Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Don't you feel like a power like the one that moves terrain is really fun in an all comers list but horribly broken in a list that is designed for it? Wouldn't allowing people to pick their powers prevent you from having power like that, which is certain circumstances is broken, but in others extremely fun?

Yea I have never seen anyone take pyromancy expect for the one time I gave it a whirl. I think if you balanced the powers out, made ever primaris a bland but useful power so you never get a completely useless pysker, the random tables wouldn't be bad at all. I also wouldn't object to some powers being something you can take with points, but in general I think the random tables have the potential to be a really fun thing.

I also like that you don't pick your powers when building your list, you instead can respond to what your opponent has brought with them. In an ideal world you would roll on tables that are geared towards helping you deal with something your opponent has that your list will struggle with. Like a table that is good at dealing with horde, or a table that is good at countering vehicles.

Honestly, I think moving a piece of terrain creates so many problems (what happens to the physical models on it? who's moving it? Do I have to watch someone carefully move something with my models precariously balanced on it across the table? What happens if there's already terrain there? Other models?) before you consider things like balance issues that it just straight-up shouldn't be in the game.

Buying powers lets you balance them based on points cost, not randomness--a bland shooting power can be cheaper than something that's really strong, and leverage the tradeoff system that is already built into the game. It also lets you build powers into factions that fit that faction's theme--Chaos Space Marines for example, should only have blessings that boost the psyker, to reflect their selfish nature--they shouldn't have powers that help other units, just curses for their enemies. Space Marine powers should be simple and blunt, with only narrow combat benefits, reflecting their (deliberately) limited understanding of psychic powers and their use. Ork powers could key off of and improve based on having large mobz nearby. The mechanics can reinforce the underlying fluff/themes.

The random lists *could* be really fun, but I think randomness is more fun when it creates interesting situations in the game itself, not during setup, and when it doesn't lead to blowouts or major "feel-bad" moments (things like Deep Strike mishaps are huge "feel bad" moments because they typically mean that an expensive unit is functionally dead without ever getting to be used). While I don't like the cards themselves, I like the general concept of Tactical Objectives, for example--having random objectives given to you at the start of the game (or updated during) is an interesting concept and something that should be explored in more detail, since that has the potential to create unique curveball situations. But the deck needs *a lot* of work to be fun. Right now there's too much "I'm already on objective X and I drew two separate cards that say 'cap objective X' so now I'm up by 2 points" going on.

But Tactical Objectives are cool in that they clearly provide an easy way for "I just want wacky poo poo going on" players to have that while "competitive" players can just play other mission types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think all Psyker choices should come with 2 or occasionally 3 powers that are built in to their unit entry and they don't get to choose. Some are unique, others are from a list. Rarely a psyker choice allows you to choose one or two of their powers from a very small list. The powers get redone to be better balanced with the egregious nonsense cut away and it means that your choices of Psykers are made based on the combos they offer. Some Psykers have abilities that modify some of their powers a little to make them fluffier or interesting in a specific way to their faction.

E.g.

Lexicanum: Marine Power A; Generic Lightning Power
Epistolary: Marine Power B; Generic Lightning Power; Generic Telepathy Power
(With some variation and unique powers based on Chapter such as Salamander librarian uses fire instead of lightning and so it uses a flamer template)

Tzeentch Sorcerer: Red Flames; Blue Flames; Green Flames
Slaanesh Sorcerer: Slanderous Excess; Generic Telepathy Power

Farseer: Battle Runes A; Battle Runes B; Generic Telepathy Power

Nid Gribbly: Generic Biomancy Power; Generic Telepathy Power
(With Shadow In The Warp or suchlike baked in as an additional effect to the power)

Inquisitor: Choice of generic Telepathy or Divination, has wargear options that can modify the effects of the powers slightly.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 27, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

But that doesn't really make sense to me. If you don't have any psykers, you skip the phase and it saves everybody time. Then you get on with shooting, which if you have no psykers you probably have more poo poo to play with during shooting or assault phases. Its only a phase that exists if one of the players chooses to use it, that's cool IMO.

It does make things take a little longer... but not really? I mean otherwise psyker powers would be part of shooting phase or movement phase, and would still take time. You're just shifting when they happen, not how long they take.

Rolling warp charges takes a second, but one roll per phase ain't as bad as like 4 rolls per shooting attack, with potentially several shooting attacks per phase.

