Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

2016 iPhone can't connect to 2016 Macbook Pro without a dongle.

Dumb. Just dumb.

And why is the trackpad so loving huge? I never once said "man I wish the trackpad was bigger"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol it's like the BGR comments section in here!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Housh posted:

2016 iPhone can't connect to 2016 Macbook Pro without a dongle.

Wait, the USB-C to Lightning cable doesn't work?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wait, the USB-C to Lightning cable doesn't work?

The iPhone comes with this weird USB cable that only works with peecee's

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ChocNitty posted:

Steve Jobs would be dismayed at how Apple is fragmenting the macbook product line for a gimmicky touch bar, and for adding another model confusingly just called "Macbook" and the fact that they're ignoring what was their hit laptop model, as well as increasing the cost of entry, during a time when sales are slumping.

Considering Steve introduced the MacBook air at a time when the macbook and MBP were the dominant lines, I think you're underestimating his willingness to have the lines transition from one to another. Clearly the opposite direction is happening now. The first two generations of MBA was also really underpowered once you let throttling kick in apparently.

What *is* confusing is why the 2015 models are all still purchaseable…

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MrBond posted:

What *is* confusing is why the 2015 models are all still purchaseable…

**created new value against new products**

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 28, 2016

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I'm not all that sure the price is that bad compared to the previous models. Looking at the Wayback Machine, I can compare between the $2000 old model, and the $2400 new one. For that $400, we get .4GHz of CPU clock, and discrete graphics. Plus the touch bar of course.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

The iPhone comes with this weird USB cable that only works with peecee's

So the USB-C to lightning cable does in fact work then? Ok so the previous post was completely full of poo poo.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

So the USB-C to lightning cable does in fact work then? Ok so the previous post was completely full of poo poo.
I was poking fun that you need to buy another cable but I guess we went through this when the new MacBooks came out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to when the iMac dumped floppy drives.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Housh posted:

I was poking fun that you need to buy another cable but I guess we went through this when the new MacBooks came out.

Oh I thought you were poking fun that anyone ever plugs their phone into their computers anymore.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Oh I thought you were poking fun that anyone ever plugs their phone into their computers anymore.

The only lighting cables I have are plugged into wall-warts next to my bed and in the TV room right now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I do it to copy say 20gb of music to my phone or copy videos to my computer. And I charge my phone using my computer at work if I forgot to plug it in overnight

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So, uh, how about that Dell XPS Developer Edition

FCKGW posted:

I do when I want to connection tether. The USB connection seems faster, definitely more stable, and obviously doesn't drain the phone battery.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still love my 13" 2012 MBA and it's still going strong. I believe I paid $999 for it on sale at Fry's in June 2012........I have no idea what is going to replace it when I kick it up to my Pops to play around with......maybe a 2015 MBPR but certainly not any of this new poo poo, meh.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 28, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Apple, making people pissed about ports since...... forever?????

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ONE Old style thunderbolt and one old style USB port would shut me and most of everyone else up

The price hike is stupid too

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Am I going to miss out on anything critical hardware wise (processor, etc) by foregoing the newest rMBPs and going with a decked out 2015 15" rMBP? Assuming I'll use it for the next three-four years.

I'd like to believe that a 15" sans toolbar will come out next year but a 2015 i7/16GB/512GB refurb will be even a bit cheaper than an entry 2017 15" I'm thinking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

any bets on a revised MacBook getting a second USB C port?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

Am I going to miss out on anything critical hardware wise (processor, etc) by foregoing the newest rMBPs and going with a decked out 2015 15" rMBP

"Up to 130% faster graphics performance"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Belkin Wasted no time announcing another vaporware Thunderbolt 3 dock that won't come out for two years and probably cost $399 and have a ton of bugs

http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U095/p/P...tradius&irgwc=1

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Idunno. Realtalk, I think the ports thing is overrated. It's nice to see them basically say, "shut the gently caress up and deal with Tbolt3/USB-C. It's the future. We're not keeping old versions of ports around because you refuse to buy new cables." The loss of the SD card reader sucks, but they're cheap as hell and it's not like 99% of people need to have one attached to their machine all day every day. I get that they sacrificed it to make room for…something…thinner…whatever.

I'm also starting to come around to the idea of the touch bar a tiny bit. For most users, the function keys are useless for anything but adjusting volume, brightness, or dealing with music. Even when you do press a function key, it usually still requires taking your eyes off the display — I don't know how many of you can hit F6 without peeking. So I "get it." Apple's logic here is probably additive. You were always going to have to look down to touch anything in that row with or without keys, so why not make it a modifiable row? As a vim user, the loss of the escape key does suck particularly hard, but I'm guessing they tried leaving it and thought having a single button up there was dumb. The more I think about it, the more I feel like this is a well-intentioned gamble rather than a purely poo poo decision.

I'm having trouble putting my finger on it exactly, but what makes me a little grumpy is the overall value Apple seem to be presenting here. Maybe it also has to do with their portrayal of the new MBPs as "revolutionary" when they're clearly iterative. I configured a top-of-the-line 13" w/ the i7 processor and 16GB of memory, no added disk, and it came in at $2499. That just feels like too much even for Apple. An XPS with the same base specs clocks in around $1800 (if I'm doing the configuring right). Certainly Apple's build quality is better, and OS X is the best consumer OS available for the moment. But is Apple's premium experience worth almost $700 more?

