Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

What is the ds3 pvp sl sweetspot? I always thought it was 125 but ive been seeing stuff like 160 and 140 now.

The meta for duels (and thus most invasions stuff) was and still is 120-ish. You're seeing 140-160 because of Oroboro's and Peeve's player made covenants, the Crusaders and the Bloodshades, respectively, which do stuff at those levels. You can google them if you want to know more.

Also if you want PVP check out the arena while it's hot. It's convenient enough that I expect it will replace Irithyll as the duel hotspot but it's super duper active now. Takes no more than 30 seconds to get a 4-person brawl and ~10 seconds to get a duel (haven't tried the other modes yet).

Insurrectionist posted:

I forget, Pyromancy soft-cap is 30/30 right?

It's more 40/40. You'll find a lot of opinions on whether to stop at 30/30, 35/35, 40/40, or 45/45. It all depends on how much you're willing to give up or put off leveling other stats. I do 35/35 on my sl100 pyro and she does just fine, but more is always better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Dumb question but why do all the youtube guys seem to have around 1400 hp with 30 Vig but I only got 1060HP I could have sworn I had more before ( I haven't played in months )

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Winkie01 posted:

Dumb question but why do all the youtube guys seem to have around 1400 hp with 30 Vig but I only got 1060HP I could have sworn I had more before ( I haven't played in months )

Are you embered? At 27 vig you have 1000 unembered, 1300 embered.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So did anyone manage to kill the big axe viking guy that shoots out earthquakes?. I had like one go and barely managed to scratch him, just wanted to know if he dropped anything worthwhile. I already nipped round and got the item he was guarding.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

So did anyone manage to kill the big axe viking guy that shoots out earthquakes?. I had like one go and barely managed to scratch him, just wanted to know if he dropped anything worthwhile. I already nipped round and got the item he was guarding.

he doesn't but the earthshatter axe is behind him on the ground

bait him for backstabs, those guys swing real wide and let you get behind them a lot

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The best thing about this DLC is that you can corpse run almost everything since none of the normal enemies have important drops (except Follower armor from Followers if that's your thing).

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Are you embered? At 27 vig you have 1000 unembered, 1300 embered.

Oh poo poo that's what it was, forgot all about embers thanks

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Deified Data posted:

The best thing about this DLC is that you can corpse run almost everything since none of the normal enemies have important drops (except Follower armor from Followers if that's your thing).

This is a good advice. On my first run I wanted to get everything and was a real pain to deal with some enemy packs but once you know where the good stuff (and not just some lovely souls), you can just run around and collect the interesting items.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want the npc who gets you into the painting to introduce you to the next dlc too, since you never see him again; have him kick you off a cliff into Not Oolacile or something.

quote:

This is a good advice. On my first run I wanted to get everything and was a real pain to deal with some enemy packs but once you know where the good stuff (and not just some lovely souls), you can just run around and collect the interesting items.

The most obnoxious run in it is the Super Silver Knights Turbo Deluxe Edition with their exploding arrows on the way to the depth of the painting bonfire too, so it's mostly an easy jog.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the greatbow enemies were pretty easy to deal with here imo, especially compared to the silver knights of anor londo

the ones in the optional area are super easy to avoid and you can just draw one of the two in the upper path with an arrow and fight him away from the bow rear end in a top hat

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sakurazuka posted:

That dude is the secret best boss fight in the DLC and metal as gently caress.

The secret second best boss fight is snow crab bros :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like how everyone's conveniently forgotten about having to run through the huge forest area filled with stone statues and farmer shrubs

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The Corvian Settlement is a real dump. Get your poo poo together, Corvians.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

The Corvian Knight twins in the abandoned church would be the hardest fight of the DLC if you couldn't run from them.

Of all the new enemies they really stole the show for me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like how everyone's conveniently forgotten about having to run through the huge forest area filled with stone statues and farmer shrubs

I remember that. It was rear end

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Deified Data posted:

The Corvian Knight twins in the abandoned church would be the hardest fight of the DLC if you couldn't run from them.

