Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

poo poo i forgot about angry lady.

I'm on a jerky kick, maybe I'll make some angry lady jerky

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Angry Lady Sauce and Cock Sauce are both very delicious.

Even if Cock Sauce is super americanized. It's still way better than ketchup on almost anything you would put ketchup on.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hmm, I could see that. Is there such thing as being sensitive to sodium? Incidentally, I often think food will taste overly salty when others eating the same thing are fine with it.

Eating less salt, and going to ask a doctor are both very good ideas, the former you should probably do regardless. You may also want to start keeping a food diary, where you write down exactly what you eat each day and exactly what symptoms you have. Our brains can be unreliable when trying to figure this stuff out, if I think "I bet it's restaurant food making me feel ill", then I might start subconsciously forgetting or ignoring times I felt ill when I didn't go to a restaurant, or times I went to restaurant and didn't feel ill. A food diary really helps in providing a concrete record that you can read over to see what patterns are actually there.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm actually not opposed to buying one that isn't electric, I just can't seem to find one of those either. I'm going to check one of the local grocery stores for one because they had them last year and I'll kick myself if they're gone. My husband loves hot pot so I thought it'd be a nice Christmas gift since the only place in town thag does it has been uh...closed by the food inspector a little too many times for our comfort.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
FWIW, the Asian grocery stores here have always had stacks of butane canister burners. They have the benefit of precise control and you can use them right at the table without worrying about pulling a power cord, and they're also pretty cheap. Downside is that they'll obviously need to be fed fuel canisters, but it seems like there's an industry standard so that shouldn't be too hard to find. Oh, and you can make some coffee and eggs if a storm knocks out the power!

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corporation-America-ZA-3HP-Portable/dp/B006H42TVG

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have a great Christmas pudding recipe I want to use again. But this year I want to substitute the suet (which is hard to get here, a bit messy to use and freaks some people out for reasons). The recipe specifically mentions "vegetable suet" as substitute, but I can't get that here either.
Questions:
a) What exactly is vegetable suet, does it have other names (common/scientific) that I can google for to get a German equivalent?
b) What else could I use? Butter? Margarine? And what would be the difference in the pudding? Taste/texture etc?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hopper posted:

I have a great Christmas pudding recipe I want to use again. But this year I want to substitute the suet (which is hard to get here, a bit messy to use and freaks some people out for reasons). The recipe specifically mentions "vegetable suet" as substitute, but I can't get that here either.
Questions:
a) What exactly is vegetable suet, does it have other names (common/scientific) that I can google for to get a German equivalent?
b) What else could I use? Butter? Margarine? And what would be the difference in the pudding? Taste/texture etc?

You could try vegetable shortening. Just freeze it before you use it.

We found vegetable shortening in Karstadt.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hopper posted:

Questions:

I would imagine vegetable suet would just be shortening like Crisco.

E: dang it

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Vegetable suet is usually made of Palm Oil mixed with Rice Flour, you can order it from Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Wholefoods-Vegetarian-Suet-Pack/dp/B00L382OOS/ref=sr_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477399998&sr=8-11&keywords=suet

They should deliver to Germany, they certainly deliver to the Netherlands.

If you use something like butter, the lower melting point will mess up the pudding and make it heavy and greasy. Even Vegetarian suet won't give you a perfect result, since Suet is kind of a unique fat, but it's still your best bet.

E: lol

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

al-azad posted:

If salt in general really messes you up it could be a sign of pre-hypertension. If you feel consistently strange after these specific meals you should see a physician.

I have this and feel like complete poo poo for a few hours if I eat an italian sub from a sub shop. So loving salty. Also can't eat polish sausages and stuff like I used to. Bacon does not affect me, however.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Vegetable suet is usually made of Palm Oil mixed with Rice Flour, you can order it from Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Wholefoods-Vegetarian-Suet-Pack/dp/B00L382OOS/ref=sr_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477399998&sr=8-11&keywords=suet

They should deliver to Germany, they certainly deliver to the Netherlands.

If you use something like butter, the lower melting point will mess up the pudding and make it heavy and greasy. Even Vegetarian suet won't give you a perfect result, since Suet is kind of a unique fat, but it's still your best bet.

