Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone looking for a cheap kitchenaid?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Green-KitchenAid-Stand-Mixer-w-Accessories-33888273.html

This one says made by Hobart on the side so it's ooooolllld.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/KithchenAid-Stand-Mixer-Model-K45SS-33901217.html

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Few questions about Thermapens:

1. I remember seeing group buy discounts for Thermapens years ago on this subforum, does this still happen occasionally? How much of a discount is it? I'm looking to buy 2, can I get a discount on my own?
2. What's the difference between the classic (http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen) and the Mk4 (http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4)?
3. Are they worth paying the full $79 (classic)/$99 (Mk4) or should I wait for a sale?

related: how useful are the radar gun type IR thermometers for cooking/grilling? Those always seemed cool but I'm not sure if it's just the gadget nerd in me saying that.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Spend the extra $20 to get the motion wake up and AA battery compatibility.

I like the IR thermometer but it's useless for a grill. Mine gets the most use for my griddle and making sure its temp is good for stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

canoshiz posted:

related: how useful are the radar gun type IR thermometers for cooking/grilling? Those always seemed cool but I'm not sure if it's just the gadget nerd in me saying that.

They only measure surface temps, so the main use is to check that your pan is the right temperature. Also they get thrown off by stainless steel unless you're willing to pay extra for one that has a stainless steel mode.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
My wife does a lot of cake/cupcake decorating (not really professional, more for family/friends but sometimes gets some money for it). She has some interest in getting an airbrush.

She saw this one for $64 that interested her. I literally don't know anything about kitchen equipment, but the "Cake Boss" branding makes me think it sucks. I saw another cheap one ($90) from "Tyrellex".

Any thoughts? I suspect that for under $100 she won't get a great one, but she won't use it very often anyway.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Harveygod posted:

My wife does a lot of cake/cupcake decorating (not really professional, more for family/friends but sometimes gets some money for it). She has some interest in getting an airbrush.

She saw this one for $64 that interested her. I literally don't know anything about kitchen equipment, but the "Cake Boss" branding makes me think it sucks. I saw another cheap one ($90) from "Tyrellex".

Any thoughts? I suspect that for under $100 she won't get a great one, but she won't use it very often anyway.

This Master Pro is good. Bakery used one at my old hotel.

Same brand, cheaper. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles. If you're gonna airbrush cakes, you want all the bells and whistles.

e: The Cake Boss guy uses a $900 Iwata model, no way he'd use his own poo poo :V

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Same brand, cheaper. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles. If you're gonna airbrush cakes, you want all the bells and whistles.

e: The Cake Boss guy uses a $900 Iwata model, no way he'd use his own poo poo :V

Thanks. Hopefully she doesn't buy anything and forgets about it altogether and then I'll get the "with bellwistles" item for her for Christmas.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How trustworthy are the cook's illustrated equipment reviews?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I have found them to be extremely trustworthy- I mean, they do review the absolute gently caress outta all of the equipment that they recommend.

Also, speaking of thermapen, Serious Eats is doing a 20% off of the Thermapen Mk4 until midnight tomorrow (Tuesday 10/25).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Varies greatly depending on what it is they're reviewing. Anywhere between laughably bad and fairly accurate. What specifically are you looking at?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

:eyepop: I don't even bake sweets and I want this

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Hed posted:

Spend the extra $20 to get the motion wake up and AA battery compatibility.

I like the IR thermometer but it's useless for a grill. Mine gets the most use for my griddle and making sure its temp is good for stuff.

Steve Yun posted:

They only measure surface temps, so the main use is to check that your pan is the right temperature. Also they get thrown off by stainless steel unless you're willing to pay extra for one that has a stainless steel mode.

Thanks for the info on the Thermapens. For anyone else interested, turns out that Serious Eats is having a 20% off sale until the end of the day today: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/serious-eats-thermapen-sale.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hauki posted:

Varies greatly depending on what it is they're reviewing. Anywhere between laughably bad and fairly accurate. What specifically are you looking at?

This is wrong. Their reviews are great IMHO.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, give us an example of a laughably bad recommendation. I've never had them steer me wrong. I wouldn't always agree that their rec is the absolute best, but I've never been disappointed either.

