Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I think the problem is more that you DIDN'T pee.

edit: can't read properly, that's weird that that's your death message then.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

But I did pee. I even peed on the sauna stove thingy. Saw the pee come out.

I also alt-tabbed out of the program.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tunahead posted:

It won't be an authentically Finnish experience if you don't get some of those lovely microwave pitsas.
I often wonder if other countries have anything similar to our beloved mudflaps. I mean of course crappy processed microwave food is everywhere, but these things are such a classic.

widespread posted:

But I did pee. I even peed on the sauna stove thingy. Saw the pee come out.

Too little, too late, maybe?

Or then the game struck you dead for the affront of peeing in the sauna. You disgusting savage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

But it looks like there is an achievement for it!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There's also an achievement just for dying sooo....

But I've seen video of people surviving so it SHOULDN'T kill you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well I haven't managed much. I got the van going and drove..in a direction. I should have looked at the map. I rolled the drat thing down an embankment then sat on top of it drinking beer until I found the Push button. After some time I found a main road (and realised I was driving with the hand brake on), accidentally mowed down a police officer then plowed straight into a tree and died then and there.

I'll make it to the store one day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Once you learn how to drive, you can really start flying down those dirt roads. You'll quickly learn why Finns are the greatest drivers in the world. when I go to the store I buy all the milks and all the sausages. If I'm working on the car, I drink the milks because it lowers thirst and hunger at the same time and doesn't make the view all screwy. When I'm on the road I drink beer because who cares, I'm flying in that sewage truck. If I hit someone, they are dead, not me.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Yeah, the sewage truck is awesome. After watching another Finnish streamer going flat out in it, it really does seem you can't die while driving it. Or going +80kmh into a tree isn't enough to kill you :v: (You can still flip the loving thing, and no amount of pushing is gonna help, guess how I found that out..)
Also, I got the engine on the hoist (thanks to the hint given here), but gently caress if I can figure out how to get it in the car. No amount of fiddling with or without the hoist helps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Following the guide, they want you to put the engine in before the suspension bits. I didn't do that. I put in all the front suspension bits and the half shafts in the car and then went to mount the engine. Place it in the car and then line up the transmission with the half shafts. Once those line up, the bolts will appear on the motor mounts. Two in the front on the sides and one in the back in the middle.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Line up the gray pad in the rear back part of the engine with the stub on the subframe, probably easiest way

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Yeah I already got everything else but half shafts and radiator hoses in place, I'll do the shafts and check what happens. Also I had some cesspit cleaning jobs waiting, and as usual when you save, the markers disappeared from the map. But now they called me right back, and got the markers back on the map. I don't remember that happening before, maybe the patch fixed that. Also my trick for these jobs is to leave the truck near the shop, and then just boat across the lake when needed. Saves time :)
[edit] Oh I think someone was wondering about where to empty the truck. Just do it anywhere, the game doesn't care :lol:

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
loving hell, don't try to push the car from the pit, or this might happen

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

JointHorse posted:

[edit] Oh I think someone was wondering about where to empty the truck. Just do it anywhere, the game doesn't care :lol:

I hit 10k liters while emptying one guy's tank so I dumped it on the ground at his house and restarted the pump. He didn't seem to care. I really wish there was a way I could spray the shop guy with it though. Like if I could hook the hose up to the output and just drag the hose into his shop. I piss on him whenever I get the chance.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
My car runs and goes into gear but has no drive and I'm this close to drinking three full crates of beer and walking into the lake

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've been following a YouTube series step-by-step on building the engine and suspension. He only builds one half of the suspension so I had to work off of recent memory on mirroring the other side. Thing is, everything is in place and bolted in (I hope) but no matter what I do I can't get the second loving half rod in.

I've tried gripping it on both ends and in the center. I've tried placing it both ways you can (flipping it). I've tried placing it both ways while gripping either end and the center from both the outside and inside where the engine would sit. I cannot get that loving checkmark to show up desite placing the part visually where it looks like it goes and seeing if it goes off detecting where your little dot cursor is. I've even tried desperately grabbing the part and doing tight little circles with the mouse while doing larger circles around the screen in hopes of getting a brief glimpse of a checkmark to flash in the center.

WHAT THE gently caress AM I DOING WRONG!?!?

Also his engine and suspension videos have no overdub and just abruptly end. There is no interior video. So here's hoping all these parts left lying around are for the dash and I can figure out building that thing on my own...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The half shaft shares a bolt with the brake disc so if you tightened that, it probably won't go on.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
yesIdidthankyou

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
I got the satsuma built. Ran like poo poo and brakes didn't work and alignment was waaay off. Took it to the mechanic because couldn't figure the brake problem out and got alignment, engine adjustment and tune at the same time.

Couple days later I pick it up and it runs and handles like a dream, no problem doing 130km/h on the freeway with 5 cases of beer in the trunk.

...and then piston #4 shoots out when I'm half a kilometer from home.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I can't wait for some time to pass and Steam guides to be written for people like me who literally know nothing but the basics of cars. Last night when putting the suspension together I learned that apparently alignment is adjusted but two little screws where the suspension connects to the wheel.

I was able to build most of the suspension and engine following a couple YouTube videos but when I start the thing up and need to diagnose any problems (like fire) I'd like a guide to utilize.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There is guide on the wiki.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Thanks Cojawfee for the tip. Slapped the half shafts in, and they gave me the extra visual help that I needed to finally get the engine close enough for the engine mount bolts to show. Installed the last of the bits in, and the engine fired right up! Runs like poo poo, because no oil/coolant/carb tune, but hey it runs!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
About to sound like a moron, but is the car FWD or RWD?

e: *looks at gearbox mounted to engine*

Ah, that'll explain that one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

There is guide on the wiki.

To diagnose problems that occur? All I've seen on it was a brief step-by-step to building the engine.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I gifted a copy of this to my dad - a professional mechanic of over 40 years experience. He had the car up and working within 25 minutes, and keeps sending me screenshots of him cruising merrily around virtual Finland.

The bastard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It tells you how to build the engine and the chassis as well as how to set everything up. As far as I'm aware, any issues just involve rebuilding things.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
The game is really not that hard if you have basic knowledge of how a cart is put together, however, you will fight the UI the whole way through.

I'm more impressed that the car mechanic dad was able to work his way through the awkward find and click the invisible snap point that fast than putting the parts together. The only dead end you can hit is if you mount some part too early, but there are only a few critical parts that will block your progress. Work with logic, you want to build from the frame outwards.

E: is it just me or was the sprint feature stripped from the steam release (holding left shift by default)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like you get paid per firewood so it is worth it to fill it up.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

So how do I get the engine to actually play ball and mount? I see the engine mount brackets but I can't seem to get a bolt to show up.

I'm hoping I didn't miss anything out during the engine build...

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
It really is fiddly with it's placement, so just keep working on it. And you might want to try what I just did, install the half shafts so you have another point to see if the engine is in the right place. And the bolts for the motor mounts are under the mounts themselves, so it's really hard to see when the engine is close enough for them to appear.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I managed to get my car to start, however briefly, which felt pretty sweet. Any tricks to getting fluids in? It's even worse than some of the small bolts or parts.

Also I'm with whoever mentioned it's super hard to gauge if you need a smaller or larger tool. It's easy in real life, but throw on some oldish graphics, very similar sizes, random distances at which you're seeing the bolt, and a 2D screen and sometimes I go through half my toolbox before I find the right one. Would be cool if hovering the wrong tool over a bolt showed like an up or down arrow.

E: Also, pretty proud of myself! I only looked up how exactly to mount the engine (the bolts appearing is super hard to notice!) and a bit about the steering/front suspension. For whatever reason you can't mount the steering ... middle part on the sub frame until you put the struts on, which is weird because they don't connect at all until you attach the next bit.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 27, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I managed to get my car to start, however briefly, which felt pretty sweet. Any tricks to getting fluids in? It's even worse than some of the small bolts or parts.

Also I'm with whoever mentioned it's super hard to gauge if you need a smaller or larger tool. It's easy in real life, but throw on some oldish graphics, very similar sizes, random distances at which you're seeing the bolt, and a 2D screen and sometimes I go through half my toolbox before I find the right one. Would be cool if hovering the wrong tool over a bolt showed like an up or down arrow.

E: Also, pretty proud of myself! I only looked up how exactly to mount the engine (the bolts appearing is super hard to notice!) and a bit about the steering/front suspension. For whatever reason you can't mount the steering ... middle part on the sub frame until you put the struts on, which is weird because they don't connect at all until you attach the next bit.

No trick to the fluids, they're an enormous pain in the rear end. It took me forever. The developer said he plans to fix that in the next patch. I had a hell of a time with the radiator hoses, too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hillo posted:

I got the satsuma built. Ran like poo poo and brakes didn't work and alignment was waaay off. Took it to the mechanic because couldn't figure the brake problem out and got alignment, engine adjustment and tune at the same time.

Couple days later I pick it up and it runs and handles like a dream, no problem doing 130km/h on the freeway with 5 cases of beer in the trunk.

...and then piston #4 shoots out when I'm half a kilometer from home.

poo poo, is that piston actually BENT?

I do like how most stories about this game end with a screenshot of the player flipping something off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Would be cool if hovering the wrong tool over a bolt showed like an up or down arrow.

This would actually be the perfect way to do it, because that's basically the feedback you get in real life. Right now, in the game, you just have to keep guessing.

So when your piston shoots out and bends, can you order another from the store or what? How do you replace parts that go flying off into the lake or whatever?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't see any parts like that in the catalog. Maybe it's something he plans on adding. Maybe you can also take it to the shop and get it fixed in the mean time. I'm currently waiting for him to fix my alignment, brakes and windshield. I don't want to mess with alignment, I know I clamped every nut on the brakes and filled up every reservoir but they still don't work. The windscreen got bashed out when I clicked to install the dashboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JointHorse posted:

Yeah, the sewage truck is awesome. After watching another Finnish streamer going flat out in it, it really does seem you can't die while driving it. Or going +80kmh into a tree isn't enough to kill you :v: (You can still flip the loving thing, and no amount of pushing is gonna help, guess how I found that out..)
Also, I got the engine on the hoist (thanks to the hint given here), but gently caress if I can figure out how to get it in the car. No amount of fiddling with or without the hoist helps.

Good news! There's a game just for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2U6V6TqAY

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the voice acting is amazing

absolutely life like

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a way to sleep in the back of your van? I got to the gas station as I'm almost out of gas, but it's the middle of the night so I can't buy anything. Even the pub is closed.

Also, does the menu not actually pause the game?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well I managed to get the engine in, and now the radiator hoses are on. I couldn't see any way to "secure" them. The metal banding looks like a jubilee clip, but the screwdriver doesn't want to know. Are those just gonna stay on there?

Also, watch this alongside playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

StarkRavingMad posted:

poo poo, is that piston actually BENT?

I do like how most stories about this game end with a screenshot of the player flipping something off.

Yes, I was 200% happy after spending like 6 hours ingame to get the car running and had plans to make the car better and then the engine made a loud boom and came to a halt.

Time to haul some poo poo for FIM and get it running again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What's weird and what I love is that these failures in a normal game might be infuriating but here they're just exciting new challenges.

• Locked thread