Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have passed 10 interviews at this point, and they're finally having me fill out a paper application. I absolutely need this job as I am kind of in dire straits financially but I still want to get the most out of negotiation for salary and stuff. How do I navigate from this point without boning myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

signalnoise posted:

I have passed 10 interviews at this point, and they're finally having me fill out a paper application. I absolutely need this job as I am kind of in dire straits financially but I still want to get the most out of negotiation for salary and stuff. How do I navigate from this point without boning myself?

Don't let them know this. Hang in there like everything is fine. Make your just say yes number lower might be one idea, I wouldn't hardball.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I have bachelors degree in accounting. I just want a job that means I'm not living paycheck to paycheck with a reasonable standard of living. I don't particularly care about accounting but after working lots of random retail stuff in my early 20's I went back to school with the goal of finding a reasonable job and accounting seemed a safe way to achieve the goal of finding stable work. I went to class and I did my schoolwork did a sort of internship but I know gently caress all about actual accounting work, I couldn't go into an accounting office and provide anymore help or input than the average dude without a degree.

Interpreting involves no skills aside from "speak another language" and non-bilingual persons vastly overestimate the value of that skill set. Some 25% of the country is bilingual, and that's average, in places like where I live it's significantly higher. It's like typing or being Microsoft Office proficient, it has some utility but its not opening any doors.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like I'm mentally deficient. I'm pretty confident I can do the average entry-ish level job. I did fine in school and at my previous jobs. I just can't get in the door and after a year its clear my resume is a big problem.

You have a loving bachelors degree in accounting and you can't figure our how to make a livable wage? Is it from ITT Tech or some poo poo? Go get some PT actuarial/finance/accounting gig on craigslist where you're basically an overpaid secretary "who does the books" for some small A/C repair company. It'll come back to you. Read a text book or watch some webinars on whatever the companies need. If they say you need "quickbooks experience" torrent that poo poo and watch every video on it.

As far as the resume we can't really help with your resume without you posting it.

..I'm half sorry to be such a dick and half mad for you not leaving what world you must live in where you can't get started with a highly desirable degree. My relatively small craigslist area has 24 accounting jobs like I just described. They probably don't pay great but they're a start until you move to something better or educate yourself better. Indeed has tons at more professional companies which you should also apply to.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Anyone have experience interviewing with Microsoft? I have an in person first round a week from now and after my last interviewing fiasco (see the negotiations thread), I really wanna wow them as best as I possibly can.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

You have a loving bachelors degree in accounting and you can't figure our how to make a livable wage? Is it from ITT Tech or some poo poo?

Nah, I went to a small but proper accredited, non-scam University.

CarForumPoster posted:

As far as the resume we can't really help with your resume without you posting it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AVqOjl41b3qcsHZ-ZoypNIImGdOkgNLIPSBf1GtZKlY/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if this link works. A recent edit of my Resume I used to try an entry level gig as an auditor (that's why I included the academic project)

CarForumPoster posted:

..I'm half sorry to be such a dick and half mad for you not leaving what world you must live in where you can't get started with a highly desirable degree. My relatively small craigslist area has 24 accounting jobs like I just described. They probably don't pay great but they're a start until you move to something better or educate yourself better. Indeed has tons at more professional companies which you should also apply to.

Doesn't bother me dude, I've been at it for over a year and I can't get going so I'm aware I'm doing something wrong. There are lots of similar jobs in my area and I've applied to a lot of them but I can't seem to get any traction. I've lost count of how many I've applied to but I figured it was a numbers game so these days I still try to at least apply to one job a day, I alternate between stuff in Accounting I find on craigslist or other job search sites and entry level stuff on USAJOBS.gov (Since I live in the DC Metro area)

Any input on the resume would be appreciated.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 20, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ciprian Maricon posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AVqOjl41b3qcsHZ-ZoypNIImGdOkgNLIPSBf1GtZKlY/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if this link works. A recent edit of my Resume I used to try an entry level gig as an auditor (that's why I included the academic project)

Doesn't bother me dude, I've been at it for over a year and I can't get going so I'm aware I'm doing something wrong. There are lots of similar jobs in my area and I've applied to a lot of them but I can't seem to get any traction. I've lost count of how many I've applied to but I figured it was a numbers game so these days I still try to at least apply to one job a day, I alternate between stuff in Accounting I find on craigslist or other job search sites and entry level stuff on USAJOBS.gov (Since I live in the DC Metro area)

Any input on the resume would be appreciated.

