Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah it'll be a cold day in hell before that's ever allowed from a regulatory perspective.

I mean, don't people read the rules before they spout off like that? (that's a rhetorical question btw :saddowns:)

E: Just did a back of the envelope calculation; assuming this 6650-metre strip of pavement is cut into two 3000-metre runways with 650 metres of buffer between, a worst-case scenario approach where one aircraft is above another will result in less than 600 feet of vertical separation between them. Ain't happening full stop.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I assume at minimum you'd never be landing on both at the same time - landing on the first half and takeoffs from the second half might sort work, until you start considering going around...

Still seems like a terrible idea, but it's been shouted up loudly in the media.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah seems like a really dumb idea.

But now I have an answer to thehustler's runway naming question. It won't be named, because it won't exist, because these guys are morons.

I'll just take my medicine if they actually build that stupid thing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh there's no chance it beats the third runway option

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Heathrow Hub would avoid bringing any significant new communities into the noise footprint.

Landing aircraft on the western runway extension during the critical early morning arrivals period would effectively move the noise footprint 2.5 miles west, reducing noise for many local communities.

“Hey people living 2.5 miles to the west: you aren’t important.”

Sincerely,

LHR

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Probably where the poors live.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Of course, past zone 6 nobody cares.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Zone 6 is jerks.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

As for the NC pilot, maybe it was Kodiak? Idk, it's late :v:

Not me. The only 2 places I've ever been based were PRC and ORD. Technically I was based in LGA for 2 days but I didn't fly a single leg so that doesn't really count.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Platystemon posted:

“Hey people living 2.5 miles to the west: you aren’t important.”

Sincerely,

LHR

Basically, it lets them say "hey eastern people, it might be quieter for you!" at the same time as saying "hey western people, we won't do this much so it won't be loud!" and fob them all off with lies.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PSA just extended its Cadet program to ERAU, effective tomorrow.

http://www.psaairlines.com/careers/cadet-program/

Called the Cadet thing three years ago, but I can't help but feel like "If you build it, they will come" isn't automatically going to draw people back to/into flying, especially since that hiring event at CMH I went to for the hell of it in the Spring had drawn 2 people before I showed up with two hours before quitting time.

e- In unrelated news, if you've ever wanted your basic UAS operator certificate, all you have to do (if you're a pilot) is pass a 107 ground school and get current on any of your ratings. So I guess I'll have that pretty soon.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 24, 2016

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Anyone care to recommend a school in northern Atlanta? I'm going to be there for a little while soon, might try flying while I'm around.

Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I did some of my training in that area with ATP.

If you're also looking for things I don't recommend.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Welp Bob Hoover died this morning.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

overdesigned posted:

Welp Bob Hoover died this morning.

A huge loss of one of the biggest studs in aviation - ever. Not an rear end in a top hat like Yeager, either.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm glad Yeager is a jerk.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The 737 carrying Mike Pence just skidded off the runway at LGA.

CROOKED HILLARY.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Seems to be an epidemic at Laguardia

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't care what anyone says, politicians are cursed when it comes to aviation! Yeah, they fly more than average, but even so it seems like they have bad luck.

And even though it's Pence, I'm glad it appears no one was injured.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
CROOKED HILLARY AND HER LIBERAL PHYSICS ARE TRYING TO STEAL THE ELECTION!

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Lagarbage lol.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rickety Cricket posted:

Seems to be an epidemic at Laguardia

LaGuardia should be fitted with arrestor cables to liven things up a bit

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

When I did a job shadowing program in high school, I observed flight followers at NetJets' ops center in Columbus. The guys let me listen in to calls between themselves and the pilots.

One time, the guy updated a Citation Captain on his upcoming schedule, which included "and then you have to go to LaGuardia". It was met with an "Aw poo poo, I hate fuckin' LGA."

E- American 767-300 on fire at ORD. Blown tire.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 28, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Live atc recording. Incident starts within the first few minutes AAL383 heavy. http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kord/KORD-Tower-Center-Oct-28-2016-1930Z.mp3

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Fedex DC10 on fire at FLL

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, aviation, let's just...how about a safety stand down, eh? Ops pause? Just take tomorrow off, everybody. Let's be back ready to work on Sunday.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just had to start a watch tag on some guy out flying around on a 1200 code because he busted a Presidential TFR.

