Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
yep Lamy 2Ks write thicker than Japanese nibs. I have an EF Lamy 2k which writes like a Japanese fine to medium.

The only Japanese nib which writes thicker than expected for me is a Pilot VP medium nib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

Well, I'll get to find out if the TWSBI customer service / part replacement really is as good as I've heard, since a 14 year old student just sheared my VAC 700 cap in half today by trying to open it. Which is on the cap quality, not her, because she's not exactly built like Conan.

They want $9 US for shipping a new cap. gently caress off.

Scotch tape or something will have to do to hold the cap together, it's ugly but I'm not a huge fan of the pen in any case, just wish I hadn't spent so much on it. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Also, this goofy rear end thing showed up a few days ago:

Yes, I bought the steel nib and not the fusion nib.
I like Delta, but not enough to pay an extra $200 for a little gold plate.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Noodler's Ahab update:

I got it last night in clear demonstrator form and spent some time reading reviews. I was a little skeptical about my purchasing decision, so before my first use I disassembled the pen and gave it a nice dish soap bath for about ten minutes, then reassembled it to what looked like a good alignment. I filled it with Apache Sunset, which is an ink that I had high hopes for but ended up looking like rear end in every pen I used it in, so it became my test run ink.

I've never used a flex pen before, but the results were fantastic. Apache Sunset laid down thick and warm and finally started to resemble the photos I had seen online, and the shading came out beautifully. The pen flexes smoothly and barring some user error with regard to technique it seems to work very well. No leaks, no cap filled with ink. The pen itself is a meaty beast and feels great in my hand. I cleaned it out and refilled it with Ku-Jaku which looks God drat amazing.

I have a bottle of Black Swan in English Roses coming and I feel like it's the sort of color one would write love poems in. I may have to do some flex handwriting practice with it.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Pics please!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Heres an Imgur gallery. Sorry for the flash, the lighting in the room is poor and I wanted the shading to show up.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tochiazuma posted:

They want $9 US for shipping a new cap. gently caress off.

Scotch tape or something will have to do to hold the cap together, it's ugly but I'm not a huge fan of the pen in any case, just wish I hadn't spent so much on it. :(

Seems pretty reasonable :confused:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Did it break in a clean line or is it jagged? I am just trying to imagine how a vac700 could break - it feels so solid.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I had a vac 700 cap shear clean off at the metal band with the threads, separate entirely from the plastic part.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

Heres an Imgur gallery. Sorry for the flash, the lighting in the room is poor and I wanted the shading to show up.

Thanks! That does look really nice. I've been wanting to try a flex nib for awhile, is a brush pen comparable?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really want a Diamond 580 because I think it's a cool looking pen but TWSBI seems really divisive. Am I better off looking at something different that will be more distinct from the bunch of Metropolitans and Safaris I already have? I'm fully aware that I'm asking right after someone had a bad experience with their pens and with their customer service.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

neongrey posted:

I had a vac 700 cap shear clean off at the metal band with the threads, separate entirely from the plastic part.

That's exactly what happened with mine. The reply email reminded me not to 'overtighten' the cap since that puts wear and tear on it. Since I had already heard about cap issues even before buying the pen, I most certainly *didn't* overtighten it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

best bale posted:

Thanks! That does look really nice. I've been wanting to try a flex nib for awhile, is a brush pen comparable?

I haven't used one to compare them, but it feels like writing with a metal brush.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

RichterIX posted:

I really want a Diamond 580 because I think it's a cool looking pen but TWSBI seems really divisive. Am I better off looking at something different that will be more distinct from the bunch of Metropolitans and Safaris I already have? I'm fully aware that I'm asking right after someone had a bad experience with their pens and with their customer service.

I've got a 580 and a Mini and use the hell out of them, but I've had them for less than six months. It seems like the majority of problems were with older TWSBIs, but there are enough complaints that I'm careful, and I would absolutely warn a new buyer that it's possible. I'd be pretty upset if one broke from lid tightening. $9 to ship a lid is nuts, imo. I'd pay it, but complain bitterly.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

TWSBI's customer service seems to have gotten worse over the last few years. When my first Diamond cracked down the barrel, I received most of a new pen free of charge. When the cap cracked, same thing. I bough a new nib for it that arrived with a channel-less feed, and they replaced the whole unit.

