Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Outrail posted:

I don't play Warhammer but I like the ridiculous lore. Surely it's so derivative of so many other pop culture poo poo you could draw up a virtually identical game and successfully defend it in court.

I'm the same way. I have zero interest in ever trying to actually play WH40k but I love reading all the articles on 40k wikia because you get to enjoy all the insane lore for the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Outrail posted:

I don't play Warhammer but I like the ridiculous lore. Surely it's so derivative of so many other pop culture poo poo you could draw up a virtually identical game and successfully defend it in court.

Games Workshop has literally copyrighted "Space Marine" and they defend it like mad. Have fun trying to get around their legal division, it's apparently the only competent department in that whole stupid company.

Which is a shame, because the lore is pretty great. Grimdark badassery in the 40K universe is a lot of fun, if you're not interacting with the dweebs that take it too seriously.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm the same way. I have zero interest in ever trying to actually play WH40k but I love reading all the articles on 40k wikia because you get to enjoy all the insane lore for the universe.

:hfive:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chichevache posted:

Games Workshop has literally copyrighted "Space Marine" and they defend it like mad. Have fun trying to get around their legal division, it's apparently the only competent department in that whole stupid company.

Which is a shame, because the lore is pretty great. Grimdark badassery in the 40K universe is a lot of fun, if you're not interacting with the dweebs that take it too seriously.

Which is funny, because the term "Space Marine" gets dumber the more that you think about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Outrail posted:

Like Warcraft and Starcraft!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

This is the most I know about tabletop gaming but I still find it hilarious.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LawfulWaffle posted:

I went looking but I couldn't find a video of freakouts at tabletop gaming sessions. That has to be a treasure trove, but why would anyone be filming a Warhammer match?

That's because you need a wide angle lense

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bobjr posted:

Even if you don't like mini-gaming or other nerd poo poo, this is a pro-click.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Which is funny, because the term "Space Marine" gets dumber the more that you think about it.

Space Spagetts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chichevache posted:

Even if you don't like mini-gaming or other nerd poo poo, this is a pro-click.

"It seems Wheels busted out the Kobayashi Maru, and Shooter Kirked it."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

bobjr posted:

Out of curiosity, when it says that players take turns deploying, does that mean that one player puts down a unit, then other puts down a unit, then so on until the deployment is over? or is it one player puts down his entire force and then the other player does the same? I have to imagine it's the latter, because if it's the former then Wheels has to say "I deploy nothing" in between every single dude Shooter puts down and I can't believe he'd be thick enough to not realize what Shooter is doing as a long, exposed line slowly takes shape.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ninjahedgehog posted:

Out of curiosity, when it says that players take turns deploying, does that mean that one player puts down a unit, then other puts down a unit, then so on until the deployment is over? or is it one player puts down his entire force and then the other player does the same? I have to imagine it's the latter, because if it's the former then Wheels has to say "I deploy nothing" in between every single dude Shooter puts down and I can't believe he'd be thick enough to not realize what Shooter is doing as a long, exposed line slowly takes shape.

Wheels simply, confidently, said "I deploy nothing" and ignored his entire half of the deployment back and forth, not realizing that he was boned. That is why he's poring over the book there in the picture. He didn't remember the rule that would bar him from deploying troops, and only saw a long line of easy fodder. His overconfidence did him in, which is classic schadenfreude.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chichevache posted:

I could have sworn they lost that trademark and a ton of others and renamed them things like ADEPTUS ASTARTES or ASTRA MILITARIUM or FOREST-IN-FAKE-LATIN AEAELVES and whatnot. It was extra funny and thread-appropriate because (IIRC) they were actually litigating some guy that made knockoff models and parts, and the judge warned them that while they definitely had a case on some of their trademarks they would be insane to pursue the whole list of things they claimed and would likely lose a lot of trademarks in the process. The GW lawyers pressed on with their lawsuit anyway, and ~~poof~~ millions of GBP worth of trademark protectionism vanished into nothingness as it was decided by a court of law that no, you cannot trademark things as generic as "Imperial Guard".

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Didn't GW lose a major court case a few years ago and lost like half of their copyrights? They basically tried to clam every proper noun the company ever used a copyright. They tried to copy right generic words like Pikeman and Shining Helm or stuff like that. then they sperged out and killed half their IP and renamed everything. I know they lost their Spot the Space Marine fight.

