Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone tell me what this is? I google'd it and all I got was something called Panassed. I'm not sure if that's a word.

Looks like fish, trout maybe or salmon :shrug:
Maybe it's being smoked, but probably just cooked over the flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I grew a ton of basil over the summer and decided to make pesto with it. Basil, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt, the basics. It turned out great but was far too much. I kept it in the fridge in a huge bowl for a day or two, then dug out some jars and filled them up, pouring on a layer of oil because the top had started greying a bit presumably from oxidization. They've been sitting in the fridge for a few weeks now, during which time I remembered about the whole garlic-in-anaerobic-environment botulism danger. It occurred to me that I may have made a mistake.

What would be your next step?

At fridge temps you should be safe. Freeze if it still tastes good.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone tell me what this is? I google'd it and all I got was something called Panassed. I'm not sure if that's a word.

As others have said, that's fish on a stick dude. A very easy alternative to nailing your fish to a plank, particularly recommended if you lack a plank or nails, and a common/traditional way of cooking non-tiny fish like salmon.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What the hell is with these little fish on sticks? That's baby level stick-cooking. Francis Mallmann knows what's up.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 28, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought it was a specific fish on a stick technique!! So, it's not an actual thing? that's vaguely upsetting

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought it was a specific fish on a stick technique!! So, it's not an actual thing? that's vaguely upsetting

There is a somewhat-new cable show called Man, Fire, Food, where they host vists various outdoor BBQ places, anyplace where they cook with open flame/smoke.

I've seen a few variations on the "put sticks through it and hold it over an open fire" method, including specially made metal racks.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Tired Moritz posted:

I mean, it's a method for cooking meat over a campfire, but beyond that it's not really "a thing" per se.

Seriously though, if you are interested in that for whatever reason, you owe it to yourself to look up Francis Mallman. He is an Argentine chef who cooks pretty much exclusively over open flame. The Chef's Table episode about him was facinating and made me want to drop everything, quit my job and hop a flight to Patagonia to be his apprentice.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

I mean, it's a method for cooking meat over a campfire, but beyond that it's not really "a thing" per se.

Seriously though, if you are interested in that for whatever reason, you owe it to yourself to look up Francis Mallman. He is an Argentine chef who cooks pretty much exclusively over open flame. The Chef's Table episode about him was facinating and made me want to drop everything, quit my job and hop a flight to Patagonia to be his apprentice.

There's also a restaurant in Oakland called "Camino" that bases itself around cooking over a giant fire pit. They have a cookbook out that goes into detail about the history of the restaurant and has a lot of recipes and tips for cooking over open flame.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Tired Moritz posted:

When I saw that sort of thing in Christmas Market stands in Germany they were called "flammlachs," but I don't know if there's a useful English translation. Searching for flammlachs comes up with more pictures along the lines of yours though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"Flame Salmon" sounds kinda like a C-tier Pokemon

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

"Flame Salmon" sounds kinda like a C-tier Pokemon

Or a crappy Megaman boss

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Also called loimulohi in Finnish, but it's not really "a thing" beyond being some way to hold up your fish without it falling in the fire.

Waci fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 28, 2016

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I'm sick of the 40000 kilos of sugar in a heinz ketchup bottle. Is this good enough for a home made ketchup recipe?

3 cans/jars of organic Tomato Paste (I order the jars by the case from here)
½ cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (this will leave a faint apple taste)
1 teaspoon garlic powder.
1 tablespoon onion powder.
2 tablespoons honey or cane sugar, or about ½ tsp stevia powder/tincture (or more to taste)

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Anyone have a good cast iron deep dish pizza recipe? Dough and all? Grazie.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

On my phone so hopefully that link works, but Kenji's recipe works great.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just note that calls for a 10 inch pan which I dunno I didn't have when I tried to make it. Adjust accordingly

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Awesome, Kenji didn't cross my mind. Thank you!

E: will AP flour ruin the dough recipe?

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 29, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Awesome, Kenji didn't cross my mind. Thank you!

E: will AP flour ruin the dough recipe?

It'll be a little more tender and less chewy. If you want to turn it into bread flour, add vital wheat gluten (80% protein) to your flour (whatever % protein it is; look it up) to achieve whatever protein content you want (usually 11.5-12.5% for bread flour). Note that KAF usually runs higher protein than most competitors, so you'll be just fine using KAF AP - and honestly, your pizza will be fine if you just use whatever AP you have.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

From that explanation, i think id prefer ap for the less chewy aspect. You guys really are the best.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nierbo posted:

I'm sick of the 40000 kilos of sugar in a heinz ketchup bottle. Is this good enough for a home made ketchup recipe?

3 cans/jars of organic Tomato Paste (I order the jars by the case from here)
½ cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (this will leave a faint apple taste)
1 teaspoon garlic powder.
1 tablespoon onion powder.
2 tablespoons honey or cane sugar, or about ½ tsp stevia powder/tincture (or more to taste)

Seems a tad light on salt and possibly other spices, but I'd say it's a decent enough starting point depending on how you like your tomato product. Also depends on how big of containers your paste comes in. Are you talking the little (4oz?) tin cans of paste, or are you looking at a larger jar?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Something a bit larger. What else should I add in the way of spice? Just more of what they say, or other herbs entirely?

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Anyone got a good recipe for waffles?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gonna try my hand at making some sammich bread tomorrow using this recipe; never tried to make bread before. Am I going to regret not having an electric mixer/beater for this? Just go at it hard with a fork or something?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
A fork? Not sure if you're joking or you're seriously underestimating how dense bread dough is. That said, I baked bread with no mixer for a while. I only hated myself when I tried to do add grains to the dough, drat seeds would keep making their way out of the dough while kneading.

