Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Goddamn I already loved brick frog but that makes him so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

That was mentioned in a previous thread, but I'm happy to see more people finding it out. There's a real craft to this show, even if things like the ORB fall a little flat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Their strengths are in naming things and making obscure references.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did people figure out what the deal was with that guy in a bear costume holding a knife?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did people figure out what the deal was with that guy in a bear costume holding a knife?
No but he was totally at not Andy Warhol's party.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think they referred to him as Scare Bear on the Warhol commentary.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Their strengths are in naming things and making obscure references.

Slight downside is that what with the sheer number of ancillary characters they've created, they've basically owned the entire hell out of the concept of "sarcastically named parody superhero" to the point where nobody else trying to do something funny with comic-book type characters will ever be able to come up with an original name/character concept again.

"Phantom Limb" is such a drat coup.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Data Graham posted:

He did attempt a coup, yes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Comrade Quack posted:

I think they referred to him as Scare Bear on the Warhol commentary.

Yeah, according to the commentary he had a cut B-story where he was jealous of Rusty for being the new modeling muse.

One of the rare instances that the commentary shed some light on an episode. As much as I live their commentaries, moments like that makes me really wish there were an alternate commentary where they talked about the craft of the show, their process, design inspirations, etc. Oh well.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I gotta pick up more of the DVD sets, Ive only heard the frist 3 season's worth of commentary.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Slight downside is that what with the sheer number of ancillary characters they've created, they've basically owned the entire hell out of the concept of "sarcastically named parody superhero" to the point where nobody else trying to do something funny with comic-book type characters will ever be able to come up with an original name/character concept again.

Didn't they find themselves on the receiving end of that problem when they tried to come up with parodies of GI Joe names? They would think up the most ridiculous name and then it would turn up that a character already had that name.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

X_Toad posted:

Didn't they find themselves on the receiving end of that problem when they tried to come up with parodies of GI Joe names? They would think up the most ridiculous name and then it would turn up that a character already had that name.
They did pretty well with Tank Top, Bum Rush, and Shuttlecock. They just had to pick ones that could never actually be GI Joes for one reason or another.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I don't know, it seems like they're just following in the footsteps of The Tick.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

A really good venture bros character would be a guy called Tick or something non-infringing and he is just Arthur with a facial tick

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Machai posted:

A really good venture bros character would be a guy called Tick or something non-infringing and he is just Arthur with a facial tick

Ben Edlund is the only person besides Doc & Jackson that has written a venture bros episode. They're pals and have free reign to use whatever they wanted.

But yeah I would enjoy something like that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They did pretty well with Tank Top, Bum Rush, and Shuttlecock. They just had to pick ones that could never actually be GI Joes for one reason or another.

I always felt it was weird that the guy in the dog-costume in Bum Rush's trolley disappeared when 'Rush and the others got outed as turn-coats or whatever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just discovered that phage's costume is based on a bacteriophage

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jose posted:

just discovered that phage's costume is based on a bacteriophage
Yeah his henchmen are proteins.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

And grad students lol

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

theflyingexecutive posted:

And grad students lol

As were Doc's (unpaid?) grunts building the Gargantua 2's ray shields!

Show's realistic about it's treatment of grad students is all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Pro-Teens!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But wouldn't most grad students be in their 20s?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that's why they're pros

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Maybe they're high school interns, who do the real poo poo lab work in research

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JediTalentAgent posted:

But wouldn't most grad students be in their 20s?

Like Rusty cares about things like age and education, he just seems them as acceptable losses

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really hope they do a Christmas song this year :3:

They call me heat miser
Whenever I touch things
They are always beginning to melt...
I'M TOO MUCH!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh and nothing is better than Dean's cheery "Thanks, God!" after the line "Tonight thank god it's them instead of you" in the version of Do They Know It's Christmas :laugh:

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Is 21 (Gary) named after Gary Gygax?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hedrigall posted:

I really hope they do a Christmas song this year :3:

They call me heat miser
Whenever I touch things
They are always beginning to melt...
I'M TOO MUCH!

To me, the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend version of Crosby/Bowie's Little Drummer Boy is the definitive one.

"Come on in.

Come in. COME IN.
COME IN, DAVID BOWIE, NOW."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Republicanus posted:

Is 21 (Gary) named after Gary Gygax?

You might be on to something there.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I thought he was named after the mountain bike guy with the funny facial hair because he got banned from racing for a while cuz his hair was too long just like 21's hair was getting long.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wait woah, Gary Fisher basically invented the mountain bike and has a line of 21(!)-speed mountain bikes named after him. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Machai posted:

Wait woah, Gary Fisher basically invented the mountain bike and has a line of 21(!)-speed mountain bikes named after him. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Brick Frog was a pun, so I wouldn't even doubt this at this point.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Titmouse store has season four shirt club shirts. Limited quantities, they're the original shirts that they found in a warehouse. 30 bucks each though.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cloks posted:

The Titmouse store has season four shirt club shirts. Limited quantities, they're the original shirts that they found in a warehouse. 30 bucks each though.

Mostly sold out already.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's actually season 3. I had no idea they did a shirt club back then.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Geez, 24 has been dead a long time/Holy poo poo we've had 3 seasons in 8 years

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the heads up on the t-shirts, I grabbed a 24 memorial one. I really wish I got the gray OSI one in season 5 (?).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Snagged a Venture Industries and a Dean!

Was torn on 24, thought I probably wouldn't end up wearing it much, decided against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

Was torn on 24, thought I probably wouldn't end up wearing it much, decided against it.

I wear mine to any con or other nerdy thing I go to and it always gets comments.