Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So how long until these dip shits are back at the bird sanctuary declaring that the verdict means it's theirs now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

lol this guy is gonna make so much money off sovcits

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Isn't there a term for where:
The more you want an event to happen, the more likely anything BUT that will event will occur?

I think that is the moral of the story here. Believe nothing will go right forever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kazak_Hstan posted:

This is not necessarily over. Remember this was a conspiracy charge. It was a conspiracy charge because it was proprietary jurisdiction, meaning federal charges requiring special maritime or territorial jurisdiction were not available (the basic substantive criminal statutes), same with the Assimilative Crime Act. The full weight of Oregon criminal statutes can still be applied here. That is not a double jeopardy issue. That is, if the state of Oregon wants to deal with this.

Because what an Oregon DA wants to do is risk losing to a bunch of sovcits.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when everyone was talking about how competently the Feds handled this, but not giving them their martyrdom, and picking them up after the furor died down so to not make a scene?

lol

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kazak_Hstan posted:

This is not necessarily over. Remember this was a conspiracy charge. It was a conspiracy charge because it was proprietary jurisdiction, meaning federal charges requiring special maritime or territorial jurisdiction were not available (the basic substantive criminal statutes), same with the Assimilative Crime Act. The full weight of Oregon criminal statutes can still be applied here. That is not a double jeopardy issue. That is, if the state of Oregon wants to deal with this.

I would be loving shocked if Oregon didn't go to bat for the government in this instance.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Do they explain why they aren't guilty despite all the evidence literally showing them there with guns and threatening people?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Burt Sexual posted:

Look forward to the sov cit celebration live stream. Please post.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/auEzCDEyODk5OTZ8MU1ueG5YempOUWRHT0WVC8jCrd41-7yURnynqMqcHl9ZCUlN7lt9L9CKRc2-

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Has someone posted this to the PYF Schadenfreude thread yet? Because it needs to be there.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

drilldo squirt posted:

Do they explain why they aren't guilty despite all the evidence literally showing them there with guns and threatening people?

No, and a jury never has to.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thia verdict is admissible in the NV case, right?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Because what an Oregon DA wants to do is risk losing to a bunch of sovcits.

This is not a decision the harney county attorney will be making. Gov. Brown was gung ho to see action taken on this.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ponzicar posted:

Does this mean that the juror that got expelled was the one guy refusing to vote not guilty?

yeah it sounds like it. It sounds like he had a wall of gormless faces all saying where's the csi dna testing and where's the surprise witness. I seen a lotta tv this trial didn't look real to me. and he said yeah but they're guilty I mean maybe I'm biased because I used to work there but come on this is a slam dunk case and they got the judge to remove him so they could all go home and watch gibbs yell at the terrorist some more.

I mean what the gently caress even happened here. What the gently caress. This loving country. OJ was just one murderer let loose. Who cares. This is the mistrial of the century. gently caress me.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
C-SPAM: Refuge Occupiers go free in a display of justice more broken than Bundy's face

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

If you can arrange it so I can take on every Malheur defendant and juror in the octagon at once, I will do it

Because they're right: Our legal system is broken and we need to use force to make the world better

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Geostomp posted:

I want each of those jurors to personally watch what their idiocy has allowed.

Spoiler alert: they're gonna love it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

brugroffil posted:

True, but if this was a bunch of sovcit sympathizers nullifying, you know they won't be able to resist shouting that they did so to the heavens sooner or later.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

brugroffil posted:

I would like to know who the prosecutor was that chose these people and how fired he is.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

brugroffil posted:

There is most likely a good reason for this. What is it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe they should have been charged with more conventional things like Trespassing, Breaking and Entering, or Vandalism? People can more easily relate to things like that than "conspiracy to impede".

There was video of those guys in a place they weren't supposed to be doing things they weren't supposed to do, but apparently the jury didn't think that was proof of a conspiracy. And they can only convict on the charges that were brought.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Geostomp posted:

This is the absolute worst possible outcome. Now the wingnuts around the country have seen that they can do whatever they want and face no consequences if white enough. With Trump riling them up more and more, we will see much more terrorism this November. We know that jurors will gladly let them all walk even with mountains of evidence because they can't being themselves to make white right wingers face any kind of responsibility.

