Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Movie toys!

Morpher!

Power Sword!

T-Rex Zord!

The morpher actually looks boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Whoa, hello first zord reveal.

A lot less upright. More Gabutyra inspired?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's kinda alright. I was deffo expecting it to be worse. Will have to see how it actually looks in the movie tho.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it looks like a bad fan-made rider belt design

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You know how sometimes you see a mecha and it's just a good rear end design and iconic as gently caress and other times you see one and it's just generic uninteresting bullshit? yeah that's the second one right there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just

Why would you gently caress with the upright design

So what it's not realistic it's a giant goddamn alien robot t-Rex who gives a poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
because the upright design is a throwback to a completely different visual style that wouldn't work with a modern hollywood movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

because the upright design is a throwback to a completely different visual style that wouldn't work with a modern hollywood movie

Considering how popular Godzilla is still proving to be, and the fact that it was a throwback when it was made, I disagree entirely.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Don't really care about upright or not
Toy doesn't really have presence or ferocity, kind of looks like a worm since its face is not defined.
Like maybe the things the mooks made when they grew in Kyoruger.

Compare to another recent live action T-rex:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The design for the new MMPR movie strikes me as pretty weak. Lacking the big bold shapes and confidence that scream yes, this is a toy for children, let's market the poo poo out of this.

It's like something an art student mocked up after watching the abysmal Green Lantern movie.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Movie toys!

Morpher!

They look like lovely knock offs of the OOOs coins.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They look like lovely knock offs of the OOOs coins.

I was going to make a jingle joke but then I realized you could actually make PuToTyra.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burkion posted:

I just

Why would you gently caress with the upright design

So what it's not realistic it's a giant goddamn alien robot t-Rex who gives a poo poo

Maybe it's to differentiate it from the inevitable sequel Dragonzord

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
those power coins look like cookies to me

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm kind of surprised there even are toys, since that implies this thing is looking for children in the audience; when all the footage of it seems that Lionsgate decided that the Hunger Games Fan Club that their releases has targeted in the past few years had toys back when they were children.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All my optimism about it at least being entertainingly bad has been falling apart more and more with every reveal. This movie is going to be boring as hell, and it's going to kill any chance we're going to get a good Power Rangers movie pretty much forever. It feels like they're ashamed of the source material.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Craptacular! posted:

I'm kind of surprised there even are toys, since that implies this thing is looking for children in the audience;

Tell that to RoboCop, Terminator, Alien, Rambo, etc

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the t-rex looks like it got put in the oven for a couple hours

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

mikeycp posted:

the t-rex looks like it got put in the oven for a couple hours

It doesn't seem to have eyes and it's really weirding me out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Poison Mushroom posted:

It feels like they're ashamed of the source material.

I mean, yeah? The show has had a few moments of acceptable TV storytelling (Astronema, Time Force, certain parts of Lost Galaxy) but they were never the most successful parts of it's history. The most popular, money-making episodes were corny as hell.

The episodes of the show they're trying to adapt are the episodes that have the principal's hairpiece, Bulk and Skull getting pantsed on a daily basis, and the lady screaming about her headache. Episodes like "Kimberly's father is drugged while flying a plane" or "Squatt and Babboo kidnap a cheerleader and then get sick of her constant cheering" don't make great movies. The best you can hope for is some kind of Metal Gear style deconstruction where the story is taken as some sort of grim action tale that keeps diving into lunacy. And that's really, really hard to do.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 29, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

The episodes of the show they're trying to adapt are the episodes that have the principal's hairpiece, Bulk and Skull getting pantsed on a daily basis, and the lady screaming about her headache. Episodes like "Kimberly's father is drugged while flying a plane" or "Squatt and Babboo kidnap a cheerleader and then get sick of her constant cheering" don't make great movies.