E: lol

I see, well since I want to try sous viddling a pudding at around 95C maybe I'll actually try both real suet and veggy. I know where to get raw suet cut from the kidneys at one but her I know of, but I have to melt it, strain it and solidify it again myself, that's why I'd rather skip it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I see, well since I want to try sous viddling a pudding at around 95C maybe I'll actually try both real suet and veggy. I know where to get raw suet cut from the kidneys at one but her I know of, but I have to melt it, strain it and solidify it again myself, that's why I'd rather skip it.

Yeah, it's smelly and awful :(

You can use it raw if you like, you just need to be careful to remove as much of the blood vessels and connective tissue as you can and then shred it or finely chop it. I actually pushed a bunch of the raw fat through a cheese grater and used it to make mince meat for mince pies, they tasted great, though I didn't tell my girlfriends family how I actually made them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My kitchen machine has a meat grinder, I cut out the disgusting bits and ground the rest last year. But melting, straining and cooling is probably less messy.

Oh well, the pudding was fantastic after 1 month of resting so it is worth it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hopper posted:

My kitchen machine has a meat grinder, I cut out the disgusting bits and ground the rest last year. But melting, straining and cooling is probably less messy.

Oh well, the pudding was fantastic after 1 month of resting so it is worth it.

Please explain to the american audience what pudding and why it took a month to be edible. Is it like a fruitcake thing where you pour rum on it every day? And did it require suet?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Christmas pudding is what they used to make tribbles.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Traditional English Christmas pudding is prepared long in advance, the traditional day to do it is the last Sunday before Advent. There even is a nickname for the day: Stir-up Sunday. The pudding (cake) is prepared, steamed for hours and then you store it until Christmas. You retrieve it from the pantry, steam it again and serve it.

EDIT: added info and fixed day

Hopper fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 26, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hopper posted:

Traditional English Christmas pudding is prepared long in advance, the traditional day to do it is the last Sunday before Advent. There even is a nickname for the day: Stir-up Sunday. The pudding (cake) is prepared, steamed for hours and then you store it until Christmas. You retrieve it from the pantry, steam it again and serve it.

EDIT: added info and fixed day

That's super weird. Another grand English tradition I never knew about.

Edit: Ooh, and in another quirk of English Cuisine, it's much improved by dousing it in brandy and lighting it on fire!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 26, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Reading about traditional Xmas Pud is like a horror story. It dangles in your pantry for a month, you moisten it liquor, talks about a skin and plums-that-are-actually-raisins and chunks of fat. And festive blessings to ye if you bite in and pull out a loving wishbone.

I... think I'm going to make this.

e: Don't forget to top your pud with toxic holly berries!

Hmm hmm, there's nothing more traditional than the holiday squirts after I eat my prune and rum spiced pudding!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 26, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's super weird. Another grand English tradition I never knew about.

Edit: Ooh, and in another quirk of English Cuisine, it's much improved by dousing it in brandy and lighting it on fire!

English food gets a lot of poo poo, and some of it is deserved based on really terrible mid century food. But traditional English cookery, including the Christmas pudding, is a really great tradition of delicious, wholesome food.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

English food gets a lot of poo poo, and some of it is deserved based on really terrible mid century food. But traditional English cookery, including the Christmas pudding, is a really great tradition of delicious, wholesome food.

As an outsider it looks and sounds horrifying but I like heavily spiced fruity things so I'll give it a shot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It sounds like botulism / salmonella / xyz waiting to happen but I bet it's delicious.

What keeps the spoilage risk down? Is it just so soaked in alcohol it's not a problem or is it something else?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

That Works posted:

It sounds like botulism / salmonella / xyz waiting to happen but I bet it's delicious.

What keeps the spoilage risk down? Is it just so soaked in alcohol it's not a problem or is it something else?

It's safe for the same reason eggnog is: alcohol proves to be a remarkably effective antiseptic in sufficient concentration.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

al-azad posted:

Reading about traditional Xmas Pud is like a horror story. It dangles in your pantry for a month, you moisten it liquor, talks about a skin and plums-that-are-actually-raisins and chunks of fat. And festive blessings to ye if you bite in and pull out a loving wishbone.

I... think I'm going to make this.

e: Don't forget to top your pud with toxic holly berries!

Hmm hmm, there's nothing more traditional than the holiday squirts after I eat my prune and rum spiced pudding!

Remember to put a coin into the mixture when you're making it. Then remember not to swallow the coin months later when you eat it!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Here s a really old Christmas pudding recipe I used last year and it is amazing.
Eliza Acton's Christmas Pudding (1845)

Also: Don't put inedible stuff in food for good luck, it will only bring suffering.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Paperhouse posted:

Remember to put a coin into the mixture when you're making it. Then remember not to swallow the coin months later when you eat it!

