Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do you need to use the citizen slots on districts to generate Great Person points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do you need to use the citizen slots on districts to generate Great Person points?

No.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Look if they don't know how to deal with overflow then it must means it is simply not an easy problem to solve, no one has solved it before, it just can't be done

Agreed. You have to realize that math is not a solved problem. It's HARD! I mean how can you expect a mere computer game to do poo poo like discard remainders? Or understand Boolean expressions, let alone exponential decay!

I'm afraid civ6 is the best we can do in all aspects of game mechanics or computer "ai".

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why are you frantically clicking on all your units. Just wait a milisecond for the autocycle to go through them for you. :shrug:

It's more like a full second.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

It's more like a full second.

1.1 seconds if the tool tips are any indication.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powercrazy posted:

Agreed. You have to realize that math is not a solved problem. It's HARD! I mean how can you expect a mere computer game to do poo poo like discard remainders? Or understand Boolean expressions, let alone exponential decay!

I'm afraid civ6 is the best we can do in all aspects of game mechanics or computer "ai".

And the beat goes on.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I denounce Powercrazy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Efexeye posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhh 4 shows that they are capable of making at least incremental improvements

very little of the Civ IV team has carried over to V/BE/VI

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've now spent 2 missionaries (4 charges) trying to convert Toronto, which is very near by holy city. It's only got a population of 3, and no majority religion, so they have to have at least 2 citizens available for conversion. Why won't these heathens accept the light of allah into their hearts?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Scythia's bonuses are way too good. How did the designers settle on the combo of buy one get one free cavalry and health drain on kill?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

very little of the Civ IV team has carried over to V/BE/VI

It shows!

Anyway here are two poignant quotes from the civilization series:

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
–Scott Adams

Also maybe sometime in the far future the ability to rename cities will be discovered, alas the technique was lost.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 27, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

scrubs season six posted:

And the beat goes on.

No one has been able to come up with a new joke because it's not an easy problem to solve. It just can't be done with the resources we have.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
For real though as someone who has played every game since 2, 5 and 6 have regressed the overall game mechanics for me and that's a bummer. The mechanics in 4 were just really solid and I don't know why they wouldn't just go deeper into those and leave the fundamental economic stuff alone.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
so what is america's deal anyway?

i gravitate towards civs that you can look at the abilities of and say "yeah that's a military victory" or "yeah that's a science victory" but there's a lot of civs in this one that i just can't figure out. i've only played about 50 turns of an america game, but what victory are they supposed to be going for? culture?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

quadrophrenic posted:

so what is america's deal anyway?

i gravitate towards civs that you can look at the abilities of and say "yeah that's a military victory" or "yeah that's a science victory" but there's a lot of civs in this one that i just can't figure out. i've only played about 50 turns of an america game, but what victory are they supposed to be going for? culture?

I think they're leaning Culture/Military, basically. Partiularly Culture, between Teddy's park bonus and the Film Studio.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
America gets the Film Studio which is a loving insane +100% tourism and culture bonus for killing units with the Rough Rider unit on home continent. Pretty clearly culture victory focused.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Spakstik posted:

I turned off barbarians in my latest game because having to deal with them well into the industrial age is obnoxious, doubly so without the sentry command. I was also a little sick of them wiping out multiple civs that I hadn't met, insuring I'd be seeing the same four yokels for the remainder of my game. I haven't tested it extensively, but the computer players seem to be doing much better without having to worry about barbarians. Fewer comatose players, and some doing things that I hadn't seen in previous matches--Scythia and Egypt went hog wild conquering city states.

After this game, I'm seriously considering turning it off. There's nothing more annoying than a loving barbarian camp spawning in a single fog-of-war tile between all of my cities when I'm in the modern era. I seriously have tanks and jets in the 1980s, and they're running at me with horsemen and crossbowmen. The beginning of the game is great because they're a serious threat and free xp for my guys, but now I'm just running cleanup with non-sleeping roving patrols over my continent. Or just fortifying random units to remove the fog-of-war so they won't spawn.

Another issue I've been having is how the maps are being created. I've only played three games so far, and every time I choose the continent maps, one of the continents connects to the top and bottom of the map rendering my navy essentially useless for the other side of the map. I have to create cities on both sides of my continent just to have a naval presence in both oceans that don't connect.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, America is definitely late-game tourism. It really feels like Tourism is the game's preferred victory type since no one gets an out-and-out bonus to science.

Also I'm loving the customization on the game's units. Egyptian swordsmen had scimitars and hide shields. Aztec swordsmen are Jaguar Warriors pimped out with feather-covered shields, capes and traded their obsidian-edged clubs for basket rapiers.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Firaxis found the perfect solution to infinite city spam by getting rid of sentry mode, and implementing non-refreshable trade routes and counter spying. It's simply too tedious with that much busywork.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, America is definitely late-game tourism. It really feels like Tourism is the game's preferred victory type since no one gets an out-and-out bonus to science.

