Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wacky Delly posted:

There's more iron on that screenshot than I've ever found in the games I've started.

There's more everything in that screenshot than I've ever seen in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jastiger posted:

Strategic resources seem really rare in this game. On one hand i appreciate that it encourages conflict and thats good. On the other, im pretty sure there should be more than 3 oil on the entire map. How frustrating as the game becomes a mad dash for a useless tile in the snow becauss it's the only one a city can be reliably settled on.

The "suitable sites to found a city" logic seems incredibly picky. I'd like to follow the computer's recommendations, but there are so few of them. :doom:

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I have yet to find any reason to trust that icon. Not only does it give so few options, but the options it does give seem completely wrong. Should I post my city next to this river with rice, diamond, stone, close to the coast with whales and fish? "No, settle 4 spaces away from all that next to the rocky coast with no resources showing and no good water source."

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

He lost a religious victory to the AI. Took me three reloads to figure out what happened when I saw it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I could be talking out my rear end, but I vaguely remember reading that in Civ V, the city recommending icon would have access to information you didn't - namely, the availability of resources that you haven't revealed via research yet. Is it possible that something similar exists in VI, or am I just wrong in both games?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Geight posted:

I could be talking out my rear end, but I vaguely remember reading that in Civ V, the city recommending icon would have access to information you didn't - namely, the availability of resources that you haven't revealed via research yet. Is it possible that something similar exists in VI, or am I just wrong in both games?

It definitely wasn't suggesting anything that would get me coal or oil, both of which I needed. :argh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Efexeye posted:

He lost a religious victory to the AI. Took me three reloads to figure out what happened when I saw it.

https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/791505878704807936

?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

The "suitable sites to found a city" logic seems incredibly picky. I'd like to follow the computer's recommendations, but there are so few of them. :doom:

The game is usually flexible enough you dont have to follow it. But its frustrating to finally find oil and its in the middle of 6 snow tiles or off a single tile island with no other bonus resources.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Too weird. When I got that Defeat screen with no explanation, that's what it was for me. He should reload a turn before the loss and look at the score.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Efexeye posted:

Speaking of that, if you don't care about religion in your strategy and didn't found one, and the civ who has proselytised your cities is close to winning a religious victory, do you even have a way to counter that? You can't inquisite your own religion, right? Maybe there should be a militant atheist unit you can recruit in the modern era or something

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The best thing I can think of is basically building a holy site anyways to get some mercenaries if you have a city of a weaker religion.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rexides posted:

Speaking of that, if you don't care about religion in your strategy and didn't found one, and the civ who has proselytised your cities is close to winning a religious victory, do you even have a way to counter that? You can't inquisite your own religion, right? Maybe there should be a militant atheist unit you can recruit in the modern era or something

You could destroy them in a conventional war.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rexides posted:

Murder them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You can just stack low level military units on city-center adjacent tiles too right

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Niwrad posted:

Yup, I think the strategy is to wipe out a Civ or two on your continent early and then just play for culture the rest of the way out. The home continent combat strength bonus makes defending a little easier.

Roland Jones posted:

A very American strategy.

Never not employ Manifest Destiny :hist101:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

GoGoGadget posted:

Am I the only one that turns off every victory condition and turn limits and just plays the game to see what happens? I think I've completed maybe 3 games across my Civ career (not including CivRev, there was no way to not win or lose in that.)

I have always turned off victory conditions ever since that was an option. Going for a win in Civ games is boring, I just play until I'm done with the current game.

To me, Civ is more of an RPG. Sub-optimal plays can be very fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rexides posted:

That happened to me in my Greg game with Ghandi so I wiped him off the map just before he was able to convert the last civ.

In my first game nobody got enough going to make it anything worth worrying about. It was on a continents map as opposed to the above being on a pangea so I wonder if that has something to do with it?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

Remember how the older Civ gamed had a replay feature at the End Game screen and you could watch turn by turn who expanded when and where? That was cool.

