Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Just make sure you get a model with a GTX 1060 - there are plenty of older models floating around for ridiculously inflated prices. I believe the current model is the MSI Stealth Pro.

another option is the Aorus X3 Plus v6. Much nicer than the MSI, but it's about 2 grand.

How is your x5 v6?

Edit: Oh, new page, so for some content, the new MB Pros will have Polaris chips according to Dave Lee on Youtube, which means we're probs looking at 960m-ish performance at the highest end.

Heroes of the Storm guy, the MSI Ghost Pro The Iron Rose talked about is specifically the MSI GS63VR. That's a 15 inch thin one, almost as thin as a Razer Blade.

Alternatively there is the MSI GS43VR which is a 14inch laptop and a bit thicker, also with a GTX1060.

Between the two I'd pick the 63 (15 inch) because it's thinner, only a little heavier, doesn't throttle as hard (but will under certain loads), and the heatpipes aren't touching the wifi chip which seems like something they'd test thoroughly, but I'd hate for my wifi chip to burn out 1 month past warranty.

Just be aware that any 1060 laptop you get, including the Clevo P650 rebrands, are going to be loud under gaming load. IIRC, the fatter MSI ones (GT/GE series) are quieter, but they are huge bulky things.

Also, ALL GTX1060/1070 laptops are going to have bad battery life, either due to GSync (so no Optimus which means you don't switch to IGP for power savings when idle), or compromises in battery watt hours for portability. We're talking 3 hours ish web browsing at 50% brightness kind of bad.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

signalnoise posted:

Alternatively this company regularly buys people Thinkpad X1 Carbons so I could just as easily get something with Intel 520 poo poo, what's a good resource for finding out the gaming toughness of that chip?

I'd get an Thinkpad X1 Tablet so I'd have USB-C external GPUness if I were you, but if you're curious about Intel iGPU stuff I'd look for your favorite game + youtube in a google search. So far this 6440HQ + Intel 530 in my Thinkpad T460p has 1080p 60'd Counter Strike and my indie game I'm making, so that's that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How is your x5 v6?

Unfortunately USPS hosed up the delivery. I bought it beginning of October and had it sent to mySan Francisco residence since it's way cheaper to buy stateside than it is in Canada. it arrived on like the 6th or so. I got my father to ship it out to me on the 11th of October.

Yesterday, after sporadic updates from USPS, I'm notified that they made an attempted delivery... to San Francisco. Somehow USPS managed to process guess laptop through customs, and then proceeded to mix up the sender and recipien. I'm going stateside around Thanksgiving anyways, and at this point it's not really worth the hundred bucks to send it through customs and USPS to get it two weeks earlier.

Next time around I'll just wait to order until I'm actually in country I think.

As per battery life, I'm used to the Lenovo Y50 that got 2 hours at minimum brightness on WiFi with an optimus enabled 960m, so three hours is a goddamn delight.

Besides, I've a Dell latitude e7470 that I use whenever I need a longer battery. Great machine, picked it up for a song. Pretty sure it fell of the back of a truck but that's not my problem. Goddamn beautiful screen, great keyboard, surprisingly mediocre battery life at around 5 hours or so.

I strongly recommend it if you can afford the business class prices.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 24, 2016

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Also, ALL GTX1060/1070 laptops are going to have bad battery life, either due to GSync (so no Optimus which means you don't switch to IGP for power savings when idle), or compromises in battery watt hours for portability. We're talking 3 hours ish web browsing at 50% brightness kind of bad.

This is something I hadn't considered. I should really scratch any kind of touch screen off my list, too. That has to eat battery life like crazy.

Is there a good deal out there that meets my needs, otherwise? I'm having trouble finding anything.

• Long battery life.
  • Watch movies/shows (IPS HD screen?)
  • At least 16gb to make bad chiptune with.
  • Decent enough gpu to play old Steam and Blizzard games (Overwatch would be good)

I'd like a mechanical keyboard, but I haven't found one on a laptop under 1500 yet. I am probably looking in the wrong places, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
FWIW, the Clevo 650 series has a switch that allows it to go between Optimus (better battery life) and GSync.

