Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

PittTheElder posted:

The problem is that nobody does, because it's a difficult thing to study. What little research does exist suggests that tax increases induce extremely limited migration (even in jurisdictions with very porous borders, ie. the American states), and that migration is concentrated to the top 1% of the investor class. And those are the same people who have little trouble investing abroad, and as we've seen, sheltering any profits overseas so as to be effectively immune from taxation anyway. So it's possible that there's no real loss at all.

Post-war America had a tax rate of 91% on income over $200,000 ($2.4M USD2015), and they got on just fine. Rates for top earners remained at or above 70% until 1982.

Plus, we've done things to explicitly make this kind of movement easier, like sign on to nafta. It's concern trolling by the upper class at its finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

You don't think there are skilled workers making $100K?

A few, and a bit more than 100K, but they're incredibly rare. They're an outlier. Bringing them up and acting like like raising income taxes on incomes above a hundred thousand dollars a year is stabbing normal trades people back is incredibly dishonest.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Flat taxes are the dumbest thing, btw

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

You don't think there are skilled workers making $100K?

ITT, that is King of Brunei money.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm glad you think it's funny that an income that only 14% of Canadians manage to earn and is more than double what 50% of all Canadians earn would be seen as a large sum of money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Because "1 in 8" really isn't that rare. It's a lot of money, yes, but not insanely so.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Open a subway yourself and eat fresh EvilJoven

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

A few, and a bit more than 100K, but they're incredibly rare. They're an outlier. Bringing them up and acting like like raising income taxes on incomes above a hundred thousand dollars a year is stabbing normal trades people back is incredibly dishonest.

Its not incredibly rare at all. Nearly all workers paid a fair wage and protected by a union (whether police,fire,ambulance,TTC,city workers, etc)or in a skilled trade (plumber,electrician) or a professional (doctor,lawyer,etc) with some overtime can go from 60-80k to 100k pretax. It is not a rich wage these day at all. Especially when you consider the cost of housing anywhere near a major city these days. Its not the 80s or early 90s where most full timers are paid 30k and houses are 200k. Its 2016 where the average single family house in GTA is 750k. And bad townhouses are 450k. Yet minimum wage is still 20k.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

patonthebach posted:

Its not incredibly rare at all. Nearly all workers paid a fair wage and protected by a union (whether police,fire,ambulance,TTC,city workers, etc)or in a skilled trade (plumber,electrician) or a professional (doctor,lawyer,etc) with some overtime can go from 60-80k to 100k pretax. It is not a rich wage these day at all. Especially when you consider the cost of housing anywhere near a major city these days. Its not the 80s or early 90s where most full timers are paid 30k and houses are 200k. Its 2016 where the average single family house in GTA is 750k. And bad townhouses are 450k. Yet minimum wage is still 20k.

Tons of 100k jobs out there

http://www.ontariosunshinelist.com/positions/yjzxn

http://www.ontariosunshinelist.com/positions/dzwry

http://www.ontariosunshinelist.com/positions/rbhyv

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

patonthebach posted:

100k is more than enough to live comfortably while still paying more in taxes. Maybe increasing taxes would cause our pants on head stupid country to learn a little personal finance and budgeting instead of buying a new F150 every other year to take the new boat up to the cottage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Do you guys know what a biweekly net of a 100k salary even yields?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

Do you guys know what a biweekly net of a 100k salary even yields?

You think anyone that posts here earns that kind of money? Did you spend your whole probation drinking?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lmao

enjoy your retirement assholes

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Yup there are a ton of them. (and thats a good thing!)

Showing 1 to 100 of 892,679 entries

And thats just public sector!

http://www.sunshinelist.ca/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

I'm glad you think it's funny that an income that only 14% of Canadians manage to earn and is more than double what 50% of all Canadians earn would be seen as a large sum of money.

I'm glad too because it's silly and counterproductive to try to attack people who still exist within your economic reality when there are people who are making more money than thousands of you combined. It's shortsighted and crab-buckety as hell.