Kind of like the wirecutter for me in that regard.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, give us an example of a laughably bad recommendation. I've never had them steer me wrong. I wouldn't always agree that their rec is the absolute best, but I've never been disappointed either.

Kind of like the wirecutter for me in that regard.

Sure, I don't have a specific link handy because I'm at work and their website won't let me look at any of their equipment reviews, but I recall that their coffee grinder lineup was pretty terrible as an example, consisting mostly of blade grinders with some token bargain bin burr grinders that were unsurprisingly not much better.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Their review of knife sharpeners was... well, I didn't try them myself, so maybe it was secretly good, but it was not in any way aligned with the received wisdom of the chef's knife thread.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
I think when looking at CI equipment reviews you have to remember the audience that they write for- Minnie in Sheboygan isn't going to want to hear that the best way to sharpen her $30 Plastic handled knife is to throw it out, special order a $600 handmade heirloom blade from some Brooklyn hipster, and then get tits deep in ancient Japanese water stones.

CI recommends the $30 Victoronox that comes in a clamshell- so if you tear it the gently caress up on an electric knife sharpener and have to buy a new one every two years, no big whoop. Same for the coffee grinders; anything is gonna be better than Folgers, which is probably what most readers of CI are used to.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

It's not $30 anymore. You might as well get the Tojiro DP nowadays.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
CI is good for reviews 95% of the time. Coffee grinders, knife sharpeners, recommending Pyrex bowls instead of steel ones and a few other things go into their blind spot.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

CI is good for reviews 95% of the time. Coffee grinders, knife sharpeners, recommending Pyrex bowls instead of steel ones and a few other things go into their blind spot.

my favorite part about reading both CI and seriouseats is the volume of shade SE throws at CI recommendations, particularly kenji

like really recently CI reviewed bread knives and their winner wasn't even in the lineup at SE that got published within a few weeks of the CI issue dropping

i think the one CI rec that i followed down the wrong path was the OXO scale with the detachable display. like yeah it works p well for most things but it's crap at weighing grams as opposed to the Taylors i've used working at restaurants (which are garbage in a whole host of other ways but good for that)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

i think the one CI rec that i followed down the wrong path was the OXO scale with the detachable display. like yeah it works p well for most things but it's crap at weighing grams as opposed to the Taylors i've used working at restaurants (which are garbage in a whole host of other ways but good for that)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the ur-kitchen scale.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

my favorite part about reading both CI and seriouseats is the volume of shade SE throws at CI recommendations, particularly kenji

"I don't want to speak ill of my former place of employment... but here, let me speak ill of them for a little bit"

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

dammit it's like the same price as the OXO too :sigh:

Steve Yun posted:

"I don't want to speak ill of my former place of employment... but here, let me speak ill of them for a little bit"

:yeah: like every time CI comes up

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I bought that on the thread's recommendation and it constantly times out/powers off literally as I'm adding things. I'll turn it back on and like ten or twenty seconds later it's off again mid pour. It's fine if you need to weigh like one thing, but if you're trying to tare and weigh multiple things or do anything more involved expect it to be an exercise in frustration.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hauki posted:

I bought that on the thread's recommendation and it constantly times out/powers off literally as I'm adding things. I'll turn it back on and like ten or twenty seconds later it's off again mid pour. It's fine if you need to weigh like one thing, but if you're trying to tare and weigh multiple things or do anything more involved expect it to be an exercise in frustration.

You're either exagerating or you got a lemon that should've gone back under warranty. You'd know this if you read the manual for it:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hauki posted:

Your batteries might be dying maybe? That doesn't sound like the one I've been using heavily for years, but I have an AC adapter.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Can confirm, I've scaled out thousands of pounds of bread dough on the same scale with no issues.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

Can confirm, I've scaled out thousands of pounds of bread dough on the same scale with no issues.

