Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

Can't you still just bomb the skimmers from a safe altitude with dumbfires? Don't even need an SRV. That's how I started my imperial grind, bombing skimmers in my jump range fit hauler. :v:

Skimmers won't spawn unless you actually land your ship on the surface.

If the base has point defence turrets your dumbfires won't hit anything either so I hope you packed an SRV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I haven't logged in since uh May and haven't seriously played even longer than that

Wouldn't happen to be any info for returning players anywhere would there be?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Supposedly, the training has been updated, if anyone is interested.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
New engineer info is up on inara, highlights:

• Ram Tah, the explorer's new best friend: lightweight mods will drop your utility slots by 80%, also adds ammo to heatsinks
  • Tiana Fortune, she does frameshift/cargo/kill warrant scanners, fsd interdictors, and limpet controllers
  • Lori Jameson, life support...she will also shield your fuel scoop and refinery, but nothing fun
  • The rest of the weapons got rank 4 or 5 mods to round them out
  • Get ready to drop 50 mats each to unlock these dudes...it all looks pretty tedious, ala 2.1 pre-fix

I'm glad they added rank 5 lightweight mods to plasma accelerators, canons, fragment canons, and pulse lasers. Now I have to rethink my weapons build for my Explorvette: I was going to go with all multicanons, but now.....
:black101:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Found a cool little touch, the voice acted flight controllers have little extra blurbs they'll say about the system state when you land. Just had one cryptically warn me about the ongoing civil war and to be "careful who you pledge your allegiance to".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DancingShade posted:

Skimmers won't spawn unless you actually land your ship on the surface.

If the base has point defence turrets your dumbfires won't hit anything either so I hope you packed an SRV.

They will spawn, you just need to skim (har) the base pretty low.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Beluga is cool and good.

That is all :)

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

2spooky4me posted:

Welcome to the cool and good club :cool:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

2spooky4me posted:

I am strongly skeptical of this claim. The shipyards have stats for it where its jump range is godawful and its shields are paper thin.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Anybody know a good place to grind Empire rank in 2.2 yet? I managed to pick the worst possible time to decide I wanted a Cutter.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Valatar posted:

I am strongly skeptical of this claim. The shipyards have stats for it where its jump range is godawful and its shields are paper thin.

I don't like it either:

takes forever to fuel scoop

despite its size, you can't actually stack many passenger missions

the stupid wings get stuck on the mailslot (and kill you) unless you remember to scrape the bottom of the slot

may as well not have shields, they are laughable -- get used to the 8M rebuy if you have a high combat rank -- even if mines still worked you wouldn't survive long enough to kill the other ship with them

jump range, with the best possible mod, is only 34ly

There are two minor positives: it yaws relatively quickly and the cabin is kinda pretty in VR

The best way to use this ship is to buy it, look around the cabin, and then immediately sell it.

jnnnnn fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 27, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Gotta grind up for that shielded fuel scoop upgrade. You never know when you will be scooping while engaged in battle at supercruise speeds.The extra power draw is worth it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

jesus look at all these bad opinions re: beluga

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Not so shameful but kind of shameful confession: last night I abused the Beluga's massive fuel tank to put my ship in supercruise, turn off my monitors and use the white noise to help me sleep. It worked so well I'm doing it again tonight. :frontear:

I should probably try to find/make a 10 hour loop video on YouTube...

Edit: the thunder noise of super cruise can be annoying but I find the thruster noise soothing as well. Might find the "best" thruster sound and make a loop video of that.

Shoot I could probably make a series of videos for every ship in the game...

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 27, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'd like to think the Beluga started off as a useful thing and then was hammered with "but they'll use it for trading and exploring!" until it became the comedy object it currently is. I am sorry about your silly ship.