I mean, there's already a clear template for how powers can work in other phases--see 40k's 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th editions. Adding a phase for them adds a bunch of time to games because you have to roll for total charge, decide which power to use, roll to harness, resolve, pick another power, roll to harness, resolve, repeat, even if it adds only 5 minutes per turn, it will add 30 minutes to the average game to have 2 psykers on the table. Over a 6-turn game, that time really adds up.

I feel like Warp Charges and Deny the Witch are a big problem in the game because they take something cool that you want to use--psychic powers--and make it hard to actually do cool stuff with them. I'd rather the powers not be game-breaking but easy to get off and use. The game is more fun when my opponent and I both get to use the cool stuff we brought and have to react to each other's stuff. My ideal game has the strength/range of powers scale up based on ML and usage boil down to a Leadership test, with powers activated in the shooting phase.

Plus, denial for powers that don't target enemy units is dumb. Why can an opponent deny my ability to power a force weapon again?

ineptmule posted:

I think all Psyker choices should come with 2 or occasionally 3 powers that are built in to their unit entry and they don't get to choose.

Yeah, I'm kind of on that line of thought, though I'm probably more toward "1 power, with the option to replace with/or add a second"

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 27, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I mean, there's already a clear template for how powers can work in other phases--see 40k's 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th editions. Adding a phase for them adds a bunch of time to games because you have to roll for total charge, decide which power to use, roll to harness, resolve, pick another power, roll to harness, resolve, repeat, even if it adds only 5 minutes per turn, it will add 30 minutes to the average game to have 2 psykers on the table. Over a 6-turn game, that time really adds up.

That has nothing to do with it being a phase, though. You could have pysker powers use warp charges even if they happened during the shooting phase, depending upon the rules.

And you could have a psychic phase with no warp charges if that's what you wanted. They're independent.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I feel like Warp Charges and Deny the Witch are a big problem in the game because they take something cool that you want to use--psychic powers--and make it hard to actually do cool stuff with them. I'd rather the powers not be game-breaking but easy to get off and use. The game is more fun when my opponent and I both get to use the cool stuff we brought and have to react to each other's stuff. My ideal game has the strength/range of powers scale up based on ML and usage boil down to a Leadership test, with powers activated in the shooting phase.

I agree.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Plus, denial for powers that don't target enemy units is dumb. Why can an opponent deny my ability to power a force weapon again?

Counterspell? :cheeky:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of on that line of thought, though I'm probably more toward "1 power, with the option to replace with/or add a second"

I'd rather have lots of options. Instead, each model has the psychic domains they do now, and get access to ALL those spells, period.

Then make warp charge generation more random, and make spells cost increasing amounts of warp charges for how good they are. Maybe more spells should allow ranges of warp charges too, with increased effects if you over-pump them.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

:rolleye::respek::rolleyes: Agreed my dude. I definitely think they should be easier to use. Warp Charges and Deny are super lame because it just makes it less likely to use your cool space wizards.

Fewer powers overall, less choice, easier to use, the powers available to a particular guy define what they do.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd rather have lots of options. Instead, each model has the psychic domains they do now, and get access to ALL those spells, period.

Then make warp charge generation more random, and make spells cost increasing amounts of warp charges for how good they are. Maybe more spells should allow ranges of warp charges too, with increased effects if you over-pump them.

It's really hard to balance 42+ options per psyker, though. Like, impossibly hard, which is why GW just doesn't try and gives you a random chance at garbage or broken goodness.

Part of why I don't have a problem really narrowing the pool is because I'd limit Psykers to 1 cast per turn to save time (with only a few exceptions for special characters and the like), so having lots of powers would be more of a "nice-to-have" than something you'd get a ton of use out of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's really hard to balance 42+ options per psyker, though. Like, impossibly hard, which is why GW just doesn't try and gives you a random chance at garbage or broken goodness.

Part of why I don't have a problem really narrowing the pool is because I'd limit Psykers to 1 cast per turn to save time (with only a few exceptions for special characters and the like), so having lots of powers would be more of a "nice-to-have" than something you'd get a ton of use out of.

Random isn't really balanced though, if anything that's even more unbalanced. One game you've got the OP power, another game you've got the poo poo power. We've already said that all this requires GW to rebalance the powers.

