Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

squidgee posted:

If you did anything with audio or video you'd feel otherwise, but I get this standpoint if you're buying a MBP as a dev machine. Still, it's disappointing because Macs were traditionally an audio/video pro's first choice.
EDIT: I'm an idiot. I thought you were talking storage, not peripherals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

eames posted:

wow is that really it. rip macOS.

I'm probably buying a Razer Blade.

I have at least another few years out of my 2014 MBP for Apple to turn it around before I wind up with a Microsoft Surface Book.

Five years ago I'd never have guessed that I'd be considering a Microsoft laptop over Apple. 2016 has been a seriously weird year.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I almost feel like Apples' decision to move the laptops to USB-C while leaving the iPhone (and iPad for now) behind is because they absolutely do not want any USB-C iPhone accessories that happen to be compatible with android phones. Higher barrier to switching if you can't take your accessories with you...

My 2013 Pro is having some issues with its' RAM and I was considering a new one but with these prices, I may have to just hold out and pray it's not a hardware issue. I really want the one with hardware function keys and not a touchbar but lol you get a garbage 15W processor for daring to desire physical buttons.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bob Morales posted:

any bets on a revised MacBook getting a second USB C port?

Well, now that USB-C has an approved analog audio path, odds are looking good…

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

SaturdayKnight posted:

but lol you get a garbage 15W processor for daring to desire physical buttons.
Has there ever been a case where a newer revision of an Apple product is actually slower with worse battery life than the old one, because base 2015 -> base 2016 RMBP could very well have that honor

e: OK the last time a newer revision was slower and died faster was in that vaunted high point of apple design: the third generation ipod shuffle (the one with no buttons)

Linguica fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 28, 2016

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Amusingly, there is no mouse anywhere in Logitech's lineup with a USB-C wireless adapter.

I suppose it is possible to use a dongle and have it hang limply over the side, but that rather defeats the purpose.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

Yea okay. But as long as we are removing old out dated ports lets also remove the loving audio jack then too and replace it with a lightning port.
So I can at least use the same loving headphones between my iPhone and Macbook.

To me THAT stands out as the most stupid decision of todays announcement.

Removing the headphone port from the phone was a stupid decision, Anyone who says stupid poo poo like "the jack is old technology" or "digital is better" is a loving moron.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Linguica posted:

OK the last time a newer revision was slower and died faster was in that vaunted high point of apple design: the third generation ipod shuffle (the one with no buttons)

It's funny because that shuffle was the one Apple claimed proto-Siri would replace all the buttons and on the new MacBook Pro Apple is once again saying Siri can replace buttons. (Sort of)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

theperminator posted:

Removing the headphone port from the phone was a stupid decision, Anyone who says stupid poo poo like "the jack is old technology" or "digital is better" is a loving moron.

How about "I don't use it"

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Paid $2000 new for this bad boy in November of 2013. Good to know that Apple is charging $400 more for almost identical specs :ughh:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

squidgee posted:

I have at least another few years out of my 2014 MBP for Apple to turn it around before I wind up with a Microsoft Surface Book.

Five years ago I'd never have guessed that I'd be considering a Microsoft laptop over Apple. 2016 has been a seriously weird year.

I really wonder how much a MBP with a touch screen would end up costing. It'd be really high, considering the price increases they just went through (to pay for the OLED and P3 gamut display.) Still, as exciting as the Surface looks, i really feel like the standard ways of controlling a computer are still much more efficient and comfortable. For me mice are better than trackpads, except for a couple gestural things. I'd love a Macbook that had it's trackpad replaced with a touchscreen though, with the haptic engine and giant trackpad it seems like that's where they're going.

mattdev posted:

Paid $2000 new for this bad boy in November of 2013. Good to know that Apple is charging $400 more for almost identical specs :ughh:

Isn't it meant as a Air replacement? Just paying for lightness and thinness, while exploiting the MBPro branding.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

How about "I don't use it"

Good for you? It's probably the most commonly used connector in the world, and you never have to worry about your headphones going flat.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I loving love my iPad Pro.

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
Before the event I had my eyes on the entry level 13 inch rmbp with 512 mB of storage and a 2.7 (3.1) GHz i5. After the event the new entry level rmbp has only a 2.0 (3.1) GHz i5 and when specced out in the exact same way (except for processor) it's £20 more. Am I missing something or did apple literally just announce an identical laptop to one they've been selling for a year but with a worse processor and a small price increase?