GW is awful at everything they do. Their only redeeming quality is that they are so incompetent they actually manage to accidently do video games right by whoring out their IP once they kill off a game. Dawn Of War is also extremely successful despite of GW. I'm surprised they let DoW 3 happen.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Games Workshop is a multi-million-dollar company with trademarks that basically everyone on these forums have heard of, pretty massive brand recognition, whatever, and their then-CEO bragged in a financial report to investors that they did zero market research as it was "otiose in a niche".

You really cannot exaggerate how bad they are at every aspect of their own business.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

food court bailiff posted:

I could have sworn they lost that trademark and a ton of others and renamed them things like ADEPTUS ASTARTES or ASTRA MILITARIUM or FOREST-IN-FAKE-LATIN AEAELVES and whatnot. It was extra funny and thread-appropriate because (IIRC) they were actually litigating some guy that made knockoff models and parts, and the judge warned them that while they definitely had a case on some of their trademarks they would be insane to pursue the whole list of things they claimed and would likely lose a lot of trademarks in the process. The GW lawyers pressed on with their lawsuit anyway, and ~~poof~~ millions of GBP worth of trademark protectionism vanished into nothingness as it was decided by a court of law that no, you cannot trademark things as generic as "Imperial Guard".

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Didn't GW lose a major court case a few years ago and lost like half of their copyrights? They basically tried to clam every proper noun the company ever used a copyright. They tried to copy right generic words like Pikeman and Shining Helm or stuff like that. then they sperged out and killed half their IP and renamed everything. I know they lost their Spot the Space Marine fight.

GW is awful at everything they do. Their only redeeming quality is that they are so incompetent they actually manage to accidently do video games right by whoring out their IP once they kill off a game. Dawn Of War is also extremely successful despite of GW. I'm surprised they let DoW 3 happen.

I wasn't aware they lost a court case over that. It's awesome that they did. gently caress the suits who ruin great products.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus, I didn't wake up this morning thinking I'd encounter a completely new word today.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

for the record Talisman: The Horus Heresy is a videogame CCG based on the WH40k franchise and its okay

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Games Workshop is a multi-million-dollar company with trademarks that basically everyone on these forums have heard of, pretty massive brand recognition, whatever, and their then-CEO bragged in a financial report to investors that they did zero market research as it was "otiose in a niche".

You really cannot exaggerate how bad they are at every aspect of their own business.

And then it turns out that it's not so small a niche that other companies can't come in and steal business out from under their noses due to cheaper pricing models and not being massive tossers at every opportunity.

I bet 3D printing is eating into their profits when it comes to hobbyists who just play with their buddies as opposed to tournaments.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Slime posted:

And then it turns out that it's not so small a niche that other companies can't come in and steal business out from under their noses due to cheaper pricing models and not being massive tossers at every opportunity.

I bet 3D printing is eating into their profits when it comes to hobbyists who just play with their buddies as opposed to tournaments.

I kinda assumed that anyone still playing was a sufficiently diehard fan that they'd reject any unofficial figures out of hand.

Also, didn't they just release a new Warhammer edition that made players wear a cape or pretend to talk to a horse for stat bonuses? I think I remember that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
German teenager in clown mask stabbed after trying to scare group

quote:

A teenager’s attempt to frighten a group of young people by wearing a clown mask and brandishing a hammer on a Berlin street has turned out very badly, according to German police.
Berlin police said on Tuesday that a 14-year-old responded by pulling a knife and stabbing the clown, only to find that the clown was a 16-year-old acquaintance.
He provided first aid until emergency medical help could arrive. The older teenager was taken to a hospital. The 14-year-old was released to his parents.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chichevache posted:

Have fun trying to get around their legal division, it's apparently the only competent department in that whole stupid company.

Blizzard continuing to eat GW's lunch would seem to indicate otherwise.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Slime posted:

Yeah. Because GW proudly does zero market research, it took them a long time to even consider that they were no longer King poo poo of Plastic Dollman Mountain, and in the meantime an absolute shitload of other games have jumped into the fray (often via wildly successful Kickstarters). Ironically, 3D printing a model is pretty time-consuming and pricey if you want it to look decent, but GW products are marked up so insanely high that they're one of the few companies that regularly get knockoff Chinese recasts.

YggiDee posted:

I kinda assumed that anyone still playing was a sufficiently diehard fan that they'd reject any unofficial figures out of hand.

