Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

USB C is sick as poo poo, if you've used a new Nexus phone or the Pixel, it charges so fast. The only thing that sucks is it'll be years til your friend has it too, so you're SOL if you left home without your charger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've got a first gen Surface. Outdated as hell and poo poo battery life, but it was surprisingly versatile. I installed Alan Wake just for the gently caress of it. Ran like garbage. Does smaller indie games and emulators decently though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've got a first gen Surface. Outdated as hell and poo poo battery life, but it was surprisingly versatile. I installed Alan Wake just for the gently caress of it. Ran like garbage. Does smaller indie games and emulators decently though.

Ever tried The Binding of Isaac on it?

Also I want BoI on Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah. Had it on ps4, so no point. Played some Braid and Spelunky though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Detective No. 27 posted:

How does Laura Kate Dale not get all of her friends fired for leaking poo poo?

The same way other journalists manage it when leaking state secrets and billion dollar deals?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Bloomberg interviews Kimishima.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I like this guy

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Decus posted:

The Switch is going to get plenty of 3rd party support just like 3DS, though western devs are up in the air. Like, I would be very surprised if bethesda puts the newest TES game on Switch versus just putting their trading card game on it but it's not at all like Wii was. And if the system sells it won't at all be like WiiU was.

Wii vs. PS3/360 comparisons don't work quite as well here because the gap between Switch and a modern console won't be quite that large, especially in terms of their CPUs. The issue with the Wii and it getting ports was less "they would have had to make a lovely looking version" and more "it literally cannot run the game as designed, no matter what you do about the lighting, shading, textures, etc.".

Sure, the GPU will probably be at feature parity or at least pretty close to PS4, but being limited to ~1/20 of the TDP the other consoles are pushing means you're not going to see straight ports without huge sacrifices.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

oddium posted:

3.1 is usb-c when still inside the volcano
Oh wait yeah, now I get it. :)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791997876037521408

Yeah. They are being hyper conservative with this thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Can you blame them

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I think the switch is a cool product that will sell pretty well, maybe not to Wii numbers, but will keep Nintendo as A Thing. But kids love tablets and poo poo so it might get to Wii numbers eventually too since the drat thing is going to be like 1/3rd the cost of an iPad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

No console is ever going to do Wii numbers again. The market has severely contracted.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No console is ever going to do Wii numbers again. The market has severely contracted.

unless the switch is successful in replacing both the wii u and 3ds, in which case they could hit those numbers again, but that's not really an honest comparison

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So why are so many people convinced that this is going to be an absolute successor to both the Wii U and 3DS and that not outwardly making it backwards compatible with 3DS games is another nail in the Nintendo coffin?

Like, poo poo, I can plug up my Wii U in the car. That doesn't mean it's a replacement for my 3DS.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
It'll replace the 3DS eventually, but Nintendo is going to keep supporting it for a little while to maintain the install base and ensure that they have a backup option in case the switch flops.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

But why do people think that when it would be a gigantic step backwards in what made the 3DS an interesting portable and would actively shut out an entire demographic of its player base? Kids are a huge part of the market for the 2DS/3DS, and Nintendo is not going to say "Your 12-year old should just drag around your $300 console with the detachable controller pieces, why not."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Switch isn't going to cost 300 dollars.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

wicka posted:

unless the switch is successful in replacing both the wii u and 3ds, in which case they could hit those numbers again, but that's not really an honest comparison

I haven't looked but I'd bet if you combined the sales of both the Wii U and the 3DS they still wouldn't come close to the Wii's

That shouldn't be, and likely isn't, the goal of consolidating both models behind the Switch

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch isn't going to cost 300 dollars.

Technically accurate, it's going to cost more.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Takoluka posted:

But why do people think that when it would be a gigantic step backwards in what made the 3DS an interesting portable and would actively shut out an entire demographic of its player base? Kids are a huge part of the market for the 2DS/3DS, and Nintendo is not going to say "Your 12-year old should just drag around your $300 console with the detachable controller pieces, why not."

Kids must be excited for this christmas pokemon and skylanders. Next year they need to bury their face in the middle of a mall, screaming they absolutely need the switch as they read from their fellow forum posters in games. So don't worry, they will have level 5 advertising yokai switch next year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Takoluka posted:

because making the switch a hybrid console/portable is a completely pointless exercise if you also maintain the 3DS separately? what in the world would be the point of the switch's design otherwise

i can certainly see them keeping the 3DS around and selling it as a budget device indefinitely, but you're not going to see another 3DS device or a direct successor that isn't the switch, unless the switch is an abject failure

Soul Glo posted:

I haven't looked but I'd bet if you combined the sales of both the Wii U and the 3DS they still wouldn't come close to the Wii's

it's like 80m vs 110m so yeah you're right

wicka fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twerk from Home posted:

Technically accurate, it's going to cost more.

