Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm just amazed they couldn't even bother to convict for trespassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I am legit shook.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Telsa Cola posted:

Ill ask again, why do juries not have to provide a basic critical reasoning of there judgments? Would it be to hard to figure out what is "good" enough?

Probably, though I'd still bet money that the jury outright nullified in this case since the odds of "well there wasn't proof beyond reasonable doubt" as their argument is loving laughable.

I'm still more on board with just using the 90s playbook of "militia issue? Kill every last one of them" since at this point I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if they all walk for the loving ranch standoff too.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So they only hope we have right now is if the jurors are dumb enough to say anything even vaguely related to jury nullification to a camera?

A juror could admit on camera that they lied their way on to the jury to ensure an acquittal and it's not going to matter beyond the feds going after the juror, maybe.

This trial just makes one thing abundantly clear:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Unironically Janet Reno did nothing wrong.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
haha remember when that one guy died, bet he sure feels like an idiot

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Geostomp posted:

Let's see how they rationalize upholding that stance after the coming wave of militia terrorism when Trump falls without openly saying "white people can't be terrorists."

It's Obama's/Hillary's fault.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
gently caress OJ (though I remmeber that cause old) this is exactly the same sick feeling I got when George Zimmerman got away with murder

also I had to look up Zimmerman's name because gently caress that guy expunge him from memory

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
#podestaemails20

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Please, please let him be trampled by his dad's feral cows.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
LOL

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/791790016628334592

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

A juror could admit on camera that they lied their way on to the jury to ensure an acquittal and it's not going to matter beyond the feds going after the juror, maybe.

I know, I just want something out of this.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So they only hope we have right now is if the jurors are dumb enough to say anything even vaguely related to jury nullification to a camera?

fyi this literally wouldn't change anything even if they went on camera immediately after and said "yeah it was nullification, suck my rear end hippies"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's cool that white people are allowed to shoot minorities and threaten armed rebellion in the year of our lord twenty sixteen in America.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

So it was state charges? Why can't they move a fed charge anywhere?

They were federal charges. It was in Portland because the federal district court in Oregon is in Portland. The jury was drawn from across Oregon because that's the applicable district. You cannot just move a federal criminal case to another federal district willy nilly, and especially not for the specific reason that it is more likely to result in a conviction.

Though i seem to recall the court made a special point to draw the jury from more than just portland for this case in particular, because of course they did, because these are Rural Whites, so people better bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rabble rabble posted:

haha remember when that one guy died, bet he sure feels like an idiot

I imagine the various lower-level militants who plead out and flipped on the Bundy's feel like right jackasses now. Presuming they're capable of self reflection, of course (spoiler: they're not).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I really really want someone to interview the jurors, particularly #11.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791790253849784320

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Follow up on this, the most famous case of this happening was one of the Gotti trials and the juror got hosed hard for pulling it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

brilliant, find them not guilty of conspiracy so that they begin planning this dumb poo poo out in the open next time

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Black man selling loose cigs on a street corner gets murdered but white people with guns threatening to murder people get acquitted.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

LGD posted:

fyi this literally wouldn't change anything even if they went on camera immediately after and said "yeah it was nullification, suck my rear end hippies"

We'd at least have something to point to.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Al! posted:

#podestaemails20

I can't believe it's been twenty years since the first Podesta email leaks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

drilldo squirt posted:

Black man selling loose cigs on a street corner gets murdered but white people with guns threatening to murder people get acquitted.

To be fair, they did get one of them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Good.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

IMO jury nullification is a force for good overall and a good check on bullshit laws

Most of the time

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I always thought Oregonians were stupid.

I always knew they think they are sticking it to the man just by living there.

I really hate that state. I bet they wouldn't convict them based on it being a federal case full stop. Oregonians are really stupid and think they are pioneers making it on their own in the frontier even when they work at Wal-Mart.

gently caress Oregon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

haha a bunch of minority polling places are going to be taken over by Nazi militias on elections day hahah its gonna be great haha they'll get away with it too

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I mean, it is fairly extraordinary for counsel to be tased in a courtroom, but would it surprise anyone if he was being a grandstanding nomcompliant piece of poo poo to enhance his cred with his new dumb redneck gravy train?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dewgy posted:

brilliant, find them not guilty of conspiracy so that they begin planning this dumb poo poo out in the open next time

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/791790936976089093

https://twitter.com/karinapdx/status/791791213774934017

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/791791316808048640

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazak_Hstan posted:

They were federal charges. It was in Portland because the federal district court in Oregon is in Portland. The jury was drawn from across Oregon because that's the applicable district. You cannot just move a federal criminal case to another federal district willy nilly, and especially not for the specific reason that it is more likely to result in a conviction.

Though i seem to recall the court made a special point to draw the jury from more than just portland for this case in particular, because of course they did, because these are Rural Whites, so people better bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Thx

I'm white so good I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nm posted:

I don't exactly know what happened. If the judge said "he's still being held on charges in nevada" then yeah, he should have stfued. If they said "well he needs to be processed out", I'm less concerned as I suspect mumford forgot about it.
I'm pretty curious what let to the tackling though, verbal arguements tend not to result in that in court.

Any judge stupid enough to let one of the Bundys out of custody needs to be removed from the bench for incompetence. There is zero loving chance of them not immediately hauling rear end to the family compound to hide behind their militia buddies like their idiot dad did until he was foolish enough to leave and get on a plane.

VikingSkull posted:

So I wonder how many Native Americans are gonna do time for the DAP protest

If members of the tribe hunted these people down and started killing them I'd honestly be unable to serve on that jury because I'd support their actions 100% at this point.

Dear God please give Janet Reno access to some predator drones and this fucker's location.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

IMO jury nullification is a force for good overall and a good check on bullshit laws

Most of the time
It can be, but it has been used way too often to aquit white dudes of hosed up poo poo. I don't want to get rid of it (and not sure how you would without weakening a lot of vital double jeopardy protections), but it gets misused more than it is used properly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I always thought Oregonians were stupid.

I always knew they think they are sticking it to the man just by living there.

I really hate that state. I bet they wouldn't convict them based on it being a federal case full stop. Oregonians are really stupid and think they are pioneers making it on their own in the frontier even when they work at Wal-Mart.

gently caress Oregon

they're white conservatives in an overwhelmingly white state founded explicitly in white supremacy

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it answers the question of what would a white version of the O.J. verdict look like.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the person I feel the worst about here is FBI Mark :(

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kazak_Hstan posted:

And IIRC outside of Portland Oregon is hick as gently caress.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

radical meme posted:

Well, it answers the question of what would a white version of the O.J. verdict look like.

Again this is a lot different that the oj verdict considering they have video of them doing the things they were accused of.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I mean, it is fairly extraordinary for counsel to be tased in a courtroom, but would it surprise anyone if he was being a grandstanding nomcompliant piece of poo poo to enhance his cred with his new dumb redneck gravy train?

No, but I really want to know what happened. The oregonian seems to make it like
"Let my client go"
"He has an NV case"
"Does he have a hold?"
*tackle*
Which I highly doubt is actually the case (I assume he was being a much bigger jackass), but their version is pretty strange.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

U.S. should scrap its justice system altogether and just settle all trials by spinning a big ol' wheel bartertown-style; it would save a shitload of time and money and honestly lead to way less retarded outcomes on average.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

disjoe posted:

Most of the time

It's not, because as a statistical matter it protects the majority, which more or less by definition does not require extra-legal means of protection outside of actual apartheid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is objectively a very bad thing for our country.