Clevo also don't look like elite gamer machines, so they might be nice in a BYOD corporate environment.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I can't decide what thread to put this question in, but since it is related to laptops I'll ask here:

Are there any good cooling pads for laptops out there that do well with soft surfaces like beds, couches, carpets, a persons lap or chest, etc. In the warmer times of the year my laptop has a bit of trouble pulling enough air and it gets pretty hot. Right now I use a 2 lb 8 oz piece of Plexiglass that that gets really hot as well and makes it uncomfortable to lay the laptop on my chest while in bed. I've been looking through newegg and amazon, but I can't find any that fit the bill of 'Not bottom intake' and 'not uncomfortable to put on lap or chest' and 'under 2 pounds.' With little success. I was hoping that maybe someone here has one that they could recommend. Seems like every review on newegg is about lovely fans, and amazon is rife with 5 star absolutely nothing wrong with this no-name product reviews.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Broose posted:

Are there any good cooling pads for laptops out there that do well with soft surfaces like beds, couches, carpets, a persons lap or chest, etc.

I've found that the best designs will have a platform with empty space for exhaust between the bottom and the fans. Best one I've ever had was like a wedge with a flat bottom and fans on the bottom of the incline, and empty sides. That way there is actually still some airflow even if it's on a pillowy surface.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Correction, not all 1060/70 laptops are gsync. Some have optimus, most notably gigabyte's one inch thick 2 grand model with a 4k screen and a 1070. Decent battery life too, around 5 hours of moderate use. Not a bad option if you can swing the $2200

I think the aorus x3 may also have optimus as well, though I'm unsure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xiaomi Air review

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-Mi-Air-13-3-inch-Notebook-Review.180561.0.html

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Should I be able to "Wake on LAN" my thinkpad from completely off? It's working fine from sleep and I've set every setting I can find (BIOS, Power Management, Network Adpater) to what I would assume would allow it, but it wont work from off.

Is this a general Laptop/Thinkpad limitation, or is there another setting somewhere that I've not tracked down?

Also, should I just get over my aversion to Sleep/Hibernate?

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
I have a Lenovo T430. I bought it back in like August 2012. I need it to last me another ~1-2 years. The only things I've changed about it are replacing the HDD with an SSD and adding a RAM stick (4gb -> 8gb). I never replaced the battery (got an external). I used to get like 5-10 hours. Now I get about 60-90 minutes if I'm lucky. So I need recommendations. What kind of new batteries should I buy, and should I update the RAM to 16 gb? I don't do any gaming. I just use it for programming and other homework assignments.

eames
May 9, 2009

Really quite impressive if you can ignore the backdoor/spying concerns. I'd love to check one out to see if the build quality is really that good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dangerous Mind posted:

I have a Lenovo T430. I bought it back in like August 2012. I need it to last me another ~1-2 years. The only things I've changed about it are replacing the HDD with an SSD and adding a RAM stick (4gb -> 8gb). I never replaced the battery (got an external). I used to get like 5-10 hours. Now I get about 60-90 minutes if I'm lucky. So I need recommendations. What kind of new batteries should I buy, and should I update the RAM to 16 gb? I don't do any gaming. I just use it for programming and other homework assignments.

8GB of ram is still fine, I would just go buy an official 6 cell battery it be $50-60. Third party batteries are a crap shoot, and still run $30-40

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Mind posted:

OEM batteries are definitely the best bet, even if they're a bit more expensive. Even then you'll probably get like 8 hours with a 9-cell. I've had reasonably good experience with buying random Chinese ones for phones and cameras, but never risked it for a laptop.

More RAM is always better, but if you added a stick already then you'd probably need to toss both of them and put 2x8GB in. So you might want to check if you're actually running out of memory. 8GB should be ok for homework and coding assignments, but can easily be eaten up by Chrome tabs if you're hoarding them like I do.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I'm surprised the Laptop thread here hasn't been talking about the Samsung 960 Pro. Releases on the 30th, should be pretty goddamn fast. Supposed to run cooler than the 950s due to a copper sticker, which hopefully helps a laptop from setting the desk on fire.