Read your NOTAMS, guys. That dude is going to be having a lovely night. :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

Just had to start a watch tag on some guy out flying around on a 1200 code because he busted a Presidential TFR.

Read your NOTAMS, guys. That dude is going to be having a lovely night. :(

Is "starting a tag" basically saying he gets a number wherever he lands?

Back in the day we had someone at my airport call for taxi during a prez ground stop. It was basically:

:) N[x] is a mooney at [x] with information [x] ready to taxi.

:11tea: N[x], did you check notams and tfr's?

:) What?

:11tea: N[x] you aren't going anywhere, engine shut down and I have a number for you to call. Heads up, it's going to be secret service that answers.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

He is referring to assigning a label to an otherwise unlabeled radar target for the purpose of monitoring their movement until they land.

A lot of the time, we'll "tag them up" with a name like "WATCH" or "VIOL8R" or something.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
That second one is like a window decal that goes all the way across the top of the windshield of an import car, in a fuzzy font

Flewmonitored my first leg in the Barbie jet today, gonna fly tomorrow!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 29, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Back in the day we had someone at my airport call for taxi during a prez ground stop. It was basically:

:) N[x] is a mooney at [x] with information [x] ready to taxi.

:11tea: N[x], did you check notams and tfr's?

:) What?

:11tea: N[x] you aren't going anywhere, engine shut down and I have a number for you to call. Heads up, it's going to be secret service that answers.

Why wouldn't that restriction be included on the ATIS? They even include normal, run of the mill airspace restrictions here when they occur (not that I needed it, because I checked the NOTAMs).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Why wouldn't that restriction be included on the ATIS? They even include normal, run of the mill airspace restrictions here when they occur (not that I needed it, because I checked the NOTAMs).

Hey not finding active TFRs any of the places that are supposed to list TFRs is still your responsibility, PILOT.

Ignorance or poor FAA record keeping is no excuse.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah if you don't want to get violated over things you have no control over, you're better off just staying on the ground.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Everything ends up being the responsibility of the PIC but that doesn't mean ATS couldn't help out from time to time like they do in Canada. It's always safest to have as many eyes and ears on everything as possible.

Considering how busy they can get, Calgary Terminal is always very pleasant and helpful to everyone. I feel lucky!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We could do a much better job of disseminating information in the US. The systems are all so antiquated and inconsistent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I can't imagine our systems are much better north of the border, mind you. Unless we used all the money we saved not installing and maintaining VORs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hey there's nothing wrong with flying by pilotage and dead reckoning *gets lost following a river because it's loving Canada and covered in rivers*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Hey there's nothing wrong with flying by pilotage and dead reckoning *gets lost following a river because it's loving Canada and covered in rivers*

Hey now, you can also follow old-rear end rail lines and cut lines for power transmission lines. And you can occasionally pick out "towns" that are marked on the VNC and yet are composed of approximately three houses and a mailbox.

I start my night rating next week hopefully. My instructor says he doesn't see the point in just reviewing my instrument work and doing a day cross-country to get my PPL current, when we could start in on the instrument training required for a night rating and just do the cross-country at night instead (which I need to do anyway). So that's pretty cool!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I actually got delayed a few hours yesterday because the crew bringing in our airplane didn't notice the "ILS OTS" notam for an airport with 1 mile vis in the forecast. To be fair to them the notam was a single line of text buried in literally a dozen pages of warnings about deadly hazards like windmills that are actually 3' taller than marked.

Our notam system is in serious need of a re-work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Woah woah. It seems like we've gotten seriously derailed from the original idea.

Why aren't we attacking that dumbshit pilot for violating blatantly obvious flight restrictions? It's UNBELIEVABLE to me that someone could be so idiotic to not check flight restrictions before flying.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Edit:

The more I think about it, the more I hope that the secret service somehow found a way to get the FAA involved to completely revoke this CLOWNS pilots license for LIFE. This kind of disregard for authority violates 8 of the 10 hazardous attitudes for pilots. Also, I hope that the ATC that even mentioned this story has been punished for not immediately pulling out a stinger missile to destroy that douchebag in that Mooney.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 29, 2016

• Locked thread