Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

euphronius posted:

Parsons played 0 minutes yesterday

Grind the Process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Trust the Grindcess

or something like that

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Grind the Process

Grit & Grind refers to what they did to the cartilege in his knees

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Spacebump posted:

Last night, it looked like Bogut messed up his right wrist. He only played a couple minutes after that

Bogut sure loves his loving illegal screens. He was a beast on every screen he set and the refs were letting it fly so more power to him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Athanatos posted:

Bogut sure loves his loving illegal screens. He was a beast on every screen he set and the refs were letting it fly so more power to him.

Isn't this true of almost all of the good defensive big men?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spoeank posted:

I woke up this morning and the Sacramento Kings of Sacramento are still in first in the Pacific and the Shook rear end Warriors of Oakland are still in last. I am going to enjoy this as long as it lasts*

*when the final buzzer sounds in Kings-Spurs tonight

I dunno dropping a gimme game against the Kings after blowing out the runaway championship favorites would be pretty Spurs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i know it's probably been said before, but holy poo poo the new NBA website is seriously impressively bad.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Isn't this true of almost all of the good defensive big men?

That's a weak objection, it's like saying, Lebron gets away with changing his pivot foot and offensive fouling, and your response is, don't most superstars? Bogut is the king of the illegal screen

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings looked like an actual basketball team against a bad basketball team last night. If we can beat all the non-playoff teams this year I'll be pleased

Also WCS did this
https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/791634739140648960

Man if they can find lineups to play him alongside Cousins they might actually have a shot at the 8th seed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a weak objection, it's like saying, Lebron gets away with changing his pivot foot and offensive fouling, and your response is, don't most superstars? Bogut is the king of the illegal screen

Name a great defensive big man from this century that doesn't/didn't get away with illegal screens frequently.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

Willie Cauley-Stein is the most underrated young big in the NBA. Very Tyson Chandler-y, which was his draft comp.

I want to say he's like Tyson Chandler but slighter, and with more range to cover perimeter players. If he had a little jumper that would really set things off. Cousins is a good enough passer that they could develop a post passing thing with him cutting to the basket.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Everyone keeps posting JV dunking on Boban which IMO is a pretty weak poster (except for the fact that it's Boban). I liked this move better.

https://twitter.com/outsidethenba/status/791425949233446912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dirty as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Except he's on my team so :getin:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/791474549862825984?s=09

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

You'll get back the first shipment in December and no one will remember why we were so excited about Myles Turner.

Some of us have been excited about Myles Turner for like two years!!

Utah was so close to having him instead of Lyles. drat you Larry Bird :(

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Spacebump: I wasn't attacking your assetion, it's just accepted that Bogut is an illegal screener extradonaire, Kevin Garnett Level. This is a good question for the thread: Who do you think is the best defensive big of the last 10 years who didn't set blatantly illegal screens
[

MourningView posted:

He's like the traditional big man Giannis at this point, he can dribble pass and shoot, and do all the defense he needs to do. He's like blake griffin as a center without the great scoring. He's like a tall Draymond. I really like him and I hope his game keeps growing.
What do yout hink of Lyles through the preseason? Could he still become a bench scorer, he had his moments later last year. APologizes for all the questions, I'm 10x more busier this year than I was last year so I just can't watch as many games

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 27, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

I want to say he's like Tyson Chandler but slighter, and with more range to cover perimeter players. If he had a little jumper that would really set things off. Cousins is a good enough passer that they could develop a post passing thing with him cutting to the basket.

WCS tried a couple of jumpers from 15' out and they were ugly. But Joerger is starting Kosta Koufos next to Cousins so it's not like the spacing can get any worse by starting WCS instead.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

WCS tried a couple of jumpers from 15' out and they were ugly. But Joerger is starting Kosta Koufos next to Cousins so it's not like the spacing can get any worse by starting WCS instead.

Don't shoot me for making this comp, but his defense could be non insane kevin Garnett esque. He has the body type and the agility. It's just that offensive game.

We've talked about how the Kings need a nominal center/pf who can protect the rim and switch to protect cousins. Ideally he could shoot, but the skal project is still baking in the basketball 5.5 kiln

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Spacebump: I wasn't attacking your assetion, it's just accepted that Bogut is an illegal screener extradonaire, Kevin Garnett Level. This is a good question for the thread: Who do you think is the best defensive big of the last 10 years who didn't set blatantly illegal screens

No worries, I'm still in salty mode after realizing the Mavs' only two (real) centers with NBA experience might be injured.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do yout hink of Lyles through the preseason? Could he still become a bench scorer, he had his moments later last year. APologizes for all the questions, I'm 10x more busier this year than I was last year so I just can't watch as many games

He definitely could be if his outside shot comes along. He's really skilled for a big guy but not quite as skilled as he thinks he is which I thinks gets him in trouble at times. He's also not a very good athlete and probably won't ever be a very good defender which limits his upside a bit

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is a tough one. There are guys that stand out for like only doing it (Perk) but I feel like most good bigs do it to some extent

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

[

Trick question all the greats set illegal screens

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

No worries, I'm still in salty mode after realizing the Mavs' only two (real) centers with NBA experience might be injured.

