Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

The ability to look up Soviet records to compare to German versions of events will never not be amazing. I read about a battle where (as the Germans claim) two Mechanized Corps' worth of T-34s drove into their ambush and 90% of them were destroyed. Actual Soviet tank losses for that day, across the entire Front: 5.

Could be worse, could be a formation of B-17s claiming some 50+ fighters when the only reported losses were 2.

Kill claims are always a wonderful thing, and never 100% accurate :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The ability to look up Soviet records to compare to German versions of events will never not be amazing. I read about a battle where (as the Germans claim) two Mechanized Corps' worth of T-34s drove into their ambush and 90% of them were destroyed. Actual Soviet tank losses for that day, across the entire Front: 5.

Obviously the Soviets were lying because Stalin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BattleMoose posted:

One of the previous posters suggested that mobile warfare could be achieved using tanks in waves(?).

So what if you have group A tanks bite, group 1 infantry holds.

Group B tanks bite in front of Groups A and 1, and group 2 infantry holds?

You're never getting Mobile Warfare as defined by WW2, but I don't think that was entirely the point. :shrug:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Could be worse, could be a formation of B-17s claiming some 50+ fighters when the only reported losses were 2.

That's probably why the majority of the book counts German claims in vague artsy terms like "hundreds", "piles" and "hordes".

BattleMoose posted:

One of the previous posters suggested that mobile warfare could be achieved using tanks in waves(?).

Tanks are used in waves, typically a wave of slow thickly armoured tanks to soak up hits from whatever AT guns your artillery didn't suppress and then a wave of lightly armoured faster tanks to exploit the breakthrough the heavy tanks made.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

little of value was lost. :colbert:

Speak up these stolen flags are loud af

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

That's probably why the majority of the book counts German claims in vague artsy terms like "hundreds", "piles" and "hordes".

The Nazis conquered a lot of countries and set up a lot of regimes to keep people in place.

Not only that, but they kept kill claims vague in order to continuously change the narrative even after proven wrong.

I guess you could say they were puppet masters :grin:

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So what if you have group A tanks bite, group 1 infantry holds.

Group B tanks bite in front of Groups A and 1, and group 2 infantry holds?

You're never getting Mobile Warfare as defined by WW2, but I don't think that was entirely the point. :shrug:

Group A, of tanks is fine. I have very serious doubts that Group B will exist in any meaningful numbers, its literally the drive of 10 miles to cover the ground gained by Group A that will knock them out.

Some numbers:

quote:

Of the forty-nine tanks shipped to the Somme, only thirty-two were able to begin the first attack in which they were used and only nine made it across "no man's land" to the German lines.
The more meaningful number here is that only 65% of the tanks committed to the assault, managed to actually take part. They didn't have no mans land to contend with and didn't have a long drive to get to where they needed to be.

@Cambrai
They committed 437 tanks to the assault. After the first day 71 had suffered mechanical failure and 43 had ditched. Not counting the 65 that were actually destroyed by the Germans.

And sure, if you have enough tanks and you could keep enough in reserve to have a Group B in position for the assault on Day Two. I don't think there is any capacity for Group C to even exist for Day Three. And you can of course recover tanks but not to be ready for action for Day Two or Three. Doing it this way, in waves, means you will lose so much offensive potential, just in driving tanks into position.

Much better to get as many tanks in position as possible on Day One, and get them fighting the Germans as much as possible, attacking on a broad front, and let them go for as long as possible. This is what they did, very bitey and holdy. No potential for any kind of mobile warfare.

EDIT:
All numbers from wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_War_I
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cambrai_(1917)

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Nazis conquered a lot of countries and set up a lot of regimes to keep people in place.

Not only that, but they kept kill claims vague in order to continuously change the narrative even after proven wrong.

I guess you could say they were puppet masters :grin:

Or maybe the Eastern Front was rigged, and the Germans was just doing some creative unskewing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gemuse posted:

Or maybe the Eastern Front was rigged, and the Germans was just doing some creative unskewing.

I know youre joking but I can't help but imagine someone somewhere thinks actually happened and Icant for the life of me come up with an answer to why.

Probably for the best, really. :psyduck:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was the strategic significance of the Khe Sanh combat base? Why was LBJ and Westmoreland even willing to consider the use of nuclear weapons just to protect this place?

Further to that, why was it evacuated a few weeks after the siege? I thought re-running Dien-Bien-Phu-and-this-time-winning what was what Westermoreland wanted.

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I know youre joking but I can't help but imagine someone somewhere thinks actually happened and Icant for the life of me come up with an answer to why.

Probably for the best, really. :psyduck:

Yeah, reading USPOL and this thread at the same time makes me supremely uncomfortable. :smith: At least it's not like the 30YW when everybody was Trump, except Richelieu, a man of Wealth and Taste, and Wallenstein, a man of Wealth and Mathemathical Computations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BattleMoose posted:

You can, but what they realized on D-Day was that the waves couldn't be too high:

quote:

Starting at about 0540, the 741st Tank Battalion put 29 DDs into the sea, but 27 of these sank, the remaining two made the long swim to the beach. Some of the crews of the sinking tanks managed to radio back and warn following units not to launch so far out. The remaining vehicles of the 741st Tank Battalion and all tanks of the 743rd Tank Battalion, (except for the four aboard one LCT that was hit by artillery fire just off the beach), were landed directly on the beach, starting at about 0640.

DD Tanks were designed to operate in waves up to 1 foot (0.3 m) high; however, on D-Day the waves were up to 6 ft (1.8 m) high. These were much worse conditions than the tanks had been tested in and hence they were swamped.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

After Operation Michael though, then you start to get tanks involved in mobile warfare again. Luckily by then the tanks involved had been specifically designed with mobile warfare in mind, which were both more reliable and a hell of a lot quicker. There's even stuff like the Amiens whippet, probably the first time a single roaming tank caused havoc after punching too far through German lines. Theres even a legend that it carried on after the capture of the crew, a story that crops up in the most surprising places...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How did early anti-tank warfare work? Did you see a big lumbering metal box and go "Fritz I bet you 10 marks I can hit that thing with our gun"?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

No, all the parts are there...at one point not all chapters had links on the bottom for all the other chapters, but I fix'd that.

Might be something wrong on my end, but this link doesn't take me to Part II, nor can I find it from the R100/R101 tag. v:shobon:v

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

How did early anti-tank warfare work? Did you see a big lumbering metal box and go "Fritz I bet you 10 marks I can hit that thing with our gun"?

Artillery firing at maximum depression, trench mortars, anti-tank rifles, hitting it repeatedly with machine gun fire because that armour spalls like a bastard, getting close to it and chucking grenades/flamethrower nozzles into vents and the always popular wait until it breaks or gets bogged down.

The germans developed anti tank bullets and rifles, starting with the reversed bullet that wouldnt shatter when hitting tank armour, then the heavy K bullet. After that they started issuing the Mauser anti tank rifle, which operated in the same way as a modern anti-materiel rifle. This was a significant improvement on the bullet strategy which ended up putting so much strain on rifles that they could explode when fired.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Wwi tank armour was very thin by wwii standards. When they first arrived they were a rude shock. Machine guns could make things unpleasant for the tank crews, causing small pieces of metal inside the tank to fly about and, hurt (?) the crew. Artillery was effective though and so were ant aircraft guns if available.

The germans quickly developed the k bullet, basically an armour piercing bullet that could be fired by the standard issue rifle, mauser. This could sometimes penetrate the armour of the earlier tanks. But armour/arms race and the mark iv had thicker armour and could resist it.

By 1918 the germans developed the first specialized antitank rifle, t-gewhr. Operated by a 2 man crew and very unpleasant to fire. On my phone atm but I think this thing fairly regularly broke collar bones and burst ear drums. Recoil. There is an awesome modern video of it being fired, will post later.

But due to the slow moving and predictable path of the tanks and that artillery was everywhere, it did a lot of the heavy work in knocking out and disabling tanks.

Also anti tank ditches.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
And up to date - not to self, don't let yourself get 2,000 post behind ever again....

Okay! Book recomendation time.

I've just finished "Europe's Tragedy" and am looking for something new.

After reading about how screwed up the armies were in the period, is there a good book on how they went from feudal levies to mercenaries? Or just on the mercs themselves?

From what I get (this is a new period of history for me) it was a transition from the smaller forces and feudal lead to a more industrial pay led scheme - basically in the Feudal system, you had to fight because your local lord would know if you didn't. In the later periods you fought for pay and for your country, but I guess this was a transition period where you pretty much fought for pay. Then it became cheaper to just hire mercenaries rather than maintain a trained army?

Many questions.

Otherwise anything good on the Huns/Goths and the "Barbarian" invasion of Europe/Rome?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought "bite-and-hold" was a strategy that was practiced before tanks became a thing.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grey Hunter posted:

From what I get (this is a new period of history for me) it was a transition from the smaller forces and feudal lead to a more industrial pay led scheme - basically in the Feudal system, you had to fight because your local lord would know if you didn't. In the later periods you fought for pay and for your country, but I guess this was a transition period where you pretty much fought for pay. Then it became cheaper to just hire mercenaries rather than maintain a trained army?

Roughly (very roughly, as we're talking about a period spanning hundreds of years and a geographical space spanning an entire continent), I'd prefer to think about the feudal system as one that relied on paid professionals as much as the following periods, just that the method of assembling them was different.

A French baron's lance would contain not only knights in his service, but also professional soldiers kept on retainer. The baron pays for them, not the king. And the levies didn't contain untrained peasants, in places and times where the peasants were expected to fight, they usually trained for it. Like the Anglo-Saxon fyrd. But in general, the peasants didn't concern themselves with fighting wars and that is not their job, the feudal compact exists because the liege lord promises to defend those under him.

Over the medieval period, you get more and more of the thing where the nobles pay the king money instead of fighting. The monarchs use this cash to hire professional soldiers. And when you get to the Early Modern, everyone has figured out that professional soldiers are the way to go.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sometimes goes the other way, too. The US Navy refused to believe the sinking of the Shinano by a submarine because they were sure that a super battleship midway into conversion into some unholy battleship-carrier thing didn't actually exist. Until the Japanese told the Americans yep, the Shinano was a thing and got torpedoed by a sub.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Sometimes goes the other way, too. The US Navy refused to believe the sinking of the Shinano by a submarine because they were sure that a super battleship midway into conversion into some unholy battleship-carrier thing didn't actually exist. Until the Japanese told the Americans yep, the Shinano was a thing and got torpedoed by a sub.

Wasn't there a case where the USN believed there was one other IJN carrier called the Asahi or something that didn't actually exist and was based off of a bad translation?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BattleMoose posted:

The idea of achieving mobile warfare and being able to supply it through the hellscape before the enemy fortified himself again, was not something that was achieved in WWI. I would argue it wasn't achievable given the technology of the time.

Possibly true for the Western front, but the Mideast and Eastern fronts were relatively mobile.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BattleMoose posted:

Wwi tank armour was very thin by wwii standards. When they first arrived they were a rude shock. Machine guns could make things unpleasant for the tank crews, causing small pieces of metal inside the tank to fly about and, hurt (?) the crew. Artillery was effective though and so were ant aircraft guns if available.

Spalling was a huge concern due to a) not great quality armor and b) no spall liners. Just check out spall masks or splatter masks, which undoubtedly helped prevent injury. However, it just makes being in the tank that much more unpleasant.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grey Hunter posted:

After reading about how screwed up the armies were in the period, is there a good book on how they went from feudal levies to mercenaries? Or just on the mercs themselves?
If you have access to a university library, Redlich's The German Military Enterpriser and his Work Force is the standard reference, but it's not a book, it's a special edition of some economics magazine from the 60s so it's hard to get outside the academic setting. Also anything by David Parrott, in this case probably The Business Of War.

The armies weren't screwed up though: they did the best they could with the logistical constraints at hand. We don't work a fraction as hard as these people did.

Edit: What we are talking about here works for every polity except France; their armies were under government control. For that see John Lynn, Giant of the Grand Siecle; David Parrott, Richelieu's Army. For the part where not having mercenaries was actually a bad idea, see David Parrott's "France's War against the Hapsburgs, 1624-1659: The Politics of Military Failure," in Guerra y Sociedad en La Monarquía Hispánica: Politica, Estrategia y Cultura en la Europa Moderna (1500-1700). Most of the last one is viewable on Google Books.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 27, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BattleMoose posted:

The germans quickly developed the k bullet, basically an armour piercing bullet that could be fired by the standard issue rifle, mauser. This could sometimes penetrate the armour of the earlier tanks. But armour/arms race and the mark iv had thicker armour and could resist it.

By 1918 the germans developed the first specialized antitank rifle, t-gewhr. Operated by a 2 man crew and very unpleasant to fire. On my phone atm but I think this thing fairly regularly broke collar bones and burst ear drums. Recoil. There is an awesome modern video of it being fired, will post later.

But due to the slow moving and predictable path of the tanks and that artillery was everywhere, it did a lot of the heavy work in knocking out and disabling tanks.

Also anti tank ditches.

These guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWeNNiG9YU

They have a bunch of videos on World War I weapons, including reviews of their ergonomics and accuracy.

I have a bunch of photos in the old thread that I can repost of a reproduction American WW1 trench. It's in the pristine state a freshly built trench would have been in, but it's a nice ground's eye view of a quality American trench.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Wow the quality of that post your questions history thread just dropped hilariously once more after Hitler was brought up.

When the sufferings of WW1 tank crews brought it it always reminds me of the crews on the first experimental Ironclad monitors as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cythereal posted:

Post war, the US Navy had a hell of a lot of surprises waiting for them.

"Yeah, we had a heavy cruiser explode and sink while at anchor, we're not hiding it. No that actually is how big the Yamato and the Musashi were; I know, right? That cabinet? Oh, that's our files on these these destroyer-sized submarine aircraft carriers we built to attack the Panama canal."

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Might be something wrong on my end, but this link doesn't take me to Part II, nor can I find it from the R100/R101 tag. v:shobon:v

Goddamnit...

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

No that actually is how big the Yamato and the Musashi were; I know, right?

Considering that the US Navy had sunk those two, why would they be surprised by their size post-war? Had they somehow forgotten?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hard to get a scale reference. It took them forever to realize those were 460mms not 406mms.

Umm, the Mutsu was the second Nagato class BB, the best non-Yamato BBs they had.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BattleMoose posted:

By 1918 the germans developed the first specialized antitank rifle, t-gewhr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko9A3ZbN8ZU

British equivalent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOnhPtqj3Jo

For comparison, a bigger AT gun that was developed a bit later by the Finns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qHv_XEAZg

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grey Hunter posted:

Otherwise anything good on the Huns/Goths and the "Barbarian" invasion of Europe/Rome?
My go to on this is Geary's Before France and Germany: the creation and transformation of the Merovingian world. It focuses more on how the post Roman world developed but by necessity includes some excellent work on late Rome and its relationships with peoples on its frontiers.

I'm a big fan of how he describes the changes on the frontiers as a two way street of latinizing Germanic tribes and Germanizing Roman practices.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Comstar posted:

Further to that, why was it evacuated a few weeks after the siege? I thought re-running Dien-Bien-Phu-and-this-time-winning what was what Westermoreland wanted.

Good question, I'd like the know as well. My understanding is that it was LBJs call but I don't know why. I believe several advisors recommended staying, because it had pinned a large number of NVA in place. I also believe the Marines felt they were doing fine and were upset when told to withdraw.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

My go to on this is Geary's Before France and Germany: the creation and transformation of the Merovingian world. It focuses more on how the post Roman world developed but by necessity includes some excellent work on late Rome and its relationships with peoples on its frontiers.

I'm a big fan of how he describes the changes on the frontiers as a two way street of latinizing Germanic tribes and Germanizing Roman practices.

I quite liked Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, how do they compare, do they even overlap (describing the frontiers like that is definitely common ground)?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SeanBeansShako posted:

that post your questions history thread

link?

xthetenth posted:

I quite liked Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West

:same:

It's not the easiest read, as it's basically a text book (and priced to match), but it's quite good. Found myself having to take notes to remember who all the people involved were, and the ethnogenesis stuff was pretty dry, if ultimately fascinating.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 27, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Turns out, it was an assault of 5.5 tanks. That lone half-tank barely got away.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xthetenth posted:

I quite liked Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, how do they compare, do they even overlap (describing the frontiers like that is definitely common ground)?

Haven't read it.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Those are exactly the guys. Skip to 18:10 for fun times. There is a nice discussion at the end with regard to firing it standing and firing it prone.

Speaking of which, what do people think about this channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TheGreatWar

Its got a tonne of good detail but there is a lot about them that seriously grate me the wrong way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What channel is that? Links acting wonky for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

It's the post your fun history facts thread, I left when a bunch of poo poo posters were pretty much poo poo posting.