Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

My soon to be brother-in-law has a closet full of unworn shoes. When he and my sister moved to a different city he managed to make a profit selling some. He has a good job, and has savings, unlike my sister, so I can't criticize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, I didn't catch the part where the shoes retail for $200.

It's still not entirely incorrectly. The $200 shoes might use slightly better materials than $60 shoes so there's a lot more to spend on intangibles like marketing.

In the case of the $200/$1700 shoes maybe it's more like concert tickets where you deliberately underprice/restrict supply to create scarcity and make it look like your stuff is more popular than it really is. Lady Gaga doesn't get a percentage from scalpers, but she still benefits when tickets go for 2 or 3 times face value.

I read a thing on npr one time about the collector sneaker economy. As far as I remember, the reasoning for the model was that the people who make sneakers cool are generally people who could not afford to blow 1700 on shoes. They can often spend time waiting in line, though. By restricting the numbers made, cool people (not rich people) can wait in line, buy a couple pairs, get a rich idiot to pay them a huge multiple of the value for the extra pair, and the cool people wear them around and the shoes gain street cred, which is why the rich idiots want to buy them in the first place.

Edit: it was an episode of planet money, actually. http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/11/19/365010888/episode-584-what-the-lebron

Day Man fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 26, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guest2553 posted:

Not a complete loss. Now you know how financially illiterate they are and can begin to exploit it.

I'm in the process of going to the State Treasurer and trying to go over the heads of the people "for their own good."

We have 10's of thousands of employees and apparently only me and three other people asked about the fees. Literally 4 people.

Then only about 250 people voted for the new provider. So hopefully, I can say that they aren't representative of the best choice.

Nobody cares. Not even the state treasurer because he has a ton of stuff to do and shopping for the best deal for a program that only 4% of employees use and almost none care about isn't a good use of his time. He just wants one that costs the state nothing to manage.

Nobody gives a poo poo about their retirement plan, but everyone is shocked, SHOCKED, that for some reason 10k at age 55 isn't enough.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My employer is switching our 457b provider. The new proposed provider has a .08% quarterly maintenance fee and a flat $50 a quarter fee to buy any fund outside of the 8 provided by their asset managers (4 of the 8 are actively managed funds with somewhat bad expense ratios, one is a bond fund, and one is a cash settlement fund)

It is not very good.

I managed to get our State Treasurer's office to consider additional options, including some with no fees other than the fund ER.

Even though I managed to do all this, my coworkers are loving me over and it is making me lose my faith in democracy. It looks like we are going to go with the provider that has only 8 fund options (50% with an ER over 1.3%) and charges a quarterly fee.

Why?

Because each provider gave a presentation to convince the employees why they were the best. The employees then filled out forms voting for a fund. About 70% of people went with the high fee provider after their presentation. The reasonings:

- They have actively managed funds. It's like having my own stock broker working for me.
- The fee is less than 1% a quarter and the ER for the Total Stock Market fund is only 1%. That's nothing!
- They have a calculator on their website that tells you how much you'll have at retirement if you enter a % saved and an age of retirement.
- They have an app that you can use on your phone.

My coworkers overwhelmingly voted for the fund that is going to take approximately 2-2.5% more of their money each year FOR THE EXACT SAME investments because it has a calculator that you can get online anywhere for free and an app.

The rep sold them on the idea that the stock market is "like a hurricane sometimes" and you need to pay a good captain to guide you through it.

I tried to show people how much that will compound and cost them eventually, but the general response was "don't penny pinch over 2%!" and that they wanted to hire someone to do it for them and "beat Wall Street at their own game."

So, I just wasted several dozen hours and am going to get forced into this plan because of a phone app and an HTML calculator.

Show them this chart:

Then slap them for saying that a difference of over a million loving dollars is "penny-pinching."

e: I just noticed this particular chart starts at a million dollars too so it's probably not the best example but you can easily wind up with 2% ER's becoming million dollar losses over 30 years even for normal person savings, though you clearly already know this :v:

e2: Here's a more "middle-class" graph, showing only a 1% difference, which still translates into over two hundred thousand dollars difference and ten years more retirement time

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 26, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm in the process of going to the State Treasurer and trying to go over the heads of the people "for their own good."