This is really weird because I had no trouble with any of those guys. The only one that was trouble was the one that ambushes you on high, otherwise I found them pretty easy and kind of disappointing, honestly. I had way more trouble with the giant wolf+wolves encounter or any of the Millwood Knight encounters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I dropped down from the roof to fight them and it turns out they literally can't hit you from the rafters. the black armor one doesn't even think to throw knives at you; it just runs around in circles seeming very confused

I played with them for a while before I got bored and killed them

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

This is really weird because I had no trouble with any of those guys. The only one that was trouble was the one that ambushes you on high, otherwise I found them pretty easy and kind of disappointing, honestly. I had way more trouble with the giant wolf+wolves encounter or any of the Millwood Knight encounters.

Honestly I feel like 70% of the damage they do is psychological. They freak me out and I panic when I fight them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

Honestly I feel like 70% of the damage they do is psychological. They freak me out and I panic when I fight them.

The assassins instant-killed me a whole lot until I realized that you should just walk around their attacks instead of blocking or rolling.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The most obnoxious run in it is the Super Silver Knights Turbo Deluxe Edition with their exploding arrows on the way to the depth of the painting bonfire too, so it's mostly an easy jog.

I had to cheese that part with a bow because as a goon mentioned before, FROM can't for the love of god make good collision detection and feels like The Great Hollow branches again where an inch to a side would make your char just slip and fall all the way down.

Yodzilla posted:

Again, you can cheese the crab by pulling the first with a bow and fight it right on top of the bonfire then fight the second with more than enough room. Or, just leg it Farron Keep/Smouldering Lake style.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is there any good reason to not summon Gael every time? You get a slab from him if you get through the second phase and don't even need to be embered to summon him.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Guillermus posted:

Again, you can cheese the crab by pulling the first with a bow and fight it right on top of the bonfire then fight the second with more than enough room. Or, just leg it Farron Keep/Smouldering Lake style.

You lack crab honor.

Paracelsus posted:

Is there any good reason to not summon Gael every time? You get a slab from him if you get through the second phase and don't even need to be embered to summon him.

Pretty sure you get a slab from the second phase regardless of summoning him or not. The reason to not summon him is that for each summon I think the boss gets more health so it's a matter of him pulling aggro vs damage done. The one time I pulled him in he got immediately murdered in phase 3.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Control Volume posted:

I remember that. It was rear end

Yes

Yes it was

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Guillermus posted:

I think that's where my Souls fatigue is setting in / coming from. there's very little reason to kill every enemy in an area outside of your initial run through (or in the rare case that you're farming a specific drop) so once you've killed them and you know where the ambushes are, the whole thing becomes kind of pointless. oh I killed all of the monsters flawlessly but WHOOPS the collision detection on this ledge got weird and I fell off a solid platform. time to redo all that fuckin' work again!

when the optimal path through an area is just to run past everything and pick up items / flip switches as necessary, that's a very boring and poorly designed area.

I guess I can't think of an alternative in the context of the Souls games for how you'd change that formula, as the monsters are basically a test of your resource management skills (can you keep enough health & mana between the bonfire and the boss to survive the boss?) but drat if I'm not getting bored with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I fought one of the crabs, then two more popped out of the ground and smashed me into paste. I laughed a bit but I just ran past them after that; I don't need to revisit the fishing hamlet well

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I fought one of the crabs, then two more popped out of the ground and smashed me into paste. I laughed a bit but I just ran past them after that; I don't need to revisit the fishing hamlet well

You can fight them one on one if you aggro them with a ranged attack over to where the bonfire is. Still not worth it since all you get is a crystal gem.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow sorcerer builds are utter poo poo in the mid game. I finally got my moonlight greatsword at level 70 with only 30 int and the damage it outputs is beefy as poo poo, to the point where it trivializes the DLC quite a bit. Before this, millwood knights were a loving slog and not worth fighting like at all. Against general enemies, 2-3 combo hits netted me 3-400 damage at best and left me exposed as poo poo. Now I get a solid 700 dmg with two swings, with enough time to roll away (i'm pretty squishy I guess).

