Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Preaching to the choir here but I was doing a lot of agreeing reading this:

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/26/498850659/what-s-more-distracting-than-a-noisy-coworker-not-much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I do a conference call a couple days a week with a client, typically there's four or five of these same people on it, and one of them keeps breathing loudly into his headset.

"So ticket *MMMMMPPPPPPHHHHHFFFFFFFMMMMMM* looked into *MMMMMMMMPPPPPPPHHHHHHHMMMMMMFFFFFFF* so we need to since it's *MMMMMMPPPPPPFFFFFHHHHHHHHHH* it's awful. He's like full volume Vader. And when I ask everyone to mute themselves, and specifically mention the breathing, no one listens and it continues. I have a list of each people on each call, and I'm trying to find the common person so I can figure out who it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a list like that, but I'm using it to narrow down whoever keeps firehosing all over the toilet

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

vibur posted:

Public as in publicly-traded? Aren't you SOX-regulated then?

Ding ding!

Ain't gonna be me standing in front of the board explaining why we can't pass an audit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Retard customer service reps asking customers for their credit card numbers AGAIN because 'we only have the last 4 numbers'

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I do a conference call a couple days a week with a client, typically there's four or five of these same people on it, and one of them keeps breathing loudly into his headset.

"So ticket *MMMMMPPPPPPHHHHHFFFFFFFMMMMMM* looked into *MMMMMMMMPPPPPPPHHHHHHHMMMMMMFFFFFFF* so we need to since it's *MMMMMMPPPPPPFFFFFHHHHHHHHHH* it's awful. He's like full volume Vader. And when I ask everyone to mute themselves, and specifically mention the breathing, no one listens and it continues. I have a list of each people on each call, and I'm trying to find the common person so I can figure out who it is.

Does your conference system have a web application you can log into as host? Then you could see who's doing it, mute his rear end, and mark the number for future reference.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It is extremely critical that you get this server up and running today. Ignore anything else, just get this server up.
"Okay."
~two hours later~
"ESXi is installed, the IP address I was given doesn't work. I can't ping the ESXi host, and I can't ping from them."
Well, [networking guy onsite] disabled pings for that network.
"..."
Oh, and he probably hasn't configured those ports.
"........................................"

e: Hooray, the ports are configured! Now I

quote:

!
vlan 404 name "Companyname Server Network" by port
tagged ethe 1/1/4 ethe 2/1/4
untagged ethe 1/1/8 ethe 2/1/8
!
I am going to murder these assholes.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sickening posted:

My favorite right now is the auto closing of tickets. it appears every time a new tech picks up the ticket they ignore everything in the ticket and check the port status. When the port status is showing up they close the ticket and set and auto close window. What happens when you have a circuit that is experiencing packet loss? :iiam:

The long 48 nightmare is over. Finally got someone who didn't jump ship that knows how layer 3 operates.

The level3/twc acquisition is poo poo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Our bookstore was never owned by the university, but it was a co-op owned by students, faculty, and staff and we helped them out as a courtesy (and they would give us free snacks and drinks as a thank you.) They were recently privatized but kept the same staff. We cannot provide support for a corporate store and if we did their IT people would probably be pissed that we did. They still call us and ask for help; I got a call from our help desk today telling me that "[manager] from the bookstore needs a splitter" (they wanted to install a second monitor and were told that we might have a splitter for them to use, they actually just needed to open the box and plug it in.)

I feel bad for the staff because the store was hosed over by the university and forced to privatize, but they need to stop calling us for help because their IT department doesn't want to send someone down here.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Sickening posted:

The long 48 nightmare is over. Finally got someone who didn't jump ship that knows how layer 3 operates.

The level3/twc acquisition is poo poo.

Now if only I could find someone in Comcast Business's coax side who knows it. On my home CB connection (I do hosting for non-profits as a side gig, and the monitoring for them lives at home) I'm suffering massive packet loss (10-50% from icinga to various hosting services, which of course trips alerts) that starts at around 8pm and ends at around midnight, except on weekends when it can be all day. The loss is also noticeable if I use telephony apps or my phone's wifi calling feature. "Well, the SNR looks good right now at noon, and speed tests check out, so I'm out of ideas." They can't send a tech out during the time that this is happening, because they apparently don't have anyone who isn't working 8-to-5. They're convinced this is an OSI layer 1 problem, and that the node isn't oversubscribed.