It's been a couple years since I was really into polishing resumes so I may have forgotten some but doesn't stick out as bad to me. You say what you did/achieved. It's 1 page as it should be. Hopefully other goons can jump in with some tips.

So you've applied to everything nearby on indeed, craigslist and USAJOBS...

Maybe share a job posting and how you responded to it? You should have no problem getting a crappy entry level gig...especially if you've been trying for going on 2 years.

Also, how is your linkedin? >500 connections and talked to lots of recruiters?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sure. Here's something I just applied to no less than 15 minutes ago.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/fairfaxcounty/default.cfm?action=jobbulletin&JobID=1559069

As far as how I responded I'm not sure what you mean, I mean I just filled out the application as necessary and answered questions honestly. That's kind of what I do, send my resume fill out whatever forms online the company needs and then move on to apply at the next place.

I haven't applied to EVERY SINGLE THING EVER but I think I've made a reasonable effort to find something. I went pretty hard at first spending hours and hours filling out applications but not getting anywhere took a lot out of me and just left me really miserable. I try to balance not driving myself insane and not doing anything by applying to at least one thing every day. Could be I'm not going ham enough I guess.

I'm not on LinkedIn, but I'm also not on any sort of SocialNetwork. Is it that necessary? It will be pretty weird if a lovely social network listing of all my McJobs is the one thing dragging me down.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Yea I've been there before, most in this thread probably have. It is extremely frustrating. I meant how you responded like when you send a craigslist/indeed place an email whats your elevator speech in email form?

I personally hate USAJOBS as a useless hole to throw resumes in but then again I used to tell people despite (literally) 100s of applications online I'd never gotten a serious interview from a cold application online.

...until I did and that's how I have my current job which I love.

I'd say step up the tempo of applications and try not to take it personally...the best you can. Sorry for being a dick this is a legitamately frustrating thing. You'll get there. What was your GPA? No GPA on a resume for a new grad is an instant red flag but if it is less than 3.0 better to leave it off IMO.

EDIT: I am a HUGE proponent of LinkedIn. I got my first job out of college on LinkedIn. A high paying job at a prestigious company in the tech industry. (Which I quickly hated...but I still got it!)

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 20, 2016

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'll be honest my elevator speech is basically "Here's my resume, I'm hungry for good work, Please consider me"

I can certainly up the tempo more. There's a middle ground between filling applications until crazy and doing only one a day.

One of the most annoying things for me personally is the contradictory information. For example I was specifically told, by multiple people that including my GPA (3.2 btw so like fine but not worth bragging about IMO) was anything between "unnecessary" to "tacky" and you're the first person I know who has anything positive to say about LinkedIn (I know LinkedIn use differs massively from generation to generation)

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 20, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'll be honest my elevator speech is basically "Here's my resume, I'm hungry for good work, Please consider me"

I can certainly up the tempo more. There's a middle ground between filling applications until crazy and doing only one a day.

One of the most annoying things for me personally is the contradictory information. For example I was specifically told, by multiple people that including my GPA (3.2 btw so like fine but not worth bragging about IMO) was anything between "unnecessary" to "tacky" and you're the first person I know who has anything positive to say about LinkedIn (I know LinkedIn use differs massively from generation to generation)

When I was desparate to leave my tech job I was doing upwards of 10/day. If you're struggling for cash and out of work, your new job is now finding work.

LinkedIn, for one, is a place with more jobs to apply to. Here's a whole thread of people who (mostly) like LinkedIn: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531540

I'll let other goons chime in on the GPA thing. When I see a new grad and no GPA I think less than a 3.0.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Don't put your GPA unless it's 3.0 or higher.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

I'll let other goons chime in on the GPA thing. When I see a new grad and no GPA I think less than a 3.0.

I really think this is a tech field thing because loving nerds love their numbers.