One cast per turn is interesting but punishes having a few psyker level 3s versus taking an army of psyker level 1s. Not crazy about that.

But that's my point. You should be realy limited on what you can actually do (or even TRY to do, rather) with warp charges, but you should have tons of tactical options.

You should constantly be agonizing over all the ways to spend your warp charges. That's strategy and agency. Do I use a fireball this turn or save my warp charge and cast invisibility next turn? Well wait what if I charge my force sword, but then what if I miss... maybe it'd be better instead to... and so on.

Then make warp charges something you roll for and make rolling to manifest the power risky even with lots of warp charges, but get rid of deny the witch completely.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Random isn't really balanced though, if anything that's even more unbalanced. One game you've got the OP power, another game you've got the poo poo power. We've already said that all this requires GW to rebalance the powers.

One cast per turn is interesting but punishes having a few psyker level 3s versus taking an army of psyker level 1s. Not crazy about that.

But that's my point. You should be realy limited on what you can actually do (or even TRY to do, rather) with warp charges, but you should have tons of tactical options.

You should constantly be agonizing over all the ways to spend your warp charges. That's strategy and agency. Do I use a fireball this turn or save my warp charge and cast invisibility next turn? Well wait what if I charge my force sword, but then what if I miss... maybe it'd be better instead to... and so on.

Then make warp charges something you roll for and make rolling to manifest the power risky even with lots of warp charges, but get rid of deny the witch completely.

The MLs would be balanced by having the powers scale up, rather than having multiple powers.

So for example, your space marine Librarian could have one power that looks like this:

Adjustable Smite
Witchfire Power
Range: 24"
Strength: 3 + ML
AP: 4
Blast
Special: If cast by a psyker with ML 2, this power becomes Large Blast instead.

so your higher level psykers would get more out of their powers, rather than having more powers to cast. And you have plenty of levers to pull here--range, strength, AP, number of shots, blast size, etc. that can act as a more tangible difference between low- and high-ML psykers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Don't like that personally. Creates way too big of a difference between one level 2 psyker and 2 level 1 psykers.

And if you have 6 level 1 psykers, that means resolving 6 attacks every phase, rather than being able to dump all that into one big showstopper spell. Some factions don't even get access to level 3 psykers. Don't see that balancing very well.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Being able to roll on different tables looking for some specific power really helps give you answers against stuff you would have problems with. For example in my Battle Company having a small conclave lets me dig for Nullzone against wraiths, dig on the new mechnicaum powers for haywire hits/beams against knights, have some summoning (which in itself a huge toolbox), or some nonsense like Gate to keep my warlord alive. And just having 6 extra dice to try to stop powers can be nice too. It forces the other guy to overcommit to spells or not be able to have them. You can't stop everything but turning off Force or Cursed Earth is nice.

And yeah sometimes you have garbage powers. That's the problem you run into when you rely on small amount of dice rolls. It's also why I don't play anything that banks on invis/endurance/gate/shifting worldscape/whatever. Powers are good and can bail you out, but you can't expect to have them every single game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't like that personally. Creates way too big of a difference between one level 2 psyker and 2 level 1 psykers.

And if you have 6 level 1 psykers, that means resolving 6 attacks every phase, rather than being able to dump all that into one big showstopper spell. Some factions don't even get access to level 3 psykers. Don't see that balancing very well.

It'd be something I'd have to test to see how it plays. It's my general take on how I'd approach a first pass, but I haven't done much with it yet because the psychic stuff takes a *lot* of work to fix--it needs to be redone from the ground up. You gotta test everything.

As it is, the reason 6 spells don't happen every phase is because it's near impossible to actually cast 6 spells on 6 dice. But it wouldn't be as bad as it sounds if psychic powers replaced shooting, since you'd cut those rolls (however insignificant) out of the flow. You could still have big showstopper powers with stuff like formations like the Conclave or the Cyclopia Cabal. Or maybe there'd be a mechanic for pooling powers together to increase ML. Feels like something you'd want to give specific factions though, like the Eldar, where it makes the most sense (though they're already crazy strong).