Seriously, there's some troubling periodicity to this smokeping graph that I'd give a poo poo about if I were running their network:

(this graph understates the problem, btw)

I tell the phone CSR "I have a smokeping graph you can pull up if you want to see it." "I don't think that'll help."

They keep scheduling truck rolls when I complain and connecting their meter and saying "it's fine right now", and unless I start making "get a fiber drop installed in my apartment" money, I'm basically stuck with this. I miss our regional cable ISP.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Everything about my day today. The fabled 'layer 8' (office politics) has been kicking my rear end. Too much intricacy to exactly my company but it's basically just mad stupid and I had do literally do 3 people's jobs because nobody would step up and figure it out themselves. Jesus christ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At this point I don't believe anybody that works support for an ISP understands anything beyond "lights are on, closing ticket". I've had fibre providers not understand how dumping a /56 of IPv6 space on an interface of their router without either a static route or a routing protocol was no good, and I've had to beg for techs to verify speed/duplex settings on their end when I have kit screaming about a mismatch.

When they get out the way and someone else reluctantly decides to work with me on a problem it's generally solved within minutes, but gently caress me if getting to that point isn't soul destroying.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had to beg for techs to verify speed/duplex settings on their end when I have kit screaming about a mismatch.

Biggest repeat thing that pisses me off. The fact that this is still a possible problem in normal installations. Auto good. Hardcoded bad. I want to smack the poo poo out of every ISP tech who acts like autonegotiation is some unreliable experimental technology.

I know Cisco somehow couldn't get autonegotiation right for way longer than was in any way reasonable and that put this bad idea in everyone's heads, but even they've figured it out since then. There's no good reason to still do it unless the device at the far end is broken and doesn't do it right or you're running something out of spec where you need to force a lower mode than auto might decide on.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Thanks Ants posted:

At this point I don't believe anybody that works support for an ISP understands anything beyond "lights are on, closing ticket".

This is the only reason I've stayed with our current ISP for so long. If I have a problem, I dial the enterprise support number, an engineer picks up the phone within a couple rings, asks me some actual questions that aren't just read from a checklist, and says "give me a few minutes, I'll call you back". And he actually does call back and either lets me know it's fixed, or exactly what the problem is and the ETA. It's nuts (and also very depressing how abnormal this is).

Had a similar experience with DigiCert the other day, man that was nice. I had a bunch of questions about getting an EV code signing cert, and every time I called I had someone on the phone within seconds who could answer every questions I had, and every support email was answered within minutes. And not outsourced support, a real live person in their office in the US, even though I was calling at like 3AM Pacific time. Contrast that with our previous provider Symantec, where I spent two weeks trying to get in touch with anyone regarding the process to changing to an EV cert from our regular one. Just gave up in the end, since they were only open 8-5 Pacific (website says 24x7), and trying to get them to call me or even answer their phone during the short timeframes I was even awake during their opening hours was impossible. And they wouldn't give any useful info over email, just "call us/we'll call you"

And extra added bonuses, DigiCert was almost 50% cheaper, plus they gave us a normal code signing cert for free that we could use during out automated builds, so we only have to manual sign the specific things we want with the EV cert.

JBark fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 27, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

Oh, so it appears the group policy password exploits were across all objects? Now the option to save a password for any feature in active directory is removed? I don't want to script local admin password updates. Then I would have to manually run them or go back to draconian logon scripts. Ugh.

LAPS is the Microsoft recommended solution for local passwords. We use it at all of the new clients. It's a huge security improvement. Service accounts fill in the other needs.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think this is what they are going with, but there's also a mobile client that would introduce a layer of complexity to using a cert, I'm not sure of the details of that, though.