I've worked numerous jobs at several different levels in Supply Chain for almost 15 years, changing jobs multiple times, and no one has ever given a rat's fart about what grade I got in European History Since 1789 or whatever.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

I've worked .... for almost 15 years
So yeah, you missed the key phrase "new grad"

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
You haven't held employment since May 2015? What have you been doing? That's a clear red flag. The other is no LinkedIn. This is the internet age and LinkedIn is essential unless you have a skill that gives you a gently caress-off level of job security. LI isn't only about getting jobs and networking with other like professionals, but the simple fact is that when you hire someone without a ton of experience, aka hire them from their degree, you want some reassurance that you're making the right call. You don't have enough of a resume so you need to rely on other factors to ice the deal, and that's where LinkedIn comes in. Even Facebook can help you. I constantly check FB to see if I know anyone my interviewees know. If you're a hard worker and truly want/need/deserve a chance and you're putting yourself out there, someone WILL eventually know someone you know and call them to make sure you're a good dude and give you a chance. But if you hide in your little social hole in TYOOL 2016, everyone just assumes you're an awkward shut-in and you go year after year not adding to your resume. Get up, get out (on social media too), get some!

Sorry for the rant, but I have a little brother (well he's 30) who is constantly blaming everyone else (aka the man) for his lack of success even though he's a not ugly white guy with 2 master's degrees. He literally IS the man, reeking of middle class privilege, yet he can't figure out how to exist in this world. You have a desirable degree and you live in a major metropolitan area. You (seem to) have no excuse. Get out there and do something about it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Im glad I am not the only one who felt the need to yell at Ciprian Maricon while also feeling kinda bad for doing so. Fuckin get on it.

By the way I applied to/contacted recruiters for/sent emails regarding 183 jobs in 3 months when I was desparate after/during leaving my tech industry job. I had 9 interviews including phone and in person. Now keep in mind several of those were "apply through Indeed/LinkedIn/Automated Process" to stuff I was meh qualified for and meh wanted.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What is a good way to describe "on and off" experience of a certain skill? Say I want to say I have been programming in Javascript for X years, but not continuously throughout those years,only using it for like,a few months every now and then?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Having a LinkedIn account is a critical part of being a normal white collar these days. Even if you don't do poo poo with it, make sure it's accurate, up-to-date, and includes a good picture of you.

You're an accountant - can't you volunteer for some non-profit in need of accounting help?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Followup on the salary question-

The recruiter I'm talking to is saying I should be asking for 15k more than I was going to, and settling on 10k more than I was going to. Personally I'm kind of elated but if this backfires on me how do I salvage it during the negotiation?

Also what's a good gift for a recruiter in case this all works out and I have a job next week? I'm serious because this guy has basically pulled me from the edge of ruin completely out of the blue.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Followup on the salary question-

The recruiter I'm talking to is saying I should be asking for 15k more than I was going to, and settling on 10k more than I was going to. Personally I'm kind of elated but if this backfires on me how do I salvage it during the negotiation?

Also what's a good gift for a recruiter in case this all works out and I have a job next week? I'm serious because this guy has basically pulled me from the edge of ruin completely out of the blue.

Is the recruiter a third party? Or is it a recruiter for the company you want to work for?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

vyst posted:

Is the recruiter a third party? Or is it a recruiter for the company you want to work for?

Third party. He's a trusted friend of the hiring manager that runs his own recruiting firm. I actually just had a phone call with him also where I learned that I was one of 5 people recommended to the company I'm applying to, and out of those 5, I'm the only one that got through the interviews anyway. So I'm the one person who will be getting to the salary negotiation before they have to do another search.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If it backfires on you, then you dodged a bullet. Think about it, if a company isn't even willing to say no then what do you think they'll do for raises and promotions.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

asur posted:

If it backfires on you, then you dodged a bullet. Think about it, if a company isn't even willing to say no then what do you think they'll do for raises and promotions.

True, thanks for this

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

asur posted:

There is one circumstance where this can bite you without it necessarily being a red flag about the company or hiring manager. That's where the company has you and another candidate in consideration, and you're making plays that delay a decision while the other candidate isn't. Assuming relatively even footing, the company generally won't risk losing the second candidate to another offer while they haggle with you to a number you may or may not accept.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

There is one circumstance where this can bite you without it necessarily being a red flag about the company or hiring manager. That's where the company has you and another candidate in consideration, and you're making plays that delay a decision while the other candidate isn't. Assuming relatively even footing, the company generally won't risk losing the second candidate to another offer while they haggle with you to a number you may or may not accept.

How do they know the other candidate isn't going to also negotiate? If a company is making two offers for the same position that's not a company I want to work for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Doesn't apply to me, thankfully. I'm the only one left after interviews that they even want to talk to.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

asur posted:

How do they know the other candidate isn't going to also negotiate? If a company is making two offers for the same position that's not a company I want to work for.

