Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if I should be happy that the AI has absolutely no idea what to do with its missionaries / apostles, which makes religious victory less of an issue, or angry that they hoard those units and make movements a loving pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jastiger posted:

And a holy site.

Techincally you can shortcut this with Stonehenge since the Great Prophet it gives you can be used as the activation site.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Staltran posted:

That's the AI we have though, and that's probably not going to change. Hopefully they'll at least patch the AI so it realizes when it could just take your capital instead of just shuffling their units around it until reinforcements arrive and walls get built.

Besides the whole death stack thing is also because of AI not programmed to handle stacks properly. The AI in Civ 4 had a single stack moving around on the map and a garrison stack in every city, because that way it couldn't look like a complete moron. If they had done something else the AI would have constantly lost cities because it left them lightly defended when it shouldn't have, heavily defended cities that weren't threatened at all leaving them without enough units where they actually needed them, or tried to attack with stacks that weren't big enough to actually achieve anything. So you give the AI massive production bonuses so that it can afford to defend everywhere, and that means a human player can only conquer an AI if they get extremely hammer efficient trades. Since the AI only has one stack, you also only need one stack. Civ 4 mp on the other hand has a heavy emphasis on 2-movers and ships, since humans don't have the production to defend everywhere at once.

1UPT would be far more palatable if they let you stack units, but you couldn't attack while stacked and everything in the stack took damage if attacked or something. That would take care of the traffic jams and needing to give new move commands constantly. Also the goddamn city states couldn't block your settlers in chokepoints :argh:. And the AI couldn't block your workers/great people/whatever with their missionaries. Though I've managed to move my religious units to stack with AI units by giving the command when I can't see the AI unit, which then lets you keep moving to other hexes occupied by the AI and walk through their unit carpet to their city to convert it.

I've not seen a TBS game with a particularly effective tactical AI and most games have an easier time than civ doing it because they have static maps and situations.

In civ 4, stacks of doom were absolutely not optimal. If you see humans in MP, they don't stack very much because there's actually no combat advantage to it- there are 4x games that do make stacks better and they're much much worse. The only advantage stacking offers in civ 4 is that it picks the best defender. Otherwise, combat is still 1 on 1, and there's collateral damage to boot. Still, the AI putting together its mobile stack and attacking with it was credible enough when it had enough of an advantage. The problem stacks had was based on the UI's lack of ability to present them clearly more than anything else, and I can dig that objection to stacks.

I'm not saying this as someone who thinks civ 4 is flawless. It has some problems, but having played civ 6 some more, i'm finding it's just more bloated than it needed to be and very safe design-wise.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Powercrazy posted:

even giving you a score and comparing you to a historical leader aren't present for some reason.

This is from a few pages back but this feature is still totally in, second tab on the victory screen. I had a game where I annihilated everyone in tech, culture, relgion, everything, but I only had three cities so I had a terrible score. Warren G Harding wouldn't have kicked France's rear end and liberated Toronto, video game! <:mad:>

Geight fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cobbsprite posted:

To be honest I really want to turn off religion a lot of the time, because the INSANE missionary spam is just frustrating me to death. I'm thiiiis close to just declaring war as soon as I see an AI is going for religion, and taking them out immediately. It's not worth the hassle in the long run.

Cleopatra just declared war on me for converting her cities. :(

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like a lot of these changes are just "I disagree with the devs who maybe had reasons for doing this but I don't care" instead of actual fixes

Yeah this was like three quarters of Civ 5 modding, why would it be any different for this game?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Does anyone have a problem with crashes? My crashes regularly. I'm talking 10-15 times per game. No errors or anything. The game just freezes and hard crashes to desktop.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brannock posted:

Yeah this was like three quarters of Civ 5 modding, why would it be any different for this game?

Just because you can etc etc

Like those cavalry changes are dumb. "They have horses so they're Cavalry :downs:"

Hamlet442 posted:

Does anyone have a problem with crashes? My crashes regularly. I'm talking 10-15 times per game. No errors or anything. The game just freezes and hard crashes to desktop.

I have an as of yet unresolved problem where my game crashes every time I try to capture a city in my Greg game but their support has been trying to figure out why with me at least.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 27, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The theme song is growing on me. It's no Baba Yetu but it's catchy enough.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How does religious influence spread? I know the UI is terrible, but I am wondering if there is actually any way to see if, say, Holy City is actually influencing Other City, and if so, how long it would take to convert Other City to my religion. I had suzerain bonuses for Jerusalem but saw like, no influence on anything. Is it just really, really slow?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Cobbsprite posted:

"Wweh wweh, things have changed and I don't like change."
I like "change" in the abstract as much as anyone does. That's a weird accusation to level at anyone IMO.

quote:

If you're trying to take a real look at whether or not changes are better (instead of just changes or taking away broken strategies you personally liked), that's possible to do.
This is 100% true. There are bunch of great effort posts from civfanatics and various blogs from playtesting up until the last expansion was released that get detailed on how production and cities changed between 4 and 5. I'm guessing anyone posting on the millionth page of this thread has already read it and doesn't care or disagrees.

e: I don't care one way or another about the commerce slider. Never bothered me but its absence doesn't bother me either. I guess not having it takes away some decision-making and progression (techs unlocked the different sliders) so if I had to choose I'd bring it back and people who don't like it can just leave it on 100% gold, which is what we have now basically.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 28, 2016

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Game's real fun, but I really wish they'd tell me that an Acropolis needed hills in the build menu tooltip. Please don't tell me "that's what acropolis means, idiot."