Naramyth posted:

Being able to roll on different tables looking for some specific power really helps give you answers against stuff you would have problems with. For example in my Battle Company having a small conclave lets me dig for Nullzone against wraiths, dig on the new mechnicaum powers for haywire hits/beams against knights, have some summoning (which in itself a huge toolbox), or some nonsense like Gate to keep my warlord alive. And just having 6 extra dice to try to stop powers can be nice too. It forces the other guy to overcommit to spells or not be able to have them. You can't stop everything but turning off Force or Cursed Earth is nice.

And yeah sometimes you have garbage powers. That's the problem you run into when you rely on small amount of dice rolls. It's also why I don't play anything that banks on invis/endurance/gate/shifting worldscape/whatever. Powers are good and can bail you out, but you can't expect to have them every single game.

Yeah I mean I see the value in having more options, but I'm not sold that you need to have 80 different potential powers instead of say, 5 that you would definitely use in most circumstances. The only real upside to the table powers is that you can look at your opponent's list before deciding which power set to take which I'm not super fond of. Even in the situation you mentioned, you see your opp has a knight, choose to take the mech powers, then still only have a 1/6 chance of getting what you need.

It doesn't seem like negating actually forces opponents to overcommit unless the power is ML 1. It already takes 6-7 dice to cast a WC 3 power and those never get negated. Yeah you can negate powers that are ridiculously good, but the whole point of reworking the system is to make it so that powers don't break the game when they're used so that negating powers that don't target your units isn't necessary. Though rather than cancelling them at cast, it would be cool to give psykers the ability to dispel active buffs as an action.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 27, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

spacegoat posted:

gently caress yeah, subscribed.

She. And I dunno, I'd love to see her post again.

She? Last I knew Cata was the guy from Axis of Awesome? Not being facetious just genuinely wondering if we mean the same user

E: just googled, go Cataphract! Hope you still lurk on 'ham threads. I need to listen to more Axis.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I mean I see the value in having more options, but I'm not sold that you need to have 80 different potential powers instead of say, 5 that you would definitely use in most circumstances. The only real upside to the table powers is that you can look at your opponent's list before deciding which power set to take which I'm not super fond of. Even in the situation you mentioned, you see your opp has a knight, choose to take the mech powers, then still only have a 1/6 chance of getting what you need.

Well you throw 2 or 3 casters at it so you get 4-6 chances at it. Yeah you might not get it but otherwise you also just grab summoning and do that nonsense. Throwing lines of demonettes/dogs out to move block or start a pink horror rave in your backfield usually useful. And shiek is never terrible.

Looking at your opponent's list and then digging for powers/warlord traits is not only legit but a useful "sideboarding" option. You are throwing away very real options if you roll before you know what your opponent is playing.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It doesn't seem like negating actually forces opponents to overcommit unless the power is ML 1. It already takes 6-7 dice to cast a WC 3 power and those never get negated. Yeah you can negate powers that are ridiculously good, but the whole point of reworking the system is to make it so that powers don't break the game when they're used so that negating powers that don't target your units isn't necessary. Though rather than cancelling them at cast, it would be cool to give psykers the ability to dispel active buffs as an action.

Sometimes the best spells are ML1. I mean they are going to get their mastery level 2/3 power if they want it. It's stopping the other nonsense that matters. It changes their phase and maybe you get lucky and stop sheik, nova, gate, cursed earth, banishment, santurary, etc. OR they don't get to cast those incidental spells because they spent so many dice on the "main" spells.

It's these dumb corner cases that swing games (I have similar options with the ocean of dice conversation earlier). Knowing how to eek out these ones twosey advantages/get (un)lucky when the dice skew one way or another and capitalizing/recovering is what the game is all about.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Lord Twisted posted:

She? Last I knew Cata was the guy from Axis of Awesome? Not being facetious just genuinely wondering if we mean the same user

Yeah, same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmijUzgXpo

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
With all this talk of streamlining the game, all great ideas that the system desperately needs, but I don't like the chances of any of this happening when basically the same thing taken to its logical conclusion happened with age of sigmar, and just look at the backlash of poo poo gw got for that.

Chances are any streamlining of the rules will cause people to scream that they're pulling an end times on 40k, so I don't think they'd ever dare to now under the threat of monumental poo poo they'd get from nerds reflexively screaming bloody murder on the Internet.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Hamshot posted:

With all this talk of streamlining the game, all great ideas that the system desperately needs, but I don't like the chances of any of this happening when basically the same thing taken to its logical conclusion happened with age of sigmar, and just look at the backlash of poo poo gw got for that.