When my ECO came with a totally non-functional nib (the slit was cut so off-center that all of the tipping was to one side of it), they told me to gently caress off. They also are far more likely to charge for parts now, from what I've been told.

Hello TWSBIchat 2016.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Y'all convince me that I should just stick to Lamy and Pilot for everything.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

On the other hand, for about the same price my eco is a way nicer value than my safari. Both are meh compared to my $40 vanishing point though, what a deal that was.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heath posted:

stick to Pilot for everything.

this is my strategy, other than the occassional vintage pen

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

We were recently talking about purples with shading. I just now filled a pen with the new Sailor Jentle fuji-musume, and it's kind of gorgeous.

That's on Mnemosyne paper, and also shows the two other new colors we've got in the house, waka-uguishu and rikyu-cha.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
You're gonna need to post some pics of that Nakaya.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
What about Pelikan? (Re. quality and customer service.)

Athas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 26, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow that whole Four Seasons line is really pretty.
http://www.sailor.co.jp/lineup/fountainpen-others/13-1005

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

You're gonna need to post some pics of that Nakaya.

Oh, if you insist.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Athas posted:

What about Pelikan? (Re. quality and customer service.)

Pelikan is pretty solid quality wise but they have only a very casual relationship with consistent nib sizing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Somehow the Poussiere de lune ink I ordered arrived as Diablo Menthe. The sticker was for the correct ink with the bar code but the box was clearly not the same ink...I guess no one looks at the actual box when they are shipping items. I wrote the seller so hopefully I can get the ink I actually ordered but the Diablo Menthe looks interesting. I was really jonesing for a purple.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My favorite purples are J. Herbin Violette Pensee and Lamy Dark Lilac.

I wish you could get the dark lilac at all anymore. poo poo sold out immediately, I only got a sample!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

atholbrose posted:

Oh, if you insist.

hnnggrrrrhhhh

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Heath posted:

I've never used a flex pen before, but the results were fantastic.

Try a dip pen.
Grab a cheap (but not plastic) nib holder off of amazon and a pack of Zebra G nibs. It'll run you less than $20 altogether, if that.

I mean, I think the Ahab an alright pen for the price if you want huge wet lines, but the flex might as well not be there.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Klades posted:

Try a dip pen.
Grab a cheap (but not plastic) nib holder off of amazon and a pack of Zebra G nibs. It'll run you less than $20 altogether, if that.

I mean, I think the Ahab an alright pen for the price if you want huge wet lines, but the flex might as well not be there.

Apparently the Zebra G nibs will fit into an Ahab with some fiddling.

So I ordered a 10 pack, myself.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

pienipple posted:

My favorite purples are J. Herbin Violette Pensee and Lamy Dark Lilac.

I wish you could get the dark lilac at all anymore. poo poo sold out immediately, I only got a sample!

Yeah, I really like dark lilac and I couldn't even get it as a bottle, I had to get a box of cartridges like some sort of animal.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

grack posted:

Pelikan is pretty solid quality wise but they have only a very casual relationship with consistent nib sizing.

Is that how it is? I thought it was something like "their gold and steel nibs are sized differently." Or maybe it was the different model nib units that are all sized differently?

In any event Pelikan is at least pretty nice about that — I believe you get a month to change sizes if you don't like the one you got, and you could amass a small army, since the nib/feed is a single unit that just unscrews.

best bale posted:

An actual brush pen, or one of the felt/plastic ones? I'd probably rate an Ahab's ease of flex/use somewhere around a brush pen (marker); an actual brush pen (with bristles!) is far, far, easier to get variation out ofsplay the goddamn bristles everywhere and then have to spend ages spinning them back into form. It is good fun, though. I don't really have a use for mine, though so I haven't even finished this first cartridge; I'm kinda curious as to how well it'll play with regular fountain pen ink, rather than the ??? ink in it now*

