Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I am 100% sure Arkham works solo out of the box

Granted you might wanna play two characters ala LotR but I know it's designed to play solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, it's Solo, the same way LOTR was solo. Though this probably will be more viable solo (I hope.) There were some adventures in LOTR that absolutely required you to play 2 handed if you wanted to survive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any need for two or more cores of Arkham?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Potentially one extra, since the hand limit is 2 per item in that game. I think with more than 2 people, yes definitely.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm thinking it will probably be a Gandalf case where you can make more than 2 decks with 2 cores, but there's some clutch cards that you'd want in every deck. I haven't seen the spoiler yet, that's pure speculation based on LotR.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bottom Liner posted:

Any need for two or more cores of Arkham?

You need two core sets to make the premade decks in the learn-to-play guide if you want to do a 4-player game.

It's probably one of those things where you need 2 cores for 4-player now but in like 2 years when the card pool is deeper, you won't.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

I'm thinking it will probably be a Gandalf case where you can make more than 2 decks with 2 cores, but there's some clutch cards that you'd want in every deck. I haven't seen the spoiler yet, that's pure speculation based on LotR.

According to some random dude who got a copy at arkham nights, the characters have 'classes' that dictate what cards you're allowed to include in your deck, and there's overlap as each character has two classes or whatever. I could definitely see wanting to use the same card from class X in both character A and character B's respective decks. This only gets worse if there's only one copy in the core to begin with. I'll probably do my LotR thing of proxying a couple extras of the staples so I don't have to hunt them down & swap them around constantly.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The full card list has been spoiled on board game geek for quite a while now. There's some pretty decent stuff in it especially for plots.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
In regards to Arkham Horror and 1/2 cores. You absolutely need 2 cores to do 4 players. The Learn to Play guide has sample decks for all of the investigators and what duo of investigators you can build with each other with only 1 box. There's not enough neutral cards to build 3 from one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What about if you only plan to play with 2? Is there still a need for additional cores to play optimally? I want to go ahead and preorder at CSI.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There are probably some core cards that will be singletons and be useful, but that will fade as time goes on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ok, I'll go with 1 and proxy anything essential then. The coop nature makes that much easier anyways.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wheres the best place to order AH LCG from?

I know there were changes when the Asmodee thing happened, but will it go up on Amazon at all or only individual sellers? I've got Amazon Prime running out pretty soon and it'd be great if I could actually use it. I live outside the US and ordering online is pretty much the only reasonable way to get things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Are there good guides for deckbuilding in Game of Thrones, and/or does anyone have any tips? My friend got all the expansions and netdecked, which of course crushed my untuned Lannister 3x Core deck, but I'd like to build decks without netdecking first so I can see why certain cards are good.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Wheres the best place to order AH LCG from?

I know there were changes when the Asmodee thing happened, but will it go up on Amazon at all or only individual sellers? I've got Amazon Prime running out pretty soon and it'd be great if I could actually use it. I live outside the US and ordering online is pretty much the only reasonable way to get things.

I'd like to know also. Is CoolStuffInc.com the fastest reliable way to get it? Preordering there is $33.99.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

Are there good guides for deckbuilding in Game of Thrones, and/or does anyone have any tips? My friend got all the expansions and netdecked, which of course crushed my untuned Lannister 3x Core deck, but I'd like to build decks without netdecking first so I can see why certain cards are good.

I'd like to know also. Is CoolStuffInc.com the fastest reliable way to get it? Preordering there is $33.99.

You can ask at your local shop if they are getting it, but otherwise yeah, probably CSI.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Netdecking is the fastest way to improve as a player so you don't have a scapegoat (deckbuilding) to blame your losses on. It's entirely possible to make a perfectly competitive deck with just a few packs. Look up ThronesDB tournament lists, some of them have writeups describing card choices and explaining the deck.

nyxnyxnyx fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 27, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Netdecking is the fastest way to improve as a player so you don't have a scapegoat (deckbuilding) to blame your losses on. It's entirely possible to make a perfectly competitive deck with just a few packs. Look up ThronesDB tournament lists, some of them have writeups describing card choices and explaining the deck.

Yeah I've been netdecking for a while now and it's worked 10x better than anything I put together myself.