The upside is that you probably weren't getting the 8th seed and its a great draft. Plus you get to see what Salah Mejri can really do, we know what Powell can do, be a pf who plays like a center. There are two bigs in the later lottery that I can see Carlisle molding into something

May Carlisle will get some Quincy Acy small ball going

MourningView posted:

He definitely could be if his outside shot comes along. He's really skilled for a big guy but not quite as skilled as he thinks he is which I thinks gets him in trouble at times. He's also not a very good athlete and probably won't ever be a very good defender which limits his upside a bit
His game is likable, because he has ca n make a few dribbles and find a nice short jumper, tgat's not the coolest thing to be able to do. He seems to make wide open threees. His lack off athleticism really seems to hurt at the rim, he needs the ball just close enough to stride and jump off both legs to get above defenders rather than going for a contested lay up. Synder seems good at putting him in places where he's comfortable. Always sucks when a big has not much defensive potential

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm not starting anything but he tv presentation of football is getting really bad

NBA still is doing well. They could probably cut one or two tv time outs but it's ok.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ANY player who sets lots of screens will end up setting lots of illegal screens because they don't get called often, so why not? Defensive bigs don't do much on offense other than set screens, ergo....

ANSWER: I don't recall Yao setting a lot of illegal screens.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

The upside is that you probably weren't getting the 8th seed and its a great draft. Plus you get to see what Salah Mejri can really do, we know what Powell can do, be a pf who plays like a center. There are two bigs in the later lottery that I can see Carlisle molding into something

May Carlisle will get some Quincy Acy small ball going

His game is likable, because he has ca n make a few dribbles and find a nice short jumper, tgat's not the coolest thing to be able to do. He seems to make wide open threees. His lack off athleticism really seems to hurt at the rim, he needs the ball just close enough to stride and jump off both legs to get above defenders rather than going for a contested lay up. Synder seems good at putting him in places where he's comfortable. Always sucks when a big has not much defensive potential

I'm still convinced this Mavs team has the potential to be a good defensive team that could be anywhere from a 4-8 seed*. The problem (assuming they have healthy centers, which if they don't will be a bigger problem) will be offense. If players regularly have nights like Matthews did last night, they are in for some frustrating games. That is a good point about the quality of the draft. Let's hope Cuban doesn't meddle with the draft. Another situation where Donnie wants to draft a player like Giannis and Cuban trades to a worse spot to save money for a big free agent that doesn't come would be brutal.

*Depending on injuries in the West. If the following teams are healthy most of the season I expect them to be top 4: Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

attackmole posted:

Everyone keeps posting JV dunking on Boban which IMO is a pretty weak poster (except for the fact that it's Boban). I liked this move better.

https://twitter.com/outsidethenba/status/791425949233446912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dirty as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Except he's on my team so :getin:
something something natural pump fake motion

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

I'm not starting anything but he tv presentation of football is getting really bad

NBA still is doing well. They could probably cut one or two tv time outs but it's ok.

When you go to an NFL game and watch players just standing around during a TV timeout it really drives home how disgusting that is. I mean, as if football didn't have enough breaks for commercials.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kiimo posted:

When you go to an NFL game and watch players just standing around during a TV timeout it really drives home how disgusting that is. I mean, as if football didn't have enough breaks for commercials.

Yeah, especially around kickoffs. It feels like there is no action between a score and the next drive starting, but it takes like 12 minutes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

ANY player who sets lots of screens will end up setting lots of illegal screens because they don't get called often, so why not? Defensive bigs don't do much on offense other than set screens, ergo....

ANSWER: I don't recall Yao setting a lot of illegal screens.

I'm surveying all the basketball personalities on twitter to see if anyone even has a memory. Yao is a good thinking. He was so big that his screens didn't have to be illegal

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

I'm still convinced this Mavs team has the potential to be a good defensive team that could be anywhere from a 4-8 seed*. The problem (assuming they have healthy centers, which if they don't will be a bigger problem) will be offense. If players regularly have nights like Matthews did last night, they are in for some frustrating games. That is a good point about the quality of the draft. Let's hope Cuban doesn't meddle with the draft. Another situation where Donnie wants to draft a player like Giannis and Cuban trades to a worse spot to save money for a big free agent that doesn't come would be brutal.

*Depending on injuries in the West. If the following teams are healthy most of the season I expect them to be top 4: Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies

There's no reason to count them out yet. Especially since having an automatic scorer in the regular season is worth about 10 extra wins. I wonder if Wes Mathews and Jennings will ever recover from their achilles tears. They'e the test cases for the latest in cadaver grafting and no slicing spaghettis

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
At least half the time illegal screens are called it's the guard's fault anyway for making the cut before the screener is set.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

Julius Randle put up 18/7/6, that's pretty outstanding especially considering how ordinary of a passer he was at UK and last year

Sauce Castillo is just turning the corner free from the specter of Sacramento

Yeah him becoming invested in passing is something I hope sticks through the year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Today scotty brooks is officially back :hellyeah:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

One other thing I forgot to mention from last night is how cool KJ McDaniels is. I hope he gets regular minutes. Guards that you can lob to are the fuckin best (RIP Steve Francis)

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

theres the illegal screens everyone sets then theres boguts(and draymonds) grab the dude and just walk him all the way off the court and to the bus like in the blindside

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MourningView posted:

Mwahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edit: Psssssssst, MV, it's me. The Butler fan with bad opinions. I finally bought an avatar and I got a new name. :wave:

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 27, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

DeAndre Jordan's screens aren't aggressively illegal and he's very good at them

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Memphis

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

In honor of his 29th birthday: the last time that Derrick Rose was good, Andrew Bynum was the most promising young center in the league.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

straight up brolic posted:

In honor of his 29th birthday: the last time that Derrick Rose was good, Andrew Bynum was the most promising young center in the league.

its amazing how quickly the league has changed. the 2012-13 Knicks were lauded for making the most threes by a team, ever! those days seem so quaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

euphronius posted:

Embiid owned and he literally has no idea what he's doing and has played one NBA game.

He's got insane potential. He was giving Adams all he could handle, and Adams is a brute. That's my day after lukewarm take.

• Locked thread