely fine as they were post-nerf. It had the unfortunate side effect of making certain characters underpowered but that should have been fixed by a) reining in some of the most OP hitscan heroes and b) buffing them in other ways.

nah it actually did break the projectile hitbox in some cases, you could miss people you hit dead on. reverting the hitboxes entirely was probably an overreaction tho

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's absolutely dumb in league, it's just that gameplay unlockables are egregious bullshit in a competitive game to begin with

Most people I see main a role and a set of champions within that role and one other, in case their first choice is banned or taken. It helps that their new role queue allows players to guarantee which roles they'll be playing. Gameplay unlockables are bullshit, but you can't just leave parts of the game on the table and ignore them.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've heard it for a long time in WoW where people have their main character vs. alternate characters, but it's a slightly different meaning. you'd say something like "my druid is my main"

i don't think i started hearing "i main ___" or "i'm a ___ main" until much more recently. maybe in smite.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Kashuno posted:

The only heroes I'm even remotely good at all happen to be hitscan. I only realized this yesterday. Its probably from having fps roots in CS beta 4 to 1.6 and not from stuff like Quake. The whole concept of projectile DPS is utterly baffling to me and feels like leading targets in pre beta 6 CS (before client prediction netcode) on a 56k modem connection across the atlantic. Absolutely horrible at anticipating changes in movement and direction. Even with tree trunk hitboxes compared to hitscan weapons, I can just about manage to hit a barn door, but only if its right in front of me.

I've been QPing Zenyatta alot lately to get a proper feel for how to play projectile dps but I lose basically every match now because as soon as I pick Zen everyone else thinks "we have a healer ergo hunting license to yolo with 5 dps". The contempt is palpable when they realise my puny orbs of harmony can't outheal damage received due to not being able to kill anything.

But I'm trying man. I'm trying. :smithicide:

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 26, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

they took out the thing where if u had the detonator in hand used it and punched IMMEDIATLY afterwards you'd toss the detonator out your hand

WHY I LOVED THAT WHEN I WAS MINE HOPPING

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't know what a good fps map looks like. :downs:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

verbal enema posted:

they took out the thing where if u had the detonator in hand used it and punched IMMEDIATLY afterwards you'd toss the detonator out your hand

WHY I LOVED THAT WHEN I WAS MINE HOPPING

they broke a lot of fun things related to animation canceling with quick attack apparently

reaper used to be able to cancel his reload animation before it kicked in but after he dropped his guns so you could drop guns as fast as you were allowed to quick attack which means i was able to leave a trail of up to 12 golden guns whereever i went. now he just wont drop the guns if the reload was canceled...

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

looks like dickbutt tbh

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
they would be wise to let players have a map editor but blizzard likes to be in control of everything

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

they would be wise to let players have a map editor but blizzard likes to be in control of everything

Pits and jump pads everywhere.

Jump pads on ceilings jamming a player downward into pits as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idle maps with the ingame timer set so low that you can't get kicked for inactivity, following tf2's longstanding tradition of letting the game play itself for hats

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

This is a block of cheese a mouse got into

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Wisdom.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
First thing I'd do with a map editor is pharah only, shift disabled remake of q3dm17.

Sorry I lied. First thing I'd do would be to make a smallish map with a lot of dueling potential to skirmish around in friends. The game needs a custom game arena mode for those nights when you've played for too long to focus properly anymore, lost two out of your six stack and just want to skirmish and laugh at silly stuff that happens.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
WHEN DID THIS:

BECOME MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN THIS:

END MAPISM

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Defusing the bomb is often much harder on the counter-terrorist than the terrorist.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

All I can see is loss.jpg now.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

low gravity
instagib

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Foxhound posted:

low gravity
instagib
I have wonderful memories of this map with those settings at LAN parties when I was like 15.

UT'99 is one of the GOAT

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Foxhound posted:

low gravity
instagib
Blizzard, please contrive some reason to have a half health, lowgrav Pharah-and-Widow brawl. thanks :allears:

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Also then professional orgs could get ahold of it as well. I bet ogn or kespa if they transition would do gr8 things.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLee6uvK7y8

kreygasm

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

strong bird posted:

Fucktard musicians picking one instrument and getting good at it instead of getting good at every instrument. smh

*slampicks theremin*

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Blizzard used to ship games with map editors and that's how we got MOBAs, so it's better this way.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
imagine if those MOBA players quarantined by the MOBA games we have today were set free on the rest of our games

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

Tweet Me Balls posted:

*slampicks theremin*

Could you go drummer? We already have another theramin, two basses, a mandolin, and a backup singer. We'll never be rock gods with this comp.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Snazzy Frocks posted:

imagine if those MOBA players quarantined by the MOBA games we have today were set free on the rest of our games

Oh no... Oh Jesus no...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Oh 2fort. You truly were a terrible map.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If it's so bad why were people playing it 24/7

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Because they were retarded.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the real answer is that 2fort was so utterly mindless that you could just dick around in it while barely paying attention. it's the ultimate podcast map. it's abysmal if you want to actually play a video game tho

at least it's not hydro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

I'm a hipster