Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Actually it was more like 6 months or so, but this isn't really spelled out anywhere in the film itself.

Wait. So Han and Leia were in Cloud City for six months?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Joseph Campbell probably had them first. :(

And Joseph Campbell was just ripping his thoughts off from Freud and Carl Jung. How deep does this rabbit hole go?

UmOk posted:

No, they were flying there in the Falcon for six months, banging each other.

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

I think the thing I've seen is that they traveled to Cloud City at slow speed and it took months to get there.

Of course none of that is in the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UmOk posted:

No, they were traveling through space for most of that time, I don't think they were at Cloud City for that long. The Millennium Falcon didn't have its hyper drive working.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

No, they were flying there in the Falcon for six months, banging each other.

Who's they? There are a number of people on board that ship and at least three of them are capable of getting horny.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Who's they? There are a number of people on board that ship and at least three of them are capable of getting horny.

We already know Threepio was interfacing with the Falcon, so that's one horny couple accounted for. Han and Leia were clearly getting it on. That just leaves Chewbacca and, I don't know, the training remote? I'm sure he could figure out a few things to do with that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

No, they were traveling through space for most of that time, I don't think they were at Cloud City for that long. The Millennium Falcon didn't have its hyper drive working.

So Vader was waiting for them for six months?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I do not believe Leia and Han were having sex with each other, but one of those two was absolutely having sex during their travels.

UmOk posted:

They were at least hunting them for six months. Remember Bobba Fett was tracking them during that time too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Presumably he was off doing Vader business. He only came to Cloud City once Lando told him they were there.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Presumably he was off doing Vader business. He only came to Cloud City once Lando told him they were there.

I'm so confused. Didn't Lando say that Vader showed up right before they arrived?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

I'm so confused. Didn't Lando say that Vader showed up right before they arrived?

Could be, either way the point is that Vader only went there once he knew they were there. Its not like he was hanging out in the janitors closet waiting for six months.

Now that you say that, I'm remembering that it was probably Bob Fett who tracked them there and informed Vader. Regardless, Vader wasn't just sitting around waiting.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, Boba Fett tracked them to Cloud City. Then he either told Vader and Vader waited until the Falcon was about to get there, or he didn't figure it out until they were close.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

I think the official answer is that it was more like several weeks to a month, not six months. And Lando says the Empire arrived just before they did, which kind of makes you wonder what they were doing up to then, and why they didn't just intercept the Rebels in their ship before they got to Bespin.

The real answer is that the passage of time was left intentionally vague in the film so that none of these things would have to be explained.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vader and the Emperor must have saw through the force that they could use Han and Leia as bait to attract Luke to them. They used that as the basis for their setup at Cloud City.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I do not believe Leia and Han were having sex with each other, but one of those two was absolutely having sex during their travels.

Well, they already made out, which according to Kershner is the Star Wars equivalent to intercourse. I think that ship sailed.

Of course, this also means that, in Star Wars terms, Luke really did bang his sister.

I said come in! posted:

Vader and the Emperor must have saw through the force that they could use Han and Leia as bait to attract Luke to them. They used that as the basis for their setup at Cloud City.

Well yeah, but they could have done that just by snatching them up while they were puttering through space and then taking them to Cloud City at lightspeed to torture them and attract Luke. It would have sped up the whole process.

And speaking of Vader's plan to use them as bait, it takes on whole new level of hosed up when you realize that Vader is drawing on his own experience with sensing his mother's pain as she was being tortured by the Tuskens.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Actually it was more like 6 months or so, but this isn't really spelled out anywhere in the film itself.

I always assumed that because Dagobah was a mystical place, time worked a bit differently there.

A week in the gritty reality of Cloud City is months in the hazy time of magical training. Luke could have been there years, for all was know. Time doesn't matter so much in a place like that. Regardless of how long he spent, it wouldn't have been enough, and he would never have been ready when his friends were in trouble.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I always assumed that because Dagobah was a mystical place, time worked a bit differently there.

A week in the gritty reality of Cloud City is months in the hazy time of magical training. Luke could have been there years, for all was know. Time doesn't matter so much in a place like that. Regardless of how long he spent, it wouldn't have been enough, and he would never have been ready when his friends were in trouble.

The Hyperbolic Time Chamber of planets.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in! posted:

There actually hasn't been an original thought on the prequels in the Star Wars threads in quite sometime. It's all been just repeating things already talked about and going full circle once a week.

Over the course of a few threads, we've accomplished a rather comprehensive analysis of all six films, and the Disney spinoff.

