Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Keep getting tempted to play TLD again, but it sounds like the beginning of story mode is just around the corner, so I keep telling myself to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Walking is so slow in TLD and everything is really far away.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Walking is so slow in TLD and everything is really far away.

i really wish they'd allow some modding. first thing i'd do is increase the walking speed and then slow the passing of time a little. it's a great looking game with great atmosphere but right now too much about micromanagement instead of exploration.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Has anyone tried Empyrion: Galactic Survival for any significant chunk of time? Looks really interesting, great reviews on Steam, but even at 50% off it's riiight at that point where I'm wary about plunking down for it. Comparisons to Space Engineers / StarMade would be especially useful.

(Also holy geeze, why are survival games sprouting up like weeds? Like obviously Minecraft was the grandaddy, but did I miss a generation 2-3 years ago where there were some really hugely successful ones to inspire all these wannabes?)

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

A ton of goons have been playing it lately. We are on a server of about ~80 and have been dominating as the pirate faction. It's basically eve meets space engineers. Check it out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793800&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ghost of Starman posted:

Has anyone tried Empyrion: Galactic Survival for any significant chunk of time? Looks really interesting, great reviews on Steam, but even at 50% off it's riiight at that point where I'm wary about plunking down for it. Comparisons to Space Engineers / StarMade would be especially useful.

There's actually a big thread on the multiplayer, unless someone made a really similar sounding game called Empyrion Online. I haven't read the whole thing but the popularity of the thread bodes well for it.

quote:

(Also holy geeze, why are survival games sprouting up like weeds? Like obviously Minecraft was the grandaddy, but did I miss a generation 2-3 years ago where there were some really hugely successful ones to inspire all these wannabes?)

Yes. For awhile the running joke was that 95% of the games on Steam were early access survival crafting games.

Edit: Ninja'd

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

dylguy90 posted:

EVE meets space engineers

:fap:

Thanks, friends!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I downloaded Minecraft again and had forgotten how much I love games like that.

What's the new hotness for survival/building?
I played Ark but, like Rust, it was ruined by other people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've never heard anyone here talk about it, but Creativerse is a free game on Steam that's basically everything vanilla Minecraft is and much more.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Inzombiac posted:

I downloaded Minecraft again and had forgotten how much I love games like that.

What's the new hotness for survival/building?
I played Ark but, like Rust, it was ruined by other people.

I really like Subnautica. It's not quite 1.0 though so I'd save it for January-ish. It's not blocky but it does have base building and a pretty awesome pre-designed world to explore.

Don't Starve, especially the multiplayer Version (sold as a seperate game) are pretty great Wilderness Survival games. It's not much of a builder though.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 29, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know if anyone's taken a look at this, but Orcish Inn looks like it has potential. It's not so much "survival" as base-building from what I've seen, but still might be of interest to folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKxMEHotaI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ot6diwBXc

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if anyone's taken a look at this, but Orcish Inn looks like it has potential. It's not so much "survival" as base-building from what I've seen, but still might be of interest to folks.

Looks cute and fun but "My overall goal is to get valuable feedback until Orcish Inn gets released some day in 2015." doesn't fill me with confidence..

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Bought The Long Dark in the last sale, it seems alright but it feels like I'm spending ~75% of the time going through menus and waiting for progress bars to fill up... am I playing it right?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Evil Mastermind posted:

Looks neat, but looking at the Greenlight page, there hasn't been an update in over a year and the dev is pimping out a new game instead. Pretty much vaporware.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It'll get quicker as you learn the patterns of the game and learn how to establish places to store your stuff. But yeah, there's definitely a curve and a lot of the menus take some getting used to.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Anyone played Eden Star? It seems like a pretty fun mix of base bulding, tower defense, Halo style combat and survival game. Ha, thats a lot of content stuffed into one game.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never heard anyone here talk about it, but Creativerse is a free game on Steam that's basically everything vanilla Minecraft is and much more.

I've been playing this with the kids for a good while now. Really good fun and gets regular updates too. I like the fact it doesn't try to take itself too seriously.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zoe posted:

Looks cute and fun but "My overall goal is to get valuable feedback until Orcish Inn gets released some day in 2015." doesn't fill me with confidence..