Also, didn't they just release a new Warhammer edition that made players wear a cape or pretend to talk to a horse for stat bonuses? I think I remember that.

Yeah, when they killed Warhammer Fantasy, one of their longest-running franchises with massive support, they replaced it with AGE OF SIGMAR which enticed you to buy new armies entirely by giving old, existing armies rules like "neigh like a horse to get an extra 2 inches on a charge attack" and bullshit like that. Also I believe they did away with points costs and threw up their hands at any semblance of a balanced game.

I haven't even touched a GW model in like seven years and it's still kind of amazing how insanely bad they've gotten and how quickly it's happening.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, what? They killed off Warhammer Fantasy? :stare:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ekuNNN posted:

Wait, what? They killed off Warhammer Fantasy? :stare:

It's now Age of Sigmar, a terrible 40k-lite version of Fantasy. On the bright side there have been a few good Fantasy video games now that GW doesn't care as much about it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yep. Had a big ol' apocalypse and remade it but dumber.

I remember one rule that caused a flap was getting a bonus if you have a moustache. A bigger moustache got a bigger bonus.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Yep. Had a big ol' apocalypse and remade it but dumber.

I remember one rule that caused a flap was getting a bonus if you have a moustache. A bigger moustache got a bigger bonus.

I always said the Hussars deserved more love.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The X-Wing game sounds really fun, only problem is, I loving hate Star Wars and the fans it attracts.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just find this sad because the dog's instincts are hindered by their in-breeding.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I just find this sad because the dog's instincts are hindered by their in-breeding.

They were bred so that they don't fear bears or turning their own vertebrae into powder.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/eO7JRpk.mp4

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Literally the only smart Australian wildlife are the birds, everything else is dumb as a bag of rocks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What disease do koalas get and doesnt it gently caress up their eyes?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Koalamydia

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Hihohe posted:

What disease do koalas get and doesnt it gently caress up their eyes?

Chlamydia of course.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

marshmallow creep posted:

There's also a technically legal army that lets you just declare that you win the game, no questions asked, unless your opponent also has one of the specific models that makes it function.

There's a model that lets you challenge your opponent to a roll-off, and whoever wins it wins the game, there's another model that (once per game) lets you declare a dice roll to be any number, even numbers that are technically impossible on a six sided die.

Basically their way of ensuring that everyone would buy their new stuff instead of continuing to use their old models was to make the rules for the old models embarrassing. Like one that required you to scream out "FOR THE LADY OF THE CHALICE!" if you wanted a model to be able to charge. Or the aforementioned mustache rule. I think there was one where if you ever had to kneel for any reason you lost the game because A DARK LORD DOES NOT KNEEL!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Did Warhammer invent the (more recent equivalent of) mobile game pay-to-win model? I can't think of any major examples before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Actual Age of Sigmar Rules:

quote:

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg’s skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

And He Did Say 'War', And The World Did Tremble...: If Settra the Imperishable uses this ability, you must hold out your hand and utter 'War' in a supremely commanding tone. If you do, then until your next Hero phase you can add 1 to all hit rolls for Death units in your army that are within 18" of Settra during the combat phase. If a Deathrattle unit is affected by this ability, you can also had 1 to their wound rolls in the combat phase. However, if Settra is your general, you must not kneel for any reason during the battle. If you do, even once, you immediately lose the battle. Settra does not kneel!

One Bat Short of a Belfry
: Konrad is a violent lunatic, and his temper does little to help his stretched sanity. If, during your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of 1 for him until your next hero phase. If Konrad von Carstein talks back to you, reroll all failed hit rolls instead.

The Mad Count
: Marius Leitdorf is an exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

To be honest, I can kind of see the reason behind the madness, in that GW might be trying to recapture its halcyon days as a silly tabletop wargame, with 80's hair metal elves and Inquisitor Sherlock Obiwan Clouseau- it's just that these rules would be silly even by those days' standards, and the models are still hellishly expensive.

fullroundaction posted:

Did Warhammer invent the (more recent equivalent of) mobile game pay-to-win model? I can't think of any major examples before it.

Kind of, I think? Part of it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to tabletop model wargames- you'd exhaust your customer base pretty drat sharpish if you didn't introduce new rules and models every so often, but GW really ran with it and started getting crazy, never seeming to realize that they were just a big fish in a small pool. Once other forms of entertainment really started taking off, GW's chances of success began to shrink.