Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mordiceius posted:

This is just me pulling a theory out of my rear end, but I think it would make most sense to have the new jobs aligned on gear with the leased amount of jobs already assigned.

If Red Mage, have them wear Striking.
If Samurai, have them wear Maiming.
If Dancer, have them wear Scouting.

Potentially the most sensible route. Maybe swap Dancer and RDM if my theory about Dancers being 'undercover dance monks who joined the circus' turns out accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I feel like it would be easier to add int to existing dps gear (where it wouldn't benefit existing classes anyway) than to make whole new gear categories.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DapperDuck posted:

But you are fooling yourself if you think that we are getting anything besides SAM as a tank this summer.

SAM is going to be an int-based medium armor DPS (like DRG) centered around Draw Out skills like in FFT and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

They've already made a conscious decision to not make SAM a tank once before so it'd be weird for them to just up and reverse that since we already have one and two handed sword-based tanks now.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Knowing SE, SAM is probably going to have Bushido Blade references out the wazoo.

Good. Bushido Blade owns and they need to make a new one for modern consoles and PC.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Or else the 4.0 combat revamp will do away with party roles entirely and all DF matching will be PotD style.

Don't even joke about poo poo like this someone may hear you and think it's a good idea.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

POTD pubs really are bitchy as hell.

Pull a single extra mob on accident? get a lecture about how it's wasting time and we don't need to kill everything.

Die because of pox and the healer won't even toss me a pity healer? Well should have used a potion!!!!

The first one was because the cairn wasn't even active yet, as well. :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

2 SPOOKY posted:

In a world where your point and captain oblivious' points are mutually exclusive, id rather have better balanced tanks/heals and more dps classes.

This is a really tough choice and I don't envy anyone who has to make it, because keeping the tanks and healers fewer to make it easier to keep them balanced means that adding new DPS jobs would do awful things to queue times. Meanwhile, adding new tanks or healers makes it even harder to keep them balanced. (Though I think they could probably do that for healers, at least, if they broke out of the "you either heal with regens or shields" paradigm with a new healer job.)

I think I'd lean towards the second option--more tank/healer options, even if it means fluctuating balance--because it helps keep queue times bearable, but also I'm not currently playing a tank or healer so I'm biased in favor of reasonable DPS queue times.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You could add 10 more tank classes, and you're not going to change dps queue times. People that want to tank are going to pick a tank and use them. People that don't are going to going to play dps. Any temporary benefit in the lower levels because people are levelling new tanks will be offset by the addition of a new dps class and people using them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Having a tank with self-heals that generate additional enmity sounds pretty rad.

e: though it would have to have some serious limitations to not be op af

Oh yeah XI PLD was simply riveting. Stand in place and spam Cures on yourself because that's more enmity than the rest of your toolkit :thumbsup:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You could add 10 more tank classes, and you're not going to change dps queue times. People that want to tank are going to pick a tank and use them. People that don't are going to going to play dps. Any temporary benefit in the lower levels because people are levelling new tanks will be offset by the addition of a new dps class and people using them.

Mostly this. 14 has also removed the solo-queue requirement from LLDR and such, so no dps are forced to queue alone anymore. I've always hated the "get friends lol" response to dps queues in Trinity mmos, but I think it's most applicable in 14.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I haven't been able to log in since last night, so...

Newbie perma-group blind instance run: Leviathan

We finally got back into the main story instances after a break to do some level 50 dungeons.

Group: WAR, PLD (me), WHM, SCH, MNK, SMN, MNK (random), BRD (random)

As usual, we warned the two Duty Finder pubbies that we were new to the encounter and were going in blind. They were very cool with it. This usually seems to be the case -- I guess Famfrit is just a chill server.

One of the pubs said "there's one spot where you can do something to avoid a group wipe, do you want me to handle it?". We said sure.

The fight started, and our WAR grabbed the head while I moved to tank the tail. Even now I'm not sure if this was actually necessary, but the tail did stay focused on me, so I guess? Our DPS split pretty evenly between the two sides. Occasionally a couple of adds would pop up, and I'd wrangle them with a shield toss and bring them back to the tail. I didn't notice the adds doing anything particularly noteworthy, but we did kill them quickly just in case.