That guy makes three times!!!!! what I do! He is the problem, clearly, and not the people pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

100k is more than enough to live comfortably while still paying more in taxes. Maybe increasing taxes would cause our pants on head stupid country to learn a little personal finance and budgeting instead of buying a new F150 every other year to take the new boat up to the cottage.
100k isn't boat, new truck, cottage money these days. It lots of cities (Vancouver/Toronto/Victoria) it's maybe you can afford a house money.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The 0.1% hold as much wealth as the bottom 90%, but, no, let's go after the doctor or the engineer or the business owner because I have to walk past that rear end in a top hat's fancy car every single day. This totally at all isn't exactly what the 0.1% hope we'll end up wasting our energies over. They're so far up in the stratosphere that they're invisible to all the pavement-gazing assholes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
look at you bitch rear end motherfuckers talking about salaries as if they had any effect on wealth whatsoever

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brannock posted:

The 0.1% hold as much wealth as the bottom 90%, but, no, let's go after the doctor or the engineer or the business owner because I have to walk past that rear end in a top hat's fancy car every single day. This totally at all isn't exactly what the 0.1% hope we'll end up wasting our energies over. They're so far up in the stratosphere that they're invisible to all the pavement-gazing assholes.

Are you being willfully dense? They wanted to add more tax brackets so that the increases are spread out better. 100k earners wouldnt spike to 80%, theyd probably see something like 4-8% increases. If that is enough to make them leave then gently caress em.

Trapick posted:

100k isn't boat, new truck, cottage money these days. It lots of cities (Vancouver/Toronto/Victoria) it's maybe you can afford a house money.

You should go read the debt bubble thread. CI has posted some amazing stories.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Are you being willfully dense? They wanted to add more tax brackets so that the increases are spread out better. 100k earners wouldnt spike to 80%, theyd probably see something like 4-8% increases. If that is enough to make them leave then gently caress em.
I think he's talking about eviljovens posting.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

namaste faggots posted:

look at you bitch rear end motherfuckers talking about salaries as if they had any effect on wealth whatsoever

yeah, the real wealth comes from betting it all on red [unironically this, but with the stock market]

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
are you loving kidding me

no self respecting canadian bets on securities they bet on housing RETARD

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Double the personal exemption, raise all the brackets by 5%, add a 400k+ bracket at 50% and give the CRA more authority and more funding to catch evaders.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Furnaceface posted:

You think anyone that posts here earns that kind of money? Did you spend your whole probation drinking?

Yes, some people that post here earn that kind of money.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Furnaceface posted:

Why go after the middle class when they will either cut spending or go further into debt?

Make new tax brackets for people earning over 500k a year. Not 100k

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Taxes start at 0% and go up 1% for every $10,000 you make, topping out at 90% on incomes over $900,000.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you think high earners are going to bother staying in canada lol

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Brannock posted:

The business owner is basically just a less succesful version of the 0.1%, also a lot of small business owners very actively contribute to why Canadian labor laws are lagging significantly behind much of the world, so they're really not anywhere near the same category as engineers or doctors, even if they make similar amounts of money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

you think high earners are going to bother staying in canada lol

they will cause high earning canadians are lazy and stupid

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you guys should search linkedin for the number of doctors in vancouver. then search linkedin for the number of event planners in vancouver

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Do you think we're all polisci majors that sip PSL talking to our humanities major friends about the dearth of jobs? Are you serious?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
guys donald trump will win because x) y) z) bloop bloop bloop

whoa whoa whoa standard devia-what

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Do you think we're all polisci majors that sip PSL talking to our humanities major friends about the dearth of jobs? Are you serious?

Not at all. I assume most of you work at Hootsuite for the culture.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I wouldn't live in Vancouver for double my salary. CI how do you even get out of bed knowing all your money is being transferred to wealthy boomers?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm surprised you dumb assholes can't seem to add up that i'm a raging shithead precisely because i make more than most 1% boomers yet live like a loving prole because i'm not a loving idiot

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Is there a wechat for chinese swap meets in YVR?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If you ever upgrade to a SFH you will directly benefit some decrepit boomer, remember these words

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

vyelkin posted:

Taxes start at 0% and go up 1% for every $10,000 you make, topping out at 90% on incomes over $900,000.

I like it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Regina municipal elections wrapped up tonight with a healthy 20% voter turnout. The son of a retiring councillor won his ward with 26% of the vote. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
oh yea everyone totally cares about regina