Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok continuing my england game, Spain united, they have all of Aragon and naples, Portugal has eaten half of Marocco and they are storming south and central America.

Portugal also managed to snag cape from under my nose, they own all of the Caraibes besides lesser Antilles which are mine. They're now expanding into Mexico, my war with france left me a continental superpower but a little behind on colonization (only just founded the thirteen colonies, grabbed almost all of the gold coast in Africa, and starting on Canada now)

I am allied to both Spain and Portugal but I guess I should start taking steps to reduce their Colonial influence. How do I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NihilCredo posted:

A development map that uses the R, G and B channels to separately indicate military, production and administrative development :2bong:

I love this conceptually but I feel like it's not going to work all that well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TorakFade posted:

Ok continuing my england game, Spain united, they have all of Aragon and naples, Portugal has eaten half of Marocco and they are storming south and central America.

Portugal also managed to snag cape from under my nose, they own all of the Caraibes besides lesser Antilles which are mine. They're now expanding into Mexico, my war with france left me a continental superpower but a little behind on colonization (only just founded the thirteen colonies, grabbed almost all of the gold coast in Africa, and starting on Canada now)

I am allied to both Spain and Portugal but I guess I should start taking steps to reduce their Colonial influence. How do I do that?

Beat them in wars, take their poo poo.

Or take Exploration and Expansion and just spam colonies like a motherfucker, which will at least let you catch up in a relative sense.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

It's actually easier to conquer colonial land than it is to colonize it yourself, start building up large fleets of heavy ships, transports, and armies to attack the Iberians. When you're in a good position, declare a colonial war, occupy their colonies and use your naval supremacy to run up the warscore clock while they can't touch you on your island. Prioritize important trade power provinces, you might also be able to take Cape from Portugal and block them off from further expansion into Asia.

Basically just whack them with a Colonial conquest CB.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

Beat them in wars, take their poo poo.

Or take Exploration and Expansion and just spam colonies like a motherfucker, which will at least let you catch up in a relative sense.

Since they're my allies my cunning plan is to drag them into yet another war with france to feed my gascony vassal some more, have them grind away their armies against the french then betray them and steal their poo poo. Only problem is they're too strong on the sea to take them out.

Maybe I should just let them do their thing, North America is basically mine (norway is trying to colonize there but they won't beat me at this rate, I have full exploration and expansion and much more cash than them to keep my 3 colonists busy) and so is the gold coast. If I understand trading correctly all trade from cape will flow there and I am sucking it towards english channel.

And wipe loving france off the map with their help

Edit: upgrading my starting fleet of 7 heavy ship, 11 light and 22 transports costs 800 ducats :stare: gently caress that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My problem with the "colour wasteland provinces according the nation that owns most of the neighbouring provinces" thing is that clicking that wasteland doesn't bring up the diplomacy screen for the nation in question, in fact you can't click it at all

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, I don't think I really understand the institutions. It spawns somewhere and eventually you will get to embrace it. Clear enough. How do the old tech groups work? If you're in the Muslim or Chinese or Eastern Tech groups you're just permanently hosed with units that have poo poo pips?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You haven't been able to change unit groups for like a year or more now. Pips were balanced at the same time, for the most part.

TorakFade posted:

Since they're my allies my cunning plan is to drag them into yet another war with france to feed my gascony vassal some more, have them grind away their armies against the french then betray them and steal their poo poo. Only problem is they're too strong on the sea to take them out.

Maybe I should just let them do their thing, North America is basically mine (norway is trying to colonize there but they won't beat me at this rate, I have full exploration and expansion and much more cash than them to keep my 3 colonists busy) and so is the gold coast. If I understand trading correctly all trade from cape will flow there and I am sucking it towards english channel.

And wipe loving france off the map with their help

Edit: upgrading my starting fleet of 7 heavy ship, 11 light and 22 transports costs 800 ducats :stare: gently caress that

You're England. Beating them on the sea should not be a problem. 800 ducats is not so much for an England that has mostly eaten France.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

You haven't been able to change unit groups for like a year or more now. Pips were balanced at the same time, for the most part.

