Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Pandanaut posted:

I just realized I never finished the exotic sword quest. With light levels these days would this be too much of a hassle solo? I know there is a part where you have to kill three enemies really quickly, but I didn't know if I could just Gjallarhorn my way through it.

I would probably go for Dark Drinker if it matters.

A not insignificant amount of people are doing this specifically for dark drinker due to how useful it is for WotM. I smashed it out easy with a pubbie yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There is no reason to be using a 94 impact hand cannon in normalized or close light level crucible when the vendor Palindrome is available.

But the vendor palindrome feels sloppy and looks dumb. :smith:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Sweet! I guess I'll throw a request out for a group in the other thread and see if there are any other folks in the same boat. Thanks all.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There is no reason to be using a 94 impact hand cannon in normalized or close light level crucible when the vendor Palindrome is available.

For every clean up kill you get solely because of the 94 impact being slightly stronger then the 81, I'd bet you leave 3 dudes absolute and lose that many 1v1s because you're using the slowest TTK gun available.

Pretty much. 94 is especially harmful in 6's when its much harder to solo out enemies for a 1v1. Other than being gimmicky there's just no ignoring how versitle 81 impact HC's are and with the vendor Palindrome being deec out of the box. There's just too many sources for good 81's to ignore.

The 7 round Uffern is probably the most reliable of the bunch in terms of 2 tapping someone. DYK is probably my preferred in terms of ease of use (mostly because of its insane AA) but I'm still looking for a Rifled/LitC roll. The range on the Imago (and the reason the Palindrome is so good out of the box) is just loving hilarious

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 27, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uffern is 87 impact. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Uffern is 87 impact. :v:

Well yeah but it doesn't change its TTK because its RoF puts it in the same bucket. That roll also has a completely useless perk in PvP.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Uffern impact display bugged

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

That part is a pain but it's not too hard if you wear them all down to a sliver first and then go to town with supers or heavy. I'm not sure what the exact window for the kills is but it's less than ten seconds.

Quest says 30 seconds when you get it. Is that a typo/bugged?

320 Omnigul strike has the Grasp chest, you don't have to do 350s right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Obsurveyor posted:

320 Omnigul strike has the Grasp chest, you don't have to do 350s right?

Correct.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Uffern impact display bugged

good to know.

mag size gets me killed in 6's but for 3's its savage in cramped maps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Obsurveyor posted:

I think he's talking about the part before the strike where you open the door by killing the 3 color coded dudes in patrol.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

good to know.

mag size gets me killed in 6's but for 3's its savage in cramped maps.

I will never understand why weapon display cards and in-game weapon behavior draw from disjoint data sets. Although I bet the reason is someone set it up like that in the beginning, we built a whole game around it before anyone took a second look at it, and now we aren't going to spend the time needed to rebuild it when all the bugs are cosmetic databases.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

I think he's talking about the part before the strike where you open the door by killing the 3 color coded dudes in patrol.

Ohhh yeah, the timing on that is pretty tight basically the duration of a shocklock's super. Those guys are annoying too because they generally don't want to follow you. Best way to do it is to get close so one of them on the side starts chasing you to take a swing and then lead him over to the guy in the middle, put a column between those two and the third guy so he moves up, then super them down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

I will never understand why weapon display cards and in-game weapon behavior draw from disjoint data sets. Although I bet the reason is someone set it up like that in the beginning, we built a whole game around it before anyone took a second look at it, and now we aren't going to spend the time needed to rebuild it when all the bugs are cosmetic databases.

Based on what I've read in the destiny API forums, it's because whoever's maintaining the web services is at the bottom of the food chain. They get their export of the database as an afterthought and reprocess it for use with web services.

But if there's manual tweaks in code or a hotfix or something, those changes never make it into the export and they never show up in the API.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Based on what I've read in the destiny API forums, it's because whoever's maintaining the web services is at the bottom of the food chain. They get their export of the database as an afterthought and reprocess it for use with web services.

But if there's manual tweaks in code or a hotfix or something, those changes never make it into the export and they never show up in the API.

But this even happens inside the game itself. Like, every other patch there's a line in the notes about correcting the stat display of a gun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basically what I'm getting at is that databases are hard man. You just don't get it!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Has anyone gotten the new pink shader from a chest on a 320 strike

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I just picked up Destiny again after not playing since shortly after TTK launch, what's the current gun meta?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

haveblue posted:

But this even happens inside the game itself. Like, every other patch there's a line in the notes about correcting the stat display of a gun.

