Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Boltbus is owned by Greyhound so they're union, Megabus is non union AFAIK. So an easy choice really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

im not even going to try to determine if that is a real thing, because just that phrase in your post made me curl into a ball and cry for a couple minutes.

it was, and there's probably equivalents lurking about reddit to this day. they only pulled subreddits like that cause the news started reporting on it

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Uber eats launched here (Philadelphia) with a few competitive advantages having no delivery fee, food was within $1 of the actual menu price, and a much wider delivery range per restaurant. Now it's just habit for me to launch that app when I'm contemplating delivery rather than Caviar, eat24/GrubHub or seamless.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Gail Wynand posted:

Boltbus is owned by Greyhound so they're union, Megabus is non union AFAIK. So an easy choice really.
Thanks for letting me know this, it does make it easier to choose now. Kind of ironic considering the blackshirt logo. :godwin:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

At least on the east coast, with Bolt you can also ride standby for anytime the day the ticket is for.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I actually wonder if an app based bus could work. One that actually stopped at people's houses and brought them to work like a school bus with routes drawn up by algorithms to split the load evenly each day (and maybe sending vans for the people that would really ruin things)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I actually wonder if an app based bus could work. One that actually stopped at people's houses and brought them to work like a school bus with routes drawn up by algorithms to split the load evenly each day (and maybe sending vans for the people that would really ruin things)

Pretty easily. You just have to get people to accept 1) a long lead time between booking and travel (i.e., no 'Oh my car broke down let me do an UberBus') and 2) variable pricing on tickets based on how people book.

It's basically just a traveling salesman problem otherwise.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Google's adhd strikes again

quote:

Google Fiber is halting its rollout in 10 cities and laying off staff as its chief executive, Craig Barratt, steps down, dealing a major setback to the Internet giant's ambitions of blanketing the nation in super-speedy Internet.

Barratt, CEO of Alphabet's Access division who had been in charge of Google Fiber, said in a blog post that he would stay on as an adviser.

Fiber is changing its business and product strategy to focus on new technology and deployment methods "to make superfast Internet more abundant than it is today," Barratt said.

Cities that have begun to roll out Fiber will continue. But, Barratt said, operations will pause in "potential Fiber cities" where Fiber has been in exploratory discussions.

"Were confident well have an opportunity to resume our partnership discussions once weve advanced our technologies and solutions. In this handful of cities that are still in an exploratory stage, and in certain related areas of our supporting operations, well be reducing our employee base," Barratt wrote.

Google Fiber is in eight metropolitan areas and is committed to building in another four. It has been rethinking how it delivers speedy broadband access, shifting to wireless, a less expensive alternative to digging up streets and laying down fiber cables. Fiber is striving to bring Internet speeds of one gigabit per second to cities around the country, but progress has been slow.

Fiber recently said it would buy Webpass, which delivers its services to homes and businesses by sending data between transmitters installed on top of buildings.

Fiber is looking at a combination of Webpass, its own wireless technology and leases of existing fiber and municipal broadband networks to accelerate its expansion to supplement its efforts to deliver fiber-optic cable to each home and business it serves.

Google Fiber is part of Alphabet's Access division, which was created in the corporate restructuring of Google as Alphabet.

On recent earnings calls with analysts, Ruth Porat, chief financial officer of Google and Alphabet, defended the investment in Google Fiber, which is the most expensive division inside Alphabet apart from Google itself.

"Alphabet seems to have been rethinking lots of its non-core activities and either focusing them more narrowly, divesting them or making other changes. It feels like this is the latest shoe to drop," said Jan Dawson, chief analyst with Jackdaw Research. "Although Google is framing this as a pause while it considers next generation technologies, I would hope that its actually a concession on the companys part that being in the access business is a distraction rather than a strategic imperative."

The reason? "You could argue that Google has actually achieved its objective of getting more fiber broadband built by opening the doors to AT&T and other companies who are now building out fiber much more rapidly thanks to the changes to the franchising process driven by Google," Dawson said. "Fiber is rolling out much more quickly now its just not Googles fiber."

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't that just uberpool with a bus

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like airport shuttle services, or UberPool, but with a harder scheduling/routing problem.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It doesn't surpise me, wired Internet will eventually go the way of the landline. If Google or anyone else can develop a wireless protocol that allows for speeds comparable to residential wired Internet with no data caps, they stand to make billions.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Konstantin posted:

It doesn't surpise me, wired Internet will eventually go the way of the landline. If Google or anyone else can develop a wireless protocol that allows for speeds comparable to residential wired Internet with no data caps, they stand to make billions.

This is why the last gasp will be comcast or some other cable provider working together with at&t or verizon to buy up spectrum to ensure google or Facebook don't get it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Wired internet has *already* gone the way of the landline. You get a wireless access point by default whenever you get internet these days. Want a service that doesn't have a box in your house? We have that, it's called a cell tower.