Although I did put together a Lanni Winter deck that's done well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

The best advice I've read about starting with AGoT 2.0 deck building is to limit your deck to about 3 characters that cost 5 or more and build around them. You can do 4 if you have plenty of economy cards, but it's a trap to shove a bunch of the big characters into a deck (especially if playing two houses). That one guideline really streamlined all my decks and made them much better.

This is the biggest tip for deck building. Also, you want between 30-36 characters generally, then build locations/events/attachments around them and your plot deck.

I think the card pool is still small enough that most decks are pretty clear for about 90% of the cards, but the plot deck is really what differentiates players and deck building, because there are some tough choices in there that can be mainly guided by your local meta.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bottom Liner posted:

This is the biggest tip for deck building. Also, you want between 30-36 characters generally, then build locations/events/attachments around them and your plot deck.

I think the card pool is still small enough that most decks are pretty clear for about 90% of the cards, but the plot deck is really what differentiates players and deck building, because there are some tough choices in there that can be mainly guided by your local meta.

To add on to the good advice provided here, you also want to watch your gold costs in general. You'll want to make sure you have a reasonable amount of 0/1/2 cost stuff so you get good setup hands. Along with making sure you don't have too many limited cards/events/attachments that your setups are clogged. Economy is much tighter in 2.0 vs 1.0 so you'll always want to be thinking about card costs, and your plot selection plays a lot into that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
What are some of the better cycles/stand alone expansions for LOTR that are in print? I was thinking of going in order to the Mirkwood cycle but the earlier packs are OOP. So far I've got the cores, The Hobbit sagas, and Khazad-Dum.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 28, 2016

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really enjoyed The Black Riders, which (I'm not really up to date with the game) let you make some fantastic Hobbit themed decks right out of the box.

I was going to place an order for Arkham Horror and some storage, and reached the point where a second core set would add $70 to my order. I'm really wondering how crucial that second core set is. I usually only played with 2 people for LOTR, and just made due with not having full playsets of the core set cards especially with all the expansions that later got released.

Netrunner is the only one I've purchased more than a single core set for, and that was with all cards being player-cards and not (presumably useless) extra scenario cards.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Odds are that it's less necessary than in LoTR. There is a limit of 2 copies of a card in a deck.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

T-Bone posted:

What are some of the better cycles/stand alone expansions for LOTR that are in print? I was thinking of going in order to the Mirkwood cycle but the earlier packs are OOP. So far I've got the cores, The Hobbit sagas, and Khazad-Dum.

The Mirkwood cycle is the worst (apart from Heirs of Numenor(?) which is supposed to be brutally hard).

Dwarrowdelf and Ring-Maker are the best cycles imo, for both player cards and quests.

The saga boxes are generally good and better stand-alone experiences than the non-campaign expansion boxes.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

T-Bone posted:

If you can't get the first two cycles, get the last two (Angmar Awakened and Dream-chaser). They're really good, with strong player cards and super interesting quest mechanics.

Core/Shadows of Mirkwood - boring staple quests
Khazad Dum/Dwarrowdelf - mix of great quests and stinkers but plenty of solid player cards
Heirs of Numenor/Against the Shadow - just goddamn hard, good to wait until your cardpool has filled out
Voice of Isengard/The Ring-Maker - various mechanic hate - quests that punish chump blockers, card draw, etc. You want to be on point with your deckbuilding. Also where quest design really starts getting good
The Lost Realm/Angmar Awakened - great quests but difficulty is all over the place. You get one of the easiest quests early, and then arguably the hardest quest in the entire game later
The Grey Havens/Dream-chaser - very thematic but with a lot of triggers/complicated setup to watch for

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

Odds are that it's less necessary than in LoTR. There is a limit of 2 copies of a card in a deck.

I guess what I didn't realize is that most of the non-neutral cards are 1-ofs according to cardgamedb, which actually makes it feel more necessary. I wound up just buying two core sets, and managed to bring the cost down a bit than what I had initially through changing a few shipping options.

They probably won't arrive for at least a month, but hopefully there will be enough gameplay to last a good while.

Hopefully the game is a success. I don't think FFG has ever really struck out with the Arkham games (this is heavily colored by my nostalgia)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Looking to unload some LOTR stuff since I play so rarely.