About halfway through the fight, some spumes (what a grotesque word) appeared, and we killed them. A ginormous message popped up saying that some generator was charged. We'd noticed the clickable thingie in the middle of the raft, so someone clicked on it. A shield popped up, and then Leviathan blasted us with water, which hit the shield. I'm guessing this was the thing that would have wiped us if we'd missed it.

After that, it was more of the same. Sometimes the raft would get tipped or there would be an AOE across the middle, but the attacks were easily avoided and/or healed through.

The head and tail were both getting very low on health. Not knowing whether it was a mechanic of the fight, we decided to kill them both at the same time by shifting some DPS around. Both died within about a second of each other. Necessary? No idea! Fun! Hell yeah!

And that was our anti-climactic Leviathan trial. I'm sure it's harder at minimum ilvl, but the mechanics in general didn't seem difficult at all -- several of the level 50 Hard mode dungeons have much more challenging bosses.

Afterward, we decided to run Tam-Tara Hard Mode. Maybe I'll type that up later tonight if I still can't log in to the goddamn game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

This is a really tough choice and I don't envy anyone who has to make it, because keeping the tanks and healers fewer to make it easier to keep them balanced means that adding new DPS jobs would do awful things to queue times. Meanwhile, adding new tanks or healers makes it even harder to keep them balanced. (Though I think they could probably do that for healers, at least, if they broke out of the "you either heal with regens or shields" paradigm with a new healer job.)

I think I'd lean towards the second option--more tank/healer options, even if it means fluctuating balance--because it helps keep queue times bearable, but also I'm not currently playing a tank or healer so I'm biased in favor of reasonable DPS queue times.

This is all is based off the assumption that if you add a bunch of DPS classes, people are going to forever abandon playing a tank or a healer so they can play the DPS class and that if you add more tank/healer classes, people will abandon playing a DPS for those classes.

I don't agree with that idea. While the numbers may fluctuate slightly, I would venture to guess that the general percentages of tanks/dps/healers will remain pretty close no matter what classes you add.

In 2014, there was 13% healer, 19% tank, 68% dps.
In 2015, there was 19% healer, 19% tank, and 62% dps.

Adding 2 more DPS classes won't mean that you'll have significantly more DPS players, it just means that you'll have more variety in the classes you do see in your groups.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

SAM is going to be an int-based medium armor DPS (like DRG) centered around Draw Out skills like in FFT and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

You also get to equip 6 different swords, each with one gimmick ability. After casting the ability the weapon breaks and you need to switch to another.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't been able to log in since last night, so...

Newbie perma-group blind instance run: Leviathan

We finally got back into the main story instances after a break to do some level 50 dungeons.

Group: WAR, PLD (me), WHM, SCH, MNK, SMN, MNK (random), BRD (random)

As usual, we warned the two Duty Finder pubbies that we were new to the encounter and were going in blind. They were very cool with it. This usually seems to be the case -- I guess Famfrit is just a chill server.

One of the pubs said "there's one spot where you can do something to avoid a group wipe, do you want me to handle it?". We said sure.

The fight started, and our WAR grabbed the head while I moved to tank the tail. Even now I'm not sure if this was actually necessary, but the tail did stay focused on me, so I guess? Our DPS split pretty evenly between the two sides. Occasionally a couple of adds would pop up, and I'd wrangle them with a shield toss and bring them back to the tail. I didn't notice the adds doing anything particularly noteworthy, but we did kill them quickly just in case.

About halfway through the fight, some spumes (what a grotesque word) appeared, and we killed them. A ginormous message popped up saying that some generator was charged. We'd noticed the clickable thingie in the middle of the raft, so someone clicked on it. A shield popped up, and then Leviathan blasted us with water, which hit the shield. I'm guessing this was the thing that would have wiped us if we'd missed it.

After that, it was more of the same. Sometimes the raft would get tipped or there would be an AOE across the middle, but the attacks were easily avoided and/or healed through.

The head and tail were both getting very low on health. Not knowing whether it was a mechanic of the fight, we decided to kill them both at the same time by shifting some DPS around. Both died within about a second of each other. Necessary? No idea! Fun! Hell yeah!