You can get a good workout kneading dough too. If you start making bread often enough, then you'll likely consider getting a mixer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Definitely a know-nothing response, never worked with bread before :v: guess I need to see if I can find those wood mixing spoons in my never-unpacked kitchen stuff.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you can do it without a mixer, but if it's a batch for more than one loaf your forearms are going to hate you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't find the drat spoons anyway so I'll just go and get a cheap electric mixer tomorrow, didn't realize they were less than like thirty bucks until I looked. Thanks for the warnings :v:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I can't find the drat spoons anyway so I'll just go and get a cheap electric mixer tomorrow, didn't realize they were less than like thirty bucks until I looked. Thanks for the warnings :v:

uh, you mean a hand-held mixer? Those are not going to make dough for you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What the hell, is bread dough concrete or something :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 30, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

listen, go ahead and make a small 1 loaf batch by hand - it will begin to inform you about how much you need to beat the poo poo out of the various ingredients

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Know what, I'm gonna be up late tonight anyway, I'll do just that. Back in an hour for the I-told-you-so's :v:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just make it by hand you'll learn a lot

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And this is why I'll stick to no knead bread. That and those nice flavors from the week long ferment.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Recommended scale?

I made some bread by hand for the first time ever and it was a lot of fun, I noticed my scale was a little lovely but didn't worry about it. Now my bread is too salty (but edible).

Under $100 preferably.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Know what, I'm gonna be up late tonight anyway, I'll do just that. Back in an hour for the I-told-you-so's :v:

*ahem* Proceed.

ow

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

*ahem* Proceed.

ow

Told you so.

How did it go? Tired?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

*ahem* Proceed.

ow

how'd it turn out?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ain't bread yet, just doing the first rise after kneading. Looks okay so far though (he says, not knowing a drat thing about what he's doing).

At least I have a rolling pin for some drat reason, oughta make the next part easier.

Shoulda spread out some towels though, goddamn flour gets everywhere :argh:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
You'll get better at it. First few times I made bread it'd be a mess, but the latter times were way better.

Also, don't get disillusioned if it turns out dry and hard. I'm no expert, but I've learned that bread is one of those things that you have to do again and again, and it will eventually get better, until it doesn't, then it does again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tres Burritos posted:

Recommended scale?

I made some bread by hand for the first time ever and it was a lot of fun, I noticed my scale was a little lovely but didn't worry about it. Now my bread is too salty (but edible).

Under $100 preferably.

The Answer

bread guy:

You don't need anything to make bread other than flour, water, salt, and yeast. I mean that literally - you can do it with no other equipment or ingredients, other than some sort of heat source (a hot rock works if you're in a pinch). Bread is an extremely adaptable, primeval thing; breadmaking has evolved with humans along with beer brewing as an extremely useful survival trait, and the quality of ingredients available in 2016 means that you'll have a successful bread (even if imperfect) no matter what you do. Don't worry about messing it up: just go for it.

Here's an easy bread you can make at home.

Take some flour. Put it in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Mix.

In a separate bowl, take some warm but not hot water (not a ton) and sprinkle yeast onto it. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes until the yeast is all foamy and smells like it's alive, because it is.

Make an indentation in the center of the flour with your dry, clean hand. Pour the yeastwater into it. Incorporate flour from the sides and bottom of the indentation and keep adding water until it seems right. You'll know.

Knead it by pushing with your wrists away from you on a clean surface, preferably one dusted with a tiny bit of flour. Fold it over the same direction you just spread it out, rotate 90 degrees so the long direction is facing away from you, and repeat. Give it some elbow grease - it'll start to ache after a while, though. 10-15 minutes should do the trick. You want it to feel like a lump of clay, something that is malleable but still holds its shape.

Use your hands to add tension to the loaf and put all the excess on whatever side you want to be the bottom. Get it pretty tight, and secure it on the bottom by twisting it or something. Put the loaf in a bowl. It helps to oil the bowl lightly beforehand, so it doesn't stick as much. You can also put it in a basket that's lined with cotton muslin and dusted with flour - those are called bannetons or brotforms.

Put a breathable, light cloth over the top of the bowl and let it sit for a couple hours until it's about doubled in size. When you press it with your fingertip, the dent should spring back gently. If it springs back immediately and leaves no dimple, it's underproofed; let it ferment a while longer. If it doesn't spring back at all or seems deflated, it's overproofed, and you messed up. That's okay! It'll still be delicious.

Form the bread into whatever shape you want it to have, and be gentle - you want to collapse some of the air but really you want to restructure the internal matrix of gas pockets so it's more even, particularly so the bubbles along the top don't overexpand in the oven. Basically, massage it into shape.

Give it some more tension as you form it, and let it sit on your baking sheet or on another flat surface, lightly covered, until it's expanded again. Give it the poke test one more time. If it passes, throw it in the oven for a while. You can add some humidity if you want to. You want pretty hot but not pizza hot; remember, this is a pretty big lump of dough that you need to cook all the way through.

Oh, and you might want to give it a few slashes with an extremely sharp, thin blade - razor blades work well. Go deeper than you might think, and be swift and decisive; if that blade drags, your slash will look lame, and it won't do as good a job at relieving the internal pressure. It'll be fine, though.

You'll be fine. Go make bread.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 30, 2016