Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Now I'm annoyed I picked up MHX since I got distracted and haven't even started it yet :argh: 40 bucks down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tender Bender posted:

Now I'm annoyed I picked up MHX since I got distracted and haven't even started it yet :argh: 40 bucks down the drain.

Just play it, gosh. It's not gonna be the exact same content, and the content that is the same is all Low Rank, so you can consider it a warm-up.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Yeah, the game will contain the new content and all the previous content. You can bring your save data into XX from X, so you can jump right into the new stuff if you've already beaten the hell out of X.

I drafted in my wife on translation duty to try to figure out what Brave Style actually is. What they described is that if you continuously attack the monster, you build up your 'Brave Meter'. Once it's full, you can new combos that you can't do normally, and your evades will be faster than normal as well.

In terms of the Nyantas/Prowlers, they talked about how the Prowlers were limited compared to Hunters, and now they're bringing Nyantas closer to the variety and personality you can bring to your hunter. They can use the vaulting move from Aerial Style and the Bushido/Adept Dodge. They weren't totally clear about whether you pick a style prior to your hunt like a Hunter, or whether these moves are now innate to any Prowler, but from the phrasing (bringing Prowlers up to speed with hunters) we think you probably choose a style like hunters rather than gain these as innate advantages, but take this with a huge pinch of salt.

Also the Diablos they showed is called 'Ouma Diablos', and the kanji are a kind of obscure combination that apparently translates to 'Massacre Demon'. Massacre Demon Diablos sounds pretty awesome IMO.

edit: Capcom's JP YouTube channel is doing a livestream right now about XX as well but so far no notable new info that I've noticed

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 27, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

thorsilver posted:

Yeah, the game will contain the new content and all the previous content. You can bring your save data into XX from X, so you can jump right into the new stuff if you've already beaten the hell out of X.

:eyepop: Is that gonna be a thing? If so, yeah, that will save me a ton of time since I'll be like fully deep endgame by the time this thing comes out in the US.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
If XX works like how 2nd G/FU 3G & 4G did (for the japanese releases anyway), yeah it should

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

deadly_pudding posted:

:eyepop: Is that gonna be a thing? If so, yeah, that will save me a ton of time since I'll be like fully deep endgame by the time this thing comes out in the US.

It's always been a thing with 'G' versions, it was the same with 4/4U (in Japan, at least, since we only got 4U and not 4).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Uh, so is it a full price game? No upgrade for existing players, nothing?

Cause I just bought this like a month ago :what:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elman posted:

Luckily for you, you probably have another year or so before we get it in English!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, anyone lamenting that they just bought Gen shouldn't worry since you'll have time to release of the game in Japanese + 6-9 months for the English version to come out :) plenty of time to hunt.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was feeling kinda meh on the whole thing, until the bit about Prowlers being able to Adept/Aerial Style.

gently caress. YES. The one thing I miss when I play as the cat is being able to rodeo monsters to death. That was half the reason I went with Bugstick in 4U. Now I can be the cat rodeo queen! And you can import your save data? Bring on the GenerationsU, or whatever it's going to be called. Bring it on so much!

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Elman posted:

Welcome to the hunting action genre :)

Don't worry, the addition of G-Rank alone adds a huge amount of new content. Add to that new styles, areas, monsters, etc.

I've done the G-version upgrade cycle a couple times now and in other hunting games as well (Toukiden --> Toukiden Kiwami, God Eater --> God Eater Burst, etc.) and I've yet to feel ripped off, personally. I've always gotten far more hours of fun out of them than I do out of most full-on sequels in other genres.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Going from 4 to 6 isn't double

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Guess I won't bother getting Generations with my birthday month eShop discount, I'll just get XX in a year. :v:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Lemon-Lime posted:

Guess I won't bother getting Generations with my birthday month eShop discount, I'll just get XX in a year. :v:

Buy it now, then port your save data into XX and carry on into the new content right from where you left off. You don't lose anything by getting Generations right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thorsilver posted:

Buy it now, then port your save data into XX and carry on into the new content right from where you left off. You don't lose anything by getting Generations right now.

I'm still playing through 4U and was only planning on grabbing Generations now in preparation for eventually getting around to play it in 6-12 months. No point in doing that now when XX will be out by the time I'm done with 4U!

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

How much dlc is left for mhgen?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

thorsilver posted:

I drafted in my wife on translation duty to try to figure out what Brave Style actually is. What they described is that if you continuously attack the monster, you build up your 'Brave Meter'. Once it's full, you can new combos that you can't do normally, and your evades will be faster than normal as well.

So they're giving all weapons a demon meter. It'll be interesting, for sure.

My bestie's gonna be so pissed. He only bought Generations because I told him they weren't planning to make a MHGen expansion =|

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I wish the MH series would get Pokemon-big overseas so we could start getting simultaneous releases. :( I want to play XX, but I don't want to do so without importing my Gen save so I'm definitely waiting however long for the English version.

Also... Double Generations? Ultimate Generations? Girls Generations?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Electric Lady posted:

So they're giving all weapons a demon meter. It'll be interesting, for sure.