Edit: and now it has less functionality with no usb-a or sd slot

eames
May 9, 2009

two decent blog articles on the new macs.

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2016/10/27/new-macbook-pros-and-the-state-of-the-mac/

https://512pixels.net/2016/10/the-mac-line-is-still-kinda-broken/

oh and this gem:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So is the Mac Mini just dead at this point?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Twelve Elves posted:

So is the Mac Mini just dead at this point?

100%, along with the airs and the Mac Pro.

eames
May 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

100%, along with the airs and the Mac Pro.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable announcement of Xcode on the iPad Pro 2 and then I'd declare macOS dead as a whole.
With the direction they've shown yesterday I don't even think we'll ever see ARM Macbooks.

edit: interesting sidenote, the optical S/PDIF output inside the headphone jack is history.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 28, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I get going all-in on the USB-C but no SD card reader is stupid on a Pro. The Touch Bar will probably revolutionise DJ-ing though.

Let's hope they bump the specs on the Macbook and lower the price (lol), so we can at least get a somewhat reasonable laptop without gimmicky stuff we don't need.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xabi posted:

The Touch Bar will probably revolutionise DJ-ing though.

naaaaaaaaahhhh

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So I've been plugging along with a 2011 MBA for general work/surfing. I was thinking of replacing it this year with a new 13 rmbp. Sounds like I might as well hold off for another year?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Not having a USB port for thumb drives is going to piss off a lot of people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Imagine not having HDMI

I'm so so disappointed with these retarded laptops

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The problem with Apple going all in on USB-c and Thunderbolt is they don't have the market share in laptops to force the issue. How many ports have they tried to introduce that have gone precisely nowhere? It's nothing but an annoyance to anyone that works in an office and needs their wants laptop to be compatible with all the other IT gear.

Also a company that prides itself on its seamlessly unified ecosystem having a flagship phone that can't be plugged into its flagship laptop looks laughably shoddy.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Residency Evil posted:

So I've been plugging along with a 2011 MBA for general work/surfing. I was thinking of replacing it this year with a new 13 rmbp. Sounds like I might as well hold off for another year?

Mid 2011 13" MBA here. I'm going to wait until next year for the Kaby Lake update. Also, never buy 1st gen of a new Apple product. Always some kinks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Disappointed that it's the same lovely keyboard as the 12" Macbooks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

peanut- posted:

The problem with Apple going all in on USB-c and Thunderbolt is they don't have the market share in laptops to force the issue. How many ports have they tried to introduce that have gone precisely nowhere? It's nothing but an annoyance to anyone that works in an office and needs their wants laptop to be compatible with all the other IT gear.

Also a company that prides itself on its seamlessly unified ecosystem having a flagship phone that can't be plugged into its flagship laptop looks laughably shoddy.

I don't know, how many? Firewire I *might* give you, but it lasted for a long time and it wasn't too hard to find devices for it. Other than that?

TB3/USB C will be the ubiquitous port in the near future. Twice the throughput as USB 3 if used as a USB connection (10Mbps). And 50Mbps for thunderbolt connections.

The Samsung T3 external SSD is a USB C device. I think we're going to see more and more devices moving to USB C (not just phones) over the next year or so that will come with A<->C adaptor for legacy ports. Besides, Apple's push is to eliminate wired connections and have everything sync with the iCloud mothership.

I do agree with you that not having a lightning, or bundling USB A<->C adapters port at the very least is a mistake. However, I have no problem with them going all-in with TB3/USB C. The last time they did something like this it was floppy drives. And the comments were just as hilarious then as the "mah ports!" are now.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 28, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Well, they removed the optical drives and people still find that inconvenient, years later.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Do you guys seriously want a lightning connector on the macbook so you can hook up your lightning earpods? Really? That would be the ONLY use case for it. It would be completely useless for anyone who doesn't own an iPhone 7. Sometimes I feel like the majority of this thread are just trolls.

If you own an iPhone 7 and don't have ANY other earphones, buy these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...YW1L&ref=plSrch
The sound is better than the earpods, they're wireless and they're cheap.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

Do you guys seriously want a lightning connector on the macbook so you can hook up your lightning earpods? Really? That would be the ONLY use case for it. It would be completely useless for anyone who doesn't own an iPhone 7. Sometimes I feel like the majority of this thread are just trolls.