Before, I was relying on raw weapons with bleed and while damage output was serviceable (literally the highest I was able to get my damage after experimenting with different options), bosses like the dancer, aldritch, and oceiros really required for me to git gud because I was just chipping away at their massive life bars (with the occasional bleed effect helping speed things up, but marginally). They were all able to two-shot me as well, which was beyond obnixious, I tried to take on dancer earlier than I was supposed to and was stuck there for months. At least until I finally nailed down her second phase.

I'm glad I played this build as it forced me to get into the nitty gritty of getting gud but gently caress sorcerer builds in the mid game so much. And this is after the supposed buffs, too. Fuuuuck

E: also after deciding that shields are for losers many many souls game ago, I once again tried them with this soft-rear end build and wow shields are incredible when your character is a bitch rear end marshmallow that can only eat a single hit before expiring, and this is without buffing it with magic. I made oceiros my bitch, he's basically helpless against any solid shield in phase two and can only softly slide against your body as you cut into his wanna-be dragon flesh at a leisurely pace.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 26, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I mean, it sounds like you're not using magic when the entire point of an Int build is to use sorceries. If you keep your catalyst upgraded (sorcerer's and then court sorcerer's when you can get it) and stick to the good spells (soul arrow/heavy soul arrow and their greater versions, soul greatsword, farron dart for finishing things off, flashsword if you want a quick attack) you should be doing pretty solid damage, and pretty crazy damage once you get all of the damage boosters. If you're sticking primarily to melee then yeah you're going to have a bad time, because you're not using your build's strengths. I've done two sorcerer builds and while they have trouble versus the few heavily magic resistant enemies (gently caress Crystal Sage) or the especially mobile ones, for the most part most enemies end up being complete jokes since you can take down half or more of their health from a safe distance. And in the case of mini-boss enemies that stagger when struck in the head you have an even easier time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if you have problems with a sorc after getting the soul spear (great heavy soul arrow is better but slow) youre probably not using all the tools in your access. of course 30 int at lvl 70 seems to be really low too.
edit: you can also use pyro glove and dark sorceries against enemies that are resistant to magic. hell, youre pretty much forced to against a few bosses.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah maybe I didn't really learn how to use magic properly, but I found it utterly helpless against most bosses, by the time my heavy soul arrow or great heavy soul arrow were launching, most bosses were already digging into my freshly-deceased corpse

magic is great during the levels, but maybe I didn't get good enough with it when dealing with bosses but it really feels like they're not attuned to that kind of playstyle at all

E: and my int is lower than it should be because i bitched out, i couldn't commit fully to such a difficult build, but yeah this moonlight greatsword is wrecking even at 30 int and i love it

Double E: oh my god, I hardly upgraded the catalyst, I kept up with everything else but does this make a huge difference as well? mystery potentially solved, boys

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 26, 2016

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Where do I go/what Do I do after beating the first (?) DLC boss Blackflame F, I assume interact with the statue in the bossroom but I don't see any triggers... I'm completely stumped.

(sorry if this is asked on every page I don't wanna skim too much for spoilers)

EDIT : oh my god im a dummy I forgot that the bridge is climbable

Thank you guys also!

motherfish fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Goons struggling with trees: are you playing with a keyboard? I found them pretty easy to navigate at full tilt with an xbox controller, fighting with a halberd and greataxe.

The DLC bow is great, too. Maxed it out as soon as I got it, now my buddy has the dex greatbow and I have the str one and we both have obscuring rings and that's a recipe for good times.

Thinking about a new gimmick character, how viable is blessed weapon/sun ring active tanking?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

motherfish posted:

Where do I go/what Do I do after beating the first (?) DLC boss Blackflame F, I assume interact with the statue in the bossroom but I don't see any triggers... I'm completely stumped.

turn around and leave the cathedral, you can cut down the rope bridge like in the catacombs and climb down it. you want to be on the cathedral side, not the tree/fly side

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

motherfish posted:

She's the only story boss. There's a side boss at the bottom of the icy canyon, and you can climb up the ladder in the chapel to talk to the painter girl for a bit of extra dialogue and go back to the corvian guy in the settlement to get a titanite slab.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have somehow never made a pure pyro before, the Onyx Blade is cool enough that I want a piece of that action, what are the best pyromancies to use other than Chaos Bed Vestiges, GCFO and Black Serpent?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

RabidWeasel posted:

I have somehow never made a pure pyro before, the Onyx Blade is cool enough that I want a piece of that action, what are the best pyromancies to use other than Chaos Bed Vestiges, GCFO and Black Serpent?

Iron Skin is underrated. Casting it as someone charges and then slamming them wit fireballs at point blank is a classic, but people fall for it all the time anyways. The Witch's Locks whip also incredibly good, with a weapon art that you can treat as a very effective close/mid pyromancy. I also really enjoy using boulder heave, but it's more for fun than effectiveness. It's good for hitting below you and can knock them around. Great for ladder fuckery.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 26, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Black flame.

Sard posted:

Goons struggling with trees: are you playing with a keyboard? I found them pretty easy to navigate at full tilt with an xbox controller, fighting with a halberd and greataxe.

The DLC bow is great, too. Maxed it out as soon as I got it, now my buddy has the dex greatbow and I have the str one and we both have obscuring rings and that's a recipe for good times.

Thinking about a new gimmick character, how viable is blessed weapon/sun ring active tanking?

One of pvpskills dark horse builds videos he stacks all the HP regen things and its more health per second than you lose with the mimic head. I think you cast blessed weapon on anri sword.
It's not good damage obviously. But it'll trash people who can't parry or likewise delete you fast.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

yeah maybe I didn't really learn how to use magic properly, but I found it utterly helpless against most bosses, by the time my heavy soul arrow or great heavy soul arrow were launching, most bosses were already digging into my freshly-deceased corpse

magic is great during the levels, but maybe I didn't get good enough with it when dealing with bosses but it really feels like they're not attuned to that kind of playstyle at all

E: and my int is lower than it should be because i bitched out, i couldn't commit fully to such a difficult build, but yeah this moonlight greatsword is wrecking even at 30 int and i love it

Double E: oh my god, I hardly upgraded the catalyst, I kept up with everything else but does this make a huge difference as well? mystery potentially solved, boys

It definitely can be tricky figuring out when you can hit bosses with spells, but if you can do that you can do massive damage while being much safer than if you were more melee-focused. Against the Abyss Watchers, for example, I took out 3/4ths of the first phases HP before it even got to me, and 1/2 of the second phases HP before it could as well. Generally speaking, staying at extreme range (just outside of lock-on) will cause most bosses to do an edgelord slow walk towards you. So you start the spell cast there, walk into lock-on range, lock-on, and fire. You'll probably hit them before they have a chance to move or start to attack.

And yeah, upgrading your catalyst is kind of important.

RabidWeasel posted:

Fire Surge is good for finishing enemies off, doing chip damage with relative safety (doubly so in PVP), and for causing the fire-specific stun animation on certain enemies (e.g. dogs, Pus of Man, those tree ladies in the DLC). Firestorm can be handy for taking out groups of enemies (not necessarily killing them but at least stunning them and doing some damage). Black Flame does a fair amount of damage up close so it has its uses. Boulder Heave is actually surprisingly good; the hitbox is bigger than you might think and any enemies hit by it get knocked down and have to recover, so it's useful for groups.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 26, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am so loving happy with this sweet loving rapier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boulder heave breaks most shield blocks too