Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mike Danger posted:

Anyone else getting a SHODAN vibe?

I figure Annie is hearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoU30ixHrM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Demiurge4 posted:

Annie's never seen Kat's angel form before. That's gotta freak a girl out.
Yeah, next chapter is going to be the gang escaping from Jeanne, trying to figure out a new plan and then right at the very end Annie turns to Kat and says "So what are you, anyway?"

E: Next story chapter of course, although having City Face hijinx in the foreground while a battle to survive is going on in the background would also be amusing.

Itzena fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2016

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Isn't city face more of a Tom's on holidays thing than end of book?

Cavelcade posted:

Thanks, I was trying to remember who it was that actually saw her, this saves me the effort.

Edit: And because I have no self control I kept on reading and man this page is still one of my favourites. So simple, so effective.

Lol at the next page.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I can hear the metal screeching :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Isn't city face more of a Tom's on holidays thing than end of book?

Nah it's always at the end of the book. Tom has a huge buffer and there are actually MORE pages than usual when we get City Face. I wish we could get annual City Face!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Itzena posted:

E: Next story chapter of course, although having City Face hijinx in the foreground while a battle to survive is going on in the background would also be amusing.
Tom, if you still read this thread, please I need this.

Cat Mattress posted:

Look at you, elemental. A pathetic creature of flesh and fire. Panting and sweating as you run through my puzzle box. How can you challenge a bird-goddess of robots?
Amazing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This was mentioned earlier, but Kat has inadvertently used a machine to turn herself into a God thus making her a literal Deus ex Machina (which roughly translates into "god from the machine").

This is a Hell of a place to end a chapter.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This was mentioned earlier, but Kat has inadvertently used a machine to turn herself into a God thus making her a literal Deus ex Machina (which roughly translates into "god from the machine").

This is a Hell of a place to end a chapter.

Not exactly--Kat's divinity, at least as far as we've seen, is a function of the robots' belief in her as a god. But as I understand it, her actual ascension hasn't actually started yet, because the robots are incapable of true death, and therefore don't enter/impact the ether. However, the causality of belief is flexible--once Coyote existed, he had always existed. For the robots though, they're clearly aware of a time before Kat, so it doesn't pan out quite the same.

Basically, to go full speculation, if you read the Holy Book of Kat, they would be recording this as a time when she was both human and divine, and *because* they remember it that way, she's presently human with a hint of what's to come about her. She doesn't ascend because she's supernaturally good with machines, she's supernaturally good with machines because in the future she ascends to godhood. At some point in the future, she's going to hit the "actual apotheosis" part of her timeline, and then things really get crazy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if annie has always seen kat in the ether like this and just didn't think it was worth comment because she's met a bunch of freaky psychopomps already

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
We never got to figure out what blue's name was, rip

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

dragon enthusiast posted:

blue's name was, rip

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

And Tom kills it again on the bookend.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looking forward to the interpretations

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tollymain posted:

Kat is putting her all into the school play and really hamming it up; Annie keeps missing her queues because she trying to get her dad's attention; meanwhile John Wilkes Booth waits offscreen, menacingly and flamboyantly

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo, Red is going to propose to 'Blue'

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
RIP Smitty :(

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ditocoaf posted:

Blue is going to turn her down, but only as a way of saving face.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I'm glad to see Kat and Annie are no longer on opposing sides of the court/forest divide. Not sure why Smitty and George are on the forest side with Annie's fire spirit and Kat's d20, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ditocoaf posted:

"Hey, what's-your-face, you fat idiot. Will you be my jabroni?"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tollymain posted:

You have reached the classical era.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Coyote and Tony are equally powerful and great.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just noticed Jones and Fire!Annie up on top.

Also, interestingly, for once we don't have Annie on the Forest side, Kat on the Court. Both are on the Court side now, with Kat actually being closer to the Forest than Annie. Instead, on the Forest side, we have Parley and Smitty, albeit much further away and without as much detail. Parley has no face and Smitty's not even facing us.