For that matter, I wish there was more everything in the tooltips. Also an intel system that doesn't involve reading dozens of useless reports to try to figure out what wonders are being built.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Indeed. More than any complaint I've heard thus far, what most bothered me was how I couldn't see what was going on at the beginning of each turn just so I could be informed of who was trading with who. Those messages need to be smaller, less frequent, more relevant , and have the option to suppress them entirely.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My new favorite moment is when Denmark guy denounces me for not having a powerful navy on an inland start. Then I buy 2 caravels on a lake for the Eureka and he goes "MY MAN".

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Have a city with a spot of grassland surrounded by 6 mountains... any reason to not put a campus or holy site on it?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Asproigerosis posted:

Have a city with a spot of grassland surrounded by 6 mountains... any reason to not put a campus or holy site on it?

Don't have it be your only campus or holy site when you get prophets or scientists, otherwise you'll have no way to pop the great people. You'll also miss out on an adjacency bonus for later districts, but that's negligible compared to the mountain benefit.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
I converted some barbarian horsemen with boudicca, but I cant get them to heal? Is this a bug or is that intended? That's really awful if so.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
The thing I like most so far is that somehow all Civs I tried yet feel overpowered.

HRE/Germany "Hi, I can outproduce the AI on Empire, can very easily take some random city states with a warrior and 2 slingers or so. Also, all of my cities get an extra district.
If you avoid expanding too rapidly (and thus increasing the prize of your districts too much), you get a lot of production.

Skythia:
Insane unit sell abuse with some policies. Simply insane. A fairly early city can, as Skythia, pump out a Horseman per turn (actually, 2 horsemen in 2 turns but I digress), one of them is then sold for some 150 bucks. Effectively, this city does +75 gold production per turn while producing horsemen.

Gorgo: AI cannot deal with Hoplites. Extra Culture and a great extra slot is awesome.

Egypt: AI cannot even remotely deal with the mounted chariots. Wonderspam gets difficult and higher difficulties though.

Russia: Mostly a matter of finding places for all those great persons. Wreck the 2 most dangerous civs with Cossacks when they become available.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mightypeon posted:

The thing I like most so far is that somehow all Civs I tried yet feel overpowered.

I like that too. I think they went with the philosophy that if everybody is overpowered then it's balanced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

How does religious influence spread? I know the UI is terrible, but I am wondering if there is actually any way to see if, say, Holy City is actually influencing Other City, and if so, how long it would take to convert Other City to my religion. I had suzerain bonuses for Jerusalem but saw like, no influence on anything. Is it just really, really slow?

Pressure extends, by default, 10 tiles away from any city with a majority religion, for that majority religion.

It is slow, but packing your cities in a bit densely will help them push each other into your religon, it's useful for, say, if you have a few too many people and you just want to use missionaries to give your cities a little push in the right direction, the ambient pressure from a few converted cities will do the rest.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

turboraton posted:

My new favorite moment is when Denmark guy denounces me for not having a powerful navy on an inland start. Then I buy 2 caravels on a lake for the Eureka and he goes "MY MAN".

I've had him compliment me on my strong navy when I hadn't build a single ship, harbor, founded any coastal cities or even researched any of the related techs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Staltran posted:

Anyway there's a bunch of times the xml files mention the production queue and I think I remember seeing some //TODO for the queue, it looks like they at least intended to have it at launch but didn't have enough time. So the UI is probably lovely because it just wasn't ready when the game was released.

The tutorial refers to adding something to the production queue, so it was probably a late cut.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

Skythia:
Insane unit sell abuse with some policies. Simply insane. A fairly early city can, as Skythia, pump out a Horseman per turn (actually, 2 horsemen in 2 turns but I digress), one of them is then sold for some 150 bucks. Effectively, this city does +75 gold production per turn while producing horsemen.

This is a pretty huge exploit and will likely be patched out.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I've had him compliment me on my strong navy when I hadn't build a single ship, harbor, founded any coastal cities or even researched any of the related techs.