And that was our anti-climactic Leviathan trial. I'm sure it's harder at minimum ilvl, but the mechanics in general didn't seem difficult at all -- several of the level 50 Hard mode dungeons have much more challenging bosses.

Afterward, we decided to run Tam-Tara Hard Mode. Maybe I'll type that up later tonight if I still can't log in to the goddamn game.

Mog is the last HM primal that's remotely challenging even at min ilvl. This is because starting with leviathan, ex primals were added in the same patch as the story mode ones, so they hid all the challenge in extreme.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If we do get Dancer I can't see them wearing anything other than Striking gear if they're a DPS job, just because of the gear aesthetics, let alone the stat builds. If they do end up being a DEX based physical attacker, they'd have to take Scouting gear in weird directions to fit, but a STR based DPS makes more sense with the current breakdown of jobs and available right side gear, since we only have two STR jobs and 3 DEX jobs for DPS.

Same deal applies for RDM if it's a DPS, it'll be INT based and just wear Casting gear unless they go and add INT to an existing job's armor like the Maiming sets.

In any case, somebody new is going to have to wear existing armor because the drop tables are already ridiculous and short of "This armor adds to your Main Stat" shenanigans they need to do something with at least 2 new jobs coming next year.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WhiteHowler posted:

They share health - the head deals damage to ranged attackers and the tail deals damage to casters if they hit it, so they share health to demand two tanks and give all the non-melee guys a target that they have to learn to pick.

(you didn't ask but I'm telling you anyway)

On a vaguely related note, how the gently caress does Mentor Roulette work? I just got put in Amdapor Hard with no new player bonus. What the hell?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mentor Roulette is just "anything that's open". It doesn't actually care that much about new players.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They share health - the head deals damage to ranged attackers and the tail deals damage to casters if they hit it, so they share health to demand two tanks and give all the non-melee guys a target that they have to learn to pick.

(you didn't ask but I'm telling you anyway)
Oh, huh. I have no idea if anyone was choosing a target based on that. Our healers weren't screaming that people were taking too much damage, so maybe? It's a stupidly easy fight to tank, so I was kind of brainlessly mashing my rotation and occasionally wrangling adds.

I didn't know they shared a health pool. I thought we were just being really good at splitting our damage evenly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's a lot more for healers to do in that fight, so if they'd had an issue, you probably would have known.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kwyndig posted:

Mentor Roulette is just "anything that's open". It doesn't actually care that much about new players.

Which is so loving annoying. :argh:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, huh. I have no idea if anyone was choosing a target based on that. Our healers weren't screaming that people were taking too much damage, so maybe? It's a stupidly easy fight to tank, so I was kind of brainlessly mashing my rotation and occasionally wrangling adds.

I didn't know they shared a health pool. I thought we were just being really good at splitting our damage evenly.

The arena tilting is also a mechanic in extreme mode since after that giant water attack, the rails fall off. If you're not standing on the right side, you fall off and can't be raised.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What is going on with the connection issues today?

I can't log in with my main on Famfrit, but it let me create and log in with a new character on Diabolos, which is also on the Primal data center.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

level3 is loving up is the short version

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

WhiteHowler posted:

Good it's not just me.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Right now, there are three jobs that wear VIT, three that wear MND, and three that wear DEX. INT and STR only have two a piece, which is why I strongly doubt RDM is going to be anything other than INT-based.

The one thing I could potentially see them do to deal with the left-side situation is break it out so every job gets their own armor. Probably palette swaps most of the time, but out with "of Casting" left side and in with BLM only gear. It would be possible for them to do this without making everything garbage, but it would require them to restrict dungeon drops to the jobs present and possibly make it so end game content only ever dropped gear tokens (like the antique tokens for i90 AF) instead of directly dropping items.
This would balloon the item database going forward, but it would let them have separate styles of gear when it's warranted, without making drop RNG even shittier.

