Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm just going to keep posting in here. Sunday night I saw Tig Notaro and later I saw Todd Barry. Last night I went to a showcase and saw about 15 comics, mostly locals, then I did a mic. This festival kills me every year, I am so tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

After not doing stand up for like 5 years, I think Im gonna go eat poo poo at an open mic next monday. Welp.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Break a leg!

In like three different places. Fall down, screaming and clutching it as no one helps. Attempt to get up, break the second leg. Crawl off the stage in chilly silence punctuated only by your screams.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw more comics last week btw. Nate Bargatze, Emo Phillips, Ron Funches, Gary Gulman, Andy Kindler, etc. - even saw Tom Green which was fine (better than I expected tbh)

Bread Set Jettison posted:

After not doing stand up for like 5 years, I think Im gonna go eat poo poo at an open mic next monday. Welp.

hell yeah come join us in the comedian thread

I got myself a few bookings for November and am gonna eat poo poo at most of them unless I go eat enough poo poo at open mics before then and make this new stuff suck less

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

I saw more comics last week btw. Nate Bargatze, Emo Phillips, Ron Funches, Gary Gulman, Andy Kindler, etc. - even saw Tom Green which was fine (better than I expected tbh)

What did you think of Nate Bargatze? I saw him a few weeks ago and he loving crushed. Even the bits that I already knew had me drat near in tears.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Nate is one of the best alive right now, imo. Gary Gulman, too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Berzerker posted:

I saw Emo in Philly on Sunday, and goddamn is he just as good as he's ever been. I got to meet him after the show, and I just sort of nervously tittered at him. He's one of the first stand-ups I ever heard, and still one of my favorites.

If you folks have a chance to see him, see him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kinane's new album is good stuff. There's an inspired bit about Fred Phelps and his goons on there that I won't spoil, but I thought was great.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Today is Kyle Kinane heaven as we not only get his new album, but another episode of the Boogie Monster as well. If you don't eagerly await this podcast every tuesday you are doing it wrong.

http://boogiemonster.libsyn.com/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I would like to echo the last two posts. Also, I hope they put the video for his new special up for purchase. I'd gladly throw Comedy Central another $5 to be able to watch it as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kinane is one of those dudes I feel I should enjoy more than I do. I love Burr, I love Jefferies, I should love this guy, right? Ehhh.

The new special is alright, I suppose. I smiled a few times. I hope his career continues growing.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Kyle's my favorite stand up and it's not really close

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Even more than Gary Gulman?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

nerve posted:

Kyle's my favorite stand up and it's not really close

Yeah me too. He's one of those guys that can make pretty much anything he talks about be loving hysterical. I hadn't really noticed, but compared to most of my other favorite comics he works pretty clean for the most part. Most of his big bits he could do on the tonight show without much self editing except for the closer off of "I liked his old stuff better", which is one of the greatest bits I've ever heard full stop. I can't get enough of his stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

He's also super loving nice. I got to hang out with him awhile back at a comedy festival and he was just an all around good dude. I think the coolest thing was that, even though he was only booked on the final show of the fest, he came for the entire festival and would just hang out and watch the other shows. Most comics (understandably) stuck to the green rooms and whatnot, but Kyle watched a ton of the shows from the middle of the audience. You could tell he just loves comedy.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kevin Meaney died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FhBuHi0N8o

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Something I just noticed - Since when did Iliza drop the Shlesinger? Did she hire Vince McMahon to manage her career or something?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I remember seeing kevin meaney on dr katz professional therapist which was maybe my earliest exposure to stand up comedy. rip

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Haverchuck posted:

I remember seeing kevin meaney on dr katz professional therapist which was maybe my earliest exposure to stand up comedy. rip

One of the very first episodes of the Just for Laughs compilations I ever saw had him doing his "We Are the World" shtick. That may be my first exposure to standup as well, actually.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm watching the Rogan special from The Filmore that is on Netflix and there is a guy who must be near a mic because he says "nope" to a lot of premises Rogan says and you can definitely hear him. It is my favorite part of the special.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ahahaha

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I enjoyed the new Rogan. I thought he had a bit of a breakthrough in terms of his delivery.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

New Rogan had some funny spots but it wasn't as good as Shiny Happy Jihad. I like Rogan ok but he's not ever going to crack my top 100 favorite comics.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah he had some good bits that made me laugh out loud and I appreciate that he just had a special and didn't have ten minutes of weird skit based introduction first.

His Gollum was pretty good too. poo poo.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Apparently Stanhope's girlfriend Bingo did too much coke at her 40th birthday party, had a seizure, then fell and hit the back of her head on a concrete step. She was in a coma for a few days but woke up today.

https://twitter.com/DougStanhope/status/797591159753220096

They really do live on the edge.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'd heard about the coma, but not that she'd woken up. Yay!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Good. I hope she doesn't continue doing coke but she probably will rip

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought they split up?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sometimes people get back together.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XIII posted:

Sometimes people get back together.

I get that but the way it was told in this thread made that possibility sound remote, I guess.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I dig Stanhope and hope he and Bingo don't eventually kill themselves but it's looking like even odds right now. If you haven't checked out his appearance on This Is Not Happening it's definitely worth it.

Jeselnik is coming back to my neck of the woods in March and I'm way too excited. Probably the one guy I really want to see live.

Anyone else a fan of Chad Daniels? He's kind of in the same "I'm an awful person" boat as Jeselnik but more relatable. His bits about his family are surprisingly his strongest material.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Barry Crimmins is a funny dude.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, I assume you watched Call Me Lucky? You should check out When Stand Up Stood Out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, the UK is leaving the EU, Trump was elected president, and Bill Burr is gonna be a dad. Crazy times.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Chappelle has three specials coming out on Netflix next year.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Speaking of newness, David Cross has released a new CD that is 30% or so different than his Netflix special. Bonus, all proceeds will go to the ACLU and he will match all proceeds. Pretty dope.

https://officialdavidcross.com/blogs/press/i-know-i-cant-believe-it-either

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Megazver posted:

Chappelle has three specials coming out on Netflix next year.

This got me jazzed, his SNL episode was good. And his standup has been ridiculously good since he was so insanely young, it's almost unfair to other comedians.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Drinking game: take a shot every time Dave laughs at his own joke and slaps the mic against his leg

(only applies to his recent work)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XIII posted:

Drinking game: take a shot every time Dave laughs at his own joke and slaps the mic against his leg

(only applies to his recent work)

poo poo, he's been doing that since Killin' Me Softly (an all-time great special, IMO). I guess the nice way to look at it is if you don't think your own material is funny, it probably sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

XIII posted:

Bill Burr is gonna be a dad

Every time a standup comedian announces that they're having a kid, I think first of David Cross's bit about people who have kids and second about how terrible Patton Oswalt's comedy became after he had a kid.