This is purely about Google being unable to do long term support on anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Like airport shuttle services, or UberPool, but with a harder scheduling/routing problem.
I'm pretty sure this already exists somewhere, too. I definitely remember reading about this being set up in the Nordics somewhere, if I'm not mistaken.

E: yep, in Finland, and they shut it down already: http://citiscope.org/story/2016/why-helsinkis-innovative-demand-bus-service-failed

TL;DR: it "worked" but had to be subsidized at like €17/trip, at which point they could've just paid for taxis for everyone. Maybe they could've reached critical mass of ridership with SV-style financing but who knows.

Konstantin posted:

This probably will happen eventually, but I see no evidence of it occurring in the near future so far. You read occasionally how some researchers transferred some data at 10GBPS over a wireless link but in practice of course we're several generations behind that, and realistically the speeds are even below that. The real challenge seems to be congestion, as there's only so much crap you can fit in the available channels. If they can solve that magically, then great, of course.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 27, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

This is purely about Google being unable to do long term support on anything.
It also has to do with successful legal tactics to delay Google's access to utility poles and the like. There is a technological problem --which Google may well have solved-- and there's a social/political problem, which they demonstrably have not. That, also, is typical of Google: solving the technology alone.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

This probably will happen eventually, but I see no evidence of it occurring in the near future so far. You read occasionally how some researchers transferred some data at 10GBPS over a wireless link but in practice of course we're several generations behind that, and realistically the speeds are even below that. The real challenge seems to be congestion, as there's only so much crap you can fit in the available channels. If they can solve that magically, then great, of course.

I think the larger problem is that the various of problems that wireless transfers have due to the limitations of physics are things you just don't have to even consider when you simply beam information down a fiber tube at the speed of light. It's not like laying that tube is even necessarily that complex or expensive when municipal authorities actually have some foresight/funds when performing maintenance on their sewage and electrical grids. There simply is not that high a demand for better wireless alternatives outside of mobiles.

Hell, most countries have still not caught up to the capabilities of 4G (this is why some of you might be paying twice as much per GB as you did 5 years ago) and I dread to see what happens if a better method is standardized.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MiddleOne posted:

Hell, most countries have still not caught up to the capabilities of 4G (this is why some of you might be paying twice as much per GB as you did 5 years ago) and I dread to see what happens if a better method is standardized.

Yeah, but that is just because "4G" was a mushy term that didn't mean anything. It was just some arbitrary set of specs that some marketing people decided sounded good as a goal for a 4th generation of phones.

Actual specific technologies like LTE rolled out just fine and already cover a majority of the countries on earth.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It might work better in the developing world with somewhat ok smartphone/mobile phone penetration (e.g. South Africa or Kenya) where taking local public transport is also very unsafe and crowded. Basically somewhere with low operating costs and where public transport is poo poo but cars are too expensive.

The Finnish Kutsuplus service was ridiculous, you basically had to book it a day in advance which made it completely useless for me, except for early morning trips to the airport, but it only operated during the same hours as normal public transport so... Also, it was expensive.

Assuming you can figure out a way to provide such a service without getting shot yourself (the minibus companies in South Africa are basically gangs that resolve competition disputes with guns and the government is too incompetent and corrupt to stop them).

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

It's basically just a traveling salesman problem otherwise.

ok whew i was worried it would be something difficult

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Well there goes my chances of being a Vine star.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13437576/twitter-killing-vine

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ok whew i was worried it would be something difficult
Traveling salesman is an easy problem in this context. Buses can only hold < 100 people, and even ignoring that, the number of stops you can make is constrained by the amount time spent driving and distance between stops.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The real problem here is that what you're all describing is basically already how public bus systems work in most of the world. The pick-up times and locations are not set at random, they are based on demand- and optimization-models. Once you go above the shuttle size anything less standardized just becomes monstrously in-effective.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Would it be better to have a few huge buses for popular routes, with the other routes served by on-demand minibuses? You don't need to lay on a 100 seater to take 5 elderly people to the doctors at midday.

Huge buses seem to be the default, but they really snarl up traffic in busy conditions. 5 minibuses might be better than one enormous bus, because they wouldn't block a whole intersection when trying to turn. More jobs, too, for drivers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MiddleOne posted:

The real problem here is that what you're all describing is basically already how public bus systems work in most of the world. The pick-up times and locations are not set at random, they are based on demand- and optimization-models. Once you go above the shuttle size anything less standardized just becomes monstrously in-effective.

i assume this is also what google et al did when setting up their buses and why they have discrete pickup/dropoff points rather than going door-to-door

and why those stops tend to coincide w/ the muni stops

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Would it be better to have a few huge buses for popular routes, with the other routes served by on-demand minibuses? You don't need to lay on a 100 seater to take 5 elderly people to the doctors at midday.

