Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Genocyber posted:

It definitely can be tricky figuring out when you can hit bosses with spells, but if you can do that you can do massive damage while being much safer than if you were more melee-focused. Against the Abyss Watchers, for example, I took out 3/4ths of the first phases HP before it even got to me, and 1/2 of the second phases HP before it could as well. Generally speaking, staying at extreme range (just outside of lock-on) will cause most bosses to do an edgelord slow walk towards you. So you start the spell cast there, walk into lock-on range, lock-on, and fire. You'll probably hit them before they have a chance to move or start to attack.

That's my biggest issue with spell builds. You have to go through all that poo poo for okay damage. With an STR build I can rush in, roll and get the same amount of damage out of an UGS swing to the rear end and roll back out. With the added bonus that if I gently caress up and they hit me, it's not going to cancel out the attack because UGS get super armor and wizards do not.

RabidWeasel posted:

I have somehow never made a pure pyro before, the Onyx Blade is cool enough that I want a piece of that action, what are the best pyromancies to use other than Chaos Bed Vestiges, GCFO and Black Serpent?

I might convert my dude to a pyromancer to play with that sword since it looks pretty cool. Now I'm sad dual wielding isn't as good as it was in Dark Souls 2 and I won't be able to use it and the moonlight greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Oh my god bird rapier has the sickest hidden moveset

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dropped down from the roof to fight them and it turns out they literally can't hit you from the rafters. the black armor one doesn't even think to throw knives at you; it just runs around in circles seeming very confused

I played with them for a while before I got bored and killed them

I just did a plunging attack with fume sword and almost one hit killed one of them. The fume sword really sucks for some fights (end boss is owning me) but the corvians never touched me

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I must've missed a path in the DLC because I'm explored everywhere and I'm stuck, haven't even fought a boss. I've done the route with all the vikings(and fought the wolf miniboss twice), done the Corvian village, killed the Onyx blade NPC and rescued the painter, explored past there and went through the shortcut with all the bugs to appear back at the chapel with Efriede, and went down to Priscilla's tower and killed the pyro NPC there. Was there a way down from there that I missed maybe? Do I need to "show flame" to the NPCs, whatever that means?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

I must've missed a path in the DLC because I'm explored everywhere and I'm stuck, haven't even fought a boss. I've done the route with all the vikings(and fought the wolf miniboss twice), done the Corvian village, killed the Onyx blade NPC and rescued the painter, explored past there and went through the shortcut with all the bugs to appear back at the chapel with Efriede, and went down to Priscilla's tower and killed the pyro NPC there. Was there a way down from there that I missed maybe? Do I need to "show flame" to the NPCs, whatever that means?

go back to the bug basement, there was a wheel you could turn at the bottom where all the flies were. also you can cut down the bridge that leads to friede's church (do it from the church side) and climb down it like in the catacombs

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh my god bird rapier has the sickest hidden moveset

I actually wish it didn't have the 2nd L1 attack because although it looks cool it does gently caress all damage and being able to chain R1 => L1 directly into the twin claw slashes would be amazing. The 3rd L1 is great but due to being the 3rd move in the chain it's kinda hard to make good use of.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starting a new character for the DLC and because I love this game, with the sorcerer buff, is pure sorcerer amazing now? Or should I go Pyro, and then try and hybrid into sorceries?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
sorcerer was always good. theres plenty of pyro spells you can use with a pure sorc too so do whatever you like.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any recommendations for Dark Souls III Let's Plays or streams (preferably first playthroughs)? :3:

Game's been out for a while now and I really enjoyed having that stuff on my second monitor when leveling my Nth character in DS1/2.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Your Computer posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for Dark Souls III Let's Plays or streams (preferably first playthroughs)? :3:

Game's been out for a while now and I really enjoyed having that stuff on my second monitor when leveling my Nth character in DS1/2.

Lucky Ted was fun

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
How the hell do you tell who's on your team in the team fight thing? It seems like you can tell because they're name is red and you can lock on, but sometimes you don't see their name and I spent like half the match just figuring out who's friendly. It seems like it should be more obvious,. I must be missing something, right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
LORE QUESTION: Why is Ariandel tied down in his chair? He seems perfectly willing to keep flailing himself so its not like he was forced to do that. He seems pretty calm up until you stab Friede, so why did he need to be held down?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

LORE QUESTION: Why is Ariandel tied down in his chair? He seems perfectly willing to keep flailing himself so its not like he was forced to do that. He seems pretty calm up until you stab Friede, so why did he need to be held down?

He's just been in the chair for so long that he's fused with it like that one poor women was with a toilet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

How the hell do you tell who's on your team in the team fight thing? It seems like you can tell because they're name is red and you can lock on, but sometimes you don't see their name and I spent like half the match just figuring out who's friendly. It seems like it should be more obvious,. I must be missing something, right?

Crowns

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

He's just been in the chair for so long that he's fused with it like that one poor women was with a toilet.

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it was implied that if he flails himself that produces fire which burns the painting. Basically Friede tied him to the chair and bolted him to the floor so he wouldnt go and look for the flail.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I'd recommend Kay but she gave the game up really early.

I liked Northernlion's but he called it quits on NK and SoC but it's mostly complete.

Super Best Friends is fun. Pat is every guy who ever thought he knew more than he actually knew about Dark Souls but Matt's there to keep him from getting insufferable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Pat is every guy who ever thought he knew more than he actually knew about Dark Souls but Matt's there to keep him from getting insufferable.