I could try reading into all this and more, but I'm tired and have a headache now, so, later maybe.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting that Annie, the Forest medium, is finally depicted on the Court side while Smitty the Court medium is depicted on the Forest side.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe these don't really mean anything and they're just pretty drawings?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Big Boner Stacy posted:

Maybe these don't really mean anything and they're just pretty drawings?

If you listen to Tom's explanations on youtube, there's actually CRAPLOADS of alchemical meanings in these drawings. Everything is significant.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Poor Paz down there in the bottom with Rey worries me. She looks sad. :ohdear:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Have we seen that triangle in the moon before? I'm curious if we have any information about what the third symbol that accompanies Kat and Annie would be. I'm guessing not, otherwise the very convenient position of Kat's shoulder doesn't have the same impact.

Maybe it's the Court?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Fire Annie is on the forest side, so I'm guesing Annie is on the court side to represent having been torn away from the forest. That's all I got for now.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So are Red & Blue a couple now or what? I'd ship it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

EmmyOk posted:

Coyote and Tony are equally powerful and great.

They certainly are to Annie. Until Tony's recent reappearance, Coyote was probably the closest thing to a father figure she had in her life. And just look at the way he's glaring across the stage at Tony.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This is leaning way less on the dichotomy thing than previous treatises, which is interesting. Pretty much the only people solidly mirroring each other are Coyote and Anthony looming from respective balconies. Everyone else is just kinda doing their thing wherever they happen to be. The celestial bodies are more complex than just "Sun over forest, moon over court" -- though there's a tiny moon and sun carved into the architecture's corners.

Ooh -- and I just noticed the lower pillars on the court side are decorated with marching robots.

Also, it's maybe kind of ominous that Smitty is facing away from the viewer. That seems symbolic, and probably bad.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Malpais Legate posted:

So are Red & Blue a couple now or what? I'd ship it.

A couple of knuckleheads.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ditocoaf posted:

This is leaning way less on the dichotomy thing than previous treatises, which is interesting. Pretty much the only people solidly mirroring each other are Coyote and Anthony looming from respective balconies. Everyone else is just kinda doing their thing wherever they happen to be. The celestial bodies are more complex than just "Sun over forest, moon over court" -- though there's a tiny moon and sun carved into the architecture's corners.

Ooh -- and I just noticed the lower pillars on the court side are decorated with marching robots.

Also, it's maybe kind of ominous that Smitty is facing away from the viewer. That seems symbolic, and probably bad.

Looming conflict or loss. Possibly...death?

Interesting how murderghost straddles the boundary between forest and court side, and how the rift isn't present in the lower half. A growing rapprochement or does solving the Jeanne problem allow the forest to invade the court?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bilirubin posted:

Interesting how murderghost straddles the boundary between forest and court side, and how the rift isn't present in the lower half. A growing rapprochement or does solving the Jeanne problem allow the forest to invade the court?

I'm fully expecting that freeing Jeanne from her torment will cause at least as many problems as it solves.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Bilirubin posted:

Jeanne is the lynchpin around which all of the drama depicted in the treastise will play, I'd hazard.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
For all that the Jeanne situation is terrible, none of them seem to have thought through the consequences of solving it. The forest is not a harmless thing and I think the founders might have had a legitimate reason to be scared of invasion.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

NewMars posted:

For all that the Jeanne situation is terrible, none of them seem to have thought through the consequences of solving it. The forest is not a harmless thing and I think the founders might have had a legitimate reason to be scared of invasion.

Agreed. Does not in my mind justify their solution to it, but things are only going to get more and more complicated as our heroes get older and more adult :getin:

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

For real Parley and Smitty's positioning makes me think that Smitty is a goner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daius posted:

For real Parley and Smitty's positioning makes me think that Smitty is a goner

Some people were saying that Blue's mind control makes her too powerful and that she would be killed off here because of it.

We all forgot that there was one character here who's far more powerful than she is.