Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not unexpected:

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/791289806424727552

I am however surprised that Shawna Cox doesn't have some insane thing to file already.

It takes her a while to write that many words, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Please do something about this juror I passed for cause.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks like they will be replacing that juror with an alternate.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Welp, looks like we can bump the verdict out a day or two at minimum.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791343915362160640

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791346061189128192

Here we go again~~~

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's the right choice. It completely stifles the chance of appeal on this point. It's frustrating for the jurors and all, but it's for the best.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If anything they'll probably have some anger at the defense now.

Declare a mistrial! The jurors are biased against us for jerking them around!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Judge Brown is tired of this poo poo clogging up her court room, demands jury work OT.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791346623360045056

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So if you get jury duty and one of the other jurors annoys you, just send a handwritten note to the judge accusing them of bias. The judge can't ignore the accusation, and can't ask questions to figure out if you're full of poo poo.

This was an overly defensive move on her part. The decision whether to disqualify a juror is left to the discretion of the trial court and reviewed on a very deferential standard. She was not convinced based on her interview with the juror that he was biased. She leaned on the prosecution to stipulate. That is not really "good cause." It would be one thing if the juror had lied or hid his past. He did not. Defense counsel knew he worked for BLM and failed to get rid of him. You're not entitled to a jury with zero members who have any biases of any kind, you're entitled to a jury that can act impartially in spite of any biases. It's not even clear the guy said anything wrong. Acknowledging the existence of a bias and working past it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I can understand where she is coming from - every possible avenue of appeal will be pursued as more or less a recreational endeavor. So maybe this was ultimately the correct path. But it is frustrating.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Knowing how SovCits work, why did the prosecution let this guy on the jury?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Casimir Radon posted:

Knowing how SovCits work, why did the prosecution let this guy on the jury?

No one has real access to the mind of a sovcit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

No one has real access to the mind of a sovcit.
This is a clear instance of something they would probably throw a fit over at an inopportune time.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's the right choice. It completely stifles the chance of appeal on this point. It's frustrating for the jurors and all, but it's for the best.

my concern is the sovcit on the jury is going to be emboldened by getting juror 11 punished for not being a True Patriot and continue to derail since it's clear he's been successful.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Oct 26, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mirthless posted:

my concern is the sovcit on the jury is going to be emboldened by getting juror 11 punished for not being a True Patriot and continue to derail since it's clear he's been successful.

If there's a SovCit on the jury, that is. Sure, another juror reported juror 11, but that could just as easily be someone feeling they're doing their duty, not necessarily a SovCit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kazak_Hstan posted:

So if you get jury duty and one of the other jurors annoys you, just send a handwritten note to the judge accusing them of bias. The judge can't ignore the accusation, and can't ask questions to figure out if you're full of poo poo.

This was an overly defensive move on her part. The decision whether to disqualify a juror is left to the discretion of the trial court and reviewed on a very deferential standard. She was not convinced based on her interview with the juror that he was biased. She leaned on the prosecution to stipulate. That is not really "good cause." It would be one thing if the juror had lied or hid his past. He did not. Defense counsel knew he worked for BLM and failed to get rid of him. You're not entitled to a jury with zero members who have any biases of any kind, you're entitled to a jury that can act impartially in spite of any biases. It's not even clear the guy said anything wrong. Acknowledging the existence of a bias and working past it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I can understand where she is coming from - every possible avenue of appeal will be pursued as more or less a recreational endeavor. So maybe this was ultimately the correct path. But it is frustrating.

Unless we know the exact questions asked in voire dire or in chambers it is hard to know.
If he said he'd be unbiased in voire dire (which I assume he did or he'd have been cause kicked) and actually said exactly what the other jurors said he did, it would be hard to kick him.