"So, I did some leveling off camera" is one of the funniest cold opens to an LP ever

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone know how Undead Match deals with player levels? I think I'm seeing the level down icon occassionally or that might just be the new "I've PvP'd alot" icon

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I finally got to the DLC and first impressions is that it's kind of poo poo. My least favorite part of Dark Souls 2 was the snow field with the blizzard so having more snow effects isn't great. The enemy design is kind of lackluster. Wolves are just :effort: and the tree women are really poo poo, their branches are so awkward that I find it's almost impossible to tell when they're about to do their grab attack and the flames are bullet hell tier. Fly men just feel out of place. Hopefully the bosses make up for it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

he's tied up because friede did so- ariandel wants to restore the painting/paint a new painting as he can see the fire is flickering. if you look at the description for his flail, the purpose of the thing is to draw blood as to paint worlds using his magical painting technique or whatever.
ariandel is also shown to have an attachment to friede so when he sees the blood from you murdering her he goes berserk. literally all the paintings in the chapel room where friede resides is filled with paintings of her. it's hard to realize but if you look closely during the unlocking cutscene you can see the hairstyle and color match.

friede is a weirdo so she's trying to grant the world a slow, peaceful and rotting death. the actual native inhabitants of the world are 100% not okay with this because it rots them, but her followers in the form of the weirdo you first meet in the cave when getting to the DLC alongside the dudes praying outside the church are probably the folks she's dedicated to. her armor description is neato because it directly states that she abandoned the sable church in favor of granting these dudes the savior they wanted. vilheim also abandoned the church with friede, but that's pretty much all i got on his part.

that's what i've garnered anyhow from reading item descriptions and looking at the environments.
not really sure what to make of the chapel also being priscilla's grave- i guess theoretically the kid is ariandel and priscilla's or something besides on the visual elements she's got

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I really like the delayed NPC summon, it's nice to have it trigger when you actually need it

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Kind of disappointed. Only died a couple of times, and that was due to annoying platforming on loving BRANCHES REALLY DID WE NEED TO BRING THOSE BACK?

Over all felt kind of short. I'm clearly overleveled for it (135 in NG+) because I burned through pretty much everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tarezax posted:

She's the only story boss. There's a side boss at the bottom of the icy canyon, and you can climb up the ladder in the chapel to talk to the painter girl for a bit of extra dialogue and go back to the corvian guy in the settlement to get a titanite slab.

That guy wasn't there for me afterwards.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RBA Starblade posted:

That guy wasn't there for me afterwards.

He moves out in front of the building.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Supremezero posted:

He moves out in front of the building.

:downs:

Thanks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Huh, apparently I'm supposed to meet this vilhelm nerd more than once? I don't know where I'm supposed to go because this DLC just kind of drops you into a wide open area with no guide like the dark souls 2 DLC does so now this guy is just hostile and now he's dead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how the boss scythe from this dlc apparently has an effective range of two thirds of the undead arena, and you cannot stop it no matter what armor they are wearing.

e: Like it's seriously totally unstoppable no matter what, the guy's in follower armor so it's not a lot of poise or anything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wish there was a more visceral reward to winning in the new pvp arena

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
How do you get to the crow settlement from the chapel? I just went left and kept going until I reached the chapel from the starting area. Am I supposed to beat Capra Artorias first or is that only for the arena?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

How do you get to the crow settlement from the chapel? I just went left and kept going until I reached the chapel from the starting area. Am I supposed to beat Capra Artorias first or is that only for the arena?

I went right at the start and wound up there. So I guess I went the wrong way for the optional stuff, whoops. A loving archer with bullshit delayed explosive arrows just launched me off a cliff. Those arrows are stupid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You seem to be really not enjoying yourself so maybe play something else

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Just finished.

In spite of the Length, I enjoyed it. I think it could have been just a tad longer, have one more boss and people wouldn't have been so pissed about it.

By the way, what's the deal with that little shrine after the last boss fight? There's a bunch of high rated messages near it saying "try gesture" but every gesture I try does nothing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The explosive arrow archers seem to deliberately target the ground under you. Sometimes they still hit you directly, but as long as you keep moving you shouldn't get hit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tarezax posted:

The explosive arrow archers seem to deliberately target the ground under you. Sometimes they still hit you directly, but as long as you keep moving you shouldn't get hit.

They aren't explosive arrows

They are earthquake arrows

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So apparently my brother downloaded the dlc, then had to redownload it so we could play tonight. That's weird.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You seem to be really not enjoying yourself so maybe play something else

I reinstalled the game to play the DLC, I might as well finish it. :shrug:

Tarezax posted:

Some of them do. The guy on the tower seemed to be aiming for my dude's face well enough.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the LP suggestions!

I finally beat Sir Vilhelm on my level 30 character. Found a couple of ways to cheese him, but his AI is a god drat jerk. He'll chain kicks and frickin' jumping attacks just to gently caress with you. The first cheese I found is that there's a living tree (well, two actually) to the left of the building he's in. Pull him outside and let them kill him for you with Frostbite. You'll probably want to parry him to make him stand in the frost breath.

Second cheese is the oldest one of them all; just make him follow you off a cliff :downs:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I managed to solo the final boss of the DLC on NG+++

so yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The axe w/ the cool weapon art is garbage. Even wasted a slab on it. The art does almost no damage, players can crush you while you're doing it, and it's just not a hard hitting weapon at all. ah well