Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

rio posted:

It was a new nib so that wasn't the case. I did flush it with soapy water though, thinking it might have had some oil or something on it. After writing with it a bit more last night it the issue partially resolved and I got through two pages of writing without any stopping. It is not super juicy though.

Interesting - I didn't know that. Would a Safari that came with a EF nib and one that came with a medium be set up the same or would they be set up differently to accommodate different flows for different nib sizes? I was wondering if putting a broad nib on a pen that came with an EF nib could have been the reason it was acting up.

They're all the same feed, regardless of size. My Lamy Al-Star is wet enough to make a 1.5mm stub work fine, but others may be drier. Lamy's feeds are pretty well engineered so I'd be surprised if a B wasn't working (though anything bigger is a small gamble). It really does sound like an air exchange/vacuum lock problem though so if it starts up again, look to modifying the feed some.

This guy didn't *wink wink* work for Lamy as an engineer - it's a pretty good blog for some of the story behind design/engineering decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Zenostein posted:

I'm kinda curious as to how well it'll play with regular fountain pen ink, rather than the ??? ink in it now*

* I've seen it listed as being some sort of carbon ink, but I really have no goddamn clue. Hell, that could've been for a different pocket brush pen, even. Apparently fountain pen ink'll work fine, but I'm slightly concerned it'd be a bit thin.

I've run both Noodler's black and currently some Iroshizuku Asa-gao through my pentel brush pen (refilling cartidges). The noodler's worked great right off the bat, the asa-gao took a while to get properly dark, possibly because there was still some water in the feed/brush after I cleaned it up. But it looks nice now.
Going to try and put murasaki-shibiku in my other one whenever I finally run the cartidge out.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Everything Burrito posted:

Oh wow that whole Four Seasons line is really pretty.
http://www.sailor.co.jp/lineup/fountainpen-others/13-1005

Yeah I am a big fan of Sailor inks. Generally great performance and good shading. Sure, Iroshizuku ink has prettier bottles but Sailor ink is great.

Just be aware some of them don't look like the picture there. I would definitely get samples first before committing to a whole bottle. I got Miruai but it's nearly black and bleeds more than I expected. Sei-boku, Kiwa-guro, Oku-yama, Tokiwa-matsu, and Yama-dori have all been good to me so far.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

GoldenNugget posted:

Yeah I am a big fan of Sailor inks. Generally great performance and good shading. Sure, Iroshizuku ink has prettier bottles but Sailor ink is great.

Just be aware some of them don't look like the picture there. I would definitely get samples first before committing to a whole bottle. I got Miruai but it's nearly black and bleeds more than I expected. Sei-boku, Kiwa-guro, Oku-yama, Tokiwa-matsu, and Yama-dori have all been good to me so far.

Cool, good to know. I don't have many Sailor inks, just those four discontinued shades that were apparently super popular (Sky High and etc., and I understand the panic to get hold of them when they were still available since Sky High is a fantastic color), but I was thinking about getting a few of these. Samples would be a good idea.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

rio posted:

Interesting - I didn't know that. Would a Safari that came with a EF nib and one that came with a medium be set up the same or would they be set up differently to accommodate different flows for different nib sizes?

The former. You don't really need to carve larger channels into a feed unless you're talking about double broad or ridiculously wide stub nibs

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Does anyone use a Filofax? I'm wondering how fountain pen friendly the paper fills are.

e: FP secret santa is gonna launch in November so folks have time to get their poo poo together, since I figure a bunch of us use online retailers.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 28, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What are the rules for FP SS?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm in when a start, for sure.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Heath posted:

Under $20, nothing that's been in a personal orifice, no blood or bodily fluids. You know, normal stuff.

Also I guess it should be at least tangentially related to fountain pens.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Heath posted:

I refuse to post a Secret Santa before Halloween, but it'll be the usual SA template. Apply to me, get assigned a random Santee (I'll do my best to accommodate reasonable shipping requests, ie, North America only, Euro only, etc), and send $20+ USD value gift(s) with the goal to get them on your Santee's doorstep by Christmas. Gifts don't have to be brand new items. Let's shuffle around some of those unused pens and ink samples.

I'm going with $20+ rather than <$20 because otherwise you'll spend more shipping the drat thing than planning it. Now's a good time to offer suggestions if you have any.

Mods said to start a new thread for it, but I'll post here when it's up.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

$20+ seems good. Couldn't even give someone a bottle of iroshizuku if it was under 20 and that also opens the door to be able to send a lot of nice lower prices pens. It will be as much fun choosing what to gift as getting something!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Should we have people give us their ink loadouts so we don't end up getting them something they already have?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

Should we have people give us their ink loadouts so we don't end up getting them something they already have?