Western ends up being the best at the end of the tech, but it's only off by a couple pips, and at the start and in the middle the best tech group varies.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The terrain map looks like garbage in addition to being completely useless so I hope I can disable this "improvement"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

You're England. Beating them on the sea should not be a problem. 800 ducats is not so much for an England that has mostly eaten France.

Stomping france under the boots of 30 thousand mercs ain't cheap, I have been running 5-6 loans non stop for the last hundred years :v: also I suck at this game, too.

it's 1550 now and I am still not that rich, currently spending a ton on colonization but once all that juicy trade comes in I am going to build dozens of ships and sing britannia rules the waves damnit

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Debase your currency or something to pay those loans off, having a lot of long-term loans like, really fucks your income up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

Stomping france under the boots of 30 thousand mercs ain't cheap, I have been running 5-6 loans non stop for the last hundred years :v: also I suck at this game, too.

it's 1550 now and I am still not that rich, currently spending a ton on colonization but once all that juicy trade comes in I am going to build dozens of ships and sing britannia rules the waves damnit

beat up some natives and take all their money

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

beat up some natives and take all their money

I did this in my Russia game. Took a bunch of loans to embrace a couple institutions and build Manufactories, then wound up 10k ducats in debt, and went after a bunch of Chinese minors that had all accumulated thousands of ducats for no reason by starting wars with loads of co-belligerents.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I did this in my Russia game. Took a bunch of loans to embrace a couple institutions and build Manufactories, then wound up 10k ducats in debt, and went after a bunch of Chinese minors that had all accumulated thousands of ducats for no reason by starting wars with loads of co-belligerents.

Yeah, I'm assuming the old trick of "punch Native American nations for tons of easy cash" still works, haven't done a New World focused game in a couple patches.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well I think they changed something so the American natives don't hoard gold like dragons, but plenty of Eurasian countries will still doing so in my game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Well I think they changed something so the American natives don't hoard gold like dragons, but plenty of Eurasian countries will still doing so in my game.

Ledger -> Country -> Country -> sort by Treasury will let you know who's sitting on a mountain of cash

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

A development map that uses the R, G and B channels to separately indicate military, production and administrative development :2bong:

NATO counters for development. Don't ask how, just do it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Ledger -> Country -> Country -> sort by Treasury will let you know who's sitting on a mountain of cash

Yup. The Ledger is your best friend.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

To be clear, this was 100% my experience of the problem. I had like a few megabytes left on my SSD and was trying to store new save files there. It's not about what you installed the game, but where you're keeping the save files (which are two different things).

FYI SSD speeds tank when you fill them like that

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

To be clear, this was 100% my experience of the problem. I had like a few megabytes left on my SSD and was trying to store new save files there. It's not about what you installed the game, but where you're keeping the save files (which are two different things).

I bit the bullet and posted about this on the official forums. They already know about it.

Unrelatedly, The Hunt For Seven Cities event chain thing is fun. So far I've failed every step of the way, but man are the little event blurbs entertaining to read.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Realized with horror in my Korea game that 1500 was coming up, grabbed Kamchatka and frantically cored it, hurled an explorer at Alaska,

and founded Colonialism the month after, in the mighty metropolis of Sakhalin.

"Hooray, we have discovered a whole new frozen shithole to exploit across the sea!" :toot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Ok, I don't think I really understand the institutions. It spawns somewhere and eventually you will get to embrace it. Clear enough. How do the old tech groups work? If you're in the Muslim or Chinese or Eastern Tech groups you're just permanently hosed with units that have poo poo pips?

All tech group units have the same number of pips at the same tech level, so the only way to get hosed is to lag behind in mil tech.

Also, the game is still putting my weakest units on the front line in battle. Why hasn't this been fixed yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Which factors actually influence where an institution spawns? I know a couple, eg that Colonization hinges on having a colony, but does the chance just get divided between all colonial nations or what? And what about the others?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yup. The Ledger is your best friend.