The way the guy explained that his people found it too inconvenient to open an app on their phone and get a code, and would revolt if asked to do so.

With Duo you don't even have to open the app. It has a notification that you click to allow login.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

How do I get users to stop sharing passwords? It seems like it's more common the higher up the chain you go. Not just sharing, WRITING THEM DOWN and passing them like notes in health class. Am I just pissing up a rope to even try?

We had that problem too. It didn't even work pointing out to them how it could be a serious crime (aka: prison time) to share login information to secure networks.
Then we started using the same authentication system ("NemID") that is used nationally for everything from home banking to taxes to legally signing documents. If people want to share that with each other there's not much else we can do.

Shortly after we got a rush of tickets requesting access to all kinds of different systems. Turns out people do care about security.. when it's protecting their own money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love how we hire people based on "they could use the job" or "they need the experience" instead of "this person is smart and knows the things we work with"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have a web form that all managers are supposed to use for new hires. Tells us the name, department, what permissions they need, blah blah.

Instead I get this loving story submitted as a ticket.

Hello,

With me out Monday at a conference here is the plan for our new intern.

Carol Brady will be sitting in Accounting during the days she is here (M-W-F). She is here all day on those days. Her first day is Monday. She will be asking for the only person she knows at ABC Corp not in HR, John.

Please introduce her around to the admin area. She will be working with Jane all day with a stop in the HR department when they are ready for her.

Monday is a lunch for Halloween, if someone would invite her to sit with them (Mary and Sue and maybe Jane). She knows there is a potluck.

After that, so Wednesday and Friday and from then on she will be sitting in the accounting area either Jane's desk or Mike's desk. We will need to change the phone list so that people can find her at Jane or Mike's phone.

Thanks for all you guys do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

We have a web form that all managers are supposed to use for new hires. Tells us the name, department, what permissions they need, blah blah.

Hello,

Carol Brady will be sitting in Accounting during the days she is here (M-W-F). She is here all day on those days. Her first day is Monday. She will be asking for the only person she knows at ABC Corp not in HR, John.

Please introduce her around to the admin area. She will be working with Jane all day with a stop in the HR department when they are ready for her.

Monday is a lunch for Halloween, if someone would invite her to sit with them (Mary and Sue and maybe Jane). She knows there is a potluck.

After that, so Wednesday and Friday and from then on she will be sitting in the accounting area either Jane's desk or Mike's desk. We will need to change the phone list so that people can find her at Jane or Mike's phone.

Send back a very stock-looking email (if you don't have a template already), linking the proper web form for new hires.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
"Please introduce...." WTF, that's HRs job?!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I am really upset about a printer in shipping for the biller. Requirements "small desk printer"
:clint:Okay how many pages per week do you print?
:downs: I don't know it varies
:clint: Let's go for the high end what's the most you will printer in a day?
:downs: 50, 60, can't be over 100.

Okay spec out a nice small printer designed for 1000pages/week.

I purchased this thing in January. Printer has been jamming like crazy and the user self repairing it. Departments also buy their own printer supplies. So as far as I know this is working like a champ haven't heard a complaint until today, in a meeting asking how I botched that printer so much and they want a new one. I go to the printer after stating what I said.

Pages printed: 237,853

No one else uses this printer, literally, USB no share.

Having it print not at arms reach is unacceptable according to management. Her last printer had been to several departments before ending it's service for 4 years at her desk. No one knows what was there before "same model" they think. Either way the page count is completely was completely unusable since it had never been reset.

gently caress Printers. Also people who can't figure out how much they print and make it my fault that they put 10 years of use on a printer in 10 months.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 27, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do people not realise they are burning through reams of paper?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Hello,

This reads like a third grade word problem riddle.

Where does Carol Brady actually end up sitting and working?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
People who claim to have a problem "all the time", but then can provide exactly 0 details about it...

User called to report their cellphone was making a "clicking noise", and it was happening "all the time" So I start to ask some basic questions...