My bestie's gonna be so pissed. He only bought Generations because I told him they weren't planning to make a MHGen expansion =|

Seriously, he can port the save data into the new one, I don't understand the problem

Capcom JP live stream is showing live gameplay of Brave Style Hammer right now, if anyone fancies a preview

edit: OK I can't listen to the audio because I have to at least pretend to be working, but holy poo poo the hammer has a side-step in Brave Style?? He was charging attacks and side-stepping Rathian's attacks while charging, it was awesome

edit2: Brave Style LS vs Barroth now. So many meters

edit3: Brave Style GS vs Yian Kut-Ku. There's a lot of stuff going on with this style. Seems like you can charge up the Brave meter and deflect certain attacks?? And with GS he filled the meter and then unleashed a crazy-fast charged attack that got to level 4 in about half a second.

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 27, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I wish the MH series would get Pokemon-big overseas so we could start getting simultaneous releases. :( I want to play XX, but I don't want to do so without importing my Gen save so I'm definitely waiting however long for the English version.

Also... Double Generations? Ultimate Generations? Girls Generations?

Generations+ :v:

Yeah, the localizers kinda dug themselves into a corner with that one. In their defense, Capcom originally stated that this wasn't a main line game and wouldn't be receiving a G version.

I'm not as salty as I could be, because the new features look super fun.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Brave looks super busted for experienced players.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I hope there's a 3DS to Switch save transfer option for XX, cause I don't really want to go through village for a third time

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope MHXX brings back the auto-callout for getting carted.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Marogareh posted:

It looks more like an adept style that you can control how the dodges go via sidesteps rather than full dodges.

edit: Also ROCKET FALCON

scaterry fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 27, 2016

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Marogareh posted:

Those are LR monsters, to be fair. I'm sure we'll get lots of one-hit KO horseshit in G-Rank to worry about :v:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Having HH effects appear on the bottom left instead of blinding you dead center on the screen is incredible.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm only okay with this because they admitted it's a Double Cross :mad:

gently caress, i wanted to post this

also Monster Hunter GG wouldn't be the worst title and is pretty much its own pun like double cross

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 27, 2016

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Marogareh posted:

Having HH effects appear on the bottom left instead of blinding you dead center on the screen is incredible.

Oh my godddddddd. Now my LBG/HBG friends can't bitch at me everytime I'm spamming HH songs (even though it was a small pleasure because they couldn't complain about 20% damage boost either).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was probably dumb of them to localize the first cross game based merely on the outcry of fans under the assumption that there wouldn't be a G version this time around. Possibly a huge gently caress up on the part of everyone who adamantly begged for it to be localized. There is always a G version, and it is untested how well such will sell in the rest of the world outside of Japan, providing both are released. I hope sales remain strong.

What they need to do is just skip every first release new title and coordinate a world wide simultaneous release of the G version.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thorsilver posted:

I didn't realize that you could transfer saves, that does help significantly. I would be really averse to grinding through while knowing I'm going to eventually restart in the "real" game, but if it's basically an expansion/upgrade I can move my progress into, that feels a lot better.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I hope they give some sort of discount if you have Generations. I'm not sure if I like paying a full $40 for just G-rank.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Honestly we're just getting into exactly the same thing Japan has now. Get the first game, then get the expansion and transfer your saves over.

The one thing that's weird about this is that they did in fact say X wasn't getting an expansion, but I guess they changed their minds based on what they had available. It might also be to give themselves more time to really take advantage of the opportunity the Switch gives them, since they're not providing a launch title for it yet. Considering Monster Hunter is the biggest single gaming franchise in Japan, I feel like there would essentially be riots in the streets if they released a game for a new console that sucked.

Also gently caress am I so glad Barioth is back, and Rocket Gore looks really cool. I hope they bring back a good chunk of monsters besides the ones they showed, but I have the feeling they would anyway; standard Diablos is at least implied, since they haven't put Deviants without the original monsters, and a couple of returners does not make an expansion. They've always been equivalent time investments to the base game.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 27, 2016

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

BabyRyoga posted:

It was probably dumb of them to localize the first cross game based merely on the outcry of fans under the assumption that there wouldn't be a G version this time around. Possibly a huge gently caress up on the part of everyone who adamantly begged for it to be localized. There is always a G version, and it is untested how well such will sell in the rest of the world outside of Japan, providing both are released. I hope sales remain strong.

What they need to do is just skip every first release new title and coordinate a world wide simultaneous release of the G version.

It wasn't an assumption, Capcom flat out said they weren't going to do it back when Cross released.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

It wasn't an assumption, Capcom flat out said they weren't going to do it back when Cross released.

Yeah, that was basically the reason people wanted Generations so bad, right? It'd be the last game until 5 by Capcom's own admission, and western fans didn't want to miss out.

Edit: This does make the name "Double Cross" fairly appropriate, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It makes you wonder, though. Like, clearly they don't want to put out a full-on Monster Hunter 5 on the 3DS, but like...

was Nintendo just way too late with distributing developer kits for the Switch, or something?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

It makes you wonder, though. Like, clearly they don't want to put out a full-on Monster Hunter 5 on the 3DS, but like...

was Nintendo just way too late with distributing developer kits for the Switch, or something?

There are over 20 million 3DS units in the wild in Japan. There are 0 Switches in consumer hands right now and only 2 million forecasted to be sold by the end of the fiscal year. Which one is more likely to hit internal sales targets?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rip switch

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

deadly_pudding posted:

Definitely possible, Ubisoft didn't get Switch dev kits until this September.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There's a high chance of a Switch version coming out anyways, Nintendo is probably just suppressing the announcement until their thing on January 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Worked super well for the wiiu

• Locked thread