Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've got my Xbox on a wired connection and I still get the latency icon in the corner. I don't notice any lag or choppiness. I'm guessing it's on :dice:'s end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CornHolio posted:

My PS4 is hooked up to my wireless and as a result, I constantly get the little latency and low FPS icons. Game usually plays fine though. Should I run an ethernet cable into my basement or am I good?

I mean if the game usually plays fine whatever, but just run an Ethernet cord and get it over with.

Ethernet supremacy

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
PS4s wireless kind of sucks, especially on the earlier models. If you can have ethernet, do it.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
PSN is Digital-NT-Plus

Please help me not be (the only one) horrible.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sunday at work posted:

PS4s wireless kind of sucks, especially on the earlier models. If you can have ethernet, do it.

I'd have to drill a hole through my floor and run a really long cable, but it's doable. Just don't know if it's necessary.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how strong is your will to game? You know the answer

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CornHolio posted:

I'd have to drill a hole through my floor and run a really long cable, but it's doable. Just don't know if it's necessary.

Look into powerline adapters. They work well most of the time, and while you won't get full speeds it'll definitely be faster and more stable than PS4 wifi.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
Sent a Battlegoons request in last night as well. PSN is Turambar_II, and while I'm not great at this game I do know to give ammo to people as a support and revive as a medic. I'm fairly certain that makes me better than 90% of the people I've been in squads with thus far.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Wolfen posted:

Sent a Battlegoons request in last night as well. PSN is Turambar_II, and while I'm not great at this game I do know to give ammo to people as a support and revive as a medic. I'm fairly certain that makes me better than 90% of the people I've been in squads with thus far.

I approved all requests so far a little over an hour ago.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pigeon mode is surprisingly cool

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CornHolio posted:

My PS4 is hooked up to my wireless and as a result, I constantly get the little latency and low FPS icons. Game usually plays fine though. Should I run an ethernet cable into my basement or am I good?

I have mine on ethernet and they still pop up every now and then but like you said the game plays smoothly so I just ignore them

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This "destroy 3 vehicles with K Bullets" medal is so goddamn dumb. Why? Why would they require something that this gadget is clearly not intended for? You get 5 bullets and they barely scratch tanks, and lol good luck ever getting resupplied, ever. Like they designed a medal that encourages you to be a dick by kill-stealing critically damaged vehicles, but even that is a total crapshoot because the odds of you getting a shot off before one of the other million people on the team chucks a random grenade at it or something is basically nil. They do alright against motorcycles and jeeps but I never see anybody actually use those, and you have to be really good at leading shots because if you miss a fast moving target once or twice you are basically out of luck.

Should have been "interrupt 3 repairs with K Bullets" or something that makes some kind of sense. For how great this game is, I can't believe how terrible the medal system is. It's honestly one of the dumbest systems I've ever seen in this or any other FPS game. BF4's was really pretty good and had lots of variety + goofy requirements (mostly in the DLC, but still), I'm honestly shocked at how big of a step backward this is.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Decided to get in on this madness. PSN is Deadshanks

I'm in Asia so if you're in the area or just a ~Night Crew~ goon let's kill some Huns or Tommies or whoever together.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Footsteps are really quiet in this game, and honestly I'm ok with it, I always thought it was kinda dumb that if you were approaching some guys from behind the only thing determining whether one of them turns around and shoots you from 60 feet away is whether or not any of them own headphones irl

Not with the right set up. e.g. on Sinai desert I was using an AA gun on a half blown up building and could hear a guy approach clearly enough to have the end of the gun in his mouth the second he got up the ladder. (Dolby Atmos surround speakers)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just got this game, been playing for a bit, it's incredible

XBOX ONE ppl, add me: friend0to0all, I play as medic mostly. I am slow and bad and usually sooo smacked but I promise I will revive you.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Also if anyone has any tips to help me improve, I'd love them.

Right now i am focused on:

- crouching
- laying on my stomach and playing dead, then shooting an enemy
- reviving my comrades when I see a white skull
- only running when I move, otherwise hiding behind stuff
- finding better weapons

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So to get better myself, I've started by trying to learn the maps, then figuring out where chokepoints occur that enemies will naturally try to rally at and push through, then filling that area with dynamite and waiting for the big reward.

The best has been that mountain level in the tunnel for I think C flag. An enemy tank tried to push its way through there and my dynamite ended up turning it into a death box and lighting off an entire a squad.

That level with the bombed out city and all the close quarters combat that takes place within the buildings is the most loving coolest level I've ever played. So well made.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

My favorite thing to do with dynamite is find a sniper on a roof and go to the floor just below them and toss it around. Go outside and blow it, usually it will flat-out kill them in the blast, and if not the roof / floor will collapse and they will get killed by falling debris. Bonus points for them not being able to use that spot again!

Also you can just barely toss it through the window slit beside the locking doors in the underground bunker on Grappa (point B I think?), which is hilarious, especially on Rush where one of the telegraph boxes is literally right outside the door.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It's kind of horseshit that once again :dice: doesn't give much of an option to gently caress with snipers, and again gives them the tools to just sit on the edge of the map potshotting, contributing nothing. At least give some range to the mortar, 80m is bullshit.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Snipers are just lovely. "Ah I should have known better than to walk into this spot where I got shot by someone who can see farther than me and has a one hit kill gun."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The server browser filters have an option to disable entire classes, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are eventually "no Scout" servers or something. Usually I don't mind them too much, and on the smaller game modes there aren't really enough places for them to hide off in the dsitance and they have to play more aggressively, which is totally fine (and mortars are more effective against them on those maps). Definitely annoying on conquest and stuff where there's just a million snipers hiding in rocks a mile away aiming directly at the objectives, and no real way to kill them without counter-sniping or hopping in a tank.

edit: I hope some day they let Scout use shotguns because it would basically be my favorite class if I could run with a shotty and flares, and it would feel more like an actual "scout". It doesn't help that the only option you really have for close-ish ranges is the experimental rifle, which is not very good at all. Hard to blame people for hiding in the back when they get dunked on by medics and support at mid-range and everyone at close range.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

red19fire posted:

It's kind of horseshit that once again :dice: doesn't give much of an option to gently caress with snipers, and again gives them the tools to just sit on the edge of the map potshotting, contributing nothing. At least give some range to the mortar, 80m is bullshit.

Scout should have been an elite class, not that there's ever a chance it would have happened. Plus then you could justify giving them 1 shot kills at a distance and some more fun toys (like an improved flare, or calling down off map artillery)
Wookies are a part of BF culture, for better or for worse it's the latter

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Here's a hot take, snipers are in every game ever, aren't going away, and are not so secretly easy to avoid by staying out of the open. Don't ban them because you can't deal with the shame of dying to one

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Don't stand in the open. Avoid the points. When you die to a guy your system doesn't even render it's because it's good and fun and if you don't like it you're bad at video games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you guys ban snipers I won't be able to mercilessly stab them on the cliffs of Fao Fortress

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My annoyance about them is less from dying and more about the amazing ability of the class's mere existence to turn a not insignificant portion of my team into useless retards

e; like so many times in operations it's come down to the wire and here's like five people standing on a ridge instead of throwing themselves into the grinder so we can scrape by

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I mean that's true to an extent, but there are at least a couple maps (Grappa and Suez especially) where "staying out of the open" isn't really feasible if you are actually trying to push objectives. Hell, Grappa lets them walk like 50 meters from their rear spawn point and have a side view of the entire battlefield from an elevated position, and literally the only places you can really hide are underground or in the tunnel at C.

At the end of the day it's not really any worse than getting nailed by an attack plane or gibbed by a tank from ridiculous distances (The A7V's cannon is a goddamn laser), but it becomes very noticeable and very annoying when there's a whole lot of them, because at least with tanks there's only ever two at once and people are mostly good at spotting them so you can avoid them.

edit: And yeah, I'm way more annoyed at snipers on my team than the enemy's. Kinda hard to capture a point when your entire squad is camping out on a pile of rocks in the middle of nowhere. And then you have basically no way to take out tanks, either.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also on that map I had a game where members on my team were sniping just 10 meters away from where a group of enemy snipers were camping. Without blips on the map they were totally unaware of each other lol

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Last time I played, the one thing I noticed really stood out on that desert fortress map was all the twinkling lights of wookies on the ramparts. The scope shine is huge. Not a lot you can do about it except start jumping and dancing, but at least you know where to point your field gun.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Fuligin posted:

My annoyance about them is less from dying and more about the amazing ability of the class's mere existence to turn a not insignificant portion of my team into useless retards

e; like so many times in operations it's come down to the wire and here's like five people standing on a ridge instead of throwing themselves into the grinder so we can scrape by

If there were no snipers I can guarantee they'd still be stupid, just in a different way. They'd be sitting in the corner of a room instead. Pubbies playing the objective is rare.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
The most annoying thing about snipers to me is when my squad is full of them and spawning on them doesn't get me any closer to the action. I just want to avoid walking for long distances

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

mellowjournalism posted:

an open letterhistorical lesson to the guy who said this game was "boring" something something "not enough battlefield moments"

~~~

My Beloved Edward,

It has been an entire day of fighting since I last wrote you. I hope the pigeon makes it across
the atlantic. The war will surely end by mid-November when the game is "dead," and I should be
home by christmas. Till then, I shall pass the time by detailing to you the ins and outs of the
soldiering life, if the boredom doesn't take me first.

http://i.imgur.com/TSnPNG6.gifv(actual wwi footage)

They said we would see the world and they sold no lie about that. I have seen mountains and
hills and even clouds, stretching far as the eye can see. They also said that a man of sound
mind and composure would not find the battlefield frustrating, repetitive, stupid, or stressful.
Let me tell you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU0--SsF1_k

The technological advances of our time are a marvelous and awesome thing. Just yesterday
I was instructed in the use of the Mk. IV gate locking mechanism. I am both shocked
and delighted by the simplicity and elegance of the function, and the enemy's poor
eyesight. Thank god for the 7,000ft detonation wire they've issued us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1MZ-WLYNVA

Edward, it is awful. The sand is coarse, and rough, and irritating. It is everywhere.
There is fog and lovely weather effects and one can neither see nor play the game.
The men complain routinely, and I am wont to go to reddit and give the architects
of this noble war a piece of my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWmySWsxQ80

I even landed on a gods-be-damnedable FLYING ZEPPELIN and I was so taken up with myself
I had forgotten which country I was fighting for. Someone needs to keep better track
of who is whom in this war or someone is liable to be shot. Perhaps a disintctive flag,
or a uniform, or a consistent skin tone we could all agree upon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szq_7TYW2Ak

~~~

I think i have had enough of this war

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 29, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My favorite thing to do with dynamite is find a sniper on a roof and go to the floor just below them and toss it around. Go outside and blow it, usually it will flat-out kill them in the blast, and if not the roof / floor will collapse and they will get killed by falling debris. Bonus points for them not being able to use that spot again!

Also you can just barely toss it through the window slit beside the locking doors in the underground bunker on Grappa (point B I think?), which is hilarious, especially on Rush where one of the telegraph boxes is literally right outside the door.

Is it ok that one time I spawned onto three people on my team in the top floor of a building sniping so I just blew the floor up as I left the house?

Also, I think I read here that those big blue doors into the turret in the mountains can be blown open? How many dynamites does it take? I walked up to like a big double doors blue door, my first time seeing it really as I'm so new. I was all alone and there was no slot in the door or anything. So I just dropped all my dynamite, backed up a ways, and when I blew the door I took out two people on the other side as well. poo poo was mayhem. :getin:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Last night skater and I were the rush attackers on fao. Our team went into the hills and sniped the entire time. Only got a single plant which was immediately defused. 10/10 snipers aren't bad you guys.

Also learned only one criteria on a medal can be met at a time, as I got ten kills in one life but only got credit for getting ten kills in a round and not five kills in one life also. gently caress medals

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is it ok that one time I spawned onto three people on my team in the top floor of a building sniping so I just blew the floor up as I left the house?

Doing the lord's work. See also: blowing up the windmill in Scar when all of your squad is camped out on the top floor, tossing smoke grenades on top of friendly snipers hiding in bushes, etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The M1903 Experimental for the scout class is amazing. The damage is a little low, but it is laser accurate, and has FORTY-ONE shots in a clip. Trust me, just give it a try. It's a thing of beauty, and really makes the attack scout niche plausible.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

mellowjournalism posted:

~~~

My Beloved Edward,
I think i have had enough of this war

I thank you for your letters / posts.

- - -

Something I have noticed in my games, is infantry give the largest value to the flag with more troops, to the point the whole infantry regiment moves like a "zerg" from flag to flag, ignoring all other flags lost to the enemy.
This is strategically madness and I pull my hair in despair when I see it.

For whatever reason infantry believe "C Hill" to have some sacred holy land value and must be conquered no matter what, while a more smart enemy moves squads around the map uncontested or against a single hero that try to stop without success.

Being in the winning team when this happens is not fun either, because feel like a empty victory against a enemy without brains.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

The M1903 Experimental for the scout class is amazing. The damage is a little low, but it is laser accurate, and has FORTY-ONE shots in a clip. Trust me, just give it a try. It's a thing of beauty, and really makes the attack scout niche plausible.

Well drat I was playing Battle Wookiee all last night (the spotting flare is SO GOOD) and I was gonna ask what the best gun is for it since I was just using the scope-less version of the starter gun the whole time. I'll give that a shot.

Seriously though, spotting flare + bayonet charge is the most hilarious poo poo. Running right into someone as they round a corner never gets old

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I have over ten kills with the spotting flare already and I have zero shame about it. I love playing as a scout with a M95 or K98 infantry rifle.

Pop a flare moving in, throw some gas at any little icons on the minimap and keep on cappin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

deadwing posted:

Well drat I was playing Battle Wookiee all last night (the spotting flare is SO GOOD) and I was gonna ask what the best gun is for it since I was just using the scope-less version of the starter gun the whole time. I'll give that a shot.

Seriously though, spotting flare + bayonet charge is the most hilarious poo poo. Running right into someone as they round a corner never gets old

This scout gun he's talking about sounds an awful lot like a certain very special sniper weapon from Battlefield past. And when I think VSS, one name comes clearly to mind. Triangular Duck.