Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Who still buys games that come in boxes?

Lots of people. Also they were talking about a thumbnail on the home screen so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Attitude Indicator posted:

Man with Gun as a video game cover, how exciting.

"Oh, wow, how amazing and interesting, too...but in this digital world...what can we do?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Lots of people. Also they were talking about a thumbnail on the home screen so...

Except, you know, the guy I posted after who was talking about boxes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Video game where you shoot at people with guns. How the gently caress are people not tired of this poo poo?

Because "game with gun where you shoot people" is an insanely wide and diverse selection of games that can fill dozens of different niches ranging from horror to action or frigging RPGs (Alpha Protocol for example.) People aren't sick of it because the games are different when you're not reducing them down to the bare minimum.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Who here is ready to buy Kingdom Hearts HD again?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Takoluka posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me seven times, shame on me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I for one am tired of games where you have to walk or run to something. Can't we be more creative than that?

Penguin slide to get everywhere. Make it happen GTA6

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Because "game with gun where you shoot people" is an insanely wide and diverse selection of games that can fill dozens of different niches ranging from horror to action or frigging RPGs (Alpha Protocol for example.) People aren't sick of it because the games are different when you're not reducing them down to the bare minimum.

I for one am tired of games where you have to walk or run to something. Can't we be more creative than that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

VR games are switching to teleportation :v:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Segways! Segways for everyone!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Takoluka posted:

Me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

VR games are switching to teleportation :v:

Now we're talkin'!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

TheDarkFlame posted:

In the UK we're planning to roll out completely plain packaging for cigarettes, so all you have is a the brand name on the box. I feel like we might as well do that for video games too.

Over here cigarette packaging is decorated with pictures of rotting teeth and bleeding dead fetuses. I feel like we might as well do that for video games too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ImpAtom posted:

I once had a friend complain about Donkey Kong Country Returns because "all you do is beat a level and then play another one."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Over here cigarette packaging is decorated with pictures of rotting teeth and bleeding dead fetuses. I feel like we might as well do that for video games too.

Not much to change, really.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just bemused that people werent fed up of call of duty or battlefield 5 years ago. Is it really that exciting to run about a 3d space shooting a gun? How many more call of duties do we need before the general game buying populace is tired ifc the formula.

Wake up sheeple.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smokers are generally immune to the imagery on cigarette packs here and all those pictures do is gross out the employees who have to hand them to buyers.

Ramagamma posted:

I'm just bemused that people werent fed up of call of duty or battlefield 5 years ago. Is it really that exciting to run about a 3d space shooting a gun? How many more call of duties do we need before the general game buying populace is tired ifc the formula.

Wake up sheeple.

Dude you have 57 pages of posts in a thread about watching morbidly obese idiots talk about games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheDarkFlame posted:

In the UK we're planning to roll out completely plain packaging for cigarettes, so all you have is a the brand name on the box. I feel like we might as well do that for video games too.

Pretty much what the Reserve Now! rack looks like at game stores and I'm okay with that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Woman pointing butt at you looking over shoulder

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We can go deeper.

Woman walking away from you twisted around to point gun at you over shoulder. Explosion in backround.

edit: big fadey-face at the top.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think I just assume anyone talking about "the next Video Game Crash" has no clue what they're talking about.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been a video-game crash?

what would that even constitute? A market crash is when things have been overvalued, and this value has been leveraged to give other things value, and when something finally challenges the value of a thing the whole thing collapses and values all plummet when they are reassessed*

So a video game crash would be like... if it turned out people were only buying video games as status symbols or to impress people, and then suddenly books became sexier than video games and the industry collapsed as multimillion dollar triple A titles suddenly had a street value lower than books.

Or maybe it's like a car crash. Where you throw a game case on top of another game case. In which case** the next crash has likely already occurred and I will be causing another one soon.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I take every photo like that.

It does make it annoying whenever someone needs to verify my driver's license is me though.

Snak posted:

3, and a racing one.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snak posted:

what would that even constitute? A market crash is when things have been overvalued, and this value has been leveraged to give other things value, and when something finally challenges the value of a thing the whole thing collapses and values all plummet when they are reassessed*

So a video game crash would be like... if it turned out people were only buying video games as status symbols or to impress people, and then suddenly books became sexier than video games and the industry collapsed as multimillion dollar triple A titles suddenly had a street value lower than books.