Up to you! You'll be able to write a letter to Santa in the FPSASS thread, once that's up and running. I figure it'll go the way it usually does in the Nail Polish SS; let folks know what brands or colours you're experimenting with, and where to not bother at all. There's always a chance you'll get something you already have, but hey, re-gift that poo poo!

Anyone who is really specific about what's acceptable should probably just skip the exchange and shop for themselves.

v Hah. I forgot about that. Posting a google sheet with your collection is legit if you're really hoping for unique inks.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 29, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Heath posted:

In the nail thread we all have stash lists in Google Doc's spreadsheet app that we share. It works very well!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Heath posted:

That's an excellent idea. Listing pens would probably be good to if people don't want duplicates. I don't mind having two of a pen but I already have two or three duplicates of the cheaper pens and I'm sure I'm not the only one so that would help people not get their 5th metro or something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't want anything specific, I just wouldn't want a second bottle of some ink I already have 50 mLs to work through, and I'm sure others feel the same.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

I don't want anything specific, I just wouldn't want a second bottle of some ink I already have 50 mLs to work through, and I'm sure others feel the same.

Welp, google-sheet it up, then! I probably will too. There are fewer varieties of ink than there are of nail polish, and they're often more expensive, so it's reasonable. I just wouldn't make it a requirement for participation.

I'm not a spreadsheet wizard, so if anyone can hack together a template for ink inventories, that'd be cool.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Oh no, definitely shouldn't be required. I would just hate to gift someone something they have already and disappoint them

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pixelante posted:

Does anyone use a Filofax? I'm wondering how fountain pen friendly the paper fills are.

e: FP secret santa is gonna launch in November so folks have time to get their poo poo together, since I figure a bunch of us use online retailers.

It's not rhodia quality, but it's not bad either. Pretty sure goulet have some nice videos with all the details and opinions you could ever want on it on their channel.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Could always ship a gift directly from an online retailer in the recipient's country if international postage would be too expensive. It wouldn't be as fun as packaging and sending something yourself but still an option for geographically isolated goons like myself.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Mr. Despair posted:

It's not rhodia quality, but it's not bad either. Pretty sure goulet have some nice videos with all the details and opinions you could ever want on it on their channel.

It's fine, better than cheap paper, not quite as nice as clairefontaine or rhodia. Feathers a little with my wet pens but I can write on both sides without much show through.

Also check out Arc by Staples, their filofax type system is cheaper and more customizable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The arc paper works fine with my fine to medium fountain pens, too. Haven't tried anything thicker on it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Heath posted:

Oh no, definitely shouldn't be required. I would just hate to gift someone something they have already and disappoint them

As a rule for Santas if that's an issue for someone, and they don't mention it, then that's on them in the end. You've followed reasonable steps up to that point.

Premature ejacula- posted:

Could always ship a gift directly from an online retailer in the recipient's country if international postage would be too expensive. It wouldn't be as fun as packaging and sending something yourself but still an option for geographically isolated goons like myself.

Yeah this is a great tip for secret santa-ing as a poor.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Pilot Parallels from Massdrop arrived. I've never really played around with this type of calligraphy. It's pretty fun!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The arc paper works fine with my fine to medium fountain pens, too. Haven't tried anything thicker on it.

You can also punch whatever paper you want, although I haven't tried it on anything as thin as Tomoe River.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I brought my supply of Tomoe River to a bookbinder to have notebooks custom made to fit my needs.

from personal experience: you can punch holes in TR but it'd better be a thick loving stack or you'll make a mess of it

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Kessel posted:

I brought my supply of Tomoe River to a bookbinder to have notebooks custom made to fit my needs.

A print-shop made coil sketchbooks for me out of an unwieldy pad of Copic paper, so that might be the smart way to go again to get what I want. I'd really like a coil bound book of blank FP-quality paper for notes and doodles, but I think I'm gonna have to go online to find one--or just make one.

neongrey posted:

As a rule for Santas if that's an issue for someone, and they don't mention it, then that's on them in the end. You've followed reasonable steps up to that point.

Yup, and shipping direct from the retailer (or even giving a gift-card) is totally legit. I've done a few exchanges where I didn't realise it would be $30 to ship $20 of junk, and that would be a breaking point for a lot of wallets. Another factor that might come up is the cold. I live in the warmest part of Canada, but lots of goons live in places where shipping liquid and glass might be a challenge. You'll be able to note those concerns in sign-ups.