Dr Pepper posted:

Not true. They could use "Of Casting" sets with some kind of passive trait to provide multipliers to their DEF/MDF stats, they could use their own unique set of gear like Dragoons currently do.
I really can't see them having a piece of gear drop that caters to two different roles altogether. That's the way the playerbase treated striking right-side and we know what happened with that.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Having a tank with self-heals that generate additional enmity sounds pretty rad.
A tank having self-heals can be ok (but we'd need a big overhaul to how tanks work in this game for it to be reasonable), but it being your primary means of generating enmity is not fantastic. See FFXI, the game where tanking paladins often used a staff.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I did the thing

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'd keep an eye on that Au'ra if I were you. :whitewater:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
If I had to guess, Red Mage is probably going to be a Melee healer who's DPS is mostly going to come from Sorcerer-style auto attack buffs, but Doublecast is going to be their big mechanic, where for several GCDs they'll get their Int buffed to mirror their Mind, their buffs will become actual attacking spells (like Fire Sword becomes Fira or something) and they'll be able use one GCD ability as an oGCD per global cooldown.

I'm still curious why the RDM=Tank idea is making the rounds, though. Is it just FFXI?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pretty much just FFXI yeah, every other game RDM has just been a general caster.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I'd keep an eye on that Au'ra if I were you. :whitewater:

Maybe, the Au Ra picks up the Lalafell and throws them like a projectile? I mean, I would.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Maybe, the Au Ra picks up the Lalafell and throws them like a projectile? I mean, I would.

Like as some sort of comic book power move, or just to get rid of the little fucker?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My uncle works at Nintendo and he says that the new class is going to super saiyan and its going to be able to equip all weapons and armor and cast every spell and it will have better stats than everything else and it's going to be so awesome you guys!!!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Like as some sort of comic book power move, or just to get rid of the little fucker?

Intending the former. Causing the latter.

Mashed potatoes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Did my first 4 star crafts tonight. I think it's the first time ever that i've been caught up on the crafting curve.
So far, i'm at 70% HQ turnout over ~30 crafts (though i royally hosed up 2 of them by pressing the wrong buttons). How good/bad is this, considering a starting quality of 39? Seems a bit unreliable to me, there's been quite a few 18% or 23% that still ended up HQ. But yeah, first time i've been on the bleeding edge of this, so i'm not sure how to judge it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mr. Locke posted:

I'm still curious why the RDM=Tank idea is making the rounds, though. Is it just FFXI?

Because a Tank is the best way to have a character that can both use weaponskills, cast spells, and side-heal while still being able to perform its role in the party.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Die because of pox and the healer won't even toss me a pity healer? Well should have used a potion!!!!

This one is fair, if you've done POTD more than a single time, you have multiple stacks of every tier of potion already.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Because a Tank is the best way to have a character that can both use weaponskills, cast spells, and side-heal while still being able to perform its role in the party.

But we already have that. It's the Healer role- they DPS, they heal, and the only reason they don't Weaponskill is because they haven't made one that had reason to have them. Tank RDM sounds like the most square peg/round hole role forcing just to justify it being able to actually DO everything, when it's just much more likely they'll be flavored to do all those things while still having their primary role, like other classes that should really be two things based on previous FF flavor like Summoner or Dark Knight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Did my first 4 star crafts tonight. I think it's the first time ever that i've been caught up on the crafting curve.
So far, i'm at 70% HQ turnout over ~30 crafts (though i royally hosed up 2 of them by pressing the wrong buttons). How good/bad is this, considering a starting quality of 39? Seems a bit unreliable to me, there's been quite a few 18% or 23% that still ended up HQ. But yeah, first time i've been on the bleeding edge of this, so i'm not sure how to judge it.

I'd say I have about a 75% HQ rate using only normal quality materials. Normal quality isn't the end of the world for intermediate materials like ingots, since you can combine them with other materials that are easier to HQ for the final product.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mr. Locke posted:

But we already have that. It's the Healer role- they DPS, they heal, and the only reason they don't Weaponskill is because they haven't made one that had reason to have them. Tank RDM sounds like the most square peg/round hole role forcing just to justify it being able to actually DO everything, when it's just much more likely they'll be flavored to do all those things while still having their primary role, like other classes that should really be two things based on previous FF flavor like Summoner or Dark Knight.

Healers also DPSing is why I highly doubt Red Mage will be a healer. It isn't as a mechanically unique thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Red Mage makes sense as DPS to me. Make it do a mixture of magic and magical sword DPS and throw some buffs out as well that are similar to bard songs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
All I know is I want Red Mages to have

- the classic gear
- sick rapiers
- doublecast

everything else is gravy

• Locked thread