I want each of those jurors to personally watch what their idiocy has allowed.

piles and piles of bodies the first time around would have had way less fallout than this will, lol

erso ergo procter procter, therefore I'm free to go because I'm not a boat

toot toot

gently caress america. conservatives always get off.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i've never been more jaded and disillusioned with my country in my life

i give up

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the next standoff is gonna happen, and this time the Feds are just gonna shoot them

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I actually respect this. (Though he isn't because he had the hung charge).
The idea that the state gets to take you back to jail and "process you out" for hours after an NG is loving bullshit and absolutely something someone should fight.
I've see people held for 3 years on bullshit murder cases not get to hug their familes after aquittal and have to spend another 8 hours in jail because of paperwork. If he's not guilty, let him walk the gently caress out of the the courtroom

This is a weird case to do it on though because he had a hung charge and is facing charges on the NV case.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zamujasa posted:

C-SPAM: Refuge Occupiers go free in a display of justice more broken than Bundy's face

:golfclap:

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I just got the NYT alert saying they were all acquitted

that has to be for some minor charge or poo poo right, did they actually just get away with an armed insurrection and were found not guilty, did that actually just happen?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Whats the end game here? To encourage more Ruby RIdges and Wacos?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What charges does the state really have? Burglary on a felony malicious injury to property theory? Misdemeanor trespassing?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
that's really dumb. Can the govt still try them for all the things they decided to not charge them with?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe they should have been charged with more conventional things like Trespassing, Breaking and Entering, or Vandalism? People can more easily relate to things like that than "conspiracy to impede".

There was video of those guys in a place they weren't supposed to be doing things they weren't supposed to do, but apparently the jury didn't think that was proof of a conspiracy. And they can only convict on the charges that were brought.

Those are state charges in this situation due to the jurisdictional setting. They were not available to federal prosecutors.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VikingSkull posted:

the next standoff is gonna happen, and this time the Feds are just gonna shoot them

Hillary going to pilot the drone herself.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Was the dismissal of Juror 11 for bias based solely on the word of the other jurors? Did 11 people lie to get rid of the one who wasn't going along with the group?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I actually respect this. (Though he isn't because he had the hung charge).
The idea that the state gets to take you back to jail and "process you out" for hours after an NG is loving bullshit and absolutely something someone should fight.
I've see people held for 3 years on bullshit murder cases not get to hug their familes after aquittal and have to spend another 8 hours in jail because of paperwork. If he's not guilty, let him walk the gently caress out of the the courtroom

This is a weird case to do it on though because he had a hung charge and is facing charges on the NV case.

Yeah, no, they are still being held on the Nevada charges.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The FBI is playing the super-long con to give them even more rope to now hang themselves with.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

BTW, I have 20bux saying juror 11 speaks within the month.
What could theoretically happen if he says "I wanted to review the charges and go over the evidence but the others said 'jury nullification' and then they kicked me out when I got mad?"

If they actually came out and said it isn't that grounds for some kind of appeal on legal grounds?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
hey guys seven progressives got together in a room and talked about smashing capitalism, time to pull out the riot gear and beat a couple of hippies to death

oh 30 white dudes with assault rifles held federal agents at gunpoint for hours and then set up snipers and pointed rifles at the FBI? and then a year later they took over a federal wildlife refuge, did more than a million dollars of damage to it, and threatened and harassed multiple federal government employees? we'll let them play games until they get bored, hold them in a comfortable cell for six months and then find them not guilty of all charges.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

rabble rabble posted:

I just got the NYT alert saying they were all acquitted

that has to be for some minor charge or poo poo right, did they actually just get away with an armed insurrection and were found not guilty, did that actually just happen?

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/791779824838639616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is fine because I'd really rather the bundy's occupy somewhere else, and the FBI seeing that they were found not guilty previously just loving mercs them instead this time

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
WTF? How? I thought the acquittal announcement was a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
so if I go to the post office, with a gun, and order everyone out, this is... legal?