Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Austin would be a cool guest for en episode or a series of 3 or 4, but I think casting him in a semi-permanent role would be a misstep. No matter how good he is, Austin simply will not have the same chemistry with the brothers and Clint that they have with each other. I mean, Griffin has known every other person on TAZ for literally his entire life. That's irreplaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

You beautiful bastards.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Austin's probably a bit busy running a website anyway

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

appropriately, I started listening to Friends at the Table recently and it's mindblowing how much better a GM Austin is compared to Griffin

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there should be a painting of Marilyn Monroe in the throne from game of thrones.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Have Tres Horny Boys go against a rival adventuring party played by Austin Walker, Matthew Mercer, and Chris Perkins.

Alternatively, Clint and Wil Wheaton compete to see who can roll the most 1s.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

IIRC Griffin said in TTAZZ that they would love to have guests but that it would be a logistical mess.

They also straight-up admitted to fudging rolls to keep the narrative from falling apart.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mikedawson posted:

IIRC Griffin said in TTAZZ that they would love to have guests but that it would be a logistical mess.

They also straight-up admitted to fudging rolls to keep the narrative from falling apart.

Hid idea of John Hodgman voicing Hodgepodge in the Crystal Kingdom arc is the one time where I would be completely OK with that idea.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Important content

https://twitter.com/wintrygrave/status/791421860344979456

https://twitter.com/wintrygrave/status/791447921891876864

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/791490441216569344

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mikedawson posted:

couldn't tell....

The only time Travis rolls less than 19 is when he has advantage

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

When they roll initiative they all regularly roll low. They just don't do that very often.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

When they roll initiative they all regularly roll low. They just don't do that very often.

Yeah there's not necessarily a big first-mover advantage though, so you don't get punished for poor initiative rolls.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alaois posted:

appropriately, I started listening to Friends at the Table recently and it's mindblowing how much better a GM Austin is compared to Griffin

Austin's podcast is a reminder that tabletop rpgs are still awful and embarassing, despite the best efforts of tres horny boys.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mikedawson posted:

Real rolls would be terrible radio

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

This is genuinely the best thing thats happened to me this week

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

couldn't tell....

The only time Travis rolls less than 19 is when he has advantage

Even Travis has his limits, though. In the last episode I don't think anyone, especially Griffin, believed he actually rolled a 19 against the Pocket Boys when he was Doin' Crime after Griffin warned him of the consequences if he failed. Anyway for the rest of the episode his rolls were noticeably lower and my theory is he felt guilty. Especially after the Pocket Boys died.

That 19 is the only time the fudging has annoyed me (or I've even noticed), since the whole point of a risky side adventure is that poo poo is risky. It's no fun if you fudge your way through it! Otherwise, I am 100% OK with roll-fudging for the sake of the narrative.

padijun posted:

Real rolls would be terrible radio

Yeah, this. TAZ is more about the story and roleplaying than the gameplay itself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Austin's podcast is a reminder that tabletop rpgs are still awful and embarassing, despite the best efforts of tres horny boys.

??????????

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Friends at the table is loving fantastic, what

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

ATP5G1 posted:

Even Travis has his limits, though. In the last episode I don't think anyone, especially Griffin, believed he actually rolled a 19 against the Pocket Boys when he was Doin' Crime after Griffin warned him of the consequences if he failed. Anyway for the rest of the episode his rolls were noticeably lower and my theory is he felt guilty. Especially after the Pocket Boys died.

That 19 is the only time the fudging has annoyed me (or I've even noticed), since the whole point of a risky side adventure is that poo poo is risky. It's no fun if you fudge your way through it! Otherwise, I am 100% OK with roll-fudging for the sake of the narrative.

Yeah, this. TAZ is more about the story and roleplaying than the gameplay itself.

I'm kind of curious what they would have done to him if he'd been caught. It's not like the BOB can just get rid of him when it's been established he's one of three people who can even get close to the relics without succumbing to whatever magic they have...

Serf
May 5, 2011

Of all the actual plays I listen to, Austin Walker is doing some next level poo poo compared to everyone else. But Griffin is way closer to how I run games, and there is something to be said for the chemistry he has with his family.

They should do a switcheroo episode where Austin GMs for Tres Horny Boys and Griffin GMs for some folks from the Friends crew.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Austin might be an incredible GM, but I have never been able to stick through FFatT despite a good half-dozen attempts because of how deeply unfunny and boring his players are. I listened through the giant bomb east role-playing thing they did and that was great; so I am more willing to believe it is just his players over him specifically but hoo boy is friends at the table some deeply boring stuff.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I thought the Quiet Year and Marielda seasons of FATT were pretty good. I haven't gotten into the earlier seasons yet though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Amateur Sketch posted:

I thought the Quiet Year and Marielda seasons of FATT were pretty good. I haven't gotten into the earlier seasons yet though.

Counterweight is great, but it really only hits its stride when they switch systems to The Sprawl, which everyone seems much more comfortable with and is more listenable.

Their Dungeon World Hieron stuff is a lot less enjoyable, and I think I'll skip the upcoming game and come back when they do the Springsteen-inspired thing comes after that.

TAZ on the other hand has been consistently fun, and I'll definitely be listening to whatever else they do.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I've been listening to friends at the table as kind of filler when I have nothing else going. I think the title is appropriate - it's a bunch of friends that record their gaming sessions. If I had a tabletop group and recorded it it would be about as entertaining.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Edit: I posted a bunch of old TAZ spoilers here and felt bad about it

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 27, 2016

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ATP5G1 posted:

He's a 12th level fighter. A 19 on a strength check isn't even an especially great roll.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Justin loves Bethesda games, so gaming the system comes as like second nature

Serf
May 5, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

He's a 12th level fighter. A 19 on a strength check isn't even an especially great roll.