Hopper posted:

Here s a really old Christmas pudding recipe I used last year and it is amazing.
Eliza Acton's Christmas Pudding (1845)

Also: Don't put inedible stuff in food for good luck, it will only bring suffering.

My family used to do it with rice-pudding and a nut. Then they realized us kids didn't like rice-pudding so they made it a cake instead. Then it turned into a chocolate sheet-cake that probably only tastes good to us out of nostalgia. Then most of the family died or moved away so we don't do it anymore :(

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You could restart the tradition with a proper Christmas pudding this year. Make one and invite family and/or friends over. Or make a lot of tiny ones, pack the sauce ingredients in a little pouch, add instructions and send it as presents. I am currently figuring the latter out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Quick question. I know we have the chili thread but I'll get a quicker response here I think.

I want to make chili and use cubed meats. I have never stewed anything in my life. Can I just simmer for 3-5 hours on the stove top or do I need to do some low and slow in the oven to get the meat right? Lid on or off?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

revmoo posted:

Quick question. I know we have the chili thread but I'll get a quicker response here I think.

I want to make chili and use cubed meats. I have never stewed anything in my life. Can I just simmer for 3-5 hours on the stove top or do I need to do some low and slow in the oven to get the meat right? Lid on or off?

if it's fatty meat, then that's alright... definitely lid on and give it a stir once in a while to make sure there's enough liquid (add water if not), you don't want it to burn. Both oven and stove top will do...just make sure you simmer the stuff.

(if the meat is lean, then don't cook it that long...don't even use it for chili probably if that's the case)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

Make sure you brown the meat (in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan and steaming it) before it goes in the liquid. Lots of extra flavor this way.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
For my birthday this summer I got an induction burner hotplate doodad (it wasn't this one but that's the sort of thing. Is it harmful to the pan if I use a pan on it that's bigger than the 'burner' area? I'm just worried I could potentially warp my frying pan with the heat differential or something.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Do cleaning questions count here if they involve cookware?

We have a couple aluminum sheet pans that have permanent burn marks on them. It'd be easier just to buy new ones but we don't ever throw anything away because we have a problem. I read baking soda and vinegar help. Can anybody back that up?

For that matter, years of not cleaning the kitchen properly have left our wood cabinets with a tacky feel to it. What can I do about that?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I didn't see a post for this year yet, so can anyone point me in the direction of the One True SA Nog recipe? Also, has anyone ever tried making eggnog with goat's milk instead of cow? I'm not sure why I or anyone else would want to do this, but I'm curious anyway.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

MrSlam posted:

We have a couple aluminum sheet pans that have permanent burn marks on them. It'd be easier just to buy new ones but we don't ever throw anything away because we have a problem. I read baking soda and vinegar help. Can anybody back that up?

For that matter, years of not cleaning the kitchen properly have left our wood cabinets with a tacky feel to it. What can I do about that?

The tacky feeling on your cabinets is probably a build up of grease from cooking. Give them a good wipe down with a damp cloth and washing up liquid. I think Dawn is the go to in the US, but any dishwashing liquid will have de-greasing properties. Apply a bit of elbow grease too!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MrSlam posted:

On the sheet pans: Steel wool works for mine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like a green scrubby pad and bar keepers friend or bon ami for stubborn sheet pans.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What all can I do with buckwheat flour? My friend is moving and gave me 3 22-oz bags of bob's buckwheat flour. He initially got it to make soba but it didn't work right so now I have it.

I know pancakes are a pretty common thing, but what else? Any dumplings?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I grew a ton of basil over the summer and decided to make pesto with it. Basil, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt, the basics. It turned out great but was far too much. I kept it in the fridge in a huge bowl for a day or two, then dug out some jars and filled them up, pouring on a layer of oil because the top had started greying a bit presumably from oxidization. They've been sitting in the fridge for a few weeks now, during which time I remembered about the whole garlic-in-anaerobic-environment botulism danger. It occurred to me that I may have made a mistake.

What would be your next step?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

MrSlam posted:

Gumption, stainless wool, and elbow grease will shift just about anything attached to stainless steel

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can someone tell me what this is? I google'd it and all I got was something called Panassed. I'm not sure if that's a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone tell me what this is? I google'd it and all I got was something called Panassed. I'm not sure if that's a word.

I can't say for sure but I think those are "sticks".