This was one of the most bizarre things to me about the entire game. There's no civ with a bonus to science, but plenty with religious, military, production, and culture/tourism.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This was one of the most bizarre things to me about the entire game. There's no civ with a bonus to science, but plenty with religious, military, production, and culture/tourism.

Gilgamesh gets Ziggurats? But yeah, not a single science focused civ, but about half feel culture-focused when culture is basically a second tech-tree.

Then again that might be partially to really rub in the idea that culture is exactly that now: a second tech tree.

Away all Goats posted:

Firaxis found the perfect solution to infinite city spam by getting rid of sentry mode, and implementing non-refreshable trade routes and counter spying. It's simply too tedious with that much busywork.

UGGH! Why are all the projects "build x points out of y production" which finishes and then has to be refreshed? For fucks sake, I'm in "mash turn button end game phase", let me set my cities to infinitely churn production into gold/beakers/notes/angel wings. And yeah, losing sentry is the worst thing. Especially when mixed with the "barbarian found" noise. Okay, did my caravel or explorer run into more barbarians or did a camp spawn somewhere annoying that I have to pixel-hunt for?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, China and Arabia have bonuses; China gets the bigger Eureka bonuses, while Arabia gets better Universities, Science for converting people to your religion, and, if you actually build your religious buildings, +10% to Science (and Faith and Culture) in every city, which is pretty sizable.

The issue with going to space is the production cost, not the science. It's hard to make those rockets, but, at least as Arabia, easy to research them; I was researching Mars tech while my first rocket was still building.

We're probably going to get a civ with a unique Campus eventually, though, for something that's really Science-focused. Korea, maybe? We'll see I guess.

Alkydere posted:

Also I'm loving the customization on the game's units. Egyptian swordsmen had scimitars and hide shields. Aztec swordsmen are Jaguar Warriors pimped out with feather-covered shields, capes and traded their obsidian-edged clubs for basket rapiers.

Yeah, the different unit appearances are really nice. They put a lot of effort into the art and stuff here.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

So, uh, Kongo is kind of insanely good, as I'm realizing in my current game. So you get 2 Food/2 Prod/4 Gold per Relic (meh, who cares), Sculpture(ok), and Artifacts (wait...). What it doesn't tell you is that the Theming bonus also applies to those yields, not just the Culture/Tourism. So a themed Archeological Museum is giving my city +12 Food/+12 Prod/+24 Gold in addition to the 18 Culture/Tourism. Like, poo poo man. Archeology all over the place.

And you get double Writer/Artist/Music/Merchant points, so it's not really a contest to get those Great People. And the Mbanza is crazy good too. You get it pretty early, its +5 housing, it's super cheap cause its unique, and you get +2 Food/+4 Gold from it, as long as you can find a spare Woods or Rainforest. Cheaper and better than Aqueducts, so I was fine settling zero-water locations in the mid-game. Their UU isn't fantastic, but it's cheap and resource-less.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 27, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Impermanent posted:

No one has been able to come up with a new joke because it's not an easy problem to solve. It just can't be done with the resources we have.

:lol: :golfclap:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

Wonders on tiles is awesome. It prevents the rush for the exact same wonder in every single game because only a certain percentage of civs will have the ability to build it because of tile restrictions.

what the gently caress

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

restricting wonders to certain civs based on completely random map gen is awesome because... ?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Geight posted:

Here's question: If I want to place a district over a forest, does clearing the forest have the same effect as chopping it, and if not, what would be a good way to ensure that the chop actually gets used somehow?

No, simply placing a district doesn't get you the production boost. To do that you have to specifically use a builder charge on the chop.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Impermanent posted:

There's no other victory type where you would be focused on building wonders at that phase of the game, though. For domination obviously you would want to be building units / nukes. For science you're putting spaceport districts up and making GBS threads satellites. If you haven't won via religion at this point you've transitioned to a different victory condition. By the time you're in the late-game any time spent building a wonder for a non-cultural victory is completely wasted, and would be unless that wonder were game-changingly powerful, at which point that wonder winds up being mandatory for that victory, which shuts out players from pursuing those other tactics. Culture has so many wonders for it because it's a given that cultural victory focused players will be competing for them / sniping each other for them. For the other victories they would be distractions.

Do you not remember the Space Elevator, Pentagon, Three Gorges Dam, Kremlin, and other such wonders in Sid Meier's Civilization IV?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

restricting wonders to certain civs based on completely random map gen is awesome because... ?