They just made a steam announcement and it's now available to wishlist on Steam. It has a 2017 release date.

quote:

Hey there and welcome to Orcish Inn's presence on Steam!

Orcish Inn is a tavern simulation game about orcs and it's in development since 2014. The in-development version of the game is available for free since the beginning of 2015 and after months of work, I just published the most recent version 0.1.1 to the public. It's available for everyone on Orcish Inn's completely re-designed official website and if you ever wanted to play a game which gives survival and crafting a proper context (namely farming crops, brewing beer and setting up your own tavern), Orcish Inn is probably the right choice for you: the new pre-alpha trailer shown here on Steam should give you some idea about how the game looks like in action.

Right now, the game can be downloaded as a standalone executable for Windows and Linux, but there's also a launcher app available which keeps Orcish Inn up-to-date. Please keep in mind that Orcish Inn is still in development and both gameplay and content are unfinished.

If you were already familiar with Orcish Inn, it's the perfect time to check it out once again. Version 0.1.0 introduced a lot of new features and visual updates, including different water types, swimming, biomes like swamps and rock deserts, high walls, roofs and wall attachments like windows, reworked farming and building, many new plant and fish types, a so-called "Book of Challenges" which is both a source of quests with rewards and a tutorial, reworked statuses (hunger/stamina), new tree types, procedural map generation and so much more!

The new Steam community hub will be home to future discussions, guides and videos. If you have questions or anything to share or contribute, free free to head over to the hub. Don't forget to wishlist Orcish Inn here on Steam, so you get notified when the game gets released (and no, there isn't any release date or price yet).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought Sheltered (http://store.steampowered.com/app/356040/) on the Steam sale. Seems alright so far. Anyone else tried it?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty keen on Escape from Tarkov. Although it looks more like a pvp type game

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought Sheltered (http://store.steampowered.com/app/356040/) on the Steam sale. Seems alright so far. Anyone else tried it?

Oh man this game pushes so many buttons for me. Post-apocalypse? RPG style management? Not made with generic Unity assets? Sign me the gently caress up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man for moment I thought you guys were talking about Shelter, a game where you play as a mother badger, which is also technically a survival simulations game. I've only played it's sequel though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Oh man this game pushes so many buttons for me. Post-apocalypse? RPG style management? Not made with generic Unity assets? Sign me the gently caress up.

I'm sure I'm just really bad at it but this game is hard. Gotta balance lots of things and I can't seem to get the resources I need, quick enough, to survive. I've only gotten up to 26 days before everyone succumbed to radiation poisoning. If everyone who is loyal enough to be sent on missions dies, you lose, even if you have a bunch of other people left over.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I have no idea how to get enough supplies to make the recycler because that seems to be the big thing. Half the poo poo I find scavenging has to be recycled first.

That said the dog is stupid overpowered. I just mug everyone I come across and the dog will take 50-70% of the enemy's health off before combat even begins.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The horse is real nice for scavenging. Reduces the water you need and lets you carry more. Need to build that stable or it'll get poisoned when you're out of meds; takes three food a day as well, unless you just send it on missions constantly.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

My strategy with Sheltered was to send everybody bar one person out scavenging all the time. Stay-at-home person does repairs and building and goes out when the first scavenger comes back. The more people you have outside gathering stuff, the better off you are. Oh, and the first thing I built is two water holders, since water is the limiting resource in the game.

I think I got to 60 days before I felt comfortable, and that's unfortunately when the game takes a steep nosedive into boring.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
My strategy for sheltered is to build a roomful of water holders and sell the surplus to trader boardcast. Literally raining money when you have enough holders.

It does get boring after 60 days.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I tried this out yesterday and couldn't play for more than a couple minutes due to the tiny draw distance. Like, I climbed a mountain and could still only see like 25 blocks in front of me. Probably just my old crappy computer, but it was really disappointing. I really want to like the game, I even know someone who works for Robot and they're a great artist :(

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've made it to day 60 with only the mom dying so far. I only have a single upgraded door and a shotgun trap though. I've been giving ten food to the guy who comes by to threaten me. Recycling takes a long time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Recycling time depends on how many things you put into it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I usually fill it up :v:

It took so drat long to get enough plastic for the cheap one, then everything snowballed after that.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the long dark is prob. the best game i've played in years.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Dyna Soar posted:

the long dark is prob. the best game i've played in years.