I hope it can load windows 10 in a negative amount of time and open a portal to another dimension

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't remember the last time I said "gee, I wish my SSD were even faster"

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is the Acer Chromebook R11 still a good go-to cheap chromebook? I've been using a T400 and a terrible random Dell 15" for a year now and they're killing me. I just need something cheap for web/slack/netflix with a good battery.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

texasmed posted:

I'm surprised the Laptop thread here hasn't been talking about the Samsung 960 Pro. Releases on the 30th, should be pretty goddamn fast. Supposed to run cooler than the 950s due to a copper sticker, which hopefully helps a laptop from setting the desk on fire.
I hear Samsung aren't that great at making things that don't set things on fire.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hadlock posted:

Also the SSD is the component whose thermals I am most concerned about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Now make that a BluRay :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

texasmed posted:

I hope it can load windows 10 in a negative amount of time and open a portal to another dimension

Actually, better heat dissipation off of the SSD and into the internals of your laptop will make the laptop use more power and dissipate more heat. Better cooling allows more power consumption, not the other way around.

I've got an issue on every Windows PC that I use where the Downloads folder ends up taking an eternity (10+ seconds) to open, would a faster SSD not fix that? I've got Crucial BX100s or 840 EVOs with the firmware fix on them in everything.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So I need a new laptop for use around the house--I have a Surface 3 for when I'm out and about--what are people's thoughts on the Lenovo Y700? I do a ton of writing, a bit of casual gaming (nothing too demanding--just stuff like SW:TOR or Rocket League), and a lot of statistical/GIS junk. I really want something with a great, comfortable keyboard and good build quality. Portability and battery life are not concerns. My plan was to pick something up on Black Friday as I hear Lenovo has decent sales.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Hah, that DVD drop demo is old as balls. 960 Pro easily beats that franken-raid array in pure sequential throughput.

never mind it took 5 years of SSD development and a completely different interface to do it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Next I want to see them drop a 200GB microSD card.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Rosalind posted:

So I need a new laptop for use around the house--I have a Surface 3 for when I'm out and about--what are people's thoughts on the Lenovo Y700? I do a ton of writing, a bit of casual gaming (nothing too demanding--just stuff like SW:TOR or Rocket League), and a lot of statistical/GIS junk. I really want something with a great, comfortable keyboard and good build quality. Portability and battery life are not concerns. My plan was to pick something up on Black Friday as I hear Lenovo has decent sales.

bad idea. Can you afford a laptop with a GTX 1060?

e: of course you can, it's the same price as 1060 laptops.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I have owned my Dell Inspiron GTX 960 Laptop for almost a year now and I need to have it repaired fairly soon after it was dropped one day in March. Everything's operational but the cosmetics have been tearing up over the months. I bought a $120 Asurion 3 year warranty for laptops when I ordered my laptop, but I wonder how long it would take them to inspect my laptop before they decide to fix or replace it. I have my orders archived to PDF, and when I went to my nearby laptop repair location they said it'd cost much more to repair it for a shorter time. I've heard bad reports of laptop repairs/diagnostics taking up to 3 weeks to go through - is there any truth behind them? Has anyone here used an Asurion warranty?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Generally speaking it's way better to get a manufacturer warranty rather than a third party, as no manufacturer is going to screw you over for that sorta thing.

Say what you will over the poo poo quality of Lenovo ideapads, they gave me a total of four product replacements, literally dozens of repairs and part replacements, and an additional three years of warranty service. All without me paying a dime.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Lady is looking to buy a macbook with the new announcements tomorrow. I know nothing about buying apple PCs. Anything weird in the cult of mac?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What exactly is your question?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Mu Zeta posted:

What exactly is your question?

i believe it was a classic :siren: my girlfriend :siren: post

best ignored

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

EVIL NOONER posted:

i believe it was a classic :siren: my girlfriend :siren: post

best ignored

Aye.

I'm curious if there's

1) Weird ways to get deals on Macs ala B&N 10% for Lenovo

2) Unexpected expenses buying a Mac instead of a Windows laptop

3) How the second hand market for Mac differs from PC and how that effects prices. Essentially we're looking at an ecosystem that hasn't changed in 2 years, right?

She wants to do video editing otherwise it's a nice looking netflix/email/facebook box if that means anything.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I've found that the best designs will have a platform with empty space for exhaust between the bottom and the fans. Best one I've ever had was like a wedge with a flat bottom and fans on the bottom of the incline, and empty sides. That way there is actually still some airflow even if it's on a pillowy surface.

I think these two fit that description:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051GK6RA/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084V5FOI/

Casu Marzu posted:

Is the Acer Chromebook R11 still a good go-to cheap chromebook? I've been using a T400 and a terrible random Dell 15" for a year now and they're killing me. I just need something cheap for web/slack/netflix with a good battery.