We have 10's of thousands of employees and apparently only me and three other people asked about the fees. Literally 4 people.

Then only about 250 people voted for the new provider. So hopefully, I can say that they aren't representative of the best choice.

Nobody cares. Not even the state treasurer because he has a ton of stuff to do and shopping for the best deal for a program that only 4% of employees use and almost none care about isn't a good use of his time. He just wants one that costs the state nothing to manage.

Nobody gives a poo poo about their retirement plan, but everyone is shocked, SHOCKED, that for some reason 10k at age 55 isn't enough.

The state treasurer may care if someone dropped a line about the new fiduciary rules and the lawsuits going on about overpriced 401k plans as a result.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, I didn't catch the part where the shoes retail for $200.

It's still not entirely incorrectly. The $200 shoes might use slightly better materials than $60 shoes so there's a lot more to spend on intangibles like marketing.

In the case of the $200/$1700 shoes maybe it's more like concert tickets where you deliberately underprice/restrict supply to create scarcity and make it look like your stuff is more popular than it really is. Lady Gaga doesn't get a percentage from scalpers, but she still benefits when tickets go for 2 or 3 times face value.

That's not really a correct understanding; the concert industry is very different from the limited edition shoe resale industry in that the organizers and artists as a whole very deliberately profit off of ticket markups, fees, and pseudo-third-party resale. Lady Gaga likely never performs a concert for less than the nominal face value of all the tickets sold combined so she and other A list artists definitely profit handsomely from a system where most of the tickets are sold to the ultimate attendee of the concert at a large premium to face value. These practices in general have been the subject of several lawsuits that have dragged them into the open.

Nike on the other hand restricts runs of their basketball shoes and tolerates a tiny fraction of them being resold at large margins as a hype manufacturing exercise. The resale market is a tiny fraction of their >$30 billion in sales and money left on the table is basically a marketing expense. It does not seem that they have attempted to dip their fingers in the resale market for instance by operating an official resale market or offering some kind of high priced VIP program.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

When the things you used to make are on the free market for $1k+ it seems like a bargain to get the new things you make for $200

Why take away that perception?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Nike on the other hand restricts runs of their basketball shoes and tolerates a tiny fraction of them being resold at large margins as a hype manufacturing exercise. The resale market is a tiny fraction of their >$30 billion in sales and money left on the table is basically a marketing expense. It does not seem that they have attempted to dip their fingers in the resale market for instance by operating an official resale market or offering some kind of high priced VIP program.

That's true, but it isn't just hype. Custom fabric printing and labor-intensive manufacturing techniques legitimately limit the supply of specialty apparel. And there is a VIP program for Nike shoes, it's just not something you can buy into. The fashion industry runs on a "cool" economy in parallel to the economic one, and that frequently leads to counterintuitive market behavior. Fashion models, for instance, get paid less the more prestigious a booking is. Couture runway models don't get paid at all.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Fashion models, for instance, get paid less the more prestigious a booking is. Couture runway models don't get paid at all.

That's not counterintuitive market behavior, that's just good ol' exploitation, a core principle of markets going back hundreds of years.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

That's not counterintuitive market behavior, that's just good ol' exploitation, a core principle of markets going back hundreds of years.

Beep boop anything I don't know about must be simple. Now back to lobbying New Balance to release shoes more suited to the ample goon's foot width.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beep boop anything I don't know about must be simple. Now back to lobbying New Balance to release shoes more suited to the ample goon's foot width.

How's it different than every other job where people are paid mostly in "experience" or "prestige" or "exposure" like unpaid interns or the NCAA or every young artist ever? Congrats, you have been conned by some of the richest people and companies in the world into valuing your work at zero, but clearly this time it is the weird quirky fashion industry and not just exploitation like it is every other time

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

How's it different than every other job where people are paid mostly in "experience" or "prestige" or "exposure" like unpaid interns or the NCAA or every young artist ever? Congrats, you have been conned by some of the richest people and companies in the world into valuing your work at zero, but clearly this time it is the weird quirky fashion industry and not just exploitation like it is every other time

Haha I've never been accused of being a runway model by an angry goon before. Thanks, I guess? I'm not saying working for free isn't exploitative, because of course it is, angry goony guy, just that the economic behavior in the fashion industry is actually quite interesting and complicated, and you reading one sentence I wrote about it didn't make you an expert.

Edit: For content, the difference between fashion and the examples you cited is that the "for exposure" years are intended as a stepping stone to very lucrative work in the same field. In fashion modeling, uniquely, the higher you ascend in the ranks the less you get paid. A girl walking a Chanel runway gets paid 0 dollars, but that gig has infinitely more cool-economy value than the catalog gigs she sneaks off to Asia to shoot after fashion week to pay the bills. Doing too much paying work in fashion modeling hurts your chances at getting the prestigious unpaid gigs, which are important within that economy for reasons that can't be conveyed in beeps and boops.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Haha I've never been accused of being a runway model by an angry goon before. Thanks, I guess? I'm not saying working for free isn't exploitative, because of course it is, angry goony guy, just that the economic behavior in the fashion industry is actually quite interesting and complicated, and you reading one sentence I wrote about it didn't make you an expert.

If you reread the post you might just find that he (?) doesn't think you're a runway model, he is just comparing exploitation of workers by prestigious firms in non-fashion industries to exploitation of workers by prestigious firms in the fashion industry. Do you have an argument against that that isn't "u mad"?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eldred posted:

If you reread the post you might just find that he (?) doesn't think you're a runway model, he is just comparing exploitation of workers by prestigious firms in non-fashion industries to exploitation of workers by prestigious firms in the fashion industry. Do you have an argument against that that isn't "u mad"?

Sure do, maybe read it when you get a chance!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Sure do, maybe read it when you get a chance!

You seem to have forgotten that there are timestamps when you edit posts in your quest to be the thread's biggest turd.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

You didn't actually explain it though. You just said the prestigious gigs get cool-economy value rather than money, and that models have to sneak around to pay the bills. This is a very niche market that lots of people are desperate to be a part of. Why is selling the idea of "cool-economy" to people rather than paying them for their work not exploitation?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

As genuinely interesting as this topic is please Jesus don't start this derail, please just let it go

Eldred posted:

You seem to have forgotten that there are timestamps when you edit posts in your quest to be the thread's biggest turd.

I am stealing this for future use. I may or may not credit you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lol using industry terms and ECONOMICS to justify stupid, irrational, or exploitative behavior (what exactly makes those hobo shoes scarce or luxurious??) is like a cornerstone of American rhetoric.

It's like talking to my brother about Disney and his disturbing obsession with the "vault." Some people just aren't able to see through the noise I guess?

Or maybe we're all still so desparate to stay in the keep up with the Jones game that it manifests itself in weird ways with our younger "we know better" generation (which i am very much a part of at times), who the hell knows

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Edit: For content, the difference between fashion and the examples you cited is that the "for exposure" years are intended as a stepping stone to very lucrative work in the same field. In fashion modeling, uniquely, the higher you ascend in the ranks the less you get paid. A girl walking a Chanel runway gets paid 0 dollars, but that gig has infinitely more cool-economy value than the catalog gigs she sneaks off to Asia to shoot after fashion week to pay the bills. Doing too much paying work in fashion modeling hurts your chances at getting the prestigious unpaid gigs, which are important within that economy for reasons that can't be conveyed in beeps and boops.

Yeah as other posters pointed out I didn't mean you personally though the idea that I angrily accused you of being a super model is pretty funny and fine by me too I guess :v:

Anyway reading my posts again I was bein' way meaner than I really meant to be so sorry for that. Okay derail over :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

It's like talking to my brother about Disney and his disturbing obsession with the "vault." Some people just aren't able to see through the noise I guess?

Actually wait no I want to hear more about your brother's disturbing obsession with Disney's vault because that totally seems like the tip of a big ol' iceberg of crazy.

e: Tell him that I've actually been in the SECRET COMPLEX of tunnels underneath Disney World and while it was mostly boring infrastructure and break room poo poo I did see a really big board room full of dead-eyed soulless business types in fancy suits, clearly plotting how they will next control global affairs or whatever.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 26, 2016

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I remember when the vault was a big deal and they would show commercials about how it was your LAST CHANCE because THE VAULT and now the idea of needing to own a piece of physical media is kind of hilarious.

Although apparently physical media: GWM?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Actually wait no I want to hear more about your brother's disturbing obsession with Disney's vault because that totally seems like the tip of a big ol' iceberg of crazy.

e: Tell him that I've actually been in the SECRET COMPLEX of tunnels underneath Disney World and while it was mostly boring infrastructure and break room poo poo I did see a really big board room full of dead-eyed soulless business types in fancy suits, clearly plotting how they will next control global affairs or whatever.

Dude it's the vault that they threaten you with when a "Disney classic" comes out on a new format, does anyone truly believe there is an actual vault?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Dude it's the vault that they threaten you with when a "Disney classic" comes out on a new format, does anyone truly believe there is an actual vault?

Oh that vault, I thought it was going to be like, the vault where they supposedly store Disney's cryogenically frozen head or whatever.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's not terribly interesting, he's basically twice-divorced and pays lotsa money in child support because he's an anxiety-riddled, controlling rear end in a top hat and is absolutely awful with his money, yet continues to sign up for expensive services (like the magazine sign up scams at best buy AHAHAHAHAHAHA what a dumbass) and gets madly excited about the Disney vault releases. I am struggling to get a 30+ year old man with children to understand the concepts behind artificial scarcity.

He also runs a facebook gossip page and wears make up for attention these days (he loves his attention) so he might just be hosed in the head

E: well I guess that is mildly interesting

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Guys, as a runway model myself, I would appreciate it if you didn't denigrate my talents.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eldred posted:

Lol I meant the post you already quoted, dumdum. And honestly "a billion dollar industry is complicated" shouldn't be this startling idea that sends the square-toed Kenneth Coles thundering.

KingSlime posted:

Lol using industry terms and ECONOMICS to justify stupid, irrational, or exploitative behavior (what exactly makes those hobo shoes scarce or luxurious??) is like a cornerstone of American rhetoric.

Or maybe we're all still so desparate to stay in the keep up with the Jones game that it manifests itself in weird ways with our younger "we know better" generation (which i am very much a part of at times), who the hell knows

Understanding a thing, even thinking a thing is interesting, is not defending it. It's incredibly small-minded of you to attack an attempt to explain someone else's motivation for doing something. It's cool and good to find people interesting.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 27, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Kenneth Coles?? you think i'm made of money or something??

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Understanding a thing, even thinking a thing is interesting, is not defending it. It's incredibly small-minded of you to attack an attempt to explain someone else's motivation for doing something. It's cool and good to find people interesting.

right, because your posts have all been super informative and friendly and not at all thinly veiled attempts at shaming the POORS

E: okay no more derail from me! carry on with your bwm stories y'all

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
[quote="KingSlime" post=""465780653"]
shaming the POORS
[/quote]

The gently caress? Do you have me confused with someone else?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

NancyPants posted:

As genuinely interesting as this topic is please Jesus don't start this derail, please just let it go

I am stealing this for future use. I may or may not credit you.

I accept nothing less than MLA footnotes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nah actually that was worded hastily and inaccurately but unless i am tremendously misinterpreting your posts, i thought we already had another poster whose shtic was to convince us of his opulent and superior taste in the PYF purchase thread

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

KingSlime posted:

nah actually that was worded hastily and inaccurately but unless i am tremendously misinterpreting your posts, i thought we already had another poster whose shtic was to convince us of his opulent and superior taste in the PYF purchase thread

Honestly, read rap sheet and move on. I know it's easier said than done (edit) but you'll be better off for it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What the gently caress is going on here?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

What the gently caress is going on here?

I have no idea I've just been scrolling past looking for BWM stories and discussion.