Assuming that by now he has an 18 in STR, then he more than likely rolled a 15. Not that the chances of that are any better, just pointing out that he's probably adding his modifier.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Fighters in 5e are basically good at one thing: hitting things. I'd honestly be more surprised if Travis was less accurate than he is.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Beard Yawn posted:

Fighters in 5e are basically good at one thing: hitting things. I'd honestly be more surprised if Travis was less accurate than he is.

like travis jokes around about it but caster supremacy is a thing, if he's not able to put two low-level mooks in a chokehold then i don't know what he can do.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I really wanted him to just keep those dudes in his pocket for the entire adventure. Maybe even spend some time trying to convince them to come around. Eh, maybe one of them survived...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

showbiz_liz posted:

I really wanted him to just keep those dudes in his pocket for the entire adventure. Maybe even spend some time trying to convince them to come around. Eh, maybe one of them survived...

Like Peace Walker?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I doubt he knows what he's supposed to roll a lot of the time. One thing that stuck out last episode is he rolled a reflex save and said he got a 10, so 12 with his bonus. I don't remember much about the rules of the new edition but I'm pretty sure by level 25 you're fronting more than a +2 Dex save. I'm guessing he didn't realize there's a base save modifier that grows?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

greatn posted:

I doubt he knows what he's supposed to roll a lot of the time. One thing that stuck out last episode is he rolled a reflex save and said he got a 10, so 12 with his bonus. I don't remember much about the rules of the new edition but I'm pretty sure by level 25 you're fronting more than a +2 Dex save. I'm guessing he didn't realize there's a base save modifier that grows?

That's because there isn't one.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

greatn posted:

Also they're like level 14 or so, not 25.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Piell posted:

That's because there isn't one.

Yeah, there's no reflex/will/fort saves in 5E. Saves are literally just the stats. You get your stat modifier to the roll, plus you have two saves that get your proficiency bonus based on your class. Fighters get proficiency in strength and constitution, so Travis just rolls and adds his dex mod. Which he hasn't really been building up for any reason, so it's just a +2.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jesse Thorn from JJGO! wrote up a tumblr post about some Penny Arcade debacle he unwittingly found himself in. Really paints those PA dudes as giant scumbags if it's true. It's a good read, link here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Jesse Thorn from JJGO! wrote up a tumblr post about some Penny Arcade debacle he unwittingly found himself in. Really paints those PA dudes as giant scumbags if it's true. It's a good read, link here.

They're huge shitheads and I'm surprised that people don't realize it. Look at how often they've directed their fans to harass random people who may or may not have slighted them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

that pa post is pretty loving awful.

quote:

March? Already? That’s horrifying.

When the first leg of the book tour was concluded, I slept a full thirteen hours in a black sleep which was beyond dreaming. That’s how long it took for my skin to excrete our experience with Jesse Thorn, thereby returning my body to normal function.

The schedule we were given commanded us to be a part of a program entitled “Jordan, Jesse, Go,” and grudgingly we obeyed the document. Already, we were put out; the next episode of Maury promised to feature searing video of cheaters confronted literally in mid-cheat. When we arrived at the address to discover it was someone’s house, I began to mentally embroider grim scenarios. The organism who answered the door had worn a bow tie - and I am not making this up - on purpose. The next forty-five minutes were spent engaged in absolutely the most stultifying kind of nonsense while we awaited the co-host. Recording the show wasn’t much different than the previous hour, except that now there were two people to ignore us. We were steeped in a high PSI stream of cultural detritus, which culminated in an attempt by the hosts to engage seriously the subject of “Waterworld.” I made a note in my iPhone about the experience, which reads:

- Actively fellated by a dog.

This last bit was actually the high point. There was a period during the interview where I began to read the titles of his CDs, one after the other. I honestly didn’t know what else to do. I had nothing to offer these people, and they didn’t give a poo poo anyway, and all the while a klaxon was sounding: “get out, get out, get out.” They managed to bring out a side of Gabriel that I’ve only seen three or four times in twelve years, and only once directed at me: the implacable judge who becomes (without warning) the unadorned aggressor. You must work diligently to bring out this monster; a feat they managed in record time.

I looked him up online, in an attempt to figure out what his deal was exactly, because actually being around him did nothing to illuminate his character. I stumbled upon a manifesto entitled The New Sincerity, and if you’re wondering what that could possibly mean, let me tell you. The New Sincerity is simply The Old Irony, with better PR.

Outside of our harrowing encounter with this man’s carefully manicured artifice, the trip still resounds in the mind. Energite levels were low the second night, an unfortunate fact for which I apologize, but I’ve never done anything like this before. It feels strange to go to a bunch of different places and do the same thing, the polar opposite of honesty, which the night at Barnes & Noble more or less epitomized. The first night was at a Library, and the last one was at a Comic Shop, which felt more like neutral ground.

The last one in particular, at L.A.‘s Meltdown Comics, almost had a tent revival feel to it. We signed early, spoke, signed again, then spoke again, whatever felt appropriate at the moment. Fascinating questions were offered up, proffered by a region of darkness whose occupants were not entirely visible. I strive, above all else, to be useful to you; occasionally, I am able to manage it.

(CW)TB out.

i remember reading it whenever it was first posted and not really thinking much of it, but drat, what an incredibly unprofessional and lovely piece of writing. he had the gall to interview you in his home? he wore a bow tie? they talked about waterworld?

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's surprising you could read anything out of one of Tycho's essays, considering how desperately he wants to be Howard Phillip Lovecraft.