There are times when I forget it's there in my steam library, but whenever I load it up & get over the early hump it is all I play and/or think about until I die and get depressed that I let down survivor lady once again :smith: It's easily one of my most favorite games that I get loads of replay value from for being an early access sandbox game that came out over 2 years ago.

I've been riding the razors edge on Interloper the last couple days, dropping my condition as low as 2% while praying for a fish to hook my line as I'm stuck outside with cabin fever, no energy, no calories, and a dwindling fire in my hut. I've reached the point (around 60 days I think) I need to start hunting for wolves and bears and jesus it is nerve wracking every time I leave the coastal highway garage. For as long as I've enjoyed playing it I've never figured out how to be a good shot with the bow & arrow so I'll probably just need to cheese it with one of the fishing huts, unless bears have figured out how to get inside them :ohdear:

Tweak fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 14, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah it can be incredibly intense, something I haven't really experienced in other survival / crafting games. They're more for just loving around and trying to break the game, while the tighter gameplay and scope of TLD makes it into an intense survival experience.

I just read the roadmap & can't wait for them to add the content they're planning. I personally don't care for VR support or different seasons that much, surviving in the nuclear winter is enough for me.

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

quote:

NEAR TERM (1-6 Month Window)

Moose
Cougar
Improved Cooking; more of the cooking action happens in-game (vs. in menus); cooking happens in game-time (i.e. not accelerated time), so you can multi-task.
Frostbite affliction
Axe (tool)
Wellbeing system (i.e. mental/emotional cost of survival; “willpower locket” fits in here)
Aurora gameplay effects & hazards
Widespread narrative collectibles
Backer naming and writing rewards integrated into game world
Primitive firemaking skill (ex. bow-drill)
Improved first-person presence (low-hanging fruit)
Improved Sprains
Improved Infections
New Clothing system & all new Clothing assets
NPCs in the Sandbox
Parley system
Improved firemaking (blowing mechanic; first-person presence)
Revolver
Non-map based Navigation system
Knowledge system
Improved first-person presence (more complex interactions)
Snowshoes or Nordic skis?
Steam Trading Cards
MEDIUM TERM (6-12 Month Window)

Mod support
Spring Sandbox
Moving water
Improved Fishing
Wolfpack behaviour
Wildlife interactions (ex. Wolves vs. Bears)
Grizzly Bear
Sandbox survivor personas (characters?)
VR Experience
Crafting for safehouse customization
Crafting for clothing customization
Gunsmithing & ammunition crafting
LONG TERM (12+ Month Window // R&D)

Full-season survival Sandbox (transitioning from season to season)
New travel options: Canoe, Horse
Seamless world streaming
Long-distance travel
Planting
Sandbox AI community social dynamics

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 14, 2016

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah it can be incredibly intense, something I haven't really experienced in other survival / crafting games. They're more for just loving around and trying to break the game, while the tighter gameplay and scope of TLD makes it into an intense survival experience.

I just read the roadmap & can't wait for them to add the content they're planning. I personally don't care for VR support or different seasons that much, surviving in the nuclear winter is enough for me.

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

The full season survival sandbox, while awesome, almost sounds like a different game - or maybe something more realistically set for TLD 2. I can't imagine how intensive those changes would be.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

meatsaw posted:

The full season survival sandbox, while awesome, almost sounds like a different game - or maybe something more realistically set for TLD 2. I can't imagine how intensive those changes would be.

Simulating the spring, summer and fall would be so complex that I don't think there'll ever be a sandbox for those games, just a continuation of the storyline into different seasons. That's my guess.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 14, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The forest of FULL of food in the spring, summer and fall and honestly if they'd give a survival sandbox of different season they'd have to implement a lot of that food, not to mention ways to preserve it for the winter. And that's just the food.

Like, I'd be really dissapointed if they didn't implement at least a dozen different eatable mushrooms, where they grow as well as a bunch of poisonous ones.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i still think they just should partner with developers of Firewatch and make that TLD: Summer

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Then make a seperate one for spring and autumn individually. At the end where all four game are stable enough, merge them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Then make a seperate one for spring and autumn individually. At the end where all four game are stable enough, merge them.

This is the plan I think. Biggest reason is probably because they just can't keep milking early access forever.