* I've seen it listed as being some sort of carbon ink, but I really have no goddamn clue. Hell, that could've been for a different pocket brush pen, even. Apparently fountain pen ink'll work fine, but I'm slightly concerned it'd be a bit thin.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just to add an update regarding getting the wrong ink from amazon, after calling them they refunded the purchase, let me keep the wrong ink and said to reorder to get the one I wanted. Not ideal to get the wrong item, but it certainly makes up for it to still get what I want with the extra wait time and keep the ink they sent by mistake.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I ordered three NOS Senator Windsors off of eBay from a guy in Indonesia a month ago. The seller has a ton of positive feedback so that looks okay. However, it's still not here. The seller is saying to wait one more week but it's probably a dead deal and we'll figure something out--probably ship a new set. I'm not really thinking I'm getting screwed by the seller or anything. I'm just venting that my pens are probably in a shipping container that fell off a boat on its way to Singapore.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Is that how it is? I thought it was something like "their gold and steel nibs are sized differently." Or maybe it was the different model nib units that are all sized differently?

In any event Pelikan is at least pretty nice about that — I believe you get a month to change sizes if you don't like the one you got, and you could amass a small army, since the nib/feed is a single unit that just unscrews.

No, I mean you could order three of the exact same nib unit and get three different line widths, all much wider than you'd expect.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got a Lamy broad nib to try out on one of my Safaris and I have an issue that Hooefully someone will have some info on. It writes smoothly but it will start wet and write drier and drier until the flow stops. If I give the converter a twist it starts again and then does the same thing. This ha happened with a few of my cheaper pens too and I am wondering what causes this. The pen writes fine with both the extra fine nib and medium nib from another safari so i assume it is the nib, but doesn't that seem like a feed issue? Any advice?

I also discovered that broad nibs kick rear end and I need more.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You have an air exchange issue. For a fountain pen to work correctly air has to enter the reservoir at a roughly equal rate to ink leaving. If ink leaves too fast it eventually creates a vacuum that cause capillary flow to fail. The easiest way to fix it is just put the pen down for a few minutes but you can always give the converter/piston a quick spin to fix the vacuum as well.

This sort of issue is the reason why stub or italic nib options are often more expensive - those nibs require a modified feed that allows for more air exchange.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rio posted:

I got a Lamy broad nib to try out on one of my Safaris and I have an issue that Hooefully someone will have some info on. It writes smoothly but it will start wet and write drier and drier until the flow stops. If I give the converter a twist it starts again and then does the same thing. This ha happened with a few of my cheaper pens too and I am wondering what causes this. The pen writes fine with both the extra fine nib and medium nib from another safari so i assume it is the nib, but doesn't that seem like a feed issue? Any advice?

I also discovered that broad nibs kick rear end and I need more.

You may have some fibers up in the nib. You could pick up a bulb syringe and thoroughly flush out the nib and feed with soapy water. If you don't have one, they're like 4 bucks at any drug store.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Heath posted:

You may have some fibers up in the nib. You could pick up a bulb syringe and thoroughly flush out the nib and feed with soapy water. If you don't have one, they're like 4 bucks at any drug store.

It was a new nib so that wasn't the case. I did flush it with soapy water though, thinking it might have had some oil or something on it. After writing with it a bit more last night it the issue partially resolved and I got through two pages of writing without any stopping. It is not super juicy though.

grack posted:

You have an air exchange issue. For a fountain pen to work correctly air has to enter the reservoir at a roughly equal rate to ink leaving. If ink leaves too fast it eventually creates a vacuum that cause capillary flow to fail. The easiest way to fix it is just put the pen down for a few minutes but you can always give the converter/piston a quick spin to fix the vacuum as well.

This sort of issue is the reason why stub or italic nib options are often more expensive - those nibs require a modified feed that allows for more air exchange.

Interesting - I didn't know that. Would a Safari that came with a EF nib and one that came with a medium be set up the same or would they be set up differently to accommodate different flows for different nib sizes? I was wondering if putting a broad nib on a pen that came with an EF nib could have been the reason it was acting up.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I had to modify the feed on my Vista to get adequate flow for the 1.5 stub nib I have on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

rio posted:

Interesting - I didn't know that. Would a Safari that came with a EF nib and one that came with a medium be set up the same or would they be set up differently to accommodate different flows for different nib sizes? I was wondering if putting a broad nib on a pen that came with an EF nib could have been the reason it was acting up.

It's entirely possible, I don't know enough about Lamy pens to be completely sure. Your issue is a classic air exchange problem, though.