Arc, displays Void. That's the official Destiny app. The people making these fixes are in an absurdist comedic situation of being in a leaky boat, their fingers plugging the holes, and every time they notice a different leak they unplug one hole to fix it. They somehow keep this Jenga tower in said boat standing so bravo, really.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

poor life choice posted:

I would appreciate this kind of effort post for scout rifles.

Sure! I don't really use Scout Rifles but why not.

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/weapons/primary/scout?desc=1&sort=rof&expansion=roi

Splitting scouts up into their archetypes, we've got 4 total.

Slow (27 rate of fire / 61 impact)
Mid-slow (37 rate of fire / 48 impact)
Mid-fast (42 rate of fire / 38 impact)
Fast (52 rate of fire / 35 impact)

From a TTK standpoint, slow has the fastest ttk followed by the mid-fast archetype. I think its horses for course and you've gotta look into your heart and say "can I really ensure that I hit 3 crits with a slow firing scout rifle before I get my head taken off?" and if your heart answers "yes" then you should see a doctor. If it answers "no" then you should use something more forgiving like a mid-fast archetype.

Slow archetype, from easiest to get to hardest:
1. Keystone (dead orbit packages - follow maker's advice above but dead orbit instead of fwc. The bonus here is that dead orbit packages also include the last ditch shotgun which, perked correctly, is arguably the second best shotgun in the game for PVP).
2. Cocytus (gunsmith packages)
3. Last Extremity (legendary primary engrams)
4. Hand of Judgment (House of Judgment packages - cool thing about this is that it has the new 2-2-1 perk tree which almost guarantees you a good roll when you get one).
X. Jade Rabbit, only if you're on PS4. I think this gun looks rad but the magazine size is laughably small.

Mid-fast archetype, from easier to hardest:
1. Angel's Advocate (Vanguard)
2. Distant Star (Iron Banner)
x. MIDA
xx. I think that tlaloc fits into this archetype when you have full super. Tlaloc is a fun gun that everyone should give another shot.

I'd honestly say just use a MIDA and just hope you'll luck into a good roll on the AA or Distant Star. The only thing that makes the MIDA not a perfect roll imo is the lack of explosive rounds. I'm a HUGE fan of explosive rounds on scout rifles and don't think they're worth using without that perk. The flinch is super obnoxious, especially on a faster firing one.

I think scout rifles are in the same boat as auto rifles right now, there are better special weapons in both of their optimal ranges. For scouts you're going to be at a disadvantage to snipers, for auto rifles you'll be at a disadvantage to shotgunners. Not saying you can't make it work, but it'll be tougher.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frabba posted:

I just picked up Destiny again after not playing since shortly after TTK launch, what's the current gun meta?

High RoF pulse rifles (substitute 81 impact HC's in some cases) paired with a shotgun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cvnvcnv posted:

Arc, displays Void. That's the official Destiny app. The people making these fixes are in an absurdist comedic situation of being in a leaky boat, their fingers plugging the holes, and every time they notice a different leak they unplug one hole to fix it. They somehow keep this Jenga tower in said boat standing so bravo, really.

This is what my workhorse Y2 Hand of Judgement has looked like on web for months:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How does the eyeball consumable work? Is it just one time like a jackolyte that runs out then you're done? Also, maybe one day we'll have jackolytes that don't clip in front of your view when you run.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Menstrual Show posted:

xx. I think that tlaloc fits into this archetype when you have full super. Tlaloc is a fun gun that everyone should give another shot.

Tlaloc is savage as gently caress and arguably better than MIDA (cleaner sight, completely ttk breaking archetype, native Grenadier) but at the cost of camping a super. The problem with this is that of the 3 subclasses this really only applies to Sunsinger and they've been straight up nerfed into the ground while both Shocklock and Voidwalker are very very good right now. Firebolt nades are set to tickle, even with Sunbreakers solar nades are laughably bad and Fusions require either a panic kill trade or really solid nade tossing aim to be good. Stormtrance + Ionic Blink and Void Bomb are clutch as hell which makes Tlaloc v bad.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 27, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Yeah tlaloc owned when firebolts and flame shield were crazy ridic, now that they're bad it's bad

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Btw the raid scout High impact but it is like a Jade rabbit in that you can 2 hs 1 body with a +impact barrel.

