Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's the post your fun history facts thread, I left when a bunch of poo poo posters were pretty much poo poo posting.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

The ability to look up Soviet records to compare to German versions of events will never not be amazing. I read about a battle where (as the Germans claim) two Mechanized Corps' worth of T-34s drove into their ambush and 90% of them were destroyed. Actual Soviet tank losses for that day, across the entire Front: 5.

Did you make a cheating at statistics article about that one?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's the post your fun history facts thread, I left when a bunch of poo poo posters were pretty much poo poo posting.

Aw, that's dissapointing. I've let it accumulate like 400 unread posts, but the page I'm on is chock full of rad HRE maps.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

PittTheElder posted:

Aw, that's dissapointing. I've let it accumulate like 400 unread posts, but the page I'm on is chock full of rad HRE maps.

It was doing decent until some guy decided it was a great time to break out a 'this nazi wasn't as bad as THIS NAZI' facts.

Then like always it went down faster than a Hussars breeches at a Parisian brothel.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Always nice to see a great post.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Monocled Falcon posted:

Did you make a cheating at statistics article about that one?

It's in the pipeline. I have about 20-30 articles queued up to keep the content varied.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tevery Best posted:

Always nice to see a great post.

Yeah thanks for the PLC stuff.
I seem to recall JCDent mentioning he'd post on them somewhere way up thread...

Could anyone recommended a good Stalin biography?
How about a not entirely terrible pro Stalin bio? Unfortunately I only read English.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

How about a not entirely terrible pro Stalin bio? Unfortunately I only read English.

I liked Edvard Radzinsky's Stalin bio a lot, since Radzinsky clearly isn't a fan of the man.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was doing decent until some guy decided it was a great time to break out a 'this nazi wasn't as bad as THIS NAZI' facts.

Then like always it went down faster than a Hussars breeches at a Parisian brothel.

It's starting to get better, and it likely will. It would get better faster if you lot posted to change the topic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lenoon posted:

After Operation Michael though, then you start to get tanks involved in mobile warfare again. Luckily by then the tanks involved had been specifically designed with mobile warfare in mind, which were both more reliable and a hell of a lot quicker. There's even stuff like the Amiens whippet, probably the first time a single roaming tank caused havoc after punching too far through German lines. Theres even a legend that it carried on after the capture of the crew, a story that crops up in the most surprising places...
Interestingly that story has changed over time too. Originally the machine spirit was recovered and put into a new chassis.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

It's starting to get better, and it likely will. It would get better faster if you lot posted to change the topic.

Alternatively, redirect them here. :kheldragar:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

i posted! people care less about how to tell the difference between worn paper and worm-eaten paper than they do about Hitler Posts Part 55: The Hitlering

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
lol at people taking pyf seriously

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

i posted! people care less about how to tell the difference between worn paper and worm-eaten paper than they do about Hitler Posts Part 55: The Hitlering

See also: the atom bomb argument and the D&D thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kinda tempted to respond to hitler arguments by just posting hipster hitler t shirts.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Kinda tempted to respond to hitler arguments by just posting hipster hitler t shirts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shouldn't that be "Only available in white" ?

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

And up to date - not to self, don't let yourself get 2,000 post behind ever again....

Okay! Book recomendation time.

I've just finished "Europe's Tragedy" and am looking for something new.

After reading about how screwed up the armies were in the period, is there a good book on how they went from feudal levies to mercenaries? Or just on the mercs themselves?

From what I get (this is a new period of history for me) it was a transition from the smaller forces and feudal lead to a more industrial pay led scheme - basically in the Feudal system, you had to fight because your local lord would know if you didn't. In the later periods you fought for pay and for your country, but I guess this was a transition period where you pretty much fought for pay. Then it became cheaper to just hire mercenaries rather than maintain a trained army?

Many questions.

Otherwise anything good on the Huns/Goths and the "Barbarian" invasion of Europe/Rome?

