Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Platystemon posted:

How did we learn this?

I mean, why even tell the doctor? Just stop doing it.

They had to go to the doctor because the brother kept doing it even after his first round of infections that required medical intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

How did we learn this?

I mean, why even tell the doctor? Just stop doing it.

The brother in questions was 12 years old. :gonk: He didn't want to stop, he wanted to shove things up his peepee.

At first the goon suspicion was that it was a sounding fetish. And some goons were all "that's not too bad if it's done with clean safe equipment. If he won't stop maybe get him some proper probes that can be sterilized and . . . " trying to be sex positive or some poo poo. The the bloody bike pump was found and, "oh gently caress it's an inflation fetish there is no loving way for that to be safe, get your brother into psychiatric care tonight!!!"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Isn't it a lot easier to inflate your bladder by simply refraining from urination?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

DrBouvenstein posted:

:stonk:

A lot fo hospitals have stopped using NIBP machines that use luer connectors for that reason.

WHY GOD WHY. WHYYYYY. HOWWWWW.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

god drat thats how they went out? Like, slowly drowned to death stuck under the raft??!

At least waterslide kid got decapitated. this on the other hand, yeesh. It'd be like drowning on the small world ride. It's supposed to be a happy place :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No they got mangled by the conveyor belt, which is much better.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Not just mangled but intertwined - I believe that had to use heavy machinery to disassemble the whole thing.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mozi posted:

Not just mangled but intertwined - I believe that had to use heavy machinery to disassemble the whole thing.

"Injuries incompatible with life"

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Good lord. So when I hear conveyor belt, I'm picturing the standard belt like affair; this isn't the case this time though I'm guess, right?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

think more like a tracked vehicle like a bulldozer

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
must have been a pretty hosed up show for the guys in the seats elevated above the raft

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

must have been a pretty hosed up show for the guys in the seats elevated above the raft

Dont worry, it was a pair of 10 and 12 year old kids, they'll be fine, kids shrug that stuff off :ohdear:

DrBouvenstein posted:

You can see where this is going:

I went to find the full article and fuuuuuck

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/TubingandLuerMisconnections/ucm313275.htm

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seeing your parents turned into ground pork while you're strapped to a chair forced to watch builds character.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Professor of Cats posted:

Good lord. So when I hear conveyor belt, I'm picturing the standard belt like affair; this isn't the case this time though I'm guess, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btmi_5bi04I&t=182s

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powershift posted:

Seeing your parents turned into ground pork while you're strapped to a chair forced to watch builds character.

Not to mention everyone else on the river watching the water slowly turn red

I've seen horror movies, I know how this works

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

jesus loving christ

e: My brain is thankfully not able to visualize or comprehend the possible damages here; and I'm okay with this.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

jesus loving christ

e: My brain is thankfully not able to visualize or comprehend the possible damages here; and I'm okay with this.

Probably like the stuck in a lathe videos, only slower.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Wasn't the photographer killed by a brick in this one? :ohdear:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

jesus loving christ

well, if someone was caught between the weight of the raft and one of the longitudinal belts, ground chuck. if you were ejected and didn't get lucky and fall all the way through, any part of your body hanging below the latitudinal beams would get sheared off by the stationary frame beneath, before the rest of you got chewed up being forced past and under the raft.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

well, if someone was caught between the weight of the raft and one of the longitudinal belts, ground chuck. if you were ejected and didn't get lucky and fall all the way through, any part of your body hanging below the latitudinal beams would get sheared off by the stationary frame beneath, before the rest of you got chewed up being forced past and under the raft.

This is goddamned nightmare material. It doesn't help that I have that weird underwater+machinery phobia as well. It makes me physically ill. Not to mention to even begin to fathom what those poor kids went through. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. My heart just hurts for them.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Volcott posted:

I wonder who covers workplace safety at CERN?

I was a safety officer at CERN when I was a grad student. It's an interesting mix of grad students, postdocs, and hourly paid staffers.

Since it's either an office park aboveground or a radioactive zone in the tunnels the security is really different. Anything underground is really well regulated and maintained.