It's going to cost less than 300 dollars. Nintendo is going to release their new system at a lower price point than the PS4 and Xbox One.

You are being ridiculous if you think anything else.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm thinking it'll be 299 not including the Pro-style controller, maybe not even a Joy-Con Grip

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
80 million doesn't account for overlap so it'd be less, really.

The 3DS was $250 at launch before it was dropped to $180. By all accounts it was a dumb handheld for kids. If/when they decide Switch is going to be the full successor to 3DS they'll just release a $100 version designed specifically for kids like they did with the 2DS.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Takoluka posted:

A lot of parents are already buying their kids 3DSXLs, which cost $200. If they're going to allow them to run around with one of them why would they suddenly get all antsy about letting them run around with something only a third dearer? Yea, they might break it. So what? They could break their 3DSXLs too. If they do, they'll just replace it. Or maybe they won't as a lesson to the kid (and possibly to themselves). There's no reason to think they'll do it at $200 but won't at $300 though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's not just the "costs a third more" part, it's also the "has mandatory detachable bits." If your kid loses the stylus, it's not a big deal, but losing a JoyCon, or heaven forbid both, is a disaster.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
When you've got a touch-screen it probably covers a lot of bases. The joycons are almost certainly going to be available separately and relatively cheaply too, given that they apparently don't have much in them beyond IR and gyros, even if the touchscreen can't cover all games.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

It's not just the "costs a third more" part, it's also the "has mandatory detachable bits." If your kid loses the stylus, it's not a big deal, but losing a JoyCon, or heaven forbid both, is a disaster.

Oh no my kid lost $20 worth of electronics. Whatever am I going to do. Oh, I know. I'll just not buy them ice cream for two weeks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, if that rumor about special custom joycons bundled with games comes true, there's no way the joycons themselves can be very expensive, or you're looking at like $90 retail bundles for Nintendo games before DLC.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Decus posted:

Oh no my kid lost $20 worth of electronics. Whatever am I going to do. Oh, I know. I'll just not buy them ice cream for two weeks.

lmao what the gently caress is this post

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's 2016, five year olds have iPads. "Parents won't let their kids have expensive fragile electronics" isn't a thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

$10 a week on kids ice cream that's what three servings how fat are your kids dawg

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

iPads don't have controllers that, if lost, render the system mostly inoperable until you get new ones.

Like, you lose a 3DS stylus, you can still poke the drat thing. You lose your JoyCons... hope it has a touchscreen, I guess??????????????????????????????????

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

iPads don't have controllers that, if lost, render the system mostly inoperable until you get new ones.

Like, you lose a 3DS stylus, you can still poke the drat thing. You lose your JoyCons... hope it has a touchscreen, I guess??????????????????????????????????

You're right. You lose an iPad you just buy a new one, why doesn't Nintendo make Joycons tied specificially to each switch uniquely? Nintendo is stupid.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Just the fact that you can trust a kid with an iPad, this should be no problem. Yes it has detachable parts, but they very intuitively slip right back on the tablet when not in use. I can't see a kid over the age of 7 cramming it into a car seat

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I have never met a child I could trust with an iPad.

But seriously, the idea here is that "Check it. It is a brand new Nintendo console that you sit down and play at home like every other Nintendo console. But it ALSO has some neat portable functionality!" But people have taken it as "This is Nintendo's new portable console that also has a dock. It will fail, because it doesn't work with Nintendo's current portable games and probably has mediocre battery life. I don't care about Streetpass."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Like, I went to a museum in Japan and saw a bunch of kids taking pictures with their 3DSes while Mom was using the family iPad. The thought that you're just giving everyone in your household a next-gen console as a replacement for your Game Boy is absurd to me.

But who knows? Maybe I'm extremely wrong here and Nintendo is doing exactly that. I'd think it's a stupid decision, but it's not my company, sooooo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was surprised how few people have been doom and glooming the Switch, but I'm glad to see there's one jackass still out there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Takoluka posted:

I have never met a child I could trust with an iPad.

But seriously, the idea here is that "Check it. It is a brand new Nintendo console that you sit down and play at home like every other Nintendo console. But it ALSO has some neat portable functionality!" But people have taken it as "This is Nintendo's new portable console that also has a dock. It will fail, because it doesn't work with Nintendo's current portable games and probably has mediocre battery life. I don't care about Streetpass."

Let's be honest, the real argument is always "It will fail, because Nintendo is dumb and I am the smartest businessman alive."

• Locked thread