The local little forum's elite thread has somehow found '84 Dad Prime. Some highlights:

quote:

I'm actually on the verge of quitting computer gaming completely because of the attitude of so many gamers
There is a code of honour that is recognised within the game, and held by those who designed it, and those who are fans of the original vision.
Should I stop, it wouldn't be the first time I've stopped playing a game because of the way other people play it... and I expect this is one of the main reasons why respected creators like Braben will always strive to remove ill-gotten, out of balance benefits in a game.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Fans of the original need to realize that the game wasn't made for them in mind. If it was, the popularity of the game would be very, very small. It was made for a wider audience.
The only problem is that :frontear: listens to the Brown Sea where the people who are fans of the original basically just wanted the original game with current graphics. The exact same game with an official title of Elite on it and not Oolite.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IAmTheRad posted:

Fans of the original need to realize that the game wasn't made for them in mind. If it was, the popularity of the game would be very, very small. It was made for a wider audience.
The only problem is that :frontear: listens to the Brown Sea where the people who are fans of the original basically just wanted the original game with current graphics. The exact same game with an official title of Elite on it and not Oolite.

This.

Reminder for anyone who forgot that original Elite was fully newtonian for all movement and calculating a fuel scoop from a star or gas giant badly meant disappearing into a gravity well with no hope of escape.

Imagine the HOTAS crowd having to deal with that. All those LEDs throttles, worthless because they can't math.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CMDR XDeath found the ruins.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...l=1#post4688478

Canonn thread is going nuts.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Looks nice, I'll bite. What is there to do once you've looked at it for a while? I presume it's either just the one site or else they seeded the galaxy with a whole bunch of "alien dig site" assets?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

If I understand correctly, there are artifacts to scoop with your SRV and sell or try to interact, possible cyphers to solve on the monument itself that might provide more info or coordinates, ambiance sounds to run through analysis for clues, etc etc.

All in all, nothing too engaging, especially for some types of players. This one would be one of those beauty spots that we were calling back on the DDF days, as nice places to visit for explorers, photograph and maybe get a clue or two. Maybe Frontier has a use for it too as far as the lore is concerned, we will have to see.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Patch rolling out at 3 pm bst.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/301663-The-Guardians-Update-2-2-01

The Guardians Update: 2.2.01 posted:

- Don't crash if there's invalid state in the powerplay map
- Fix crash when looking at the role panel in the SRV
- Protect against crash from an empty journal message
- Prevent spinning ship while docked and using VR mode with Rift CV1
- Fix a crash that can happen if the persistent POI generation runs before the planet surface controller is ready
- Fixed SRV starting underground if the base is in a crater
- Fix soft lock when entering installations when another player is already at the installation
- When cannons, plasma accelerators and railguns malfunction, they now deal 5% of their own damage to themselves, rather than 200% which would instakill them
- Civil wars now use the same structure as War/War Support to guarantee there is always at least one conflict zone in civil wars
- Fix an issue with station guns not causing damage in some network conditions
- Hunter hostiles now obey the same cooldown as normal NPCs to prevent instant interdictions
- Fixed an issue where delivery and delivery founder missions were showing the wrong credit reward in the first transaction tab after you accept the mission
- Fixed overhead per system being too large as it's not counting fortified systems towards the number of systems that pay overheads
- Materials do not drop from Fumaroles (or other persistent POIs) when multiple players are present fixed
- Stop prosecuting crimes committed by dead Commanders
- Fixed Commanders allowed to equip multiple fuel scoops, fighter bays, refineries and shield generators by retrieving a module from storage
- Fixed some stored ships not being available within the Shipyard
- Fighter Cockpit UI: removing useless indicators in the bottom right corner, leaving the component's frame only for silent running and wanted status display
- Added message when main ships power plant is malfunctioning will be displayed when player is in both main ship and fighter
- Fine now given for shooting in no fire zone with a fighter
- Lower panel shows SRV that isn't owned fixed
- Fixed missing targeting schematic images for the Satellites
- Starport UI: fixing research panel (numeric stepper) not releasing focus when pressing left on a pad to get back to contacts menu (or back button)
- Change order of string returned by GetLongLatString, to Lat then long to revert the order of the latitude and longitude readout on the hud to be the same as pre-2.2
- Fixed missing Imperial Clipper vibrant paintjobs
- Reduced module and ship transfer distance costs by 50%
- Removed build watermark.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Now maybe they can go back and un-nerf hauling missions, at least to the extant they did. 10-20% would have been fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mailer posted:

I'd like to think the Beluga started off as a useful thing and then was hammered with "but they'll use it for trading and exploring!" until it became the comedy object it currently is. I am sorry about your silly ship.

