Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Coincidentially I just read a newspaper article (actual paper vrsion even) about how ordoliberalism has failed, much like neoliberalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

His Divine Shadow posted:

It favors local producers and puts a higher price on sweets. It's a double win.

Hmmmm, I think you are forgetting the part about "single market" and "free circulation of goods".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Now if everone else would, too.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Now if everone else would, too.

Yeah, let's go back to mercantilism, it' been a while since we gave that a go.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

MeLKoR posted:

Who said anything about going back to mercantilism? There is a pretty good alternative, you may have heard of it, it's called international communism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My main takeaway from this thread is that the death of Nokia has hosed up Finland in much more deep and subtle ways than I would expect, materially, politically, but most of all psychologically.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Who said anything about going back to mercantilism? There is a pretty good alternative, you may have heard of it, it's called international communism.
Oh, I wasn't aware that those were the options. You mean the whole time it was a matter of choosing between neoliberalism and full communism now? Sign me up!

steinrokkan posted:

My main takeaway from this thread is that the death of Nokia has hosed up Finland in much more deep and subtle ways than I would expect, materially, politically, but most of all psychologically.
The problem is that the Finns have long been living above their means. They need to review their entitlements, outrageous healthcare and education expenses, cut outdated worker "protections" that have been choking the economy. The Finns need to adapt to the modern world and start competing with the Chinese workers.

We can send them our ex-prime minister to give them a few tips, they seemed to like him a lot.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 28, 2016

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

MeLKoR posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware that those were the options. You mean the whole time it was a matter of choosing between neoliberalism and full communism now? Sign me up!

This is actually what a lot of people, like the leaders of the EU, seem to think, because clearly There Is No Alternative to full neoliberalism now if you hear them talk.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

MeLKoR posted:

You mean the whole time it was a matter of choosing between neoliberalism and full communism now? Sign me up!

It's been pretty well established that the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles. This includes today, bub. Full communism has always been an option.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MeLKoR posted:

If defined as the type of economy that existed roughly 1950-1980 then yes, lets go back to "mercantilism" (or limited global trade as economist christer lindholm in finland terms it) then sure, it produced better growth and less income disparities.

But you know, it's coming regardless what I say, and a whole of other unpleasant poo poo with it because this system is loving everything up good.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pesmerga posted:

In before people start whining about ordoliberalism like it means something.
Talk like that will make Mark Blyth sad. You wouldn't want that, would you? :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MeLKoR posted:

The problem is that the Finns have long been living above their means. They need to review their entitlements, outrageous healthcare and education expenses, cut outdated worker "protections" that have been choking the economy. The Finns need to adapt to the modern world and start competing with the Chinese workers.

We can send them our ex-prime minister to give them a few tips, they seemed to like him a lot.

This sounds like our current government now. BTW.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Counterpoint: if the end of a hidden subsidy for salmiakki leads to their disparition, it will be a victory of the free market.
Behead those who don't enjoy salmiak or other ammonium-chloride licorice

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

It favors local producers and puts a higher price on sweets. It's a double win.

gently caress local producers and parochialism (but i am repeating myself)

universal basic income will make this policy entirely unproblematic

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

The opposite tyvm

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

blowfish posted:

In the year two thousand and when the hell freezes over

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blowfish posted:

brb gonna go buy some PDO certified cheeses first

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Lurkers please come back in 20 pages this is gonna get ugly.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

In Finland, we have saying, "Finland is a banana republic that ran out of bananas."

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Here's incontrovertible proof that PDO cheeses are superior

Can you do that with string cheese or whatever Kraft-made horror you Americans cram into your mouths? I think not.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can you do that with string cheese or whatever Kraft-made horror you Americans cram into your mouths? I think not.

Well, can you do this with your communist cheese?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yes, but then it'd be a nice slice of Beaufort (AOP) and not a disgusting orange brick.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yes, but then it'd be a nice slice of Beaufort (AOP) and not a disgusting orange brick.

That's a fine and affordable cheddar, produces in a modern and efficient factory, you luddite.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

That's a fine and affordable cheddar, produces in a modern and efficient factory, you luddite.

Maybe, but if words have meaning, I'm not sure it actually qualifies as cheese. It looks like it's actually painted sawdust held together by carrageenans of some sort.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
communism doesn't work tyvm

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Please do not use the trade mark "cheddar" without an accompanying proof of prior consent issued by the Kraft Heinz corporate offices. We at KRaft Heinz are immensely proud of our contributions to world's cuisine, which include not only our all-authentic cheddar, but also our other original products with world-wide trade mark protection: Parmesan(R), Mozzarella(R), Camembert (pending registration)., and therefore cannot tolerate an uncontrolled dissemination of our intellectual property in places we have deemed incompatible with our corporate ethics & integrity guidelines.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cultural victory status: achieved.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Probably better than a lot of actual French champagne, what with climate change moving the actual best champagne zone in Europe to little England.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Counterpoint: if the end of a hidden subsidy for salmiakki leads to their disparition, it will be a victory of the free market.
Please recant your genocidal views.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

blowfish posted:

Probably better than a lot of actual French champagne, what with climate change moving the actual best champagne zone in Europe to little England.

England has never produced any kind of drinkable alcoholic beverage so I'm not worried.
Also lol California will be burnt to a cinder before the plains of proud Champagne start producing bad wine because of climate change.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please recant your genocidal views.

Salmiakki is disgusting and I apologize to no one.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
finns love for salmiak is forgiven if only because they make really good licorice

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do you actually know what communism is? Hollande was a lovely neo-liberal like the rest of European leaders. Only he was wearing the centre-left uniform. Now the centre-right will take his place and enact exactly the same policies but with the ability to be more openly racist. You're a dickhead.

Want to know some other things that idiots think are communist but aren't?

1. North Korea
2. Putin's Russia
3. Venezuela
4. Jeremy Corbyn
5. Norway

So what is Communism then? Lets get the definition straight here. Wouldnt want to step on any toes. Are you a communist?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Isn"t this the province or communidad that banned foie gras?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

LeoMarr posted:

So what is Communism then? Lets get the definition straight here. Wouldnt want to step on any toes. Are you a communist?

Communism is when everybody laughs and is happy. If a system creates non-happy or even repressed and/or starving people it can't be Communism. But next time it will work, promise!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Banning foie gras is a good thing. I wish France would do it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Banning foie gras is a good thing. I wish France would do it.

I'm revoking your french card right this instant.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I'm revoking your french card right this instant.

agreed *makes tasty leberwurst toast*

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

It doesn't mean a thing to me, I'm a world citizen.

Seriously tho animal cruelty is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Ban corrida and recreational hunting while you're at it