Chances are any streamlining of the rules will cause people to scream that they're pulling an end times on 40k, so I don't think they'd ever dare to now under the threat of monumental poo poo they'd get from nerds reflexively screaming bloody murder on the Internet.

I only play nerd games with people I know and like. This is stuff I'd just houserule, so idgaf if GW ever changes

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah Cataphract was a cool poster.

Good for her.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I guess Cata is too busy with touring and stuff to post much, tis a shame as I kinda wanted to see what she did with those SOBs I traded for event tix :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hamshot posted:

Oh gently caress you're right :smith:

Well I'd do happy enough with just updating orks and CSM to match the power level that tau, eldar and SMs enjoy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hamshot posted:

Devil you know and whatnot

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LOL, awesome.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Well you throw 2 or 3 casters at it so you get 4-6 chances at it. Yeah you might not get it but otherwise you also just grab summoning and do that nonsense. Throwing lines of demonettes/dogs out to move block or start a pink horror rave in your backfield usually useful. And shiek is never terrible.

Looking at your opponent's list and then digging for powers/warlord traits is not only legit but a useful "sideboarding" option. You are throwing away very real options if you roll before you know what your opponent is playing.

Sometimes the best spells are ML1. I mean they are going to get their mastery level 2/3 power if they want it. It's stopping the other nonsense that matters. It changes their phase and maybe you get lucky and stop sheik, nova, gate, cursed earth, banishment, santurary, etc. OR they don't get to cast those incidental spells because they spent so many dice on the "main" spells.

It's these dumb corner cases that swing games (I have similar options with the ocean of dice conversation earlier). Knowing how to eek out these ones twosey advantages/get (un)lucky when the dice skew one way or another and capitalizing/recovering is what the game is all about.

Curious to get your thoughts some more on tourney lists. Still working on the Battle Company I posted several months back, and took the time to analyze similar lists that have taken upper spots from larger competitive events. Not a lot of people have run with the Conclave, and I've noticed many going with Hunter's Eye on the Chaplain, and pushing more Grav in the Command Squad. I could do this if I pull some more special weapons out of the tactical squads, and this makes the Command Squad/Conclave Star even more deadly, but I am curious what you think. Is this putting to many eggs into one basket?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

I understand completely why you'd do all this in a competitive game.

But that's completely separate from the issue of whether the game should have you doing it in the first place. Like why would I care about the potential upside of fishing for powers when I'm proposing a system where you just buy your powers in list creation? I'm not arguing that eking out tiny advantages from the system isn't what the game is about, but that it shouldn't be about that, and more about tactical decisions made in the game itself.

Summoning is just straight up bad for the game, like everything else that gives you free stuff. I don't even enjoy playing with it when I'm the one using it. It's useful and powerful, but it isn't a particularly fun mechanic and it's the most transparently "pay to win" mechanic in the game (e: particularly since armies outside of CSM/Daemons can use it, which is just ridiculous)

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 28, 2016

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Fellow GSC bretheren, what are you doing with your Rockgrinder/Goliath kits? I am stumped, it only fits 10 dudes, so cant put neophyte + magus in one, and everything else in the list seems like it wants to deploy via the uprising chart, which makes me want to make rockgrinders, they also have neat rules. But cheap transports with a useful weapon and very nice, that mobile 50 pt TL autocannon has value.... I am torn.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mr.Booger posted:

Fellow GSC bretheren, what are you doing with your Rockgrinder/Goliath kits? I am stumped, it only fits 10 dudes, so cant put neophyte + magus in one, and everything else in the list seems like it wants to deploy via the uprising chart, which makes me want to make rockgrinders, they also have neat rules. But cheap transports with a useful weapon and very nice, that mobile 50 pt TL autocannon has value.... I am torn.