Or maybe it's like a car crash. Where you throw a game case on top of another game case. In which case** the next crash has likely already occurred and I will be causing another one soon.

The Atari one, which is both a fascinating story and completely inapplicable to the modern day AAA video game scene.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Google atari 1982-1983

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that's amazing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Really enjoying World of Pokemon Final Fantasy. Evolving creatures seems a little weird to me though. I want to do it, but the size gain increase always feels like a negative move to me. I guess it's the only way to get more powerful spells though.

A Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy game I really enjoy within the same month, strange times.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snak posted:

Oh man, that's amazing.

Yeah it's wild from the perspective of today. It's why the NES was so gutsy, Nintendo was attempting to revive what everyone thought was a dead market. It's also the circumstances that created the legend of the mass burial of E.T. Atari cartridges: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Yeah it's wild from the perspective of today. It's why the NES was so gutsy, Nintendo was attempting to revive what everyone thought was a dead market. It's also the circumstances that created the legend of the mass burial of E.T. Atari cartridges: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Yeah, I knew about the E.T. thing. I didn't know it was part of a larger, market-wide crash. I thought it was just part of Atari failing spectacularly.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
If you haven't played previous Mafia games, will Mafia 3 still make sense/be fun?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of your lieutenants is the main character of Mafia 2. But I don't know how relevant knowing his story is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
A billion dollar industry was necromanced by some Japanese guy going "Maybe this italian fellow should feel like he has some actual weight"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
People keep saying they're playing TF2 and I'm wondering why Team Fortress is seeing this resurgence of play, especially post Overwatch, but its loving titanfall.

TF2 is Team Fortress 2 goddamnit :colbert: Find a new initialism for Titanfall. TTF2 or T2 or something. TF2 is taken! (Well, T2 is judgement day)

Ramagamma posted:

Wake up sheeple.

Navigating 3D spaces and aiming at moving targets is far more compelling gameplay than most game designers can come up with when forced to be abstract. FPS games are exciting and easier to make work well than melee combat or whatever peter molyneux type off-the-wall experience you can imagine.

Come up with something fresh and you can make a ton of money, but its really not that loving easy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morby posted:

If you haven't played previous Mafia games, will Mafia 3 still make sense/be fun?

It is almost entirely stand alone from the previous games. One of your lieutenants is the main character of Mafia 2 but outside of one side mission where he talks about some stuff it doesn't really come into play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

Yes, before the Nintendo Entertainment System there was a gigantic market crash and the entire game industry nearly burned in flames. It was the late Atari / Colecovision / Intellivision era. They were just churning out poo poo games and selling them on the box art and people got really burned out on it.

It took years for the public to start caring about gaming again, and Nintendo deliberately marketed the NES more like a VCR than an Atari in order to avoid the stigma from the crash. The nintendo seal of quality was also a big marketing move to try to convince consumers that "these games are different, we swear, they're good"

It was a big big deal, but it was also a long time ago. Nothing like that has ever happened since, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

quote:

Revenues had peaked at around $3.2 billion in 1983,[2] then fell to around $100 million by 1985 (a drop of almost 97 percent).

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

spooky like this! posted:

It is almost entirely stand alone from the previous games. One of your lieutenants is the main character of Mafia 2 but outside of one side mission where he talks about some stuff it doesn't really come into play.

The gameplay seems to be similar to GTA or Sleeping Dogs. Is that accurate? Would love another open-world type game.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
People talking about being burned out on man with guns games and I'm still looking for a company to resurrect primed gren1s from QWTF.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zaphod42 posted:

People keep saying they're playing TF2 and I'm wondering why Team Fortress is seeing this resurgence of play, especially post Overwatch, but its loving titanfall.

TF2 is Team Fortress 2 goddamnit :colbert: Find a new initialism for Titanfall. TTF2 or T2 or something. TF2 is taken! (Well, T2 is judgement day)

Animal Crossing: Black Flag is a game I keep hoping for.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm glad they had a preload for Skyrim because it took 42 loving hours to download 33gb. The PSN really is appalling.

This is why I mainly buy boxed games, gently caress paying 20% extra to sit around for an eternity for things to download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I still can't enable 2FA because it takes between 2 and 10 hours to get the confirmation codes, by which time the web page has timed out and they are invalid.

• Locked thread