Odds are, someone's gonna be unhappy or feel ripped off, but SSs are always a dice throw. I'll do my best to keep the set-up fair.

If anyone wants to pre-plan, start inventorying your inks!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there anywhere I can get French ruled Rhodia paper in the US?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I got a cool vintage flex pen! It's really pretty and the lever fill is cool, but it feels super scratchy. Is this normal? I'm scared of breaking it lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got a Lamy Vista today (a demonstrator Safari) intending to put the broad nib that wasn't doing well on my Black Safari on that and put the medium that came on the Vista on the other pen. The broad nib fits fine on the Safari but the nib that came on the Vista doesn't fit on the Safari...it falls right off because it is so loose. What's the deal? The nib from my 3rd Safari fits on the black pen and the one that came on the Vista was snug on that pen so I am confused as to why I can't put its nib on another Safari. I was trying to think of a hack to get it to work and I can't think of anything. The broad does write well on the Vista though and it is black and looks badass on the clear Vista with a Lamy converter inside - really attractive and it will be seeing a lot of use.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One of your pens is very likely a fake. I got a fake Safari from Amazon a few weeks ago. Did one of your pens come with a converter already in it instead of a blue cartridge? Look really closely at the nibs. The Lamy logo should be stamped, but fake ones have it engraved.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Interesting - I don't think it is engraved. It is so small but it doesn't appear to be. It does look different from the other medium nib I have - the other two Lamy nibs are black so they are not a good comparison. Here are the two medium nibs, the left is the new one and the right is the old one. They are definitely different...the one on the right is 3 years old though so I'm not sure if it is just age or that they are making them differently now or that it came on a Vista and not a Safari.

The Vista came with a blue cartridge and appeared to be just like any other Safari I have gotten with the right box and documentation and the cardboard ring on the pen. If it comes with a converter is that a sign that it is counterfeit?

E: forgot the photo.

rio fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 2, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The fake one I got came with a converter, had the engraved Lamy nib that was too big for legit pens (and wouldn't accept nibs from my ohers), and just kind of felt cheaper. It was otherwise extremely convincing, but the nib size and converter are what gave it away.

Edit: those look fine to me, so maybe I'm wrong.

Heath fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 2, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got a Plumix, it is the ugliest pen I have ever seen. The nib is great in my Metro, though. They really should make it a normal Metro offering. Playing with the plumix nib and my parallels got me interested in grinding some round nibs into italic nibs. I am planning to try with a medium Preppy to start. Is there anything strange about a Preppy nib that might make it a bad idea to use for this?

I bought a Safari, too. I like the look and build of this pen a lot more than I thought I would from photos. It isn't as massive as I expected.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Safari is drat near perfect. The Al-Star is very similar but slightly chunkier. Really solid pen.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just got either a loving awful or counterfeit Lamy 2000. I wanted to get a broad so I ordered one off of Amazon so that I could get it free same day delivery. It came tonight and it has some very small but noticeable differences between it and my other Lamy 2000. It doesn't even write unless you bear down on it like a ballpoint. I am loving pissed because I hate dealing with return processes and this is not a 30 dollar pen, it is a 130 dollar pen. If anyone wants to see the differences I can take some pictures but otherwise I won't bother.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
You can always try improving it by pressing down on it with fairly significant force, slightly spreading the tines of the nib, then letting it spring back, and repeating that until you get a little more ink flow. Works for me.

If it's obviously a counterfeit though I'd demand a refund and/or dispute the charge.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I called Amazon and they are letting me return the item for not being the correct item. Still pisses me off though - I am still not 100% positive if it is a knockoff or just poorly made. The differences are that the circle on the bottom is rough and messy with some metal spilling over, the logo does not look like it is engraved on the clip in the same way and the A has more negative space in it, the inside of the cap looks like it is metal at the top vs. plastic, the shape of the feed is slightly different, the clip offers more resistance when bending out and you can feel friction and the top of the cap shows kind of a band vs going all the way up to the top of the cap. The center of the nib is also not aligned and the nib is very loose. It is also not an issue of enough ink getting to the nib but rather that it just does not flow unless you apply way more pressure than you would normally use with a fountain pen, and even then the line is messy and looks like poo poo.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've never heard of a fake Lamy 2000, so it may just be differences between manufacturing batches. That said if it doesn't write it doesn't write and whether or not it's fake doesn't really matter.

Heath posted:

The Safari is drat near perfect. The Al-Star is very similar but slightly chunkier. Really solid pen.

Unless you don't use a three finger grip, at which point the Safari/Vita/Al Star just won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's not Lamy's fault you're a mutant :colbert: