Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's 2016 and people are just figuring out that points contenders hang back at Talladega

and people wonder why I have such a hatred of NASCAR fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

VikingSkull posted:

It's 2016 and people are just figuring out that points contenders hang back at Talladega

and people wonder why I have such a hatred of NASCAR fans

I realize this and I've only really been watching a year lol. Maybe it's from all the Dale Senior races I've watched though.

Helps that I do the same thing in iRacing!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah I was always a stroker, too. Gimme them sweet top 5's with no 4x thanks

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004

Elitist Bitch posted:

I can't believe I missed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5booheLzI

I wanted to hear the song so badly back in '06 but it never materialized. A rap song written about a NASCAR driver from Arkansas is funny as hell.

Thanks to this song for the reminder, my camshaft is in dire needing of clearing out.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

:siren:Cup Drivers Are Now Restricted From Doing Too Many Races:siren:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/10/26/2017-limitations-sprint-cup-drivers-xfinity-truck-series-races.html

Gist of it is
10 Xfinity races and 7 camping world truck races

Prohibited from the chase cutoff and chase races (Dash 4 Cash races too)

If a driver has under 5 years experience in cup they're exempt from those guidelines

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think 10/7 is even a little too much but gently caress yes at everything else

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to post a "I am confused nascar did a good thing?" And then I remembered I liked the new rules package so...

Good move anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BMB5150 posted:

If a driver has under 5 years experience in cup they're exempt from those guidelines

I'm OK with this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BMB5150 posted:

:siren:Cup Drivers Are Now Restricted From Doing Too Many Races:siren:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/10/26/2017-limitations-sprint-cup-drivers-xfinity-truck-series-races.html

Gist of it is
10 Xfinity races and 7 camping world truck races

Hot drat, they did it. They did it and they didn't do it badly somehow. :dogbutton:

Still think it should be a set number across all series and 10/7 is probably too generous to the drivers, but whatever, they did A Good Thing.

e- Really think they need to investigate someday a provision where Cup drivers can only drive one car per NXS team. That way, there's a barrier to running Kyle, Denny, and Matt in the same NXS race because they all want to run Charlotte or whatever.

Hypothetical list of races which would prohibit Cup driver participation in 2017:
-Bristol (Spring; D4C)
-Richmond (Spring; D4C)
-Dover (Spring; D4C)
-Iowa (non-companion)
-Indianapolis (D4C)
-Iowa again
-Mid-Ohio (non-companion)
-Road America (non-companion)
-Chicago (Chase cutoff) (e- Yes, per Pockrass)
-Kentucky, Dover, Charlotte, Kansas, Texas, Phoenix, Homestead (Chase)

So 16/33. Yeesh, the regular season could be ugly when you really think about it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 26, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Gonna be funny when they all pick different races and still win every one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The drivers who will probably still be able to run unlimited races in NXS (with a Cup ride) and have a chance at winning them, based on RoTY classes, are as follows:
2017- Jones, T. Dillon(?)
2016- Elliott, Blaney, Scott, Buescher
2015- Nobody really
2014- Larson, A. Dillon, Allgaier, Bowman
2013- Stenhouse, Danica

VikingSkull posted:

Gonna be funny when they all pick different races and still win every one.

You're expecting NASCAR to get the rule totally right after it took them 12 years to admit "We have a problem"?

Even with your prediction inevitably being the outcome, I think the net for me is I'll have more NXS races to watch. My viewing habits have pretty much been plate races, road courses, non-companions, and maybe Bristol since 2006.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If it's a race I watch it, often times who wins is irrelevant to the actual enjoyment of the racing.

Even if you cut the Cup guys out completely, we're at the point in the sport that it's just gonna be the same 3 or 4 guys in Victory Lane regularly, anyway.

Ban Cup teams not Cup drivers. That's the real problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It won't help because the good dedicated GNS teams are gone and the racing is atrociously bad. You'll just get worse fields. What that series needs is a money injection and a better car.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Edit: ^^^Removing downforce did wonders for Cup on it's own, maybe do it there too.

VikingSkull posted:

If it's a race I watch it, often times who wins is irrelevant to the actual enjoyment of the racing.

Even if you cut the Cup guys out completely, we're at the point in the sport that it's just gonna be the same 3 or 4 guys in Victory Lane regularly, anyway.

Ban Cup teams not Cup drivers. That's the real problem.

Right, the biggest issue is the huge disparity between the top teams and just the mid teams. But a bigger variety of drivers between the series wouldn't hurt either and would give more guys a chance to hop into a seat. And probably with less star power, there will be less sponsor interest and can bring those teams back in line (at the risk of killing the series) But while in theory the idea of removing Cup teams from the lower series would be a nice idea, in practice we already know that it doesn't mean anything. KBM may as well be JGR, BKR is basically Penske.

Hell, major factor in why cup is fairly competitive in comparison is half the field is basically made up of only 3 teams effectively.

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
I wonder what the networks think about all this.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Given that nobody watches Xfinity or the truck races besides the 3 of us in IRC for the truck races, does it matter?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I guarantee you won't see more people in IRC next year because of this

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I guarantee you won't see more people in IRC next year because of this

Then it's the perfect change

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched a couple of Xfinity races, I saw that dope as hell bristol race, and uhhh.. the ones that Edwards and Junyer commentated on which were obviously so unremarkable that all I remember is who commentated on them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Guess what time it is?

It's time for the :siren: STEWART-HAAS RACING HALLOWEEN PARTY :siren:

https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/791469373923950592
https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/791474033934135296

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
nice Chuck's, Smoke

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Chase Elliott running a truck at Martinsville. Probably doing it for the ratings.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Take 17 minutes and watch Fox's salute to Dick Trickle on his 75th birthday.

If you've never seen it, this is your trigger warning. It starts with his 911 call, telling dispatch where to find his body.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hey Smoke, those glasses make you look like a fat nerd

Also, nice Chucks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

theacox posted:

Chase Elliott running a truck at Martinsville. Probably doing it for the ratings.

it's a gorgeous truck though

e- mods plz name change to Smoke's Chucks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Chiquita was better last year :colbert:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It is incredible the consistency with which JWT will bumble his way into a wreck

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

GMS win number 5 of the year :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ben Rhodes is gonna piss hot at his next drug test.

Am I the only one that noticed Matt Tifft's sponsor was BrainGear?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
https://twitter.com/23SpeedRacer/status/792811615913709569

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Hey, I see most of me in the background in that reply!

Got all my Dega photos piled into a folder, will post trip report tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/23SpeedRacer/status/792801903084208128
https://twitter.com/23SpeedRacer/status/792803403936194560

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNXq5DUZnk

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lol @ all this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
OCFS handles yellow disputes better than this, and I've seen drivers ram the pace car there

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Edwards' car got repaired before NASCAR could figure out who is where in the restart.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/792817085747527682

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This is like Talladega in slow motion. Somebody pops out of line and guys follow. Somebody gets hung to the high side and fades to the back.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

That's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

fuseshock posted:

That's ridiculous.

So I'm guessing those 2 didn't get the wave around so they are technically back of the pack in respect to both Gordon lucky dog and everyone else in the wave around. Wish the booth made it a little more clear why those 2 were up front.

• Locked thread