10 Neophytes with two Heavy Mining Lasers and two Grenade Launchers. 140pts for that much firepower is a steal.

Alternatively 10 Neophytes with 7 Shotguns, 2 Flamers, a Banner, and Leader with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword for maximum assault value. Drive around hollering and being disruptive jerks. Add a "Live Free and Die" bumper sticker to the Goliath.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SRM posted:

Hey hams, I wanted to introduce my new channel, CAMHAMMER:

I've been wanting to give something back to the gaming community for a while now, and I thought that producing high quality video content would really do the trick. I'm making the kind of content I want to see, and I'm hoping you all enjoy it too! My first video's a Dawn of War review, and you can check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puAQsWyops0

I'll be uploading every other Thursday with a new video! The channel will have:
- Army Showcases, showing off armies that see battle in my community, with the army’s creator describing their processes and reasoning behind the army
- Tutorials showing how to paint the armies from the showcases, with concise step by step instructions so you can follow along
- Plastic and Pixels, a show about video games based on tabletop games, comparing them to the source material and seeing how they stack up
- Event Reports, where I put on my journalist cap and report on gaming events I’ve gone to
- Battle Reports, edited and narrated after the fact so you’re not stuck watching an hour and a half of dudes rolling dice with crappy audio
And more to come!

Subscribe on Youtube or like the Camhammer page on Facebook for more updates, or just wait for me to post em here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Hd9_8GYNPVLGtD1sEDK_A
https://www.facebook.com/camhammershow

Usually I'm a bit apprehensive about game related youtube channels, but this is pretty good stuff. Good voice quality, well scripted, and you're pretty nice to listen to!

Good sub.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

10 Neophytes with two Heavy Mining Lasers and two Grenade Launchers. 140pts for that much firepower is a steal.

Alternatively 10 Neophytes with 7 Shotguns, 2 Flamers, a Banner, and Leader with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword for maximum assault value. Drive around hollering and being disruptive jerks. Add a "Live Free and Die" bumper sticker to the Goliath.

This is basically how I built two of my squads (the I have... 14 neophytes in the laser squad for extra infiltrating bodies).
Two of the seismic cannons can do alright in a transport as well... snapshot sucks but at least you are rolling a decent amount of dice.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Curious to get your thoughts some more on tourney lists. Still working on the Battle Company I posted several months back, and took the time to analyze similar lists that have taken upper spots from larger competitive events. Not a lot of people have run with the Conclave, and I've noticed many going with Hunter's Eye on the Chaplain, and pushing more Grav in the Command Squad. I could do this if I pull some more special weapons out of the tactical squads, and this makes the Command Squad/Conclave Star even more deadly, but I am curious what you think. Is this putting to many eggs into one basket?

Everyone is also playing White Scars and is forced to take Khan, which really sets you up to play a certain way. The eye is money, and if I was White Scars I'd use it. I don't think White Scars is the way to go now that the cataphratti termi captain exists and you can play Raptors. Also if you aren't white scars you can take an Inquisitor or something and hide your warlord to help deny that point. I also don't think the grav bike command thing is good, especially if you go second and really need it to kill a thing. Finally I think most BC struggles super hard against demons and you need answers that aren't more grav (and can be mobile) so I think the air formation is better, although I can kind of see the sturnguard formation, maybe. But without an air game flyrants and fatey just poo poo all over you.

I would do a ministar with the conclave in the bike squad I would play White Scars but when I was messing around with the conclave I usually kept them hidden in rhinos with just one hoping out to do a debuff/summon, but if I couldn't find a good power (no debuffes work against the corndawg block) I would dig for sanctuary or something and make my grav drop a mini deathstar (Mr Termi Captain would be 2++ rerolling 1s).

Basically I think a lot of people are building BC wrong. I'll see how right I am in a few weeks at Renegade, but my test games have been promising.

And since I know you are going to ask, here is the current build:

Raptors 1650
Cataphratii Termi Captain, fist, auspex
Chaplain
4x5 man tac squad, melta, combi, rhino
1x5 man tac squad, grav cannon, rhino
1x5 man tac squad, melta, combi, pod
2x5 assault squad, 2x flamer, pod
1x5 dev squad, 2x grav cannon, pod
1x5 dev squad, grav cannon, rhino
2x stormtalon, skyhammers
1x stormraven, multimelta, assault cannon
inquisitor, 3x skulls, warlord.

It gives me a grav drop, flamer pods to delay the drop if I need to, skulls to help pods not scatter and deny enemy scouts, 6 rhinos to scout up to hold the middle/outflank/hold objectives. Distributed grav, melta guns to wreck knights, and an air game to push wounds at specific locations when I lose my mobility, and several options to hide my warlord. I wish I could fit the shield eternal on the captain but whatever. Him having a fist and some wounds to soak is enough of a threat.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I understand completely why you'd do all this in a competitive game.