It makes every game different instead of 100% of all games acting out in the exact same way. The game is about adjusting your strategy to your environment now instead of always having to build X wonder if you play as Y civilization. In the old way, the completely random map generation didn't matter, which made completely random map generation pretty pointless.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Seashell Salesman posted:

For real though as someone who has played every game since 2, 5 and 6 have regressed the overall game mechanics for me and that's a bummer. The mechanics in 4 were just really solid and I don't know why they wouldn't just go deeper into those and leave the fundamental economic stuff alone.

4 still had the stack of doom, right?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Borsche69 posted:

Well, past games already had that with Petra and such, but it's not actually that bad here; outside of a few wonders needing, say, desert or rainforest, nearly every wonder requires you to plan ahead to build it rather than getting lucky with spawning. Even some of the ones that do need geographical features aren't that bad; a hill next to a mountain for Potala Palace isn't exactly an uncommon feature, just make sure you don't put other districts on top of said hills beforehand. The only ones where spawn luck really matters are Stonehenge (which requires a source of stone) and maybe the Pyamids (need desert).

Also, generally speaking, wonders are a lot less game-changing this time around.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

scrubs season six posted:

4 still had the stack of doom, right?

yes

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

America gets the Film Studio which is a loving insane +100% tourism and culture bonus for killing units with the Rough Rider unit on home continent. Pretty clearly culture victory focused.

Yup, I think the strategy is to wipe out a Civ or two on your continent early and then just play for culture the rest of the way out. The home continent combat strength bonus makes defending a little easier.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Niwrad posted:

Yup, I think the strategy is to wipe out a Civ or two on your continent early and then just play for culture the rest of the way out. The home continent combat strength bonus makes defending a little easier.

A very American strategy.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

It makes every game different instead of 100% of all games acting out in the exact same way. The game is about adjusting your strategy to your environment now instead of always having to build X wonder if you play as Y civilization. In the old way, the completely random map generation didn't matter, which made completely random map generation pretty pointless.

if the same wonders are getting beelined every game, thats a fault of balance, not restriction. the solution is to balance the op wonders, rather than isolated them to those lucky enough to get the opportunity to build them. this is just common sense

think back to civ3 conquests. a wonder was introduced (statue of zeus) that had the ability where itd spawn a very powerful unit every 10 or so turns. it was a cheap wonder, so the units spawned easily paid back the cost of hammers invested.

the wonder required ivory to build. in civ3, luxuries were often clumped, so even if there wete multiple copies, most of the time only one civ would have ownership. this meant, by the luck of the draw, only a couple civs would have access to an insanely powerful wonder. no competition. its as broken as youd expect

nothing in this game is like that, but the entite philosophy that "the map forces ypu into a certain wonder" is as flawed as "you play this civ so you always need this wonder" your strategy should be the one dictating things. the map should play a role but it shouldnt really force anything

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Borsche69 posted:

nothing in this game is like that, but the entite philosophy that "the map forces ypu into a certain wonder" is as flawed as "you play this civ so you always need this wonder" your strategy should be the one dictating things. the map should play a role but it shouldnt really force anything

Why? What's the flaw?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
You seem pretty angry with having to adapt and not being able to beeline a lot of poo poo. It'd be very boring if every single player spawned on a 15x15 continent with every single resource and wonder available.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're not "forced" into any wonder, by the map or otherwise, because wonders aren't that necessary this time around. The early ones are particularly weak; they're nice to have, but you can live without them.

And again, it's more planning around your geography and considering where to place your disticts and such that's needed to build most wonders, not getting lucky with your terrain; the only ones that aren't Petra-like boosts to specific, normally-lovely terrain that require a specific resource or biome (that isn't everywhere like grasslands) are Stonehenge (needs stone), the Pyramids (needs a desert), and Mont Saint Michael (needs march or floodplains, which are pretty common really). Outside of that, while one might require something like being built on a hill, or next to both a river and a certain district, all those features are common and you should be able to build them pretty much anywhere as long as you don't gently caress things up for yourself by doing something like placing your districts in the wrong places first.

The problem you're going on about here doesn't exist, unless you want to be able to build Stongehenge every game I guess. But the AI will probably beeline it if they can anyway so good luck with that.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm playing Kongo. It takes like 290 gold to buy a Ngao Mbeba. It takes 175 gold to buy a warrior and upgrade it to a Ngao Mbeba. What.

Also, now that I have the cheaper upgrade policy, I can buy a warrior every turn, then upgrade and sell it the next turn at a profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

I'm playing Kongo. It takes like 290 gold to buy a Ngao Mbeba. It takes 175 gold to buy a warrior and upgrade it to a Ngao Mbeba. What.

Also, now that I have the cheaper upgrade policy, I can buy a warrior every turn, then upgrade and sell it the next turn at a profit.

Military industrial complex subsidies at work, seems fine imo