Game theory ITT

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There's a job listing on a recruiter's site that I'm really excited about and hopefully very qualified for. I was able to use the given info to track down the company and locate the same exact description on their company site. My initial instinct is to apply to both the recruiter and the company site and hope this makes it twice as likely someone reads my resume.

Is there any reason why this is a bad idea?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

asur posted:

Sounds like you've settled it then!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just did my negotiation- Got the job at 5k more than I would have accepted, was expecting 10k more but gently caress it, I'll take it. Thanks for the confidence boosters, I was going to just accept the first offer!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I completed a course that will allow me to sell Mutual Funds, but I have not yet been licensed. They don't want to start the licensing process until 2017. Apparently this is normal in my industry, because every licensed rep gets wealth targets, and they don't want to give me unobtainable targets in October. Also my branch would then be even further from meeting its targets, so there's that. However it makes me want a new job.

I want it on my resume because it is important. The actual licensing thing is a formality. It's passing the course that they care about. How would I go about putting that on my resume?

I'm sure one of you goons has a similar situation. Do you stick it under education like it's a designation, even though it isn't?

Jewdicator
Oct 22, 2006
Has anyone used Mentat for resume rewrites/career counselling? Is it any good?

EDIT: From the looks of it, it only goes to indeed and scrapes listings off of that and then sells them back to you with a fancy interface. One click job apps would seem like a good deal, but you are limited to 20 one click apps per month.

Jewdicator fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 26, 2016

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Sorry I'm going to vent a little.

I just had 2 technical interviews where I said I could answer the questions in C++ and both of the interviewers said "Ok, let's do an example in C". I'm not sure if they were aware there was a difference but I've been using C++ and living in the modern world with interfaces and proper objects and running water not using memcpy to move bits and packing unions like it's loving 1978.

Tip for software people: unless you use specifically low level C, do coding questions in python or something. Or at least learn Java syntax if you do application programming and tell them you know that instead of C++.

Jesus

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did you have "C/C++" on your resume?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
.......yes.

There isn't a big enough facepalm to express myself right now........

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

And that's why you don't put "C/C++" on a resume.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Hoist by my own petard :negative:

Et tu, me????

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Recruiters are worthless scum. I reached out to several of them and they tried to find me a job for a week or two and then promptly gave up. Some of them just plain old won't respond even to follow ups. If I wasn't desperate for a job I wouldn't care.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

momtartin posted:

Recruiters are worthless scum. I reached out to several of them and they tried to find me a job for a week or two and then promptly gave up. Some of them just plain old won't respond even to follow ups. If I wasn't desperate for a job I wouldn't care.

The quicker you learn that you are not a person but cattle to recruiters the better you'll feel at a lack of a response.

Unless they can find someone to buy you at auction, you don't exist.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

I completed a course that will allow me to sell Mutual Funds, but I have not yet been licensed. They don't want to start the licensing process until 2017. Apparently this is normal in my industry, because every licensed rep gets wealth targets, and they don't want to give me unobtainable targets in October. Also my branch would then be even further from meeting its targets, so there's that. However it makes me want a new job.

I want it on my resume because it is important. The actual licensing thing is a formality. It's passing the course that they care about. How would I go about putting that on my resume?

I'm sure one of you goons has a similar situation. Do you stick it under education like it's a designation, even though it isn't?

Are you talking about the Series 6 or something? Have you passed the exam? It's not the CFA, you can't list yourself as a candidate. You're either Series 6 licensed or not.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

How big of a negative is it to time out on a coding question during an interview? I figured out the problem out loud and the interviewer gave me a kind of oblique "well I got to see how you problem solve" at the end, but I'm still worried since I'm not from a CS background and the interviewer seemed pretty skeptical about my coding experience.

Also, is it appropriate to send a thank you over LinkedIn? Mine still needs polish but I couldn't find my interviewer's email address anywhere and forgot to ask.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

How big of a negative is it to time out on a coding question during an interview? I figured out the problem out loud and the interviewer gave me a kind of oblique "well I got to see how you problem solve" at the end, but I'm still worried since I'm not from a CS background and the interviewer seemed pretty skeptical about my coding experience.

Also, is it appropriate to send a thank you over LinkedIn? Mine still needs polish but I couldn't find my interviewer's email address anywhere and forgot to ask.

Time out as in nothing or most of the way there? I think by most standards if you don't have the easy solution finished or almost there then you're done..

Yes, it's ok to send it over LinkedIn. You can also ask HR or the recruiter for the persons email.