Says you. I'd be loving down for that.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i think it's possible to be faithful to the source material without making something completely terrible or campy. i think people just don't see "anything" that resembles or harkens back to MMPR in this new movie at all

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing that I don't get is that there's no law saying they had to use any single element of MMPR/Zyuranger. It's just called "Power Rangers" and all Power Rangers is is five weirdos putting on brightly colored costumes in unorthodox ways, who fight monsters, and then do it again using a giant robot. They could've done any motif they wanted to, they could've even created something 100% from scratch which would've been really interesting...

But they went with the trappings of MMPR because they're too scared to be original, but too ashamed of the original to show it anything more than superficial reverence. Or alternately, they want to tap into name brand recognition, but think that the name brand is stupid and that it'd be way cooler if it had a stronger resemblance to that Green Lantern movie or something.

Hell if they wanted to crank up the YA melodrama dial so badly maybe they should've taken their inspiration from Jetman instead :v:

Craptacular! posted:

The best you can hope for is some kind of Metal Gear style deconstruction where the story is taken as some sort of grim action tale that keeps diving into lunacy. And that's really, really hard to do.

Why not just like... a good kids movie? Something like Spy Kids, only it's Power Rangers instead?

I mean, that's what the shows are, at their strongest. More Incredibles or How To Train Your Dragon and less Hunger Games or [insert generic under-performing teen-marketed movie here].

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 29, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Earnestness is bad. Detached indifference is what's in.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Considering how popular Godzilla is still proving to be, and the fact that it was a throwback when it was made, I disagree entirely.

The last Hollywood godzilla movie a) was trash and b) did not feature totally upright Godzilla and c) Godzilla wasn't even the focal point of that movie

Modern Hollywood movies are not going to adhere to your old man toku purity dude accept it and move on

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

spider-man meets breakfast club isn't even a bad premise for power rangers but both of those things seem more fun than this movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The last Hollywood godzilla movie a) was trash and b) did not feature totally upright Godzilla and c) Godzilla wasn't even the focal point of that movie

Better be talking about 98 Zilla or we're gonna have a problem.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The good things about the 201X godzilla movie were the 5 minutes an actually good actor was in it and the 1 really big Godzilla roar was so powerful and loud it vibrated my seat in the theater and got me a little excited,

The bad things about the 201X godzilla movie was that the other monster was super loving boring and dumb, the plot was centered around boring White Military Good Guy Shoot Man, the dialogue and secondary cast being what I had to assume stock script parts from some story writing software, and the rewritten Godzilla origin.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 30, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

and the rewritten Godzilla origin.

Okay so I'm going to let the rest of this slide because I acknowledge not everyone is going to get into 2014 Godzilla

But seriously man? This is some Zen Master level bullshit right here. (I'm also not sure why you're doing the 201X thing, since there are only two 201X Godzilla movies so far, and you are very clearly only talking about one of them)

2014 Ziller has pretty much the same origin as the original. The only divergence is that the original was enraged by atomic blasts, while 2014 ignored them.

Now, I could see the point of being annoyed by this, but the movie then double downs on Atomic Weapons Are Bad pretty heavily. And all of the actual real world bad things that happened because of those nukes still happened, they just also failed to do anything against the new in universe reason they were deployed. Otherwise, both are ancient monsters of the prehistoric era that have survived by some means into the modern day.

Or did you really want Godzilla to be a dinosaur that helped fight off Stephen Speilberg's platoon with a Japanese army in WWII before being grabbed by time travelers, thrown into the ocean, having a nuclear sub crash into it and mutate it into Godzilla proper and then never explain how this was how the time line always worked and instead make it even more inexplicably convoluted then it really was? Because I can feel that.

Unless you're talking about something else entirely, but if that's the case you need to be a bit clearer.

Like the time Godzilla came to shore because the spirits of the dead WWII soldiers that weren't Japanese (or I presume other Axis powers) possessed him but they never actually clarify that either and make it sound really confusing when it's a fairly decent "ADMIT THAT SOME OF THE STUFF YOU DID IN WWII WAS loving TERRIBLE YOU ASSHOLES" message wrapped up in a kind of plain and cheap looking package

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/YongouOYander/status/792091661719310336

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

Okay so I'm going to let the rest of this slide because I acknowledge not everyone is going to get into 2014 Godzilla

But seriously man? This is some Zen Master level bullshit right here. (I'm also not sure why you're doing the 201X thing, since there are only two 201X Godzilla movies so far, and you are very clearly only talking about one of them)

So I wrote 201X because I forgot the exact year the american film came out and because I was on my phone at the time so I couldn't be bothered to google it.

Second my complaint about the new origin poo poo in the 2014 movie wasn't that they made up some new poo poo, I know they've done it a lot before and some of them a way dumber but also cooler than the original. My complaint with it that it's just super dumb in a way I don't find fun or interesting. It's trying its best to sound scientific and sensible with all the talk of ancient Super Fauna but the facts of the films make that really laughable. The two bug monsters lay a hundred eggs. By the second or generation those things would have blotted out the sun, but these things use to freely roam the earth? And I know that sounds like a dumb complaint, but when the movie itself is going out of its way to try and make it sound plausible I, as an audience member, have to think about it and it's just at lot stupider to me personally than just going "Yeah a radioactive test mutated him and he's big." or "Yeah whatever time travel and magic did it."

I'll admit this is probably fueled by the fact that it's a Hollywood movie with English actors and writers so I don't have the buffer of another language or just the age of the film to detract from the stupidity of it, but somewhere between 'Brian Cranston wants answers' and 'White McSoldierman allegedly feels emotions.' the rest of it just kind of lost me.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 30, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Now see, THAT is a reasonable thing to complain about.

Just complaining about Godzilla's origin alone, SPECIFICALLY, is silly. Complaining about how the MUTOs fit into it, that's a whole other thing. Sure, ancient super fauna that's fine, whatever. Ancient super fauna that couldn't have possibly existed at any point in history without causing an extinction event by their very being is another matter

The rest is, again, stuff I give a pass on. I accept what the movie was going for, and am generally a fan of how it went. It's a movie I appreciate more than I full out enjoy, but yeah.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This week the Zyuohgers fought and killed a monster that was literally just Carnival Mode from Kyoryuger.

I love Zyuohger, guys.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there a thing in that movie where they said nuclear weapons were only developed to begin with as an attempt to kill Godzilla? That's kind of hilarious/rad so I didn't hate that part.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Wasn't there a thing in that movie where they said nuclear weapons were only developed to begin with as an attempt to kill Godzilla? That's kind of hilarious/rad so I didn't hate that part.

Nah, nothing that ridiculous.

Just that the Bikini Atoll testing, and other Pacific Ocean atomic testing of the mid to early 1950s, was in reality an attempt to kill Godzilla.

Which is a different kind of ridiculous

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Nah, nothing that ridiculous.

Just that the Bikini Atoll testing, and other Pacific Ocean atomic testing of the mid to early 1950s, was in reality an attempt to kill Godzilla.

Which is a different kind of ridiculous

drat it, once again I've poorly remembered a movie in such a way that it seemed cooler in my head than in reality. Like how I mis-remembered that arcade scene in Tron legacy actually involving the dude playing the game and getting a high score while Separate Ways played.

While I'm thinking of offtopic movie scene letdowns that Red Faction movie nobody but me watched REALLY should have involved Space rear end in a top hat manually detonating the bomb with a hammer, what the gently caress what a missed opportunity.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hot Zord upskirts.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So people have been getting their copies of Shout Factory's Ohranger DVDs, and...

https://twitter.com/DaSchnoz/status/792930217484492801
https://twitter.com/DaSchnoz/status/792939624972836865

They just used and slightly edited MFC's subs for the show. :v:

Obviously, this is a sticky territory here, but it's still kind of lovely of them to do.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/MegaAnon/status/792933517248360452

Vandar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Speaking of MFC, Gavan's finished!

• Locked thread