Huge buses seem to be the default, but they really snarl up traffic in busy conditions. 5 minibuses might be better than one enormous bus, because they wouldn't block a whole intersection when trying to turn. More jobs, too, for drivers.

most transit systems are trying to reduce operating costs per mile, not increase them

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This is already something that most bus companies do. Well, at least here. :sweden:

They never go down to the shuttle level though, it just wastes the entire point of having a bus in the first place. I think 24-32 seats is the lowest density.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i assume this is also what google et al did when setting up their buses and why they have discrete pickup/dropoff points rather than going door-to-door

and why those stops tend to coincide w/ the muni stops

They tend to coincide with Muni stops to make connections with Muni easier.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MiddleOne posted:

The pick-up times and locations are not set at random, they are based on demand- and optimization-models.

With that data collected and run only once every few years instead of any sort of constant updating.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

These already exist right here in the USA. What do you think those Chevy shortbuses are for?

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 27, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

With that data collected and run only once every few years instead of any sort of constant updating.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to motivate how changing more than 2 times a year adds value or even serves a purpose. Predictability and efficiency are the cornerstones of mass transit as most travel is routine and thus changes only incrementally over time, more frequent alteration adds very little while messing with that predictability. Plus, it's not like mass transit doesn't already accommodate for non-routine exceptions like sport events, concerts and festivals.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MiddleOne posted:

I'm sorry but you're going to have to motivate how changing more than 2 times a year adds value or even serves a purpose. Predictability and efficiency are the cornerstones of mass transit as most travel is routine and thus changes only incrementally over time, more frequent alteration adds very little while messing with that predictability. Plus, it's not like mass transit doesn't already accommodate for non-routine exceptions like sport events, concerts and festivals.

Why is 2 times a year the exact specific correct answer for all markets? One would think some markets would change way slower than twice a year and it's a waste of funds to even run the data that often while some fast changing city 2 times a year would be painfully slow and unresponsive to demographic shifts. A college town could have a population that changes by 10,000 people week to week on vacations and stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I wrote 'more than', I don't know how I could be more clear. :confused:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That's going to be a weird conversation in 5 years.

"So, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm working as a bartender, but a few years ago I was a big deal on a 6 sec video app. I had BILLIONS of views!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

aww, that's too bad. I like vine because it enforces the "get to the point" rule with comedy videos. too many youtubes these days are like 11:00 long with barely any jokes, whereas vine forced you to basically maintain the same level of punch as 5secondfilms.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is 2 times a year the exact specific correct answer for all markets? One would think some markets would change way slower than twice a year and it's a waste of funds to even run the data that often while some fast changing city 2 times a year would be painfully slow and unresponsive to demographic shifts. A college town could have a population that changes by 10,000 people week to week on vacations and stuff.

A college town changes population on any major scale twice a year. Week before classes start to week after move-out.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Probably should have thought about this before you know, doing it:
https://twitter.com/rus/status/791681274339622913

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm 90% certain there's a traffic engineer in the Traffic Engineering thread who's said that the Florida state government is doing essentially this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm 90% certain there's a traffic engineer in the Traffic Engineering thread who's said that the Florida state government is doing essentially this.

It definitely seems like the sort of thing where there has to be a balence somewhere between totally dynamic routing that would be too silly and having totally static and fixed routes that only change after major investigation by human planners.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MiddleOne posted:

There simply is not that high a demand for better wireless alternatives outside of mobiles.

I think you've got this backwards. It's not that there is no demand for greater wireless communication capacity, it's just that there isn't that much inexpensive wireless communication capacity so people use wired communication instead.

You are right though--basic physics kind of dictates that wired communication will never go completely extinct. Fibers can carry incredible amounts of data over long distances and I think it's unlikely that wireless technology will be able to replace fiber as the back-bone of our communication network. Wireless may become good enough and cheap enough to connect from hubs to homes though.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It also has to do with successful legal tactics to delay Google's access to utility poles and the like. There is a technological problem --which Google may well have solved-- and there's a social/political problem, which they demonstrably have not. That, also, is typical of Google: solving the technology alone.

I don't know if Google really created that much technology in that area. I think they discovered that it is way harder to be a company which actually sells real-world and not virtual products and services. The planning and supply chain management for companies which sell real things is like a million times harder than being an internet company which started at around the time the internet really took off. IMO, companies like Amazon and Tesla are way more impressive than Google for this reason.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soylent recalled because people keep getting sick. Disrupt your GI system!

quote:

Liquid meal maker Soylent is stopping sales of its flagship powder, warning that a handful of customers reported stomach sickness after consuming it.

Soylent had already halted shipments of its months-old nutrition bar because of customer complaints of diarrhea, vomiting and upset stomachs. In an announcement late Thursday, the Los Angeles company said there appears to be a common ingredient that’s causing trouble in the latest version of its nutritional powder and its snack bar. The products share several common ingredients, Soylent said, but the investigation isn’t complete.