Given that there are 1-2 competent attorneys in the room, I have to imagine he got voired on bias based on his employment anday not have been fully truthful. Jurors lie their balls off by omission in voire dire all the time and it often isn't even intentional.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The longest I ever had to wait for a verdict was 6 hours and I was absolutely useless during it. How do you stay plinking away at other files right now?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading a fair bit into the sense of the courtroom from last night, at least as reported on twitter. It seemed like she was leaning against dismissing him after talking to him, and then decided she just wanted to get rid of the issue after getting Mumford's motion.

It is ultimately probably a minor issue. I'm just irritated there always has to be some extra tedious bullshit everyone has to tip toe around with these people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
Quite frankly, if that note came out of any jury room, the judge would lean toward kicking unless some strong facts were given against it.
This isn't a special treatment thing, it would have in some random DUI if someone randomly told the jury "hey guys I'm biased against drunks."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The longest I ever had to wait for a verdict was 6 hours and I was absolutely useless during it. How do you stay plinking away at other files right now?

Shitposting on SA is what I did.
My office was always in or next door to the courthouse, so it is a great time to do mindless motion catchup.
One time I had 3 back to back trials, so I litterally walked down the hallway to the next courtroom and started voire dire.

nm has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It has to be even worse for her: as any kind of actual professional, having listen to these idiots try their magic spells out for months has to be a soul-breaking experience.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I lost track of this pack of clowns a while back. It looks like someone's trial is wrapping up? Multiple people? Whose rear end is grass? Will anyone be rightfully executed for treason?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can't arzy over the election since Clinton's going to probably win by 5+ points, time to arzy over yall qaeda members being found not guilty by reason of American Stupidity.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I was the Red Forman for a civil thing. I suggested we work through lunch on the assumption we'd have a number by the end of the day. It took about an hour. We were just giving them a number for damages since one of the parties admitted they hosed up.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't arzy over the election since Clinton's going to probably win by 5+ points, time to arzy over yall qaeda members being found not guilty by reason of American Stupidity.

:same:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Regular Nintendo posted:

I lost track of this pack of clowns a while back. It looks like someone's trial is wrapping up? Multiple people? Whose rear end is grass? Will anyone be rightfully executed for treason?

the big trial with all the malheur defendants has gone to the jury. the jury sent some notes to the judge asking her questions, so we're all theorycrafting what's going on in the jury deliberations

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
To summarize, a jury is judging those Bundy hicks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A jury is judging the Y'all Quaeda family and trying to see if they can give Kylo Meth the psychiatric help he needs by divorcing him from the fate of the Teahaddists.

Juror 4 is rumored to be Ammonsexual since they raised a question about another Juror's previous employment at the BLM and placed that Juror's bias into the spotlight. The defendant's probably felt they had their smoking gun fringed flag overturned by gross misconduct appeal moment thanks to it.

Judge is sick of this poo poo so they've brought in an U. N. Agenda Bilderberg/Soros funded plant alternate juror to sort out the mess. They've also been ordered to work OT on getting this out so the dumb fucks can't deliver any more waste of time :airquote: official documentation:airquote: asking the judge to step down because she's secretly biased against patriots and also violated the hand-written 50 page Article of Aggrieved Discourse stating that :/Person:\ of the CLAN \;Family;/, sound of body and spirit heretoforewith mentioned IN THE ::FLESH:: and +BLOOD-....:agesilaus:

Everyone is :bang::argh::burger::kingsley::jerky: because the length of time means that the jury has received the Shofar-coded communique to engage in Jury Nullification and deliver weapons to the Malheuroes so they can deal sweet Finicum-style justice to the court of disorder the jury is likely considering and discussing every charge brought against the Teahaddists so that there's no doubt they're proper turbofucked.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Schindler_Mat/status/791427156303683584

They might have thrown out a sympathetic juror hehe

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yall Quaeda
Vanilla ISIS

Good names ITT

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yokel Haram
Talibundy
Meal Team Six
Yeehawdists

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This would be so perfect.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
Walmartyrs
Talibanjo
Felons

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Teahadists

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

lol meal team six

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vanilla Isis and Talibundy are my favorite.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

It's all a clever ploy to get the ineffective counsel-based appeal to stick

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

D'ohesh

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006