That's the thing that disappoints me about today's event.

I'm unironically pretty stoked about AppleTVTV though.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 28, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Which Intel chip is included in the new models? Is it really Skylake or earlier?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Certainly Apple's build quality is better, and OS X is the best consumer OS available for the moment. But is Apple's premium experience worth almost $700 more?

probs, yea

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tab8715 posted:

Which Intel chip is included in the new models? Is it really Skylake or earlier?

"Sixth generation" according to the buy page, so yes, Skylake.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 28, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Ars says it's Skylake. Kaby Lake isn't coming out until Jan for mobile, which is why Apple is using these.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

In reality the PC laptops had closed in on Mac pricing so they're just adding the premium back in

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Keyser S0ze posted:

I still love my 13" 2012 MBA and it's still going strong. I believe I paid $999 for it on sale at Fry's in June 2012........I have no idea what is going to replace it when I kick it up to my Pops to play around with......maybe a 2015 MBPR but certainly not any of this new poo poo, meh.

I'm a 11" air diehard fan (2012 bros high five), and only today I discovered that they killed it in favor of the underpowered as gently caress Macbook. I'll hold on to it until the macbook gets a non poo poo version with an i7 processor.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

tirinal posted:

For all the bitching, cost difference between the 13" XPS and a comparable 13" MBP with education pricing is ~$350. Even ignoring the new toolbar completely, OSX, trackpad and build quality are probably worth that much to the average Apple user. There's a gap, obviously, but it doesn't seem historically abnormal.

I went ahead and placed an order for the baseline 15". My only real complaints are that the memory configs are bullshit and also the port discrepancies between MBP and iPhone are triggering my OCD.

E: shipping estimates on the store slipped to 3-4 weeks for the toolbar models.

Isn't the XPS shipping with Kaby Lake right now as opposed to the MBP which is still on Skylake?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The port selection is actually a plus for me because USB-C is the future and it's important to not go full-Macbook and just have one.

It also allows me to share chargers with my 6P and any future USB-C devices. However I am laughing heartily at the fact that iPhones will be stuck with the money-printing lightning port and will create this awkward difference between two different product lines from the same company.

Viper_3000 posted:

Isn't the XPS shipping with Kaby Lake right now as opposed to the MBP which is still on Skylake?

Yes but it's a dual core chip and Apple wants those sweet quad-cores yo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Isn't mixing certain USB C chargers with certain USB C cables potentially dangerous?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

logikv9 posted:

Yes but it's a dual core chip and Apple wants those sweet quad-cores yo

Ah, you're right. Still though the Dell looks like a value.

What the gently caress do I know. I just bought a used mid-2015 15" on discount though.

Also everyone needs to grow up about the ports. USB C is your new overlord and Apple has always been eager with the ax when it comes to ports. That's the only decision I'll defend from today's announcement. Touchbar and the new pricing can go to hell.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't mixing certain USB C chargers with certain USB C cables potentially dangerous?

There are some cable issues that I heard about that would "remember" the current the last time they were used and throw that current at the next device regardless of whether or not it could handle it. I don't know what came out of that but I don't think it's risky as long as you get the proper cables / chargers, but that's the same with any port.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, cheap ones don't have the proper resistors/wiring to protect your devices. Basically the cable is supposed to negotiate the power draw between the device and the charger, but if the wire isn't constructed properly the device will try and pull to much power and burn out a USB-C port/possibly fry the device. There's a google engineer who reviews them and the results are accumulated here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Morales posted:

I do it to copy say 20gb of music to my phone or copy videos to my computer.

You can sync via Wifi if the iPhone is plugged in?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

why did you post a picture of your battery?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Heh, 2012 buddy.

I think a lot of us are in an awkward position, so I am in the run this laptop into the ground mindset. Unibody MBP are tanks and really the i7 in this is still adequate for anything I am doing. Also I know for a fact that USB-C would cut the lifespan of my computer down at least a year. I have kicked the cord out of this computer so many times, it is almost embarassing.

FCKGW posted:

why did you post a picture of your battery?

If you have to ask...

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 28, 2016

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Dangerllama posted:

Idunno. Realtalk, I think the ports thing is overrated. It's nice to see them basically say, "shut the gently caress up and deal with Tbolt3/USB-C. It's the future. We're not keeping old versions of ports around because you refuse to buy new cables." The loss of the SD card reader sucks, but they're cheap as hell and it's not like 99% of people need to have one attached to their machine all day every day. I get that they sacrificed it to make room for…something…thinner…whatever.

If you did anything with audio or video you'd feel otherwise, but I get this standpoint if you're buying a MBP as a dev machine. Still, it's disappointing because Macs were traditionally an audio/video pro's first choice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

computer parts posted:

You can sync via Wifi if the iPhone is plugged in?

That has never worked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Viper_3000 posted:

Also everyone needs to grow up about the ports. USB C is your new overlord and Apple has always been eager with the ax when it comes to ports. That's the only decision I'll defend from today's announcement. Touchbar and the new pricing can go to hell.

Yea okay. But as long as we are removing old out dated ports lets also remove the loving audio jack then too and replace it with a lightning port.
So I can at least use the same loving headphones between my iPhone and Macbook.

To me THAT stands out as the most stupid decision of todays announcement.