That said, someone did die during the construction of the LHC (hourly construction worker) who "bent" the rules and was crushed. It was by a bunch of wiring I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CASE STUDY

A patient’s feeding tube was inadvertently connected to the instillation port on the ventilator in-line suction catheter
Tube feeding was delivered into the patient’s lungs
The patient died

CASE STUDY

A patient was found with her Foley catheter disconnected from its drainage bag. One end of the catheter was still in her bladder and the other end was connected to her nasogastric (NG) tube
Urine was noted to be flowing into her NG tube
The NG tube was connected to suction and more than 300 mL of urine drained
The patient’s vital signs were stable and her laboratory results were within normal limits

CASE STUDY

A child had both a gastric feeding tube for nutrition and an IV for medicine and hydration
When the child’s gown was changed, a family member inadvertently attached the IV tubing to the gastric feeding tube
The medicine was delivered through the feeding tube into the stomach
There was no patient harm since the event was noted in a timely manner

yaagh

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Case study

Don't touch the tubes of those you love, let a mostly trained nurse do it.. but ask questions of what they are hooking where I guess?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Sounds to me like the hoses are way too similar, even if they're only a bit similar. make them completely different, don't expect trained professionals to be competent ever.

This has been Forums Safety Consultant Splode with his ~expert opinion~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It does seem like a pretty dumb oversight, and a solved problem in most other industries. For instance, on oxyacetylene torch rigs, the oxygen fittings use right-handed threads and the fuel fittings are left-handed, so it's physically impossible to attach the connections backwards and cause an explosion. Surely it's even more important to have some kind of non-interchangeable irreversible fitting when you're literally piping fluids in and out of a person's body?

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Mozi posted:

crikey!

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
I think people are starting to give less shits what with the economy and all the war and the lovely political parties and the economy and stuff and more and more people are starting to get ground up by the unrelenting logic of our economy

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

dookifex_maximus posted:

I think people are starting to give less shits what with the economy and all the war and the lovely political parties and the economy and stuff and more and more people are starting to get ground up by the unrelenting logic of our economy

:2bong:

What was this even supposed to mean

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
that we're in a kind of global funk and people are starting to care less, or perhaps they're coming to accept that caring less is more gainful

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

nah humans have always been pretty inattentive

nonetheless,

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird to me that a urinary catheter and an oxygen machine have connectors that can mate

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dookifex_maximus posted:

There were some folks that got grounded up that other day...

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I have that weird underwater+machinery phobia as well

:suicide::hf::barf: Same although I only just got mine in the last 2 days.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Sagebrush posted:

It does seem like a pretty dumb oversight, and a solved problem in most other industries. For instance, on oxyacetylene torch rigs, the oxygen fittings use right-handed threads and the fuel fittings are left-handed, so it's physically impossible to attach the connections backwards and cause an explosion. Surely it's even more important to have some kind of non-interchangeable irreversible fitting when you're literally piping fluids in and out of a person's body?

Maybe the solution is to colour code the connectors, or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Maybe the solution is to colour code the connectors, or something.

They almost certainly are colour-coded. Colour-coding doesn't prevent people from making mistakes, especially when they're at the end of a 48-hour shift or whatever they have medical residents doing these days.

The solution is to make it physically impossible to connect the wrong ones and have stuff start flowing. That's a few cents more expensive per-unit though, which is why it doesn't happen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xergm posted:

Wasn't the photographer killed by a brick in this one? :ohdear:

Yep. I can't remember if the rush of debris crushed him or if he suffered blunt force trauma injuries, but he filmed his own death.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He was crushed by the sadness of not getting to see all the likes on the video

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

You say that like physically impossible fittings have ever stopped someone going to the shop and connecting a bunch of makeups together until you can mate anything to anything. Maybe less so on oxyacetylene torches, because presumably the person is trained on oxyacetylene torches and knows why the fittings are the way they are. But in general cases like piped breathing air or potable water where special fittings are in place to prevent thoughtless connections, it doesn't take long until you find something where you're like they connected what to what?????? Or find cheater makeups that mate the special fittings to a flange at which point the hose and piping world is your oyster.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Someone made this out of parts that shouldn't connect together. By comparison, cramming two tubes together should be trivial. I mean, kids do it all the time with the plastic straws at fast food places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Someone made this out of parts that shouldn't connect together. By comparison, cramming two tubes together should be trivial. I mean, kids do it all the time with the plastic straws at fast food places.

That requires a lot of wiresplicing and poo poo that goes way beyond the range of accident.

What I'm trying to say is if someone just jams two tubes together regardless that would be homocide at that point since that's beyond accident