Lol

It's just not possible anymore.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Everything looks so busy in this game. Civ 5 had a nominally more "realistic" feel, so the Civ 6 visuals with cartoony shortcuts should be streamlined and easier to get oriented in than the previous game... But in reality I feel like there is so much poo poo on the screen at all times, my eyes sometimes just defocus. Objects and textures are much less distinct from their surroundings, everything is blending together.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

steinrokkan posted:

So I have gone into my first major defensive war. The enemy has about a dozen units, including siege machines, near my city which is defended by a single crossbow and a knight. So far they have been just rearranging their formation turn after turn and only once managed to attack my exposed knight at all. Meanwhile they've lost a bunch of units themselves. I'm getting annoyed, it's obvious that the AI can't handle taking damage without immediately scrapping its plans.

I watched the Aztecs bounce Eagle Warriors off a city state for like a thousand years, city state was defended by a bunch of catapults that never fired because the Aztecs would damage the ones up front and the AI would then shuffle those ones to the rear and bring new ones up front.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just came across a weird bug,

I'm nearing end-game as America, going for a space/science victory. Earlier in the game, Rome attacked me with hilariously overmatched units, so I quickly rolled over all of his cities on my continent including Rome. He eventually sued for peace, letting me keep these cities.

Peter had been going for a cultural victory, so I had a couple of my spies loot all of his museums. This has boosted my own culture/tourism score to the point where I'm now in first place (but still a long, long ways off from winning this condition). Anyway, after getting to the point where I only need to top Peter, I got a "victory condition eminent!" warning from the game that Rome was only one culture away from winning! But...I control Rome and the roman civ is two back water cities at this point with essentially 0 tourism.

Oh and it never gave me a victory condition warning when Peter was one civ away (mine) from winning a religious victory.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Geight posted:

This was widely believed but I think it was disproven.

At the very least, your border expansion doesn't prioritize strategic resources that haven't been revealed yet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

This was widely believed but I think it was disproven.

At the very least, your border expansion doesn't prioritize strategic resources that haven't been revealed yet.

I've always understood in Civ that the computer player doesn't have access to any more information than it should, but the advantage is that it checks the state of every tile, every unit, everything, every turn. (which isn't really related to what you posted now that I reread it). However, I haven't trusted those recommended city spots since Civ 2.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 27, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

steinrokkan posted:

Everything looks so busy in this game. Civ 5 had a nominally more "realistic" feel, so the Civ 6 visuals with cartoony shortcuts should be streamlined and easier to get oriented in than the previous game... But in reality I feel like there is so much poo poo on the screen at all times, my eyes sometimes just defocus. Objects and textures are much less distinct from their surroundings, everything is blending together.

Is there a way to see and work with all your military units? I wanted to upgrade everybody yesterday, but had to go from city to city clicking on units like some kind of caveman.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

prefect posted:

Is there a way to see and work with all your military units? I wanted to upgrade everybody yesterday, but had to go from city to city clicking on units like some kind of caveman.

If you click the unit name (at the bottom right of the screen) you'll get a list of all your units.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Efexeye posted:

If you click the unit name (at the bottom right of the screen) you'll get a list of all your units.

I will note that down in my "stuff I don't understand about Civ 6" file, thankyewverymuch. :tipshat:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Powercrazy posted:

It's just not possible anymore.

It wasn't in Civ5 until people complained and then it got added in. It's a strange choice not to add it for this with that fact in mind!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taear posted:

It wasn't in Civ5 until people complained and then it got added in. It's a strange choice not to add it for this with that fact in mind!

Yea. Honestly that is my biggest disappointment with civ6 so far, many of these basic features like turn 1 restarts, your path through history, even giving you a score and comparing you to a historical leader aren't present for some reason. It shows a lack of polish which belies other deeper issues. Obviously the AI trade deals are just the tip of the iceberg. It feels like the game was rushed and released as is, with full knowledge that it was ready yet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Taear posted:

They were quite clearly pressed for time so a feature like that which the majority of people never do anything with was probably never a big priority. Given infinite time I'm sure the devs would've loved nothing more but to bring in as many features as possible, but being in a rush to get the game in a shippable state before the deadline shows through so clearly in VI that "They didn't have the time" is a far more likely explanation for many things than "They didn't feel like it".