For mercenaries, and the transition between feudal and early modern militaries, I highly recommend Michael Mallet's Mercenaries and the Masters. It's Italian and a little earlier than the 30 Years Wars, but it covers how mercenary bands developed from very successful bandit groups into the core of a modern standing army. Mallet writes in a style that's clear and enjoyable to read, rather than high-level academese, and spends a fair chunk of the book throwing shade on the Florentines in general and Machiavelli in particular as wrong on everything about war.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wow the quality of that post your questions history thread just dropped hilariously once more after Hitler was brought up.

When the sufferings of WW1 tank crews brought it it always reminds me of the crews on the first experimental Ironclad monitors as well.

Not to mention the crews of the first submersibles. Link contains the confederate sub H.L. Hunley, which sank three times, losing 21 crewmen in the process.

It's a testament to military discipline that the guys pegged for the third tour didn't just tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tias posted:

Not to mention the crews of the first submersibles. Link contains the confederate sub H.L. Hunley, which sank three times, losing 21 crewmen in the process.

It's a testament to military discipline that the guys pegged for the third tour didn't just tell them to go gently caress themselves.

At this point, isn't it better to just rename the thing to fool the crew, or stave off bad luck or whatever? Provided you don't scrap the drat thing given its track record, of course.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Fat Samurai posted:

At this point, isn't it better to just rename the thing to fool the crew, or stave off bad luck or whatever? Provided you don't scrap the drat thing given its track record, of course.

Scrapping it probably wasn't an option, it was the CSA's attempt at a Wunderwaffe, ideally to break the US blockade and flood the CSA with weapons and stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Umm that's going to be a bit of an ask if you want anything published after the 1950s, I think :stonk:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Shouldn't that be "Only available in white" ?

Brown is also an option.

Wouldn't wear that in Austria or Germany though. That's either a steep fine or up to 3 years prison in Germany. In Austria that's 5-10 years.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

JaucheCharly posted:

Brown is also an option.

Wouldn't wear that in Austria or Germany though. That's either a steep fine or up to 3 years prison in Germany. In Austria that's 5-10 years.

Maybe don't wear it at all ever anywhere.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Thanks for the recomendations - Mercenaries and their masters is the next read - after a pallet clenser of Machine of Death.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Started today with thesis work. Realized I probably need to track down which regiments were with Tilly at Magdeburg. Smoked a cigarette.

If I don't restrain myself at all I'll end up with a thesis the length of a doctoral thesis and that's not probably worth it unless someone pays me to write one.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Thanks for the recomendations - Mercenaries and their masters is the next read - after a pallet clenser of Machine of Death.

?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fat Samurai posted:

At this point, isn't it better to just rename the thing to fool the crew
yeah let them confuse it with some other mid 19th century submarine

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dyslexia - the fun of spelling the wrong words so your spell checker makes you look like a idiot.

I defiantly hate it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HEY GAL posted:

yeah let them confuse it with some other mid 19th century submarine

No, no, no... It's a new mid 19th century submarine. Improved version. This one doesn't sink as much. Top secret stuff. That's why you haven't heard about it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fat Samurai posted:

No, no, no... It's a new mid 19th century submarine. Improved version. This one doesn't sink as much. Top secret stuff. That's why you haven't heard about it.
we still haven't reached the target number, which is zero sinkings

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

Started today with thesis work. Realized I probably need to track down which regiments were with Tilly at Magdeburg. Smoked a cigarette.

If I don't restrain myself at all I'll end up with a thesis the length of a doctoral thesis and that's not probably worth it unless someone pays me to write one.

Also Kemper Boyd posted:

I have blossomed out into a flower whose name is IDEOLOGY and whose petals are PSYCHOANALYSIS, POST-STRUCTURALISM and IF I'M THE FIRST TO WRITE ABOUT THIS I CANNOT BE WRONG

But sincerely, good luck with the project!

Tias
May 25, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

Scrapping it probably wasn't an option, it was the CSA's attempt at a Wunderwaffe, ideally to break the US blockade and flood the CSA with weapons and stuff.

To be fair it was the first submersible to sink an enemy ship( the steam sloop-of-war Housatonic), though it exploded itself doing so.