2x Core set
First cycle
A few of 2nd cycle
Hobbit: over under
Hobbit: on doorstep
Khaza dum

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

djfooboo posted:

2x Core set
First cycle
A few of 2nd cycle
Khaza dum

Sent you a PM

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

djfooboo posted:

2x Core set
First cycle
A few of 2nd cycle
Khaza dum

Tentatively interested if the deal with Megasabin doesn't work out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Interest check in my collection as well. Core, 8 big boxes, 28 adventure packs, sleeves, and custom stuff for organization and components. Pricing for core, 20/big box, 10/AP, +accesories for total of $535. $500 without the artists case. Most cards are unplayed and brand new, just realized I play a lot more on OCTGN with my friends than in person and can put the money towards other games I'll actually get to play.

Includes proxies of 2nd/3rd core cards

Comes in Artsits box with Broken Token organizer and all player cards sleeved in Ultra Pro

Encounter cards

Custom playmat

Custom tokens

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 29, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

djfooboo posted:

2x Core set
First cycle
A few of 2nd cycle
Khaza dum

I'm interested in all of that minus 1 core, if your previous offers don't work out and you'll ship to Europe for cheap. Which sounds unlikely but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Any word on how prone the new Arkham Horror LCG is to quarterbacking? I know, almost any coop game is going to have quarterbacking to some degree, but does it have any mitigating elements?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think the fact that each player has their own private hand helps with the quarterbacking.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You could also stick to the soft rule that you can't say what each other should or can do specifically. Just "I can help there."

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not interested in the LOTR stuff but I just want to say I am very impressed with that organization and custom components. Those are really cool!

I went through and watched the reveal video from Arkham Nights and the DTRPG review of Arkham, and I'm feeling a bit more confident in my purchase of two core sets. One thing that I think I like is the idea of taking the deck with you through multiple scenarios in a campaign and only modifying it through the use of XP. One thing that I initially liked but began to grow annoyed with was that in LOTR things were usually so difficult that you had to specifically scrap and build a deck from scratch to specifically counter certain scenarios.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Interest check in my collection as well. Core, 8 big boxes, 28 adventure packs, sleeves, and custom stuff for organization and components. Pricing for core, 20/big box, 10/AP, +accesories for total of $535. $500 without the artists case. Most cards are unplayed and brand new, just realized I play a lot more on OCTGN with my friends than in person and can put the money towards other games I'll actually get to play.

Includes proxies of 2nd/3rd core cards

Comes in Artsits box with Broken Token organizer and all player cards sleeved in Ultra Pro

Encounter cards

Custom playmat

Custom tokens

You probably don't want to split any of this up but if someone ends up just wanting the cards I'm very interested in the playmat and tokens.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm not interested in the LOTR stuff but I just want to say I am very impressed with that organization and custom components. Those are really cool!

Thanks. Pimping out components and organization is probably half of the fun of board gaming for me. I spent a week on a hand made Mage Knight foam board organizer, now I'm making another to fit all the expansions :v:

DonnyTrump posted:

You probably don't want to split any of this up but if someone ends up just wanting the cards I'm very interested in the playmat and tokens.

Probably not, since if noone bites here they will be good eye candy for the Ebay listing.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 30, 2016

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I went through and watched the reveal video from Arkham Nights and the DTRPG review of Arkham, and I'm feeling a bit more confident in my purchase of two core sets. One thing that I think I like is the idea of taking the deck with you through multiple scenarios in a campaign and only modifying it through the use of XP. One thing that I initially liked but began to grow annoyed with was that in LOTR things were usually so difficult that you had to specifically scrap and build a deck from scratch to specifically counter certain scenarios.

I love everything about LOTR LCG, except the deck building. It's what ultimately killed it for me and made me sell it off, half the game was building scenario specific decks. I'd really love to see them make a LOTR game on the engine they used for Arkham, or the Warhammer Quest ACG.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks. Pimping out components and organization is probably half of the fun of board gaming for me.

I ran to a craft store and got some circular bead organizers for my Game of Thrones tokens and it just felt so much better than dumping a bag full of tokens on the table, so I agree. Thankfully my thriftiness stopped me from spending $6 on some cheap plastic "gold" coins, and the "real"-looking Game of Thrones coins are way too expensive.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Just did my first few test games of LOTR with only the core set. I have tried every deck except tactics so far. Only won one game (leadership), everything else was a loss. Spirit seems strong but I got location swamped. Once the Hummerhorns came out I lost a hero and I threated out real fast. This game is super brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When can events be played in LOTR? Can they played in response to things like in MTG? As in if you have an event that is going to remove health and kill a hero, can you play the healing event to save the hero?