Me: "Is it an actual click noise, or is the phone just vibrating?"
Derp: "I don't know"
Me: Does the noise sound like other noises the phone makes?
Derp: I don't know..
Me: Is the noise coming from the earpiece or speakerphone?
Derp: I don't know..
Me: Does it happen all the time, or just during calls?
Derp: Not sure...
Me: Is it happening right now?
Derp: Can't hear it...

Welp... You don't appear to actually have a problem then!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress YOU AND YOUR SODA POPS

One of ABC’s core values is caring. That means Amigo cares about you and you care about ABC. That being said, we would like to remind people to pour out their liquid drinks before throwing a container away, in respect for those who empty wastebaskets. The liquid can spill and make a mess. We show that we care about the person emptying the wastebasket by pouring the remaining liquid down the sink.

ABC would also like to remind that we care for our associates choosing to consume a drink that is high in sugar. November is Diabetes Prevention month, and we would like to remind everyone that sugary drinks increases the chance of Type II Diabetes. We will continue to provide an atmosphere that encourages healthy choices. Please think about this and take care of your health.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Where does Carol Brady actually end up sitting and working?

On what day?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Ding ding!

Ain't gonna be me standing in front of the board explaining why we can't pass an audit.
You can always point out to your C-levels that a corporate officer who does not comply with Sarbanes-Oxley can be fined up to $1 million and imprisoned for up to 10 years.

Bob Morales posted:

ABC would also like to remind that we care for our associates choosing to consume a drink that is high in sugar. November is Diabetes Prevention month, and we would like to remind everyone that sugary drinks increases the chance of Type II Diabetes. We will continue to provide an atmosphere that encourages healthy choices. Please think about this and take care of your health.
I can't put my finger on why but this would send me into a rage.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

pixaal posted:

Pages printed: 237,853

:stonk: I take about 5 days to burn through a ream of paper, and that's IF I'm printing a stack of forms. Probably closer to 7 or 8 workdays before I have to open a new pack.

How the gently caress do you print 476 reams of paper in 10 months? That's like 11 reams a week...2 reams a day...what the gently caress is this person doing?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress YOU AND YOUR SODA POPS

One of ABC’s core values is caring. That means Amigo cares about you and you care about ABC. That being said, we would like to remind people to pour out their liquid drinks before throwing a container away, in respect for those who empty wastebaskets. The liquid can spill and make a mess. We show that we care about the person emptying the wastebasket by pouring the remaining liquid down the sink.

Both these things are completely reasonable?

Sugar water makes a loving mess, especially if it starts to dry before you get to it.

And ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure or whatever; sugar water is awful for you and you should really stop drinking it. Do you get your healthcare through your company? If so, they especially have an incentive to encourage healthy practices (i.e. "wellness"). Cutting sugar intake is a small thing that can play a big role in your overall health. If you don't agree then that's perfectly fine for you; just ignore it move on.

vibur posted:

I can't put my finger on why but this would send me into a rage.

Guilt. You know you're harming yourself but don't want to admit it. :v:

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 27, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

D34THROW posted:

:stonk: I take about 5 days to burn through a ream of paper, and that's IF I'm printing a stack of forms. Probably closer to 7 or 8 workdays before I have to open a new pack.

How the gently caress do you print 476 reams of paper in 10 months? That's like 11 reams a week...2 reams a day...what the gently caress is this person doing?

I'd check out their garbage can, I get it has about 2 reams of paper in it a day.

When I worked at a hedge fund of 40 people, they had two high end huge document centers, and would print thousands of pages a day of reports and earning statements. We'd burn through a set of toner cartridges week. They had these two huge recycle bins that would fill up in the first couple hours of each day. They just printed them up, used them in a morning meeting and threw them away.

Huge waste. Also a huge load on their exchange server, since they'd get these PDF emailed from various research firms. It was a gigantic hassle.

Ironically enough, I now work for a company that is helping all these research firms modernize their publication and make them more digitial. The biggest impediment to that is that the firms themselves are full of crusty old brokers that want the paper reports still.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

D34THROW posted:

Printing packing lists for everything we ship, entire order + package in each package. Then a copy of all this mess also goes into our hard copy system. Then there is some other stuff I guess? Their job is to print hard copies of stuff. I had recently started at the time I specced the printer out so I had no idea what anyone did or what we were attempting to accomplish and was left with asking a user who just said "I don't know" to everything. I think there is also a picking papers that get printed start of day non stop until she starts billing. The thing is constantly running.

I want to get a full office standing copier and put the output tray next to her desk. This is seen as unacceptable. It's the only thing that will do the job that isn't get 2 nice printers 1 for each shipping line print to the shipping line for half, and the 2nd copy print into a deep tray by the filing cabinet on a 3rd printer so it can be filed end of day. Nope it has to never leave her sight or something. Management backs everything she says in regards to the printer, but I can't get a budget that would allow me to get what is needed. That and she hides the drat thing under a shelf so a bigger printer wont fit, even though the last one was bigger I assumed it was because it was from another department before and it was retired based on the given usage count.

I'm likely going to just get her a robust printer that probably shouldn't be on a desk for 1 user but C levels love to put on a side table in their office to look important even though they only print 20 pages a month and could be serviced by a small printer for all their private printing needs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Both these things are completely reasonable?

Sugar water makes a loving mess, especially if it starts to dry before you get to it.

I understand the not throwing a full cup of mt dew in the trash but "think about drinking pop" thing is just so weird.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the impersonal talking down at the drones tone of the memo that makes it infuriating.

"We're not going to tell you to do this thing because we'd get instantly sued if we tried, but we can sure skirt around it and make it really clear that we sure would like everyone to do it."

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I understand the not throwing a full cup of mt dew in the trash but "think about drinking pop" thing is just so weird.
I was thinking the same thing. It's reasonable from their point of view to be sure but, at the same time, mind your own loving business.

Admittedly, my view is skewed right now because my soon-to-be-ex-boss is one of those all-illnesses-come-from-what-you-eat people and it drives me nuts. No, my cubital tunnel problems cannot be solved just by consuming less sugar and more magnesium. No, local honey is not going to cure my allergies.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

D34THROW posted:

He's on a personal crusade to kill all forests.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am a embedded Linux engineer. I am going to try to convince my boss I need a surface studio. :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Our poor copy monkey is easily running 10-12 reams/week on one tired-rear end Toshiba MFP. And this is *after* our org went electronic medical records/"paperless". (Intake packets in five different flavors, each one needing different components other than a couple common ones. And many many MANY class/group handouts.)(Oh, and the occasional 'oh poo poo we're out of these forms were still use in paper, we need ASAP!" pile.)

(Fun fact: a state Medicaid booklet is required for drat near every intake packet. They're "saving money" by not ordering them from the state, but rather running them through said Toshiba POS which has the only booklet-maker option in the entire org. :suicide:)

I'm fairly certain the Toshiba rep lied his rear end off as to how his "recommendations" for what hardware was needed org-wide would cover our needs. Every single goddamn copier/MFP immediately started failing under the amount of work being run. Dude that comes out to fix the MFP hardly needs a manual to go balls-deep into it for complicated fixes, because he's had to come out so often for the same poo poo. (I know for a fact he lied about the capabilities of the MFP, since that fucker absolutely refuses to run anything but one specific brand and type of NCR paper, and only from one drawer, and will *still* throw output on the floor sometimes :wtc:.)

tl;dr gently caress printers Toshiba all of the above.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xzzy posted:

It's the impersonal talking down at the drones tone of the memo that makes it infuriating.

"We're not going to tell you to do this thing because we'd get instantly sued if we tried, but we can sure skirt around it and make it really clear that we sure would like everyone to do it."

It also reads like "we're yanking all the soda from the vending machines".

At least until that office is collectively threatening a supervisor at knifepoint anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'll just point out that the health of an employer's employees is absolutely the company's business, as healthcare costs are a huge part of a company's overhead.

Wellness programs can go a long way in improving the workplace, and in more than just lower healthcare costs:

https://hbr.org/2010/12/whats-the-hard-return-on-employee-wellness-programs

You guys are way too cynical and jaded :P