But that's completely separate from the issue of whether the game should have you doing it in the first place. Like why would I care about the potential upside of fishing for powers when I'm proposing a system where you just buy your powers in list creation? I'm not arguing that eking out tiny advantages from the system isn't what the game is about, but that it shouldn't be about that, and more about tactical decisions made in the game itself.

Summoning is just straight up bad for the game, like everything else that gives you free stuff. I don't even enjoy playing with it when I'm the one using it. It's useful and powerful, but it isn't a particularly fun mechanic and it's the most transparently "pay to win" mechanic in the game (e: particularly since armies outside of CSM/Daemons can use it, which is just ridiculous)

If I had to buy null zone or whatever I probably wouldn't even bother and just work on being more efficient elsewhere. I don't know man, when it was buy your powers back in 5th everyone just picked Null Zone, That SW Line Remove From Play Power, Sanguine Sword, and the GK deep strike bubble thing and everyone ran a libby as their HQ to get the busted libby's hood. If you can buy powers people will only buy the good ones, the end. I do kind of like the random tables so games feel different and you sometimes see powers that you wouldn't normally.

Summoning isn't really a problem if you play with a time cap. You can't play a game in a reasonable time frame summoning 4 units a turn. It really does make demons a very strong army and gives you some options to fish for as a loyalist. And even then a full on summoning build gets wrecked by a bunch of armies (ok really Tau/Eldar/Knights) if you have the shooting for it.

And I don't know. I think summoning is neat. If I was ever going to play fantasy (before AOS) it would have been vamp counts so I can make a ton of dudes. And Tervigons/spiders make new bases/models. Ever play against Scarab Farm (crons with like 10 spiders)? That poo poo is actually terrifying, can first turn charge, and plays super fast.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Attestant posted:

Usually I'm a bit apprehensive about game related youtube channels, but this is pretty good stuff. Good voice quality, well scripted, and you're pretty nice to listen to!

Good sub.
Thank you! I've fortunately been told I have a voice for radio more often than I've been told I have a face for it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp, that didn't take long. Formations for taking Sisters of Silence and Custodes in Battleforged games: https://www.games-workshop.com/reso...DATESISTERRULES

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
Is this a pretty decent 500 points list? I'm playing Salamanders, so I tried to make it a bit fluffy by loading up on flamer/melta weapons. I'd run the Librarian with the Tactical Marines in the Razorback and have them be the primary scoring units. The scouts would mostly be harassers/light vehicle hunters/objective rushers, and the dread would deep strike in wherever he's needed to support the tactical squad or the scouts. I'm new to the game, so I'm not sure if this is a sound strategy or not.

Librarian (1) - 90pts
1 Librarian: Frag and Krak grenades,Psyker Master Level 2,Bolt pistol,Force weapon

Tactical Squad (5) - 90pts
1 Sergeant: Combi-flamer,Chain sword,Melta bombs
3 Tactical Marine: Boltgun,Bolt pistol
1 Tactical Marine: Flamer,Bolt pistol

Razorback (1) - 75pts
1 Razorback: Twin-linked assault cannon

Scout Squad (5) - 70pts
1 Scout Sergeant: Combi-melta,Chain sword,Melta Bombs
4 Scout: Close combat weapon,Bolt pistol

Land Speeder Storm (1) - 40pts
1 Land Speeder Storm: Heavy flamer

Dreadnoughts (1) - 100pts
1 Dreadnought: Multi-melta,Power fist with stormbolter

Drop pod (1) - 35pts
1 Drop pod: Stormbolter

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Zark the Damned posted:

Welp, that didn't take long. Formations for taking Sisters of Silence and Custodes in Battleforged games: https://www.games-workshop.com/reso...DATESISTERRULES

I am the Fug of War

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Everyone is also playing White Scars and is forced to take Khan, which really sets you up to play a certain way. The eye is money, and if I was White Scars I'd use it. I don't think White Scars is the way to go now that the cataphratti termi captain exists and you can play Raptors. Also if you aren't white scars you can take an Inquisitor or something and hide your warlord to help deny that point. I also don't think the grav bike command thing is good, especially if you go second and really need it to kill a thing. Finally I think most BC struggles super hard against demons and you need answers that aren't more grav (and can be mobile) so I think the air formation is better, although I can kind of see the sturnguard formation, maybe. But without an air game flyrants and fatey just poo poo all over you.