If you own an iPhone 7 and don't have ANY other earphones, buy these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...YW1L&ref=plSrch
The sound is better than the earpods, they're wireless and they're cheap.

The point is one of their devices comes with headphones which a lot of people end up using, and it doesn't plug into their other products. That's just plain weird.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I don't know, how many? Firewire I *might* give you, but it lasted for a long time and it wasn't too hard to find devices for it. Other than that?

Getting a lot of use out of those Thunderbolt ports are you?

USB-c may well be the future but it isn't the here-and-now when I actually need to use my machine. USB is utterly ubiquitous and won't stop being so for many years - most manufacturers are still going to make the easy thing that they know works on the vast majority of devices.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thunderbolt is 'fancy mini displayport' at this stage.

The USB standard has to move, but I'd be a lot happier if it were an evolution rather than just a full-on replacement.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

peanut- posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've seen this posted, and frankly, jesus christ, just stop. This exists:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

I mean I know right now ITT it's basically a competition to see who can vomit out the hottestdumbest takes about how Apple / the Mac is over, but really? Up your games, shitposters. How on earth could you think that making a lightning to USB C cable would be just too tough to manage?

(Also, hint, this cable is not a new product. The reason for it to exist has been around since March 2015; this isn't Apple's first USB C only laptop.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i'd really love to hear how everyone feels re: macs not right clicking

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mandals posted:

Well, gently caress.

For a few years now, I've felt that much of the criticism Tim Cook gets is unfair, and that people are too quick to forget all of Steve Jobs' many product misses and half-baked detours. I'd laugh and roll my eyes when people on Twitter would complain about this missing port, that missing feature. I thought the hand-wringing over the removal of the headphone jack was wildly overblown.

• An overemphasis on arbitrary features. SHOW AN EMOJI ONE MORE TIME I DARE YOU.

Yeah, you forgot their big innovation: Hermès watch bands!! Who cares about anything else??

I bought the original rMB when they came out and still love it (including the keyboard — I actually prefer the shallow travel), but USB-C was sure a pain in the rear end especially since it's not even uniform across their entire product line and it looks like it won't be for a year or so, or whenever they update the iMac. Could they really not have added a single USB-C port to the 2015 iMac update? In the meantime everyone with a laptop + desktop will have to buy two of every drat cable for devices they want to connect to both computers. Whenever I travel anywhere I need to bring two breakout adaptors—one for SD card reading, the other for HDMI/VGA and USB-A. Still, it seems like it will work out in the long run, unlike every single one of Apple's other stupid ports that are never adopted by anyone (hi, thunderbolt).

Not super stoked on the touch bar, and I imagine like Force Touch it will be ignored by 99% of their users. $300 is a pretty ridiculous premium for that + a 5% spec bump in the integrated graphics card + slightly faster RAM.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 28, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've seen this posted, and frankly, jesus christ, just stop. This exists:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

I mean I know right now ITT it's basically a competition to see who can vomit out the hottestdumbest takes about how Apple / the Mac is over, but really? Up your games, shitposters. How on earth could you think that making a lightning to USB C cable would be just too tough to manage?

(Also, hint, this cable is not a new product. The reason for it to exist has been around since March 2015; this isn't Apple's first USB C only laptop.)

The point is having to buy a dongle to do something as easy as plugging in your phone or now headphones.

Should have been one USB left behind in my opinion. USB isn't dead yet in my opinion. Maybs I'll be laughing at this post a few years from now but drat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Well, I did get six years of use out of all my minidp to HDMI/vga/dvi adapters

So out of the gate I need:
USB C to USB 3 mini adapter for my external HD
USB C to USB for my external keyboard or mouse (or use Magic Mouse)
Another USB C to USB for my flash drives (or buy new ones, probably the same price)
Still waiting on adapter to Cinema Display

I could just get a USB C hub, not cheap but fixes all these problems at once

Also eat a dick touchbar

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

looks like i bought the last good iphone (6s) and the last good macbook pro (2015 15")

im just going to believe this so i can feel better about myself and not want that big touchpad i don't have

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Can you upgrade RAM on a 2015 MBP or are they sealed like the MBAs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Can you upgrade RAM on a 2015 MBP or are they sealed like the MBAs?

You cannot, it is soldered in.