Good luck hitting poo poo with it tho, imho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What's the ideal roll for a Last Ditch?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Depends on who you ask but for me it would be Agg Balls, Quickdraw, Hammerforged, Rangefinder.

Please note that Last Ditch cannot roll Rifled/Reinforced and even with stacked range persks (Hand Loaded + Hammer Forged) you cannot reach the impact+range levels of a god roll Matador. I prefer a QD Last Ditch instead of double stacked range perks because I might as well get used to it and pair it with a QD MIDA so I can constantly be ready for weapon switching for the situation I'm in.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 27, 2016

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

aggballs - hand loaded - hammer forged - rangefinder

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

linear comp/hand loaded/hammer forged will put it at 32 range/68 impact which is kind of where you need to be to be in the sweaty shotgun meta. Matador can hit 32/70 I guess so you really shouldn't chase a last ditch, just use it if it's all you got until a matador falls into your lap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Menstrual Show posted:

aggballs - hand loaded - hammer forged - rangefinder

Aggballs on last ditch means you can't hit 32 range, so it's a tradeoff.

Though I guess rangefinder might offset it? I don't know how much range the perk adds.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Aggballs on last ditch means you can't hit 32 range, so it's a tradeoff.

Though I guess rangefinder might offset it? I don't know how much range the perk adds.

5% iirc but I think its weapon dependent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well poo poo. The Last Ditch I have is agg balls - quickdraw - perfect balance - full auto, so I guess I'll be sticking with my Conspiracy Theory.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well poo poo. The Last Ditch I have is agg balls - quickdraw - perfect balance - full auto, so I guess I'll be sticking with my Conspiracy Theory.

Yeah, the story CT-D is still very competitive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For future reference, full auto on a crucible shotgun is a big red flag that it's a bad roll. :v:

edit - as if on cue, I tabbed to reddit and saw a post about full auto matadors which had this image.

a) the OHK range is garbage with full auto
b) :laffo: at matador's OHK range.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 27, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Can you elaborate on that because of my 2 agg bals/rifled/rangefinder matadors I like the full auto one better

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Hey, guys, just a heads up:

I'm going to be playing Titanfall 2 all weekend, so I won't be playing much(any) trials. To the three goons who PayPaled me funds for a guaranteed flawless Lighthouse visit... I have received your money. I can take you all next week if you want to wait. If not, I can return your money but I want to remind you there is a 7% non-refundable processing fee as outlined in the buyers agreement.

I can't remember what everyone's forum name was, so go ahead and reply here with what you want to do.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FishBulb posted:

Can you elaborate on that because of my 2 agg bals/rifled/rangefinder matadors I like the full auto one better

The only impact class for shotguns that reliablly kill are 70.
70 impact shotties have super slow RoF's.
The only thing that's going to happen between shot 1 where you didn't kill them and the second shot is you getting melee'd
The gently caress do you need a second shot for? You done hosed up by not killing them with the first. Enjoy being dead to a melee or that dude's non auto 70 impact shotgun.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

el B posted:

Hey, guys, just a heads up:

I'm going to be playing Titanfall 2 all weekend, so I won't be playing much(any) trials. To the three goons who PayPaled me funds for a guaranteed flawless Lighthouse visit... I have received your money. I can take you all next week if you want to wait. If not, I can return your money but I want to remind you there is a 7% non-refundable processing fee as outlined in the buyers agreement.

I can't remember what everyone's forum name was, so go ahead and reply here with what you want to do.

I hope this is a joke poom

I really do

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only impact class for shotguns that reliablly kill are 70.
70 impact shotties have super slow RoF's.
The only thing that's going to happen between shot 1 where you didn't kill them and the second shot is you getting melee'd
The gently caress do you need a second shot for? You done hosed up by not killing them with the first. Enjoy being dead to a melee or that dude's non auto 70 impact shotgun.

It helps sometimes with multiple engagements or just general recovery time before you can perform another action I dunno man I just like the way it feels better. But if that range picture is legit obviously I'm not gunna stick with it.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 27, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Full auto perk has a base penalty to pellet spread, it has a wider cone so you end up needing to get closer to your target. You will get fewer OHK's with it than without it. Maybe the second shot will save you, but why not just kill them on the first shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

FishBulb posted:

I hope this is a joke poom

I really do

Haha yeah sorry man. But I'm gonna be rear end deep on this new game, plus some other real life poo poo I gotta take care of.

Do you want me to hang on to your money? And you can pick the day next weekend?

• Locked thread