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Taear posted:

If I had one wish for the game it would be no bonuses for other cities from your districts. Because I think city carpets are ugly as hell and I don't want to HAVE to build them.
I'm a tall player and so far Civ6 is quite annoying for that.

I'm guessing you started with Civ 5? Everyone was a tall player in vanilla Civ 5.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kanfy posted:

They were quite clearly pressed for time so a feature like that which the majority of people never do anything with was probably never a big priority. Given infinite time I'm sure the devs would've loved nothing more but to bring in as many features as possible, but being in a rush to get the game in a shippable state before the deadline shows through so clearly in VI that "They didn't have the time" is a far more likely explanation for many things than "They didn't feel like it".

As somebody who paid money for a product, I don't care what their excuse is.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I'm guessing you started with Civ 5? Everyone was a tall player in vanilla Civ 5.

I think in the base game there was an optimal ICS actually

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm just extra frustrated because I was big into Civ 5, and seeing the exact same issues in 6 makes me nervous that they won't be fixed. If I was seeing new issues, I'd be a bit more optimistic.

Same here. Civ 6 feels like the same game as Civ 5 but with some different graphics and minor shuffling around of rules and features. I think if something is still broken from Civ 5, it's going to remain broken. They haven't put much effort into the strategic AI in over a decade. I still think it'll get tightened up a bunch and balanced like their previous versions do. This version does feel more polished than 4 and 5 at launch if my memory serves me. But some of the bigger issues from Civ 5 are likely stuck with this series for the foreseeable future.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think in the base game there was an optimal ICS actually

I thought it wasn't until the first expansion did ICS really take over.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I got the great scientist who reveals an oil resource when activated. I wasn't really sure whether his ability revealed oil that was already on the map or it created one, so I moved him to the inner part of my territory just in case and presto, an oil resource was revealed not far from where I used him. Unfortunately this doesn't really answer my question and I didn't think to reload an autosave and try it in a different spot to see what happened. Any idea which it is?

Also the new movement system sucks poo poo and makes the game feel like molasses. I won't dispute that the UI is god awful, but I think the movement system is worse.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

steinrokkan posted:

As somebody who paid money for a product, I don't care what their excuse is.

Sure, I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to complain about it, but it's just being realistic. The most likely scenario is that the lack of polish and cool smaller features like that is the price that got paid for the game launching with so many different gameplay systems, and getting those done and then making sure they didn't horribly explode ate up the majority of time and effort.

They probably should've delayed the release by half a year or somesuch, but obviously with releases this major it's out of the developers' hands. Hopefully now that they're over the biggest hurdle they can spend time getting all the rough edges smoothed out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KyloWinter posted:

I

I must confess, my Civ playing waned a bit during 3, 4, and 5. What is "ICS"?

:corsair:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I

Yeah that's a more accurate portrayal.

prefect posted:

Infinite City Sprawl. It was a big deal in civ 3, since then games have been conscious to avoid it and players have been quick to reference it. It's nowhere near as bad in 4, 5 or 6 where it generally means "A lot of cities" or "no real loss to founding more cities"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

prefect posted:

Infinite City Spam (building a city every 3 tiles)

I have hopes that some of this QoL stuff will get cleaned up because it did for BE, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spakstik posted:

Also the new movement system sucks poo poo and makes the game feel like molasses. I won't dispute that the UI is god awful, but I think the movement system is worse.

I'm not saying you're wrong but any time I see a comment like this it amuses me because the new system is how I always assumed it worked in the first place (making you pay the extra movement when entering a tile instead of leaving it) because it makes about a billion times more sense.