Also, it sank, losing more than half of its hands during the training voyage - which is probably where I would have started getting out of the confederate navy if it was me :psyduck:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FastestGunAlive posted:

Good question, I'd like the know as well. My understanding is that it was LBJs call but I don't know why. I believe several advisors recommended staying, because it had pinned a large number of NVA in place. I also believe the Marines felt they were doing fine and were upset when told to withdraw.

The major reason that Khe Sahn was abandoned was that Westmoreland was finally shitcanned after the Tet Offensive happened. While the Tet Offensive was ostensibly a pretty major victory for the US and in particular showed that ARVN could be a pretty effective fighting force, which is what the US ultimately wanted after all, it totally soured public opinion on the war and led lawmakers to believe that the war was unwinnable.

I'm not sure who exactly ordered the abandonment of the base but in any case Abrams (Westy's replacement) was not looking to draw the NVA into major battles in the same way Westy was and was much more concerned with actually fighting a counter-insurgency war and winning the support of the population. In addition, the siege had left the base totally hosed - the runway in particular was literally falling apart due to the number of heavy transport flights they'd had to bring in non stop to bring supplies to the defenders.

As for the NVA, they pulled out of the area once it was clear that the siege would not be successful. With the NVA not being in the area any more any notion of Khe Sahn pinning down NVA formations disappeared, and so did the justification for maintaining the base in the eyes of many. Of course as soon as the US abandoned the base the NVA just walked in and took the area, which was a pretty common pattern throughout the war (and is essentially the plot for the great book Matterhorn).

By the way Westmoreland was so fixated on Khe Sahn that he thought the entire Tet Offensive was set up to draw troops and support away from Khe Sahn so the NVA could take it. Till the day he died Westmoreland never, ever understood the war he was fighting, and was firmly convinced that with a bit more airpower, a few more troops and a tad more support from the US government he could have won the war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I saw a book named Der grosse Krieg at the antiquarian shop, from 1895. It was about the Franco-Prussian war. It was German printed in (((Fraktur))) so I skipped it even though it had beautiful drawings, including political cartoons about Nappy III that buffoon.

It made me think that at some point, there must have been Germans who called WW1 as The Second Great War.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 28, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

As for the NVA, they pulled out of the area once it was clear that the siege would not be successful. With the NVA not being in the area any more any notion of Khe Sahn pinning down NVA formations disappeared, and so did the justification for maintaining the base in the eyes of many. Of course as soon as the US abandoned the base the NVA just walked in and took the area, which was a pretty common pattern throughout the war (and is essentially the plot for the great book Matterhorn).

Chiming in to say that Fire Base Matterhorn owns, and everyone interested in the perspective of a junior marine officer in 'Nam should read the poo poo out of it. Whoever recommended it to me itt, thank you!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

I saw a book named Der grosse Krieg at the antiquarian shop, from 1895. It was German printed in (((Fraktur))) so I skipped it even though it had beautiful drawings.

It made me think that at some point, there must have been Germans who called WW1 as The Second Great War.
in my experience, the 30yw is The Great War, or just The War, and ww1 is The World War or The First World War

no other war has ever been as bad for them as the 30yw, so no other war would attain the same status in speech. i remember hearing that doenitz's surrender announcement said he was doing it so that things wouldn't get as bad as they did in the 30yw, which means everyone's standing around looking at their cities getting bombed flat and going "it could be worse..."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 28, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Chiming in to say that Fire Base Matterhorn owns, and everyone interested in the perspective of a junior marine officer in 'Nam should read the poo poo out of it. Whoever recommended it to me itt, thank you!
every now and then i read things about vietnam, but i usually don't read fiction. i might based on the recommendations itt tho

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

See also: the atom bomb argument and the D&D thread.

The DnD a-bomb thread is a yearly tradition and a pro-click if you want to hear about how the US bears ultimate blame for WW2, or see an actual communist get pissy because someone said "the soviets didn't have much amphibious assault capability."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

vintagepurple posted:

The DnD a-bomb thread is a yearly tradition and a pro-click if you want to hear about how the US bears ultimate blame for WW2, or see an actual communist get pissy because someone said "the soviets didn't have much amphibious assault capability."
lol reminds me of how funny i find it whenever anyone says "austrian navy"