Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Does anybody make a USB-C hub that has DisplayPort or mDP out? Since Apple enabled 4K output @ 60Hz on the 2016 rMB, how are peeps connecting that machine to their 4K monitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mandals posted:

Also not sure how much I like the idea of a non-physical escape key. The OLED toolbar in general feels gimmicky to me, but maybe I'm just not seeing the possibilities. It will probably depend on whether or not developers actually do something interesting or consistent with it.
The OLED bar is a horrible idea, and will for sure suffer the same issues, see below ->
Will the developers do something that Pro users care about at all, ever? I doubt it.

Bob Morales posted:

Does the X1 still have the fake function row? loving dumb.
The latest Lenovo X1 Carbon v3 has reverted that horrible change, and fixed the trackpoint buttons too, to the point that it's now my favourite PC laptop.

Sadly my work laptop is the v2 with the crappy fake function strip, and it is hell:
- Activate presentation mode by brushing your finger up accidentally
- Have it freeze when you're trying to change brightness, so you lose your function keys till next reboot.

Fortunately I have re-mapped by capslock to escape for about the last decade, so at least that doesn't bother me.

Mandals posted:

The lack of USB-A ports will hurt me way more than the lightning adapter kerfluffle. Half the poo poo on my desk connects via USB-A. (I use the poo poo out of the built-in SD card reader, too, and will miss it if it's indeed gone).
This is the least important imo, replace one dongle (you probably already needed a USB hub) and you have lots of ports, and don't need to change much at all on your desk.

Annoying for poeple who want to use a mouse while out at meetings, or a USB key, but that's never me.

Pivo posted:

Bind Caps Lock to Esc?

This * 1000, noone needs capslock, especially if you use a decent editor and can capitalise via key shortcuts.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What if we've already bound caps-lock to control :ohdear:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Twerk from Home posted:

What makes something Pro to you? Is it mass? Computing power, which is almost certainly going to improve? Battery life, also likely to get better?

This is what a modern "pro" computer should have: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro . Ignore the "gaming" tag, they are both in the same class of laptop, and take a look at the features it has, such as a mechanical keyboard.

I might considering getting one of these (edit: not the $3800 version, the razer blade) if the announcement tomorrow is pathetic, as much as I love OSX, Apple needs to get their poo poo in gear.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 26, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mine's bound to cruise control (for cool).

I wonder when the first big laptop manufacturer will start actively courting the hackintosh market.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mitztronic posted:

This is what a modern "pro" computer should have: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro . Ignore the "gaming" tag, they are both in the same class of laptop, and take a look at the features it has, such as a mechanical keyboard.

I might considering getting one of these if the announcement tomorrow is pathetic, as much as I love OSX, Apple needs to get their poo poo in gear.

Companies do that and always gently caress up poo poo like putting the keyboard at the loving bottom.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The Milkman posted:

Then you are Correct and have done well. You could always bind the control key to escape since it's no longer useful.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

mitztronic posted:

This is what a modern "pro" computer should have: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro . Ignore the "gaming" tag, they are both in the same class of laptop,
17" screen
7.8 pounds
no mention of battery life
thats a spicy meatball !!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's like a laundry list of things Apple hates: RGB, offset keybaord, lots of ports and a touchscreen on a laptop.

It's like razer read every single complaint against Apple and tried to address them all, regardless of validity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know we're all supposed to use iCloud and poo poo, but it seems odd to put out a laptop that can't physically connect to any existing iOS devices without a $30 cable. 90% of the time I use my USB ports, it's to connect my iPad or iPhone.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Just that it'd be odd. I have to believe they'll include at least one USB port on this generation and switch to all USB-C in three years when they refresh again.

Depends on how courageous those engineers are.

It was weird to not have a PS/2 Port way back in the day and you didn't have wireless options most of the time then either.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My Dell Latitude work laptop weighs 6 lbs, has a 47W CPU, and has a VGA port but no type of miniDP or displayport. I guess this thing is pretty pro!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Hold for control, tap for escape!

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Since we've seen no 15" leaks I'm foolishly hoping it will have a sane keyboard layout.

Also, regarding the touchbar I wonder if they'll offer a setting to force the (simulated) F keys and escape to be in the exact place they normally are. Actual physical keys would be better, but at least the computer isn't useless.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Twerk from Home posted:

My Dell Latitude work laptop weighs 6 lbs, has a 47W CPU, and has a VGA port but no type of miniDP or displayport. I guess this thing is pretty pro!

To be fair that thing is like 4 generations old. (Pretty sure I know exactly which model you mean.)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Would a Mac mini work well as a headless plex server wired into my router? I'm looking to support at least 3 simultaneous streams.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What's better? Airport base station + external hard drive or Time Capsule?

I'm leaning toward the latter since it sounds like I could also throw a USB key on there to enable a fileshare spot for people to drop files, in addition to having a drive dedicated to Time Machine.

Is there any other difference?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Linguica posted:

17" screen
7.8 pounds
no mention of battery life
thats a spicy meatball !!

its a desktop replacement that draws 250w from the brick, what do you expect? it's the market Apple exited from with their 17" MBP, although it was never that powerful. it's got a desktop 1080 in it with 8GB of VRAM. given all that, it's actually pretty sleek. the touchscreen seems a little useless and 4K might be excessive, but it's a good device for people who are looking for a desktop replacement.

the Macbook Pro is a desktop replacement only for some classes of users. I'm ok with that.

still, you can appreciate the real hardcore desktop replacements getting thinner and lighter. Seeing a big 17" laptop with a desktop GPU and a high-end CPU and a mechanical keyboard kinda makes me a little bit hard, but it's probably gonna be like $3k and I don't need it, so...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krakkles posted:

What's better? Airport base station + external hard drive or Time Capsule?

I'm leaning toward the latter since it sounds like I could also throw a USB key on there to enable a fileshare spot for people to drop files, in addition to having a drive dedicated to Time Machine.

Is there any other difference?

I used AEBS + hard drive and then bought a TC. I thought the Time Capsule works better but it was more expensive. You can log people on to the TC drive and store files there, it's not exclusively for TM. I think the password is even different from your normal WiFi admin password. I store movies and stuff on mine, use it like a NAS. It's a pretty nice piece of kit, if you really want to go with Apple gear.

If you're a networking geek there are other routers, namely ASUS's flagships that match the quality of the AEBS, and some people prefer to roll their own NAS, but that's a very expensive option. Time Capsule is a good all-in-one that you just plug in, play around in Airport Utility a bit, and go. You might need a switch if you have lots of Ethernet-connected devices.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pivo posted:

I used AEBS + hard drive and then bought a TC. I thought the Time Capsule works better but it was more expensive. You can log people on to the TC drive and store files there, it's not exclusively for TM. I think the password is even different from your normal WiFi admin password. I store movies and stuff on mine, use it like a NAS. It's a pretty nice piece of kit, if you really want to go with Apple gear.

If you're a networking geek there are other routers, namely ASUS's flagships that match the quality of the AEBS, and some people prefer to roll their own NAS, but that's a very expensive option. Time Capsule is a good all-in-one that you just plug in, play around in Airport Utility a bit, and go. You might need a switch if you have lots of Ethernet-connected devices.
Excellent, that sounds like about what I'm looking for.

I actually have a NAS already (HP N40L, running freenas, etc), and I used it when I had my last mac for time machine, but there are a couple of things preventing me from wanting to repeat that:
  • more setup difficulty
  • some errors due to (possibly) incompatibility with filesystems (HFS vs ZFS, this is a theory I found somewhere, but I know I had the errors when I used it before and it was annoying)
  • lack of some features (OS X / macOS recovery, basically)
My basic plan is to use the Time Capsule (or AEBS if anyone has compelling arguments for that) behind the cable modem - so the xbox and PS4 will still be plugged into the modem, meaning almost nothing will actually be plugged into the TC/AEBS, as almost everything else is connected over WiFi.

Thank you!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mmmm, so when you say "cable modem" you mean an ISP provided gateway? So your WiFi devices connected to the Apple device would be running behind a double-NAT? That's very bad. You should get the gateway switched to bridge mode - sometimes that takes a call to the ISP for some loving reason - and use the AEBS/TC for all routing. Double-NAT is a networking nightmare.

Unless you literally mean your cable modem has multiple ports and your ISP is handing out IPs like candy, but I don't think that's what's happening.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pivo posted:

Mmmm, so when you say "cable modem" you mean an ISP provided gateway? So your WiFi devices connected to the Apple device would be running behind a double-NAT? That's very bad. You should get the gateway switched to bridge mode - sometimes that takes a call to the ISP for some loving reason - and use the AEBS/TC for all routing. Double-NAT is a networking nightmare.

Unless you literally mean your cable modem has multiple ports and your ISP is handing out IPs like candy, but I don't think that's what's happening.
Hmmm. I don't think I've ever had problems with it before, but maybe I just don't know it. I can switch the modem (yeah, ISP gateway) to bridge mode, so it sounds like I'll just need to buy another EdgeRouter (I have one somewhere already, but I'll need more ports for everything not wireless to connect).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever had problems with it before, but maybe I just don't know it. I can switch the modem (yeah, ISP gateway) to bridge mode, so it sounds like I'll just need to buy another EdgeRouter (I have one somewhere already, but I'll need more ports for everything not wireless to connect).

Nah, switches are cheap. They're fairly dumb devices, they do very very basic processing at a low level. You switch the gateway to bridge mode, plug it in to the WAN port of your AEBS, and if you need additional ethernet ports you just pick up a cheap switch that plugs in to the AEBS. You want routing duties - NAT - to be handled by only one device, otherwise both the gateway and your AEBS/TC will be handling routing duties, making it very complicated to troubleshoot networking issues, slowing down your internet connection, creating problems for devices connected to one to communicate with the other, etc. It's stupid, just google Double-NAT. It's not a good networking scenario.

Switches are cheap. If you can afford a TC, you can afford a ~$20 switch.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Has anyone ever heard of Macbooks having weird HDMI incompatibilities with certain monitors? I pulled an old 1920x1200 HP monitor from like 2008 out of storage and tried connecting it to my 2015 RMBP and it just didn't work. I know the HDMI-out works because I am currently outputting HDMI to a more recent 1920x1080 Asus monitor, and I know the monitor works because I plugged a Amazon Fire Stick into an HDMI port and it displayed just fine. Weird.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay gang, I refuse to ask macrumors this question... if tomorrow they don't release iMacs (they won't) which of the refurbished should I pick? 512SSD or the 2Tb or 3 TB fusion? I'm a graphic designer/book publisher. I don't play games (other than the occasional star craft and Stardew valley). Either way I'm getting a couple of standard 1 or 2TB hard drives as time machines and weekly clones, but I'm wondering if Fusion is really a bad option? I do plan on becoming a Youtuber at some point in 2017, so Final Cut Pro will be in my future. (The iMacs I'm looking at have 8 gig of ram, obviously I'll bump them up with an additional 16 gig pack from crucial.)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

512SSD, no questions. Fusion works but it's far from perfect. If you're gonna be a content creator, get a 512 SSD and a lot of RAM, and some external hard drives or a NAS for the heavy storage. That's my opinion. But it's so much faster, I think it's a good opinion.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So one of the strange things that was noted in the rumors was the registry numbers for the supposed new Macbooks were all sequential, all three. Even though previous rumors indicate 2 MBP's and a new Air. So my crazy late night prediction is the Macbook Air line is going away. And there will be three different MBP models.

eames
May 9, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Jesus christ, so uh, who makes the nicest hardware for a hassle free linux install these days?

I feel like one of those hysterical idiotic liberal ninnies threatening to move to Canada every midterm election posting something that stupid, but jesus christ. My relationship with unix isn't loving going away, my relationship with apple sure as hell can.

That's the question I've asked myself for the last month or so. My conclusion is that there is direct competition for a rMBP but the new Razer Blade line is the closest thing if you can live with worse build quality and only one year warranty.

It's becoming more and more evident to me that the Apple has run out of their stash of Jobs ideas and is now under full control of beancounter Tim Cook who thinks Macs are a necessary evil that you plug your iPad Pro into every so often for backup/syncing.
I hope the event proves me wrong. :shobon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

xgalaxy posted:

So one of the strange things that was noted in the rumors was the registry numbers for the supposed new Macbooks were all sequential, all three. Even though previous rumors indicate 2 MBP's and a new Air. So my crazy late night prediction is the Macbook Air line is going away. And there will be three different MBP models.

That's not crazy at all. I'm certain the air is finished.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

That's the question I've asked myself for the last month or so. My conclusion is that there is direct competition for a rMBP but the new Razer Blade line is the closest thing if you can live with worse build quality and only one year warranty.

It's becoming more and more evident to me that the Apple has run out of their stash of Jobs ideas and is now under full control of beancounter Tim Cook who thinks Macs are a necessary evil that you plug your iPad Pro into every so often for backup/syncing.
I hope the event proves me wrong. :shobon:
I'm so glad that at every possible step, Cook decides to do the opposite of what Razer customers want.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

eames posted:

:confused: rMBP also has a one-year warranty. I know there is AppleCare, but I'm sure you could also buy an extended warranty for the Razer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm certain the air is finished.

Absolutely. I'll be very surprised if the Air lives another year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Linguica posted:

Has anyone ever heard of Macbooks having weird HDMI incompatibilities with certain monitors? I pulled an old 1920x1200 HP monitor from like 2008 out of storage and tried connecting it to my 2015 RMBP and it just didn't work. I know the HDMI-out works because I am currently outputting HDMI to a more recent 1920x1080 Asus monitor, and I know the monitor works because I plugged a Amazon Fire Stick into an HDMI port and it displayed just fine. Weird.

I have an 4-5 year old Acer monitor (21.5" 1080p) that I bought from Best Buy when they first got down to like $125, and it does some weird stuff with my Macs.

If I use the MiniDP to DVI adapter on my 13" rMBP it doesn't work. Never gets a signal. But if I use the MiniDP to VGA it works perfectly. I think there's some weird compatibility thing, perhaps the monitor isn't 100% to some standard? I had a 2010 13" MBP and it worked perfectly using the same MiniDP to DVI adapter. I can't remember if it worked or not with the 13" Air.

It works fine with my girlfriends HP laptop using HDMI to DVI.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
The keyboards on those MacBooks are absolutely atrocious. The keys feel like a toy, and it's so weird typing with them coming from a mechanical keyboard. I can't believe students presumably use them for writing at any length of time. It's by far the worst keyboard I've ever used.

I know this is off topic, so, carry on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a training session to attend from 1:00 to 3:00....I'll probably be :f5: on TheVerge or Ars.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. I gotta teach a tutorial in 30 min. This is brutal. I wonder if the pro's touch pad will work with Apple Pencil.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Linguica posted:

I had a similar issue recently and it turns out the monitor's EDID was busted on HDMI. So while I could force it using weird hacks on Windows, my Mac simply wouldn't see it. I had an RMA set up but I never bothered fixing it since it was a cheap monitor and I ended up giving it away.

If it has other ports/connectors have you tried those? On mine I had to get a DVI to HDMI cable for it to work.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

~Coxy posted:

To be fair that thing is like 4 generations old. (Pretty sure I know exactly which model you mean.)

Latitude E6540 purchased new less than a year ago. Was still being sold as current-gen on Dells website a couple months ago. :negative:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sheesh, where's the event thread? MODS KNEW

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

decypher posted:

The keyboards on those MacBooks are absolutely atrocious. The keys feel like a toy, and it's so weird typing with them coming from a mechanical keyboard. I can't believe students presumably use them for writing at any length of time. It's by far the worst keyboard I've ever used.

I know this is off topic, so, carry on.
You're the extreme minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oh god I'm already crying. These loving videos man. They get me in the feels.