The Ledger is what makes me go from a terrible player to a mediocre one.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

All tech group units have the same number of pips at the same tech level, so the only way to get hosed is to lag behind in mil tech.

This isn't the case. Unit pips vary by tech group, usually by only 1-2, but there are variances when certain tech groups get upgraded units and so on. For an example of a large difference, Indian starting cavalry has 3 pips, and nomad starting cavalry has 6.

I can't speak to how accurate the wiki currently is, but it's certainly the case that there are differences.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_units

edit: This part here has a good summary if you don't want to skim all the tables:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_units#Best_unit_group_by_tech_level

Mister Adequate posted:

Which factors actually influence where an institution spawns? I know a couple, eg that Colonization hinges on having a colony, but does the chance just get divided between all colonial nations or what? And what about the others?

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Institutions

This has most of the relevant information, except for the percentage chance for colonialism spawning, but it does list all the conditions required for each institution.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Has anyone else tried the institutions unlocked mod? I think it makes spread a little bit too fast but I appreciate the fact renaissance and printing press can spawn outside of Europe(In my current game renissance spawned in hungary of all places).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780337760&searchtext=institutions+

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zombiepop posted:

The Ledger is what makes me go from a terrible player to a mediocre one.

The one thing I wish the game would give me would be the relative strength of alliances when considering a DoW though. Normally it's easy, but once or twice (League War, looking in your direction) I've actually ran through the list of combatants, drawing up totals, to see just what things are really like.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

The one thing I wish the game would give me would be the relative strength of alliances when considering a DoW though. Normally it's easy, but once or twice (League War, looking in your direction) I've actually ran through the list of combatants, drawing up totals, to see just what things are really like.

Yeah, that's a great idea. It tells you when you're at war what the totals are (though this hasn't seemed accurate lately?), so it would be nice to see beforehand.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They added a new line on the war info screen that shows casualties, and that's in the place of where strength used to be maybe? Certainly confused me the first few times I looked.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

They added a new line on the war info screen that shows casualties, and that's in the place of where strength used to be maybe? Certainly confused me the first few times I looked.

Ok, that actually flashed in my brain as I was typing that. That's what it was.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Manpower totals for each side on the war info screen would be helpful as well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm not sure how condettieri show up either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

While we're on the subject of things we want, I'd really love to be able to designate a province to be automatically developed if I hit the monarch point cap.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tsyni posted:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Institutions

This has most of the relevant information, except for the percentage chance for colonialism spawning, but it does list all the conditions required for each institution.

Oh cool, thanks, I should have thought to check there. :downs:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'd love a popup saying "hey dingus, enemies have entered your territory in province x." When a war is going well, my focus isn't at home, and I always seem to end up with a little enemy stack sneaking around that I don't notice until I see "we've lost a siege in X."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I'd love a popup saying "hey dingus, enemies have entered your territory in province x." When a war is going well, my focus isn't at home, and I always seem to end up with a little enemy stack sneaking around that I don't notice until I see "we've lost a siege in X."

Maybe an enemy army is approaching and a battle will start in x days too. It would be helpful when you're fighting a war on two fronts and have your forces sieging in two different areas.

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I want this and I want them to fix the one for when you are attacked by an enemy for when you are sieging. Because you are viewed as the attacker in those fights, it doesn't set off the 'when attacked' event. That was a hard lesson to learn while trying to take some of Switzerland's mountain forts while also fighting Poland.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

PittTheElder posted:

Wait wait wait you can UPGRADE ships now? When did that happen? I just played two full grand campaigns and every time I had this tedious task of slowly decommissioning my old fleet and replacing it with a shiny new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wait wait wait you can UPGRADE ships now? When did that happen? I just played two full grand campaigns and every time I had this tedious task of slowly decommissioning my old fleet and replacing it with a shiny new one.

...6months ago, maybe? It's been a while

• Locked thread