I would do a ministar with the conclave in the bike squad I would play White Scars but when I was messing around with the conclave I usually kept them hidden in rhinos with just one hoping out to do a debuff/summon, but if I couldn't find a good power (no debuffes work against the corndawg block) I would dig for sanctuary or something and make my grav drop a mini deathstar (Mr Termi Captain would be 2++ rerolling 1s).

Basically I think a lot of people are building BC wrong. I'll see how right I am in a few weeks at Renegade, but my test games have been promising.

And since I know you are going to ask, here is the current build:

Raptors 1650
Cataphratii Termi Captain, fist, auspex
Chaplain
4x5 man tac squad, melta, combi, rhino
1x5 man tac squad, grav cannon, rhino
1x5 man tac squad, melta, combi, pod
2x5 assault squad, 2x flamer, pod
1x5 dev squad, 2x grav cannon, pod
1x5 dev squad, grav cannon, rhino
2x stormtalon, skyhammers
1x stormraven, multimelta, assault cannon
inquisitor, 3x skulls, warlord.

It gives me a grav drop, flamer pods to delay the drop if I need to, skulls to help pods not scatter and deny enemy scouts, 6 rhinos to scout up to hold the middle/outflank/hold objectives. Distributed grav, melta guns to wreck knights, and an air game to push wounds at specific locations when I lose my mobility, and several options to hide my warlord. I wish I could fit the shield eternal on the captain but whatever. Him having a fist and some wounds to soak is enough of a threat.

Tough choices now. I didn't realize Raptors got army wide scout which is half the reason to go White Scars with the Khan. Unfortunately I can't take the Hunter's Eye if he is my warlord, which is largely the point. I could see why mixing in a conclave with a SnP Devastator squad could be pretty drat nasty.

Still unsure on the fliers, although it would save me a lot of painting since I have a built Stormwing. Looks like I some experimental list building to juggle around, let me know how it goes. I've seen some high placing lists that swap the anti-air force in for the auxiliary.

Part of me is consider Ultramarines BC like yours but with Tigurius thrown into the conclave. I know he is expensive but if I go ML1 on the other two psykers it might more than make up for it given his rerolling powers...

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Hihohe posted:

I am the Fug of War

"Fug" is a real word, but I'm not sure if they intentionally used it or not.

fug
fəɡ/
noun British informal
noun: fug; plural noun: fugs

a warm, stuffy, or smoky atmosphere in a room.
"the cozy fug of the music halls"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Phanos posted:

"Fug" is a real word, but I'm not sure if they intentionally used it or not.

fug
fəɡ/
noun British informal
noun: fug; plural noun: fugs

a warm, stuffy, or smoky atmosphere in a room.
"the cozy fug of the music halls"

Oh! i learned something today!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
in the grim darkness of 40k, there is only fuggy huggies

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do I actually need to assemble some Warhammer 40k models? Can I get away with just nippers, exacto knife and plastic cement? I don't actually need a dedicated mold line tool, I can just do the mold lines with an exacto knife, right?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

What do I actually need to assemble some Warhammer 40k models? Can I get away with just nippers, exacto knife and plastic cement? I don't actually need a dedicated mold line tool, I can just do the mold lines with an exacto knife, right?

Yup! It's what I use mostly. I only use the mold line tool on resin as I ham and alcohol a lot and I've cut into one too many pieces. The one extra thing I'd recommend is some fine grit diamond files, but otherwise you're set.

What're you building?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
You'll be fine, maybe get some solid/liquid greenstuff if you plan on building any metal/finecast.
I like my moldline remover for softer moldlines but it's a luxury rather than an neccessity. 90% of the time it gets used to open boxes and letters on delivery day tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ijyt posted:

Yup! It's what I use mostly. I only use the mold line tool on resin as I ham and alcohol a lot and I've cut into one too many pieces. The one extra thing I'd recommend is some fine grit diamond files, but otherwise you're set.

What're you building?

I'm just figuring out what I'd need to get started doing modeling. I have no idea what army I'd start with, I'd like so many of them I probably won't know until I go to the store and let a moment's whimsy guide my hand

• Locked thread