It's still a solid choice for a $200-300 CB convertible with touchscreen and Android app support. The Asus CB Flip would be a similar, but smaller version. Just get one with 4 GB of RAM whatever you do.

The Iron Rose posted:

Generally speaking it's way better to get a manufacturer warranty rather than a third party, as no manufacturer is going to screw you over for that sorta thing.

Say what you will over the poo poo quality of Lenovo ideapads, they gave me a total of four product replacements, literally dozens of repairs and part replacements, and an additional three years of warranty service. All without me paying a dime.

I will say, my Ideapad Y500 is in mint condition after a few years, and despite gentle handling and limited use, the HDD (1 TB, it also came with a 16 GB mSATA SSD for caching) apparently started to fail. So, I replaced it with a 960 GB 2.5" SSD I already had and a 120 GB mSATA SSD for the new OS drive that I had removed after upgrading another system. A little disappointing to have the HDD fail like that, but I didn't lose any data and I end up with a better-equipped system at no extra cost to me. I'm happy with the Ideapad so far, so either I got lucky or they're just fragile (for others,) but I can't really not recommend them after my experience. :shrug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I mean I definitely treat laptops somewhat rougher than the norm - note taking and college work will wear anything down. Mind you, when I say rougher, I never dropped or tripped over the laptop or held it by the hinge. I just mean that it got used.

But even so, I really wasn't exaggerating about the 4 product replacements, nor the fact that it was literally dozens of repair requests over the lot. It was at least over 30. I'm very happy that it's been a good system to you, and I remember a year or two back when the Y50 was a solid recommendation for a cheap gaming laptop!

But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my multitude of issues with that computer.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oh I'm sure that the Ideapads are nowhere near as durable as Thinkpads, but I personally bought it as a semi-portable gaming system that had a great price:performance ratio. I know some people have just one system, but I never intended on it being my EDC laptop and never lugged it around all day; that's why I advocate Chromebooks because they do that so much better.

I'll admit, though, that while my Y500 has been good to me, all of the horror stories about other Ideapads makes me reluctant to buy another one, despite what I had just posted.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atomizer posted:

I think these two fit that description:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084V5FOI/

This is the one I'd go with having used similar products in the past. I had a gaming laptop in the late 00's that went from stuttering garbage to super fast just by using a laptop cooler like that one.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My question remains if Asurion does reasonably good coverage/repair/diagnosis times for laptops.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

signalnoise posted:

This is the one I'd go with having used similar products in the past. I had a gaming laptop in the late 00's that went from stuttering garbage to super fast just by using a laptop cooler like that one.

Thanks for the input. I was aware of the Targus one, but I was worried because the reviews on newegg are pretty critical of them. Unfortunately, Targus seems to be the only one who knows how to design something that fits my criteria. Was hoping someone here had some other product to recommend that I'd not seen yet, but it looks like that's a no. Oh well, I'll just take my chances with the Targus and I'll jury rig it if something isn't right. Thank you both!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Broose posted:

Thanks for the input. I was aware of the Targus one, but I was worried because the reviews on newegg are pretty critical of them. Unfortunately, Targus seems to be the only one who knows how to design something that fits my criteria. Was hoping someone here had some other product to recommend that I'd not seen yet, but it looks like that's a no. Oh well, I'll just take my chances with the Targus and I'll jury rig it if something isn't right. Thank you both!

I think the thing to remember here is that you're not getting a heatsink. You're getting something that pulls air away from the existing heat dispersal of the laptop you've got. You might actually want to take a look at your laptop's exhaust because if there's no exhaust on the bottom then you're pretty boned to begin with in the laptop cooler department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

So unless one of the new Mac options that comes out today blows me out of the water, I’m planning on getting a 12-14 inch machine—ideally with the i7-7500U and with 256gb SSD. The two options that I’m really considering so far are one of the new Dell XPS 13s or the new Razer Blade Stealth. It looks like the price for models with the i7-7500U is more or less the same (~1250-1300) so I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions based on:

--Screen quality (not going with the 4k display on either option)

--Keyboard/build quality (do either feel like a piece of junk?)

--Warranty support/ease of RMA (plan on purchasing manufacturer’s warranty, I hear Razer might be less-than-ideal with support)

If there are any other machines that are similar spec/price-wise that I haven’t considered and should, I’d appreciate the help.

motherbox fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 27, 2016