Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Otto Porter getting the day one start. HYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The worst part about Embiid being good is that somewhere Hinkie is happy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

Isn't this true of almost all of the good defensive big men?

Maybe a little but Bogut takes it to a Garnettian level

Dejan Bimble posted:

Spacebump: I wasn't attacking your assetion, it's just accepted that Bogut is an illegal screener extradonaire, Kevin Garnett Level. This is a good question for the thread: Who do you think is the best defensive big of the last 10 years who didn't set blatantly illegal screens

I don't recall a lot of that from Tyson Chandler, Dwight didn't do it in Orlando (not sure after but he wasn't a great defensive big anymore regardless. Hibbert didn't move on them (or at all) because he's just a big golem, nor Yao, they were both so big they didn't need to. It's not universal at all. Basically anyone big enough or fast enough to get set even when his guy jumps the gun, unless they're like Garnett and just straight guard defensive players while on offense, as if to confuse them and see if they'll shoot at the wrong basket.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Much like flopping, illegal screens are an art. You don't have to be a Laimbeer-esque shithead about it but catching your dude by shuffling your feet helps open the offense up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Otto Porter getting the day one start. HYPE

Oubre > Porter

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

a new study bible! posted:

The worst part about Embiid being good is that somewhere Hinkie is happy.

Good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Last night literally got hinkie another job.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Still think it's bullshit Hinkie got shitcanned right before his plan was going to start to pay off.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Bulls signed RJ Hunter

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
People in Chicago seem to genuinely hate this team, maybe it'll actually be affordable to see a game this year

https://twitter.com/realmikewilbon/status/791795906324664324

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Real Alpha Hours

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Dexo posted:

Still think it's bullshit Hinkie got shitcanned right before his plan was going to start to pay off.

It was. Other GMs and agents were all having a cry

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

It was and his strategy was perfectly legitimate. Philly has a much better chance of being a top-4 seed in the next few years than bad teams who chased mediocre trade and free agency targets and are still just bad, like Sacramento or Phoenix.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Papercut posted:

It was and his strategy was perfectly legitimate. Philly has a much better chance of being a top-4 seed in the next few years than bad teams who chased mediocre trade and free agency targets and are still just bad, like Sacramento or Phoenix.

Embiid Simmons plus top pick is pretty tight

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Looking the other way on illegal screens was a not insignificant part of opening the game back up and moving away from the terrible slog that was 90s and early 00s basketball so illegal screens are good imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Papercut posted:

It's still really brutal to see a team flatline for four years, it's cool that his minmax twink one weird trick worked out for the Sixers but it's hard on the fans, especially when you have setbacks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Looking the other way on illegal screens was a not insignificant part of opening the game back up and moving away from the terrible slog that was 90s and early 00s basketball so illegal screens are good imo

In 2k16 they called illegal screens in MyCareerPlayer and it was the worst

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Papercut posted:

we don't have to have this argument for the millionth time, but Philadelphia is still very far from being good and it's not legit to make your franchise bad for 10 years in order to finally contend. The 6ers had some unique set-backs, but if they had genuinely hit on any of the early picks, they would have been damned to the kings/suns 4-8 zone anyway.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

It's still really brutal to see a team flatline for four years, it's cool that his minmax twink one weird trick worked out for the Sixers but it's hard on the fans, especially when you have setbacks

I don't think Kings fans have been stupid enough to be excited about that team in the last four years either. Fans know when their team is trash, whether they waste a bunch of resources on expensive non impact players or not.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Illegal screens shouldn't be a foul anyway

Enbiid, Hinkie own

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah Philly isn't and won't be good for years still. It's also a pretty damning statement on the game that the only way to contend for a title is to at least win a superstar in the lottery.

NBA is still cool though.

Hinkie doesn't own.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It doesn't take a tech genius to figure out that if you are lovely for years and years then you get to draft* better players

*but dont draft any guards for the love of god and also trade your decent guard too

Also, I think its hosed up that you can get ejected for flipping some player the bird.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah Philly isn't and won't be good for years still. It's also a pretty damning statement on the game that the only way to contend for a title is to at least win a superstar in the lottery.

Hinkie doesn't own.
There's certainly that aspect but the Spurs and the Warriors weren't.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There's certainly that aspect but the Spurs and the Warriors weren't.
Duncan and Curry were both drafted by those teams.

The Warriors and Spurs also drafted Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, and Kawhi Leonard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hinkie doesn't own.

Hinkie doesn't own.

You can banana boat your way into two hall of famers I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Spurs are like the defining example of tanking working

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Honestly the best model is the current Celtics

In theory .

But the Warriors and cavs are both draft teams.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Also, I think its hosed up that you can get ejected for flipping some player the bird.

Especially after that player viciously incited you

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ssell-westbrook

quote:

"In this instance, after standing up to boo and being provoked by Russell Westbrook calling attention to my being overweight, my action in response was clearly inexcusable and I am embarrassed. I sincerely apologize to my fellow Sixers fans, the Sixers organization, my colleagues and patients, and to Mr. Westbrook for my behavior," the statement said.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Honestly the best model is the current Celtics

In theory .

But the Warriors and cavs are both draft teams.

The Cavs were also a pretty good example of it not working before LeBron got guilt tripped into going back which is an impossible to replicate scenario on a bunch of levels

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

after standing up to boo and being provoked

🤔

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It doesn't take a tech genius to figure out that if you are lovely for years and years then you get to draft* better players

*but dont draft any guards for the love of god and also trade your decent guard too

Yeah but they got Noel + another first in that trade and a lot of people thought he was going to be really good and the first ended up being pretty high too I think?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

The Cavs were also a pretty good example of it not working before LeBron got guilt tripped into going back which is an impossible to replicate scenario on a bunch of levels

Tt love and kyrie all make that team too and are all drafted or immediate draft assets.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'm sure russell "my brother is the fattest man in the world" westbrook just spends all of his time taunting fat people on camera

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

No one knew Westbrook would morph into what he has, and Lenny Beans certainly wasn't a lottery pick, iirc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They never drafted in a spot when a guard was bpa.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The NBA has always been that way though so it doesn't matter unless they created a cool system for distributing draft picks. Give the championship winner pick 30, the worst team in the league pick 29, the championship runner up pick 28, second worse 27, and so on.

Some sort of bell curve model where the teams that are right on the cusp of the playoffs get the best picks would be cool and rad. It would also force the worst teams to get better in free agency before they could start getting decent picks. Maybe that would kill all the small market teams, but it wouldn't be different from how it currently is.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 28, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ainge building a 48-win team out of one mediocre top-10 pick and a bunch of spare tires is pretty crazy still

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

No one knew Westbrook would morph into what he has, and Lenny Beans certainly wasn't a lottery pick, iirc.

Leonard was one away from the lottery. I mean .. ok.

The percentages of players being great in the teens is low tho.

Simmons is going to play and be a monster and the whole thing will be academic .

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kawhi was picked 15th, hell he was traded for with a player that was on his last year.

The NBA has always been that way though so it doesn't matter unless they created a cool system for distributing draft picks. Give the championship winner pick 30, the worst team in the league pick 29, the championship runner up pick 28, second worse 27, and so on.

Some sort of bell curve model where the teams that are right on the cusp of the playoffs get the best picks would be cool and rad. It would also force the worst teams to get better in free agency before they could start getting decent picks.

Stupid GMs will never win championships no matter how many advantages you give them. You can literally give all the draft options to Billy King, he will still barely make the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Tt love and kyrie all make that team too and are all drafted or immediate draft assets.

That team with a Kyrie/Wiggins/Thompson core would be pretty lovely

• Locked thread