The 'problem' is that this analysis has gone completely unchallenged. The last person to even try was the 'millenial pragmatic idealism' dude, and I forget how long ago that was.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://youtu.be/YYcdrZfKU3E

A very serious video about the Rogue One characters.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, they already made out, which according to Kershner is the Star Wars equivalent to intercourse. I think that ship sailed.

Of course, this also means that, in Star Wars terms, Luke really did bang his sister.

Well yeah, but they could have done that just by snatching them up while they were puttering through space and then taking them to Cloud City at lightspeed to torture them and attract Luke. It would have sped up the whole process.

And speaking of Vader's plan to use them as bait, it takes on whole new level of hosed up when you realize that Vader is drawing on his own experience with sensing his mother's pain as she was being tortured by the Tuskens.

So since Luke did commit symbolic incest, is he symbolically Arthur and Kyle Ren his symbolic Mordred? I mean, he is living on an island off the coast of the British Isles. In which case Rey is returning the Sword in the Stone to him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

So since Luke did commit symbolic incest, is he symbolically Arthur and Kyle Ren his symbolic Mordred? I mean, he is living on an island off the coast of the British Isles. In which case Rey is returning the Sword in the Stone to him.

That is a good way of looking at it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
In the same way, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme and Sheev can be thematically linked with Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere and Morgana. The plot twist is that Arthur succumbs to Morgana's temptation, kills his wife in a fit of jealous rage over perceived infidelity, then becomes the Black Knight.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Here's another cool quote from Joseph Campbell from the Power of Myth program he did with Bill Moyers back in 1988:

JOSEPH CAMPBELL posted:

Heaven and hell are within us, and all the gods are within us. This is the great realization of the Upanishads of India, already in the ninth century B.C. All the gods, all the heavens, all the worlds are within us. They are magnified dreams, and what dreams are, are manifestations in image form of the energies of the body in conflict with each other. And that’s all myth is. Myth is a manifestation in symbolic images, metaphorical images, of the energies within us, moved by the organs of the body, in conflict with each other. This organ wants this, this organ wants this: the brain is one of the organs.

He's basically describing the idea behind midi-chlorians. In fact Lucas puts it in very similar terms:

George Lucas posted:

Now in this particular case, the gods happen to be a life-form that allows a cell to divide. So it's a metaphor: that which brings life. I don't want to get too controversial about this – some people believe it happened in other ways, over seven days, but if you listen to biology, there's another theory, which begins with an e. If you study microbiology, you will come to the realization that this alien life-form, which has a completely different DNA, helped create life on earth and within the galaxy. But every cell has one of these life-forms in it. It's a simplified version of relationships – that symbiotic being goes through everything. That's why Han Solo joins the Rebellion, that's why Luke saves his father. In Star Wars land, all these relationships are necessary to bring forth a greater good – and evil.

Basically, the internal workings of the body as metaphor for a larger spiritual truth. Midi-chlorians are a convenient and easily manageable way of expressing that idea.

All life is symbiosis and cooperation, on the scale of a galactic civilization all the way down to the cellular level. And life started on the cellular level, so why wouldn't that be the place where God makes his mind known? The idea is that we got it all wrong: Prometheus wasn't a Titan--he was a Prokaryote. The fire stolen from the gods is actually nothing less than the respiration-derived energy which exists inside our cells, fatefully gifted to us by a lone bacterium billions of years ago in act of benevolent symbiosis.

I honestly feel kind of bad for people who don't think it's a cool idea.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Brainiac Five posted:

Well yeah The Force Awakens very consciously draws on Arthurian legend. As lots of people have pointed out Maz Kanata is an obvious analogue of the Lady of the Lake who gives King Arthur his sword.

Of course all the movies draw on Arthurian legend to a degree. Luke has a lot in common with Percival in particular. He's a rustic country bumpkin who one day stumbles on the revelation that he's actually of noble birth, trains under a wizened mentor in order to become a knight, then goes on a quest to achieve a symbolic grace which he then uses to heal his maimed father.

In keeping with the Joseph Campbell theme, it's worth noting that Parzival is among the works of literature he values most, and he considers it to be the turning point in the Western literary tradition in terms of our ongoing cultural quest for spiritual illumination.

The essay I linked is a really good read, by the way.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The interesting thing with the Arthurian elements is that it syncs very well with the feudal elements, and we even have a Nimue figure to replace the Merlin Yoda. But it also posits an interesting approach to Rey's connection with Luke. Arthur, apart from in early Welsh stories where Mordred isn't his son, is infertile/impotent/chaste (depending on the particular attitude of the author). So Rey presumably would be his descendant indirectly, like Arthur's nephew Constantine who succeeds him and kills Mordred's sons.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well this loops around to why does Rey gotta be related to anybody

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Well yeah The Force Awakens very consciously draws on Arthurian legend. As lots of people have pointed out Maz Kanata is an obvious analogue of the Lady of the Lake who gives King Arthur his sword.