The local little forum's elite thread has somehow found '84 Dad Prime. Some highlights:

Holy poo poo gently caress that guy. Elite is a single player game masquerading as multiplayer. If you so choose you can literally never interact with another human being. If you want to gimp yourself and spend hours running bullshit missions then go for it; personally I quit playing because the game is dull as gently caress and making progression fun again would probably bring me back.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Reduced the module and ship transfer costs by half! why!? I thought they were in a good place... not complaining just curious, did you guys not think they were suitable? I think big ships should pay through the roof to be moved... coming from an owner of a big ship with far to many creds

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

Reduced the module and ship transfer costs by half! why!? I thought they were in a good place... not complaining just curious, did you guys not think they were suitable? I think big ships should pay through the roof to be moved... coming from an owner of a big ship with far to many creds

Assuming this isn't a fake post, no. No they were not in a good place. Eating the equivalent to a rebuy cost to move a ship halfway across the bubble is a recipe for me to not use the feature. It's about opportunity cost. If I spend x credits to move this ship, how many hours am I going to have to play to make that money back?

I didn't become a space-billionaire by pissing away 10+ million credits unless I absolutely had to.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Reminder for anyone who forgot that original Elite was fully newtonian for all movement and calculating a fuel scoop from a star or gas giant badly meant disappearing into a gravity well with no hope of escape.
Award for most unintentionally ironic post goes to...

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
It's what some sperg at the brown sea said.

Also note that 50% is not nearly enough, you're still paying like 6 million for 150ly for a vette.

I would pay maybe 10% of that? The calculation they're performing is based off of the ship's value somehow, and that's what's screwing up the big ships.

E: Realtalk. I don't understand making QoL features that are in every way worse than the alternative. This is the equivalent of making route plotting take minutes and cost credits vs opening the galaxy map every jump.

If you must be a stickler for 'mai immersion' and keep the time so that people somehow don't 'abuse' this (for the record, all the 'abuse' arguments I saw are ridiculous), then it shouldn't cost anything. As it stands, it takes both longer AND costs enough money to give billionaires pause.

Instead they should've simulated poo poo, like average a bunch of flights for various distances and typical jump ranges, figure out how long, and make it take that much time. Then add a symbolic credit cost if you must.

Like instant, they instead took the easy programming way out, and justified it with the idiotic 'barge' concept.

No one who's against the gigantic delay and the cost is gonna accept this 'lore' as a sane justification, because it doesn't take anyone 5 minutes to do a single jump (regardless if it's 10, 15, or 30ly). Since engineers it doesn't even take a vette or an fdl an hour to do 150ly. It's less than 10 jumps for gently caress's sake. Even if you haulercab and the distance is doubled it's still not taking an hour.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 27, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chrysophylax posted:

It's what some sperg at the brown sea said.

Also note that 50% is not nearly enough, you're still paying like 6 million for 150ly for a vette.

I would pay maybe 10% of that? The calculation they're performing is based off of the ship's value somehow, and that's what's screwing up the big ships.

Save money, it'll do ya good. That's what the guy who flew to Jacques Station used to say.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm torn right now.

I've built an explora-combat-conda (22ly jump range, full weapons/fighter/SRV compliment, minimal shielding, D rated core modules) and am tempted to take it out into the black for shits and giggles for awhile.

I'm also tempted to head over to that federation rep/money grind to potentially put together enough cash to build out an Exploravette for shits and giggles rather than a conda. Of course, then I'd have to do some engineer mods to it to build up that jump range a bit before I took it out, not to mention the lightweight component mods, etc.