We could use the derail bird but instead:
:frogout: I don't care about rap sheets.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I seriously hosed up, and I don't know how to get out of debt (self.personalfinance) posted:

My wife and I are expecting a child within less than a month.

Before we found out she was pregnant, we hosed up our credit and finances. We partied hard, eventually getting evicted the night before we found out she was pregnant. I have been living at my parents house, and her at her folks' as well.

I am a full time student now, and any money I made serving went to my school, help my folks and wife out before she worked. Due to some legal issues, I am no longer allowed to serve. I owe 4000 to the courts.

We are collectively 20k + in debt.

I am caving in from the stress. I've been sober since the night we found out we were expecting, but I'm really thirsty.

We each got bank accounts last night. With three blank checks each. I'm contemplating fraud, because I don't know how to get money right now.

I need a loan, one I can repay in installments. Has anyone experienced this and gotten through it alive and sane?

Please. I need help.
BWM: Having drug legal issues that get you evicted and jobless right before finding out your wife is pregnant, then not doing anthing about it until she's 8 months in.

I'm a student. My spending is spiraling out of control. I need help. (self.personalfinance) posted:

I'm a 24y.o nursing student and I graduate this December. I obviously have school loans I started to rack up but I feel that once I get a nursing job I will be able to steadily pay everything off... but I need help from now to then.

I have two credit cards- 1 ($100) and the other ($1,900- I have a 2k limit on both). I have the promotional no interest for about a year left on the $1,900. The $100 card was my first card. I maxed out my first card and to avoid paying interest, I bank transferred the amount to my new second card.

I have a part time job that pays $10/hr and I work 18 hour a week and get paid biweekly (about $360 biweekly after taxes).
For the past 6 weeks+, I've lost four hours of work per week because I needed to put those hours towards clinical hospital rotation days (unpaid and for school. $265 earned biweekly now after taxes). For the clinical rotations, I try to choose days that I work the least hours in the first place so I don't lose too much money.
Parking is $9/week at the hospital lot.
My auto insurance is $142.48 a month (My mother is helping me by paying for the car lease while I pay for the insurance). This is the cheapest for me atm because I got into an accident back in February of this year.
I fill up my car three times a month which totals to about $60 a month.
I have a gym membership of $25/month.
I go rock climbing once a week for $11/week ($44 a month).
I pay for half of the tv and cellphone bill per month = $150.

My meds ($30/month). And unfortunately, nursing school asks for poo poo I can't afford all the time. I recently renewed my malpractice insurance $40. Lapcorp drug screening fees for school $45. $ is also spent towards textbooks, study guides, and continuing education classes.

My mother and I take turns spending on groceries which is about $50 every 2 weeks (so $50/month for me). I try not to eat out often but unfortunately I don't have time to pack myself a lunch every day. On days I go to the hospital, I spend about $8 on food. I try to keep it cheap, healthy, and not often.

I will wake up, go to the gym in the morning, go to work, go directly to school (5 pm-10pm. classes are four times a week and I work four times a week as well). The other three days I spend studying and catching up on my lectures.

So basically, everything tells me that I just need a higher paying job... but this isn't really an option for me right now due to school. I had two part time jobs before and although the money was great, my grades begun to suffer. I don't see much options to cut things out and once I graduate, the nursing exam will cost about $300 in total, not to mention a study guide I will be purchasing for $118 in the future.

I am drowning.
spend less on candles.jpg

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Haifisch posted:

BWM: Having drug legal issues that get you evicted and jobless right before finding out your wife is pregnant, then not doing anthing about it until she's 8 months in.

The hell kind of legal issues keep you from serving? Caught stealing booze or something?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Haifisch posted:

spend less on candles.jpg

Just for shits and giggles I threw this all into a basic spreadsheet, assuming two at-hospital meals a week:

:pwn:

I even assumed parking wasn't possible to cut out by, say, walking. And it doesn't even include the "other" expenses they mentioned.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
uhh maybe it's just me but that doesn't look too bad apart from maybe expensive cable.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

How dare she have an 11 dollar per week hobby!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Looks like a typical 24 year old. We're not all spergin about money right out of college. They could be 10k in credit car debt

• Locked thread