Of course all the movies draw on Arthurian legend to a degree. Luke has a lot in common with Percival in particular. He's a rustic country bumpkin who one day stumbles on the revelation that he's actually of noble birth, trains under a wizened mentor in order to become a knight, then goes on a quest to achieve a symbolic grace which he then uses to heal his maimed father.

In keeping with the Joseph Campbell theme, it's worth noting that Parzival is among the works of literature he values most, and he considers it to be the turning point in the Western literary tradition in terms of our ongoing cultural quest for spiritual illumination.

The essay I linked is a really good read, by the way.

I think Episode 8 will also draw heavily on the Grail Quest as well, with Luke/Finn as Fisher King with Rey as Galahad. Or maybe Bors de Ganis.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Why did Luke have to be related to anybody? Arrrrgggggg. loving ESB retroactively ruined A New Hope(The last good Star Wars movie)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh just gently caress off

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The 'problem' is that this analysis has gone completely unchallenged.

Your analysis of TFA was challenged a few times. You just kind of ignored their arguments and accused people disagreeing with you of not agreeing with it because it wasn't stated in the movie.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

Follow your own advice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

How else is it supposed to be like poetry?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My fav poetry is def jam and terza rima

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

The idea is that we got it all wrong: Prometheus wasn't a Titan--he was a Prokaryote.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Brainiac Five posted:

The interesting thing with the Arthurian elements is that it syncs very well with the feudal elements, and we even have a Nimue figure to replace the Merlin Yoda. But it also posits an interesting approach to Rey's connection with Luke. Arthur, apart from in early Welsh stories where Mordred isn't his son, is infertile/impotent/chaste (depending on the particular attitude of the author). So Rey presumably would be his descendant indirectly, like Arthur's nephew Constantine who succeeds him and kills Mordred's sons.

My question is what Anakin's lightsaber is supposed to be representing in TFA. I mean it was discarded in ESB and replaced in ROTJ because it was a false symbol that had been holding Luke back. Luke's construction of his own lightsaber is a symbolic act showing that he's become his own man and no longer has any need for the simplistic, childish image he had of his father. So if he does anything other than refuse to accept it from Rey at the beginning of Episode VIII I'll be very confused. It may have been redeemed from its formerly cursed state (having tasted the blood of innocents) along with Anakin himself, but it still doesn't belong to him.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It would be pretty weird to emphasize Rey being special by birth and her family's absence and then have them be unimportant. From a, you know, storytelling mechanics perspective.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yup.

Brainiac Five posted:

It would be pretty weird to emphasize Rey being special by birth and her family's absence and then have them be unimportant. From a, you know, storytelling mechanics perspective.

Yeah some people seem to be missing that this was blatantly set up as one of the movie's main questions of interest.

Admittedly it is kind of baffling because if she turns out to be related to Luke everyone will just go, "Yeah, no poo poo" and if she turns out to be related to pretty much anyone else other than, like, Palpatine, everyone will just go "And this is important because....?"

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

My question is what Anakin's lightsaber is supposed to be representing in TFA. I mean it was discarded in ESB and replaced in ROTJ because it was a false symbol that had been holding Luke back. Luke's construction of his own lightsaber is a symbolic act showing that he's become his own man and no longer has any need for the simplistic, childish image he had of his father. So if he does anything other than refuse to accept it from Rey at the beginning of Episode VIII I'll be very confused. It may have been redeemed from its formerly cursed state (having tasted the blood of innocents) along with Anakin himself, but it still doesn't belong to him.

It's an interesting inversion of the Sword in the Stone, which Arthur lost due to his unrighteous acts and had to replace with the pagan Excalibur, but here the sword itself is the unrighteous thing. I do think Luke will/should reject it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ungulateman posted:

In the same way, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme and Sheev can be thematically linked with Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere and Morgana. The plot twist is that Arthur succumbs to Morgana's temptation, kills his wife in a fit of jealous rage over perceived infidelity, then becomes the Black Knight.

I'm never gonna be able to unhear "its but a flesh wound" instead of "I hate you!" once Anakin loses his appendages on Mustafar.

Luke best be turnin' that saber down, otherwise he forgot what he learned in RotJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Good argument. But why is it OK for Empire and Jedi to change previous movies?

• Locked thread