I'm just turned off by the amount of time it takes to accomplish most of that.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress that guy. Elite is a single player game masquerading as multiplayer. If you so choose you can literally never interact with another human being. If you want to gimp yourself and spend hours running bullshit missions then go for it; personally I quit playing because the game is dull as gently caress and making progression fun again would probably bring me back.

I thought you quit because they refused to completely remake the game as eve with a cockpit, same as with star citizen.

Which space game are you gonna get annoyed about for the same reason next ?.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm torn right now.

I've built an explora-combat-conda (22ly jump range, full weapons/fighter/SRV compliment, minimal shielding, D rated core modules) and am tempted to take it out into the black for shits and giggles for awhile.

I'm also tempted to head over to that federation rep/money grind to potentially put together enough cash to build out an Exploravette for shits and giggles rather than a conda. Of course, then I'd have to do some engineer mods to it to build up that jump range a bit before I took it out, not to mention the lightweight component mods, etc.

I'm just turned off by the amount of time it takes to accomplish most of that.

It's maybe a week of casual gameplay to get through the basic engineers you'll need for that! You can also engi-up that conda to 45-50ly with weight savings mods and fsd boost! :science:

But, since I'm building an Explorvette myself...uhhh...just do that?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I thought you quit because they refused to completely remake the game as eve with a cockpit, same as with star citizen.

Which space game are you gonna get annoyed about for the same reason next ?.

source your quotes

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:allears:

In other news Frontier refunded my 20M Cr rebuy so that bought them some goodwill from me.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's maybe a week of casual gameplay to get through the basic engineers you'll need for that! You can also engi-up that conda to 45-50ly with weight savings mods and fsd boost! :science:

But, since I'm building an Explorvette myself...uhhh...just do that?

It was your post that made me consider the Exploravette, especially when considered alongside the fed rep/money farm that's apparently been found.

I also reeeaaally like the look of the Vette over the Clipper and am not fond of trade in any form (which is why I never participate in CGs).

But a week of casual game time for most people is like 3 weeks of game time for me. I only play 2-3 nights a week and it's even harder now, what with Rocket League & Overwatch having their Halloween specials going (I still need to unlock two more skins in Overwatch and have gotten pretty much everything I wanted out of the RL event) as well as Massive dropping that huge end-game fixing patch for The Division..

..see, torn.

e: How much did your exploravette cost you? Need to know how much monies I need to farm.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LCL-Dead posted:

It was your post that made me consider the Exploravette, especially when considered alongside the fed rep/money farm that's apparently been found.

I also reeeaaally like the look of the Vette over the Clipper and am not fond of trade in any form (which is why I never participate in CGs).

But a week of casual game time for most people is like 3 weeks of game time for me. I only play 2-3 nights a week and it's even harder now, what with Rocket League & Overwatch having their Halloween specials going (I still need to unlock two more skins in Overwatch and have gotten pretty much everything I wanted out of the RL event) as well as Massive dropping that huge end-game fixing patch for The Division..

..see, torn.

e: How much did your exploravette cost you? Need to know how much monies I need to farm.

Mine was about 420M, but a significant chunk of that is the 7A fuel scoop. Despite my frequent :spergin: on the topic, you can get away with a 7B on this build and save ~75M. I'll post a coriolis when I get home.

And yeah, it looks so much better. Like a small star destroyer. I like the sound design of the corvette much more, although N4I talking about his beluga white noise has me a little jelly...
And "casual" for me is ~5-8 hours per week, so ymmv.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Silly question, but how do I turn on the ability to ignore non-scoopable stars when plotting a route? I don't see the option in the galaxy map.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
IIRC you have to go into map view, filter for star class, untick all the ones after M class, and find the 'apply filter to route' option further down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yall talking about 10mi like its nothing and i havent even made 5mi lifetime yet
gently caress you guys tell me your capitalist secrets so i can join the space millionaire club too

• Locked thread