Did you have land units embarked on the water?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Barbarians are ridiculous. I like that theh are a thing but they should slow down the respawn on those stupid camps. There is oooonnneeee unseen tile over here and ahaa now you have 3 units pillaging tiles. The cost to repair those tiles is so expensive for how fsst the barbarians come back.

They're fine, build units if you don't want to get stomped by them.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 28, 2016

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Nope! Hadn't even researched celestial navigation and I never embarked any builders because no sea resources. I think the AI agendas are just very wonky right now. In that same game, Teddy was my BFF despite me steamrolling both my closest neighbors on our continent (yes it was the correct continent for the purpose of his agenda. He even hijacked my screen to cry about it). Like 2 turns after I mopped up a second Civ, he offered an alliance to me. Edit: Maybe not that wonky, apparently I got a big relations boost because he is scared of me. Nice that it can happen.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 28, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cities are certainly vulnerable to pillaging, especially districts, but, I mean, just garrison your districts, one builder can repair infinite improvements, it's only really distrcts that are really hard to repair.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh, man. If it works that way then that is hilarious.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Nope! Hadn't even researched celestial navigation and I never embarked any builders because no sea resources. I think the AI agendas are just very wonky right now. In that same game, Teddy was my BFF despite me steamrolling both my closest neighbors on our continent (yes it was the correct continent for the purpose of his agenda. He even hijacked my screen to cry about it). Like 2 turns after I mopped up a second Civ, he offered an alliance to me. Edit: Maybe not that wonky, apparently I got a big relations boost because he is scared of me. Nice that it can happen.

It should also be noted that relationship modifiers are actually per turn. So like, if something pops like -8 for violating agenda, that's like -8, uh, diplomacy points per turn.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm playing Emperor on a 12 player map as Egypt and I believe this is the most fun I've had with a civ at release since Civ2 / SMAC. Can't wait to see how the game develops with fixes, patches and expansions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really don't like the mini map in this. It looks like the "Here's how you did" map from the end of Civ5 and it's really hard for me to read.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

I really don't like the mini map in this. It looks like the "Here's how you did" map from the end of Civ5 and it's really hard for me to read.

I doubled my minimap size via some file editing and it made it somewhat more readable.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there a bug with War Weariness? I'm not in a war right now but all of my cities seem to be stuck at whatever they were at when the war ended. It's kind of crippling to have -6 war weariness across every city for no apparent reason.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there a bug with War Weariness? I'm not in a war right now but all of my cities seem to be stuck at whatever they were at when the war ended. It's kind of crippling to have -6 war weariness across every city for no apparent reason.

I noticed it takes time to go away but I couldn't say how long.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So is there just not supposed to be any war whatsoever for the last 2/3s of the game? I take an early second city from Ghandi in my marathon game in the ancient era. They recover, and completely wipe out England, taking 3 of their cities. I reach the Renaissance and casus belli him since he's denounced me every 30 turns since the beginning of time, and settles in between my cities the turn after I tell him not to, and yet I'm the warmonger who get denounced by every single civ on the map? Oh, and apparently his city that I took 2,000 years ago spawns a bunch of musketmen and a loving cannon barbarians due to war weariness like 4 turns into the war.

The punishments for going to war are absolutely absurd post Renaissance. And by Renaissance of course I mean 100AD, because that's when I reached it, apparently screwing myself out of going to war every again.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Try saving and reloading, I've heard about a couple of things like that that don't update properly.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I noticed it takes time to go away but I couldn't say how long.

It's been almost 30 turns, does it really take this long?

^^ I've reloaded this save from when I finished yesterday and it seemed to keep the war weariness from it.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Still getting used to the game, how do I use for Japan for the best effect? I'm not quite sure how the adjacency bonus works for them

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Tanners posted:

I converted some barbarian horsemen with boudicca, but I cant get them to heal? Is this a bug or is that intended? That's really awful if so.

Units which you lack the resources to make can't heal. In this case, I guess you have no horses?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

So is there just not supposed to be any war whatsoever for the last 2/3s of the game? I take an early second city from Ghandi in my marathon game in the ancient era. They recover, and completely wipe out England, taking 3 of their cities. I reach the Renaissance and casus belli him since he's denounced me every 30 turns since the beginning of time, and settles in between my cities the turn after I tell him not to, and yet I'm the warmonger who get denounced by every single civ on the map? Oh, and apparently his city that I took 2,000 years ago spawns a bunch of musketmen and a loving cannon barbarians due to war weariness like 4 turns into the war.

The punishments for going to war are absolutely absurd post Renaissance. And by Renaissance of course I mean 100AD, because that's when I reached it, apparently screwing myself out of going to war every again.

Who cares if the AI denounces you? It's not like they'll do anything but hate you even without a warmonger penalty, and even the weird ones who like you won't give you anything useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
On lowest settings the areas outside your field of view look so ugly. Everything's brown and it's not easy to identify the terrain without hovering the cursor over it to read the details.