Come for the baker's math, stay for the general excellence. At least, that's been my experience with it. I do kind of hate the buttons though; I'm thinking of having a new one made with proper metal buttons. I know which button is which, but my fascia is kind of... I dunno, melting?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Hauki posted:

I've had the same experience honestly. I figured it was just me being dumb.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deimos posted:

You're either exagerating or you got a lemon that should've gone back under warranty. You'd know this if you read the manual for it:

I tried using it for pourover where I do a pulse pour every fifteen seconds and it would frequently power off in that interval, so no, that's not an exaggeration. I'll try it with a power adapter, that behavior didn't seem to have anything to do with battery life, as it was doing that when I first got it and continued behaving the same way with fresh batteries as well. Also that setting didn't seem to have any impact.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hauki posted:

I tried using it for pourover where I do a pulse pour every fifteen seconds and it would frequently power off in that interval, so no, that's not an exaggeration. I'll try it with a power adapter, that behavior didn't seem to have anything to do with battery life, as it was doing that when I first got it and continued behaving the same way with fresh batteries as well. Also that setting didn't seem to have any impact.

deimos posted:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

There's never any harm in calling up the manufacturer and telling them about your problem and asking if it's normal behavior or not. Next time you buy something that sucks, do something about it!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got that myweigh scale and an AC adapter and could not be happier with it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Hauki posted:

That's definitely not normal behavior. Mine only times out if I don't measure anything on it for like 5 minutes. Any change in the weight will reset the timer. I'm usually toying around with one constantly on for the better part of half an hour while I clumsily get things together in the kitchen.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I am going down a rabbit hole I am not prepared for.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nabokoffin posted:

It is just mineral oil, can get big bottles of the stuff in the pharmacy area of most wal-marts or walgreens or probably the internet.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/digestive-health/fiber-laxatives/cvs-health-mineral-oil-usp-lubricant-laxative-prodid-1011823

For a pint, not much more for a quart. The downside is you have to buy something called lubricant/laxative.

Edit: make sure you buy stuff that is labeled USP or food grade.

Note that the stuff you buy at the drugstore is HEAVY mineral oil, so it's extra thick. Most cutting board oil is thin, which is a little easier to rub in.

Both kinds still work fine, though.

mich posted:

Man, I've had my Artisan for 11 years and it's still going strong and has been used for hundreds and hundreds of flour worth of bread, cakes, and cookies and hundreds of egg whites worth of meringue based icings. I prefer having a tilt head for processes that require adding ingredients at various steps in time though I guess they make bowl attachment things to help with that if you have a bowl lift.

Maybe it's because my mom always had the tilt-head model, but I prefer it as well. Who knows, maybe if I had the bowl lift for a while I would change my mind.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Did someone mention CI equipment reviews? Well, one of the places they are dead on is in non-stick frypans.

For like 5 years, the go to recommendation has been the "T-fal E93808 Professional Nonstick Oven Safe Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWG0T2/

It's been the"#1 Best Seller" on Amazon for a few years, and it deserves it: Its a great pan, and a bargain at $28.

I only have one small issue: the "Thermospot" makes the bottom of the pan a little... not flat. a minor pain when heating a small amount of oil.
Other then that, it wears out like any other non-stick pan. This one survived just about two years of fairly heavy use, so again, I think it's good bang for the buck.

Anyway, back in August, CI anointed a new favorite non-stick pan: OXO Good Grips Non-Stick 12" Open Frypan
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Non-Stick-Frypan/dp/B00PCI6XP6

At $40, more expensive then the previous winner. It also comes in a "pro" version for $58, but I didn't buy that one.

It's a great pan, better then the old one. Bottom is perfectly flat, and after cooking with it for a month, I just like the shape better. It's subtle stuff, but I definitely like the new pan better.
When the new CI rankings came out, this pan was briefly hard to get on Amazon, so I ordered mine from Bed Bath & Beyond (got free shipping, too).

The CI reviews are right on this one: you really can't go wrong with either pan.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I am going down a rabbit hole I am not prepared for.

:getin:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Eh, the CI reviews are generally fine. No, they aren't nerd spec reviews but if you buy the thing they recommend you generally (95%?) get something pretty serviceable and functional.

I use the oxo scale. It's fine. It measures fractions of grams up to kilograms. The detachable face means you can put a big bowl on it and still use it. It times out eventually but eh, works well enough. I've had it for years.

Generally, I'll trust CI over almost anything other than a dedicated nerd forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the SV thread:

Never used this brand, but there's a $100 sous vizzling circulator on Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HX1FTC/

edit: Look like their 2nd